bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 11, 13 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 11, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 11, 13 1:02 AM
Morning, all...

This game has 9 chapters plus 3 bonus chapters.

There are 2 gameplay modes: Easy and Normal.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. Unfortunately, either way you often get 2 cursors, one that shows you the way and one that is your own.

In the top middle left-hand side is the MENU button. Click on it and you can get to the Options, the SG (strategy guide) or exit the game.

At the bottom left is your Diary.

At the right is your HINT button, which takes 1 1/2 minutes to refill in Easy mode.

Also at the right is your Coin Chest. Throughout the game you will find coins - your cursor will change into a hand when you hover over one.
Also throughout the game you will find chests, which can only be opened with a certain amount of coins.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are partly interactive. Those parts are nicely done.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 1 minute and 45 seconds to fill in Easy mode.

At the middle top right-hand side is your MAP (footprints). It shows you where you are, where actions are needed, and you can use it to jump. It will also show in which scene coins can be found (not sure if this only applies to Easy mode).

The Inventory list can be locked to stay on top, or unlocked to disappear until needed.

In certain scenes, you can scroll left and right. Just move your cursor to either left or right, and more of the scene will be revealed.

--- --- ---

When I started the game I thought I had played it before. And I have, a long long time ago I beta-tested this game. I am sorry to say that I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now.

Movements are on the slow side. When you click on an item to be put into the inventory, it takes a little too long to get in there.

I don't like the graphics. Sorry, but although I can see all objects perfectly well, I don't like this particular type of graphics, a tad rough-looking.

I don't like the fact that I get 2 cursors at times: the one that points to a certain direction is separate from my own, and it doesn't matter whether you use the custom or system cursor.

The one thing I like about this game is the collection of coins, and finding the chests to open them with. Other than that, this game is not for me. But I am sure lots of gamers will enjoy this game. To those: enjoy.

Cheetah68
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Cheetah68 on May 11, 13 1:37 AM
I should have 20 coins to open the chest. I have only 16 and simply I can not find the other ones, so I can not continue the game. I did everything I could but there are no coins. Maybe I am not too good, but it is very annoying so I will not buy this game.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on May 11, 13 1:42 AM
I bought this game because I am truly interested in the story and would like to see how it ends. The double cursors don't bother me. The voiceovers are done well. Another thing, this game is not H0G heavy. In the hour I played 2 scenes and they're interactive. I love collecting the coins for the chests, it's something different.

Story: Capt William asks you to go in search of his wife Isabelle.

Graphics: The graphics could of been a little sharper. They do look a little rugged, but you can see what everything is suppose to be. I have great monitors, and on other games there is no problem, but this game is tad bit off.

Hint system: Great for inside and outside the H0G scenes. It never bothered me in the least how long it takes to charge.

MIni games: Not to hard or easy just right for me.

Map: It's a jump map and done quite well. It tells you where actions can be done, where you are, and if you still have coins there. I like the maps that tell you where actions can be done so that way I use the strategy guide a lot less. Just use the map.

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 2:14:03 AM PST

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on May 11, 13 1:56 AM
Good morning everyone Get out of town are you kidding me with this game. This is one of the worst games I've seen in a long time poor graphics, slow movement, 25 cursors popping up everywhere pointing in 25 different directions and taking you absolutely nowhere simply put the game was shocking. The story may have been pretty decent but the game play and graphics killed every chance the story had to be good. Within the first few minutes your back and forth running around like a headless chicken with no clue of what you are suppose to be doing and then there is a treasure chest you have down in the right hand corner and you collect random gold coins and they are placed in the chest so when you come across other chest that are locked and if you have enough gold coins you can unlock it and have whatever it contains are you kidding me who's bright idea was that. The game play is all over the place it's just clunky and slow moving while the graphics are easy to see they are just not appealing to look at they look very old and just poorly done. Needless to say I want be getting this one nor will I get the se when it's released or when the se becomes a DD. Definitely not ce material here I don't care how many extras you throw in this one is just shocking ! This is only my personal feeling about the game so please don't let my opinion discourage you from trying the game it's worth the demo and I'm sure that many will like this one as for me no thank you. Have fun everybody

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 2:05:40 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on May 11, 13 1:56 AM
Captains and Pirates and Ghosts -- oh my!

Finally a game I am eager to play -- there is a lot of "game" here. I was about to tell you there were no HO scenes, but I eventually came across one. Still, there would seem to be more adventure and puzzles than HOs. And the adventure is fairly complex -- a lot to accomplish, a lot to remember. Black bar info may hint at what to do, but it doesn't tell all. Two modes of play -- hard mode has no sparkles. I was playing in that mode and realized that inventory items have no "hand" cursor to indicate you've found something.

Wide screen
Voice overs
Collectibles -- you must find them to proceed through the game
Interactive HOs
Inventory items to combine
Fast travel Map indicates if there are collectibles left to find or tasks left to do.
Puzzles -- some are unique but nothing mind bending so far
Artwork appropriate to the time and place
Some scenes move from side to side
Music fits the atmosphere
9 Chapters and 3 Bonus Chapters
Strategy Guide, music and concept art

The story: The Captain and his Wife sailed the seas together. When on land they lived in a grand castle. The Captain's wife disappeared one day. Sometime later the Captain washed up on shore dressed in Pirate's clothes. Hard to know why you are brought to the scene, but you meet the wife's ghost; she wants help to reunite with her husband. I played for 40 minutes and that's about all I know. I quit to write this review, but at a point where I really wanted to know what might happen next. That in itself says a lot.

I did find a bit of a lag with scene changes. Not so much if I used the map to change locations.

The strategy guide is found within the game when you click "Menu".

Half price makes this game even more tempting.

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 10:07:28 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 11, 13 2:28 AM
And another one bites the dust --- sorry, but here is yet another game with potential due to the story they are trying to tell, but has way too many flaws that keep it at the much less than ordinary level.

The story itself is interesting, but is held back because it takes forever to get going. That, plus the game mechanics are very slow. Going from one scene to the other takes way too long. The hint button takes entirely too long to charge, as well as the skip button in the puzzles. And, there is the 2 cursor issue already mentioned which adds to the clunkiness of the game. And accessing the inventory is clumsy, at best. And navigation is poor, and confusing.

And the graphics, while clear, are very rough and very dark ---- and the brightness slider in the options menu doesn't help much at all.

I really like the idea of collecting coins to further your progress, but it would be nice if you could see the coins. Some are obvious, but others are so blurry and indistinct that you either have to use the SG to find them, or just go on and hope you don't need them all.

The mini games are nothing fresh or different, and they are overly simple.

The CE package is lacking (SG, bonus game, and the concept art and music are locked ----oh, darn). It really bothers me when games this poor have the temerity to want double money.

So that's 2 very disappointing CEs this week, and this one I would have no interest in as a SE either, or even a DD ---- as I said, there's a story somewhere in this mess if you want to go to the trouble to find it. You can try it for yourself, but may very well resent the waste of time. A big

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on May 11, 13 2:57 AM
Cheetah68 wrote:I should have 20 coins to open the chest. I have only 16 and simply I can not find the other ones, so I can not continue the game. I did everything I could but there are no coins. Maybe I am not too good, but it is very annoying so I will not buy this game.
In the top right hand corner there is a map that shows you what area the coins are in. The guide with show you in purple where they are located. I hope this helps.

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 2:57:53 AM PST

cmh47
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by cmh47 on May 11, 13 3:24 AM
I usually enjoy playing any CE game but this one is of a poor quality for a CE. Yes there is an interactive map that allows you to jump and shows you where there are coins to collect or actions to do which is a good thing. However the coins that you need to progress through the game are that small an blurry you can't find most of them without using the hint button which even in easy mode takes far too long to recharge. So of the scenes are a bit rough regarding graphics and dark which makes it even more difficult to find objects. This is definitely one CE game that I will be giving a miss which is a shame as I did like the story line it made a change from the usual story lines of late. I always read the reviews that are posted but even if there are a lot of negative reviews for the game I always try for my self so anyone reading this I suggest you do the same and judge for yourself, after all every one is different and what one person may dislike you might have a different opinion. Yes there are a lot of chapters in the main body of the game and 3 in the bonus content but other than the bonus play there is not as much other bonus content that you usually get with a CE game so again some fishies might feel disappointed in that regard.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on May 11, 13 4:00 AM
On the plus side, this game has adjustable brightness--YAY! More games need to have that.

On the negative side... even with the brightness cranked all the way up, the palette of the graphics is very dark--lots of dim blues, greys, blacks and browns. The coins are often grey and indistinct as well, blending into the background. It was nearly impossible to find them...and yet you have to have the coins if you're going to make any progress in the game. My eyes have trouble distinguishing very tiny objects that blend in easily with the background. The hint button was not very useful, sadly, Insisting on pointing out that I had things to do in other areas when I was trying to collect the coins in this one. It was also painfully slow to refill, even in Casual Mode--close to two minutes, at least.

Since the coins are a requirement rather than an optional achievement, I'll have to skip buying this game.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 11, 13 4:16 AM
Played 35 minutes, normal mode

- 2 modes, normal, casual

- You have to click on menu to access the SG but you don't exit the game

- 9 chapters, 3 bonus ones

- Notebook

- You sometimes have to combine items in your inventory to get an object

- Interactive map

- Voice over

- In some areas you can move your cursor left or right to move in the scene

- Throughout the game you collect coins that you need to open different chests, in them are items that you need

- In normal mode, you can see on the map where there are coins, don't know if they show in casual

- Hint takes a while to refill, even in normal mode (over a minute), it's useful outside H0

- Skip button

- Interactive H0

- Mini games are easy up to what I played

- Excellent graphics

- Good music

Captain Williams used to sail all over the world with his beloved wife. She's seen less and less and then disappears. One day the corpse of the captain is washed ashore, dressed as a pirate. You investigate. I'll be going against the majority as I have loved what I played, it's a very intriguing story, there are a lot of clever things to achieve, the graphics are superb, it's an instant buy for me.

Now that I've finished the game, I just wanted to add that this game is fantastic. 3 chapters in the bonus play are really worth it. Thank you so much devs, a long time I haven't enjoyed a game so much. Gorgeous graphics and such a good music. And it makes such a difference to have a real story, not just the usual stuff of good fighting evil. THANK YOU

(This is still my subjective, humble opinion )

Edited on 05/14/2013 at 11:05:02 AM PST

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on May 11, 13 5:12 AM
Making my guppy swim against the raging tide here. I liked this game. I've been playing older games, so the graphics and art work were really up to par. Love the story line, like the fact that you collect coins, in order to open chests, love the map, which is not only interactive, BUT you can jump locations, AND it tells you where there are coins. The only thing I did not like was the music. Had to mute that. I think the directional arrow are there so you know that you have a corner to turn, or some other place to go. I remember some people complaining in a different game that they did not know how to get to a particular place, so I don't think its to annoy us. When you get to the 2nd floor, there are two arrows and with out that I would not have immediately figured out there were more stairs around a corner.
Aside from that, I think this game is beautifully done and since it's half off this weekend, give it a go!!

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on May 11, 13 5:36 AM
I quite enjoyed the sample portion of this game, which I finished inside the usual one hour demo.

I find the storyline interesting and have no problem with graphics or gameplay.

The music is IMO theme appropriate and well done.

I like that the hint system works outside the HOs, though I wish it refilled a little faster!

It does have some extras, though, and of course a SG.

However, sadly IMO it does not have all the bells and whistles that I expect in a CE game.

More of a Deluxe Edition than a CE for me!

Because of the Sale this weekend, a DE price is what I will be paying for it which I am happy with.

As always, give it a try and decide for yourself! Happy Gaming All!

BK

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 11, 13 5:38 AM
wow, some of these reviews are brutal. Actually, I guess I'm in the minority. Give the game a chance. It is dark, it is moody..nothing like gallows in the background, but I thought it was well drawn, ok gameplay and well worth the cut in price. But I might bite my words later as I play on. I did go ahead and buy it.
The plot line is a little thin, but wandering around castles is a favorite thing to do..especially on a rainy sat morning. Beats fighting for some seed ball we all went through.
The hint system in this game is overly generous. A little TOO helpful. That should be an option to dial off the blue light that you follow around.
Picking up coins is fun. Opening treasure chests of course is fun. Looking at skeletons is not.
Give it a chance before you blow it off.
Kris

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on May 11, 13 7:06 AM
Cheetah68 wrote:I should have 20 coins to open the chest. I have only 16 and simply I can not find the other ones, so I can not continue the game. I did everything I could but there are no coins. Maybe I am not too good, but it is very annoying so I will not buy this game.

So far I like the game. My only complaint is it runs a little slow. As far as finding the coins, the map tells you where they are and if you still can't find them, the hint tells where they are.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on May 11, 13 7:31 AM
The story begins with tale of a loving couple - a sea captain and his bride, Isabelle. One day Isabelle disappears and William apparently dies of a broken heart. As you begin the game, Isabelle’s ghost appears and asks you to reveal the truth of their story.

The game automatically opened in widescreen but in options you will find buttons for either fullscreen or widescreen as well as three volume adjustments and one for screen brightness. There are two modes of gameplay – casual and normal. The graphics are very good and clear but the people appear somehow cartoonish - not my favorite. The game also seems dull and dingy with a lot of brown monotones at least at the beginning. Your journal or diary is in the lower left and contains notes and objectives. Each page has a small box where a mark will appear when you have completed that objective. The hint button seems agonizingly slow to recharge, which is another strike against this game.

Throughout the game you look for gold coins that then allow you to open chests and acquire important objects. I admit that although the story is interesting, I can’t get past the rainy, dreary dark scenes at the beginning of the game to generate enough interest on my part to go ahead and purchase the game. I think devs need to realize that we need to be drawn into a game and the story if they are to sell their games. I am so tired of dark and gloomy graphics and rain in games. It is time for some more colorful games.

IMHO, this one is a pass for me, unless other gamers can spark my interest and convince me it is worth two game credits or even the sale price.

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on May 11, 13 8:11 AM
Actually this seems to have strong positives and strong negatives. The opening story is illustrated in Disney-like cartoons. Childish. But the story is dark and gets darker as you go.

The cursor-like navigation pointers weren't hard to use but unnecessarily fussy. Irritating.

The artwork (after the Disney intro) is just gorgeous. The music -- a woman wailing musically non-stop -- is terrible but could be muted.

The game killer for me was the coins. You MUST buy some items with coins, and of course I hadn't found enough of them. I really didn't want to go back through the entire strategy guide and retrace every action to find the coins I'd overlooked, so I clicked "help" to guide me to a missed coin. Know what it gave me? The message, "Go find coins."

!!!

So that's enough for me. Bye bye.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on May 11, 13 8:43 AM
Swimming against the tide as usual...
The game has a sad and mournful feel to it that I quite enjoy. The graphics that fill my screen are clear and fit the mood of the tale. I like that I have the choice to lock or unlock the inventory bar. I too thought the needed coins simple to find between the map and grabbing hand but still an interesting twist. The puzzles though not hard have a unique twist to them that I have found entertaining. Multiple combining of collected objects is a feature I always like. The "double" arrows (direction points) that have been referred to occur quite frequently in other games so was not a factor with me. The only negative I found was the music which got repetitive so I turned it way down and left the ambiance up.The adventure feel along with the increased challenge and lower quantity of H0 scenes is a nice break from recent games. I find the story curious and want to continue. Who doesn't like a good Pirate tale?
With the discount price it's a buy for me.

Arrrgggg
Try before you buy.
Happy Gaming

Edited on 05/11/2013 at 8:44:06 AM PST

asccsa
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by asccsa on May 11, 13 9:45 AM
I agree with Valdy. This game is too slow. First time in many years that I see 2 arrows in a game. First time also for this devs. I think they are not in the big 5. Completely different than Ears or Elephant or Gogii. Even the half price it is not a buy for me.

Go to: