bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 16, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 16, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on May 16, 13 1:09 AM
This team did a superior job with this game. The voice actors were exceptional. This game to me surpassed a 10/10 rating. I base this on the beta version. This review is solely written to let the devs know how I feel about their game.

Story: As the game starts, you see your hubby walking into the woods, and as you follow him he tells you to stay back. Of course you don't listen and follow him. He does have a dream of a woman becoming him, and a short time passes and the lighthouse blows up. She has to get the lighthouse back working again, or otherwise the evil trees of the forest will devour the town. Then she has to look for her husband.

Graphics: Absolutely gorgeous. This team has a top notched art team.

Music: Fits the game beautifully. I loved it.

H0G scenes: They are fun. Each item you find gives you a piece of the item that will end up in your inventory. I did run into one FROG, so I don't know if there will be more.

Mini games: Fun. Not to hard or easy just right. Still like to know how they did that movie mini game. The mini games are totally original.

Kudos to this team for a fantastic job well done. I am so looking forward to playing the full version. Thank you.

Edited on 05/16/2013 at 1:46:29 AM PST

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on May 16, 13 1:35 AM
I agree with sassylassie, this game is excellent. I've only played 29 minutes but it will be a buy for me. I like the idea that you can customise your settings (options). The graphics are beautiful (reminds me of the 'Drawn' games).
I'm in the UK and it downloaded well this morning (which is a change), I was beginning to think I would never again get Tomorrows Game Today and was destined to always get Todays Game Tomorrow.

Edited on 05/16/2013 at 1:39:50 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 16, 13 3:13 AM
This is a nice enough game for a sale, or later as a SE. Probably no more than 5 or 6/10. To me, only a very rare game can be a 10/10 ---- certainly not every CE that comes down the pike as some seem to think. (And I can't imagine what "beyond" 10/10 is. LOL) Here's why:

The story is just ok, starting out with no explanation as to how or why things are as they are. Just a husband running off as he tells his wife to stay back. Huh??? I hope that much more will be revealed as you plod, I mean play through so as to make some sense. I just thought the devs would have given us more background info, but I see that did not change after the beta version I played. So it becomes boring pretty soon.

The graphics are quite nice, especially if you like purples and blues.

The HOS offer a different take on collecting the item you need by revealing pieces of it as you find the different objects, but the junkpile scenes are a minus.

The voice acting is good, but the mouths don't even move like they should when the actors are speaking. What's up with that?

The puzzles are extremely simple, way too simple ---- and we've seen variations of them all in many other games. No originality here.

And the CE package is suspect ---- I think, anyway. Actually, there were no extras to be found anywhere on the title page. There are collectible acorns, although to what purpose I don't know. Also, the achievements are nothing special ---- they just sort of happen, anyway.

As always, try for yourself, and see what you think ---- for me, just a very average game, at best. And now I'm seeing that the bonus play is quite short. Not a CE title at all.

Ed. for spelling, punctuation, and reality.

Edited on 05/16/2013 at 11:26:34 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 16, 13 3:14 AM
Oh boy, oh boy - only some "Mad Head" (literally, lol) could confront us with so complex game in which when you are sure that you finished the job - eh eh, you didn't... there is more...

Yes, I agree with Sassie, it's weird and interesting (my point of view), and quite hard... . I have to click on many objects, perhaps there is hidden something - harsh time for a lazy me. But it's funny and challenging.

The map helps a lot, but the hints give you sometime weird suggestions. For instance, it's clear that I need a key or an object to open a diary (because it's signed with +), but sometime it's stuck on some + that you don't have the pair (?) - may be because it doesn't have what to hint...

Anyway, it's fun, and excellent game ideas by the developers. Thank you!

[Post New]by rmscoma on May 16, 13 3:40 AM
I have to ask - are there any snakes at all in the game? I have the worst phobia ever. The game sounds like a winner from the few reviews. But I will not download (as there is no blog walk through for CEs ) Appreciate feed back.
thanks

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 16, 13 3:48 AM
I loved this demo; gorgeous graphics, a really different take on the HOS and the puzzles were good fun (although tempted to give up on the little boat steering one as I kept getting blown onto the rocks, I stuck with it and got through!). Good story, customisable options for sparkles, hints etc., automatic widescreen, nice voice-overs and I got a pet which I had to name but thankfully not dress up!

I swore off buying CE's for financial reasons but in this case I'm making a rare exception. This one looks too good to wait for the SE!

ETA: rmscoma, there were no snakes in the demo if that helps.

Edited on 05/16/2013 at 3:50:15 AM PST

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on May 16, 13 4:13 AM
Have to agree with the others, this is a great game. A lot of new twists on the usual format and an original storyline. Graphics first class.

Very worthy of a CE..

je_peche
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by je_peche on May 16, 13 6:06 AM
Morning Fishies!

Am buying this game, but just wondering if there are any morphs or collectibles that we should be aware of?

Thanks!

mehebert
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by mehebert on May 16, 13 6:25 AM
The game looks great and very interesting. However where is the strategy guide? every CE should have one and I couldn't find one in this game. Not worth a CE if no strategy guide to help you along. In the first HO scene it gives you a clue but when you hit on the hint button it just flashes the hint and clue. Not worth a CE for me if there isn't one. I played casual mode.
If there is one can someone please help?
Thanks,
M

[Post New]by SnowFlake999 on May 16, 13 6:31 AM
As soon as I finished with the first 60 minutes of the game and I started downloading the complete game. I guess that already tells you enough about how I see this game, but let me say a couple of things about it anyway.

First, I guarantee you, as soon as you are confronted with the first scene of this game, you will see what I mean when I say that Child of the Forest is one of the prettiest games out there! Every detail looks hand painted and the scenes are so well thought out you will spend minutes just staring at them and noticing all the little details.

Second, I will join the rest of the people who wrote the same thing here and say that I very much welcomed the customized difficulty feature. The notion of me being able to control how long I want to wait before the skip feature becomes available or whether or not I want a hint button is a really welcome one which significantly improves the gameplay.

The third great thing I've noticed is that the developers managed to prove that just because this is casual gaming the story doesn't have to be simple and boring. Once the first couple of minutes are over, you will be left with a strong urge to find out what happens next, the urge that will follow you for the rest of the first hour.

As a conclusion, I loved what I've seen so far and I can't wait for the download to finish so that I can continue the adventure! 10/10

P.S.
mehebert wrote:The game looks great and very interesting. However where is the strategy guide? every CE should have one and I couldn't find one in this game. Not worth a CE if no strategy guide to help you along. In the first HO scene it gives you a clue but when you hit on the hint button it just flashes the hint and clue. Not worth a CE for me if there isn't one. I played casual mode.
If there is one can someone please help?
Thanks,
M

Strategy Guide is available in the game interface - it's a book located bellow the hint-giving lighthouse. Hope that helps

Edited on 05/16/2013 at 7:07:54 AM PST

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on May 16, 13 6:37 AM
Strategy guide is the book at the lower LEFT of your screen. (Not the journal, that's in the bottom right corner.)

Wow, great game! Lots of depth of play, layers on layers. Really well done.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on May 16, 13 7:26 AM
Sorry , I had to be the one to be the only review that didn't care for this game. My laptop doesn't usually have issues lagging between scenes and slow scene changes and in this game , it did. Playing just the one hour demo, I felt like I didn't get very far and didn't get much accomplished for playing for an hour. It was a lot of going back and forth and too much stuff going on all at once. You needed objects , but you were stuck with the wrong ones and it took awhile to find the right ones - too much running around and getting nowhere. That's how I felt anyway. I wouldn't buy this . I don't remember if I have played the previous games in this collection, but I won't be going out of my way to find them. This is unusual for me. I usually post good reviews 9 times out of 10.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 16, 13 7:58 AM
Afternoon all...

There are 5 chapters plus the Bonus chapters.

There are Achievements.

There are 4 gameplay modes: Casual, Experienced, Masterful (oooh), and Custom.
In Custom mode you can set the difficulties to your preference with, for example, the lowest setting for both the Hint and Skip button being 15 seconds.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. At the time of writing this review, you only get the custom cursor, whether you tick it or the system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is proper widescreen.

The first HOS (hidden object scene) is fragmented. The next one was an interactive HOS with a list of objects. Graphics in the HOS are clear and clean, and objects are easy to find.

Puzzles can be skipped. In the time I played so far, I didn't stumble over one HOS after another, nor did I find a lot of puzzles. Lots of investigating to do though.

The HINT button in the shape of a blue Lighthouse, is at the left. It shows you exactly where to go outside of the HOS.

Just left of the HINT button is the SG (strategy guide). It stays open where you last left it open.

Just right of the HINT button you can find your collection of ACORNS. You can find 34 in all, and the number will tell you how many you have found already.

Also at the left, at the bottom, is the MENU button.

At the very right on the right side is your Journal. From here you can also access your MAP and find your Objectives and Achievements.

The MAP can also be accessed separately. It is left of the Amulet, which is in between the Journal and the Map. It's all a little cramped on both ends of the bottom line, so be careful where you click.

Before you can use the map you will first have to find the different pieces.
The map shows you where you have been (red cross), where you are right now (white cross), and where actions are needed (sparklies). The map can also be used to jump.

And at the very bottom on the right you can also access your Achievements separately.

The Inventory can be locked to stay on top or unlocked, so it disappears until needed.

Sometimes you will find items in the Inventory that have a + sign next to them. This does not always mean that you can combine them with other objects. You know an object is ready to be used when the + sign glows blue.

--- --- ---

I am loving this game. Bought it right away this morning after playing for a short while. Took me a while to download the full version, but now I’ve got it and can’t wait to get back into the game.

The graphics are wonderful - just the way I like them. Gameplay is fun and interesting. More of an adventure game than a solid HOG, and not too many puzzles - so far.

When characters are talking, they don’t move their lips. I don’t mind too much, but some people might find it irritating. And of course they have to do something about that cursor. It won’t change to a system cursor if you delick it. But the custom cursor is not too big and it is not ugly, and I have no problems with it, so I am happy to use it.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on May 16, 13 8:56 AM
I really enjoyed playing the demo. The ability to customize the gameplay settings is a very nice The puzzles are different and fun. There are achievements and an object to collect, although I am not sure what collecting the object did. The graphics were amazing, and as someone else mentioned, similar to Drawn. I only have 2 punches left on a card, so I am not sure when I will buy the game, but I will be getting the CE for sure.

pjplanner
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by pjplanner on May 16, 13 10:52 AM
rmscoma wrote:I have to ask - are there any snakes at all in the game? I have the worst phobia ever. The game sounds like a winner from the few reviews. But I will not download (as there is no blog walk through for CEs ) Appreciate feed back.
thanks

I have so far come across one snake in one of the HOS - it is quite prominent but it does not move and is not one of the objects to find. I don't know if there are any more as I have not finished the game but one may mean more. Hope this helps

Eucritta
Minnow
Minnow
204 Posts

[Post New]by Eucritta on May 16, 13 12:04 PM
I've just finished the demo, and I'm buying. I'd not planned on buying any CEs this month, but this is just too good to pass up. It's got almost everything I want and just about nothing I don't. I'm doing the happy dance.

- Story and backstory are integrated into the game, becoming part of the overall mystery the player must solve.

- Clues and context are provided by lots of clickable elements within the scenes, not just as puzzle rewards or cut-scenes.

- Puzzles and HO scenes are pleasantly varied, and so far none of the puzzles have been tedious grinders. I especially like the double-find HO variants, where each found object finds a bit of something that must be pieced together at the end, and the boat-navigation puzzle, which was fun (loved the kraken!) without being too difficult for my arthritic hands.

- The voice acting is very good, and since the mouths of the characters don't move, there's none of that unpleasant 'chewing the cud in the uncanny valley' quality to them. The score is appropriate and doesn't seem repetitive - indeed, it's mostly in the background, and that's just fine by me.

- There are no big info-dumps, no seven-jawed helper-characters to explain everything away, the angst level is low & wallow-free, and there are no useless cutesy side-games. The achievements are very silly, but that's okay by me. I wish there were morphing objects rather than the acorns to collect, but it's a minor point.

- There's no sense of place, which is a disappointment - but hey, man-eating trees make up for a lot.

Thank you, Devs.

ETA: After completion of game - the game wasn't as strong as the demo seemed to indicate; as play progressed, more was given away. However, my only major quibble is that the story was weak, a cod-folkloric culturally-appropriative mish-mash that even the characters seemed to lose interest in about half-way in. The game and bonus game was fun, I had a great time playing this through the afternoon as I did laundry - it's just episodic enough to be easy to put down and pick back up again - and I'm looking forward to replaying some of the puzzles & HO scenes (which are part of the bonus). I'm glad I bought it.

For the player who asked about snakes, btw, there are indeed snakes in the game as it progresses. For others who might be phobic, there are also spiders and big webs. There are not, however, any very grimy scenes.

Edited on 05/16/2013 at 6:19:17 PM PST

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on May 16, 13 12:32 PM
This is a very well planned out game. I finished the whole game (including the bonus chapter).

The graphics, voice overs, music, unique hidden object games were all excellent.

Lips do move in some of the dialogue, but not all. Not a problem with me since most times they don't match to the spoken language.

Collect acorns in the game. In the Bonus game, morphing objects.

In my opinion, This is a game well worth the price.

Bonus chapter is a little short, but it goes along with the game.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars. If the bonus game was longer, I would have been 5/5 stars.

Happing gaming and enjoy this gem. Thank BFG and Devs.

Edited on 05/16/2013 at 12:45:48 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 16, 13 12:37 PM
I have had no more space to add things to my review, but I just wanted to add now that the iHOS are just wonderful. Don't recall that I have come across those before. Quite unique. I was saying just the other day that I am starting to get bored with HOS, and even the interactive ones, and here is a game that adds yet a new twist to them.

I also love the extras you get on the way. All I will say is: Hamster.

This is a really wonderful game, IMO, and I just love all those extras that are added to the game. You don't always see or get everything right away, but bit by bit, things come your way.

Oh, and did I mention that I love the mini games!

Well, I am off to play some more. Happy gaming, everyone.

ETA: Just wanted to correct myself regarding the map: The white crosses are areas that are done, the red crosses are areas where you still need to do things, sparklies around a cross means that actions are needed, and when you see a red circle around a cross, that's where you are. Sorry about that.

Edited on 05/16/2013 at 2:20:24 PM PST

Go to: