bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Solitaire Egypt

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 16, 13 12:49 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Solitaire Egypt? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Solitaire Egypt page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Solitaire Egypt

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 16, 13 12:49 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 16, 13 3:07 AM
Morning, all...

The download time for today's CE is so slow that I decided to give this one a go first.

Well... I love solitaire games, and especially the 1 higher or 1 lower type. Not sure where to begin: If you make it through the first 5 minutes - congrats. I was confused right at the start.

The cards themselves can't be changed. You have to play with the images that are on them. And they are so multi-coloured and multi-patterned, and the numbers were in a colour that made it hard for me to see them properly.

This pack of cards with the Egyptian motives (campaign mode) is a terrible strain on the eyes.

So I went over to the "Free play" mode (here you can play 2 different variations), and although the Egyptian images are replaced by a simple set of cards, the graphics are again a strain on the eyes, and it didn't make it any better by making the cards so small.

On top of that, if you click on a Hint or an Undo and such, points will be deducted from your score - yes, there is a score field as well.

I didn't see a "shop" where you could buy power-ups. I think you just get them during the game. At least, the tutorial didn't tell me about shops. What I have to do is rebuild part of Egypt, and under almost every last card on the table, you will find material (a bit like "The Chronicles of Emerland Solitaire", where you have to find material under the last card on the table).
But they had a shop where you could buy power-ups, but I don't think this game has it.

So anyway, this is a no-buy for me, simply because the cards were such a strain on my eyes.

Forgot to mention: While the game installs, 2 boxes come up, one for DirectX, and one for Maintenance of some kind, asking whether you want whatever it is fixed or something else done - can't remember what that was. I declined the involvement of both boxes, and the game played just fine for me - Win7, 64-bit laptop.

Edited on 05/16/2013 at 4:44:39 AM PST

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on May 16, 13 5:14 AM
No, I don't think so. I love solitaire, and this game had potential, with its building aspect, but I agree with Valdy--it's not worth the eyestrain. I was unable to play long enough to learn much about the power-ups, or the building part. I rarely get headaches, but could feel one coming on! The Freeplay option is just boring, plus a reverse timer; you start with 1000 points, and it counts down, one second per point. That would put me off, if the headache didn't. Where, oh where, is the promised sequel to Faery Solitaire?

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on May 16, 13 5:16 AM
Sigh. I loved the graphics, lovely theme music, fun gameplay, nice little story bits, I really like solitaire games ... but the cursor was sticky and wandery, I switched between the two offered and both were the same. That's a deal breaker for me

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on May 16, 13 10:22 AM
With hundreds of different types of solitaire games to choose from why is it that game makers choose the most boring with the least amount of strategy? One would think the makers of this game had never picked up a deck of cards in their life. And dressing it up with the hackneyed Egyptian motif didn't add anything to it. Even the other golf type solitaire games I've played on the computer were way more interesting than this one was. That's not saying much.

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on May 16, 13 12:06 PM
I must agree with Valdy. Very hard on the eyes.

I have quite a few solitaire games that I can play. This one will not be
added to the list.

No sale here even with a PCC or $2.99 sale.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 16, 13 12:09 PM
I liked the game and didn't have any problems. I do have a couple of others and don't know if I need another one or not but will play to the end of trial and then make my decision? Think the best Solitaire game is Fairway. Love that one..

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on May 16, 13 12:25 PM
Nice card game, EXCEPT extremely hard on the eyes in "Campaign Mode". The "Egyptian" styling is to bright and strains the eyes in a very short time.

No buy for me.

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on May 16, 13 9:39 PM
I do like Egyptian themed games, but I am afraid this is a no buy.

As others have said, the card design in campaign mode is very eye straining. A shame there wasn't a choice of designs. I got to about level 4 and the cards were really small to compensate for a larger layout.

Too many colours + tiny cards = no.

shasta24
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
472 Posts

[Post New]by shasta24 on May 18, 13 6:42 AM
Downloaded the game based on the 5-star review on the download page. Have several of these games and like them a lot! Yet did not like this one...at all! From the install (with 2 unrelated program install messages) to the hokey-pokey mouse. Only lasted 5 minutes. Don't even bother to spend your valuable time to download! I'm thinking this game was not well screened by BFG. What are your thoughts?

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on May 18, 13 8:13 PM
Wasn't sure about this one at first. Had to install that DirectX again, and initially it caused a slight problem with the black box appearing at the bottom right of my screen, and it was unresponsive. But, after I closed all out and restarted the game demo, it has not happened again, and the game played smoothly. Still however, was not sure I would like this game. Love the Egyptian theme, but I'm not a huge fan of high/low card Solitaire, and prefer the traditional Solitaire games, but I tried the demo on this, and actually liked it.

Graphics are colorful, and I like the look of the cards and layout of same. Didn't seem to be a bit of a challenge at first, but there actually is in getting the score high enough to move along. Can't be certain however, as I only finished half of the demo, and decided to purchase it. Despite the challenge not high up on the radar screen, it is not a bad little game.

In regards to high/low card Solitaire, probably my favorite would be the Fairway Solitaire, because for the longest time now, I've only the last 8 levels to finish, and still can't get a 28 long drive on one of the levels to move along.... LOL Anyway, I like the card graphics in this game, and the theme. Have not reached the building aspect yet though.

Edited on 05/18/2013 at 8:14:50 PM PST

Deahna
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Deahna on May 21, 13 12:47 PM
Not sure if this is going to be a buy for me or not. I love Seven Seas and Avalon Legends and I like the colourful graphics on this, too. The gameplay is easy and smooth and I haven't come across any bugs so far.

BUT the more interesting the layout the smaller the cards. Makes it really hard to relax while playing and impossible to see what's below if visible. Why have the wild cards and joker have to be this huge compared to them? They even overlapped the cards on the layout sometimes.

The solution with the hidden thing where the building materials add up isn't very helpful either as I can never see at a glance if I have reached the level's minimum goal or not. Also don't understand about the gods yet and miss a shop to decide for myself which power-ups I might like to have. What reason is there to collect a score?

Please, do add at least a choice of cards with bigger numbers and more subdued graphics so they are still quite visible when small. Then this will be very likely a buy.

Edited on 05/21/2013 at 12:48:56 PM PST

[Post New]by wootsie on May 21, 13 1:29 PM
I tried to play this game and could only play it in Free Play Mode. When I chose Campaign Mode, I would get the back arrow and could not go any further. What am I doing wrong?

katyshrimp
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by katyshrimp on May 25, 13 6:19 AM
wootsie wrote:I tried to play this game and could only play it in Free Play Mode. When I chose Campaign Mode, I would get the back arrow and could not go any further. What am I doing wrong?

katyshrimp
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by katyshrimp on May 25, 13 6:23 AM
I would agree with most of the postings. I too am accustomed to playing solitaire games like this but it's anone starter for me, tried to play the campaign and simple got stuck with just a 'back' button. Tried the free play and again very glichy! I agree about the grafics too; I'm going back to the tried and tested, Seven Seas.

MSJMOM
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by MSJMOM on May 25, 13 9:23 AM
wootsie wrote:I tried to play this game and could only play it in Free Play Mode. When I chose Campaign Mode, I would get the back arrow and could not go any further. What am I doing wrong?

I had trouble figuring this out also. When you hit Campaign Mode near the bottom left of the screen you will see an obelisk, click on that and a "box" will come up with stars, click on the first star and the game will begin.

[Post New]by ss20cc36 on May 27, 13 5:29 PM
The colors are hard on the eyes, the cursor is beyond weird with the way it is glitchy and wandery. Also, I have noticed that for the papyrus scrolls and the chalices, there is no actual item pictured under the cards. I don't understand how that got past the checkers. You still get credit for finding the item but you never see what it is pictured as. That tells me that someone was in a hurry and did not take the take the time to make a quality game. I actually liked the music, though.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Jun 11, 13 1:07 AM
Just finished the campaign mode, having built the whole city with the pyramids at the end. I have not gotten all golden stars though, lots of bronze, the levels get too difficult to get a gold star. But as the game doesn't seem to care if it's golden or bronze or silver, it's fine by me! It doesn't affect the buildings!

I do like the variety and the Egyptian style, colours, of the cards. Later on in the game the cards change shapes, and even the gameplay changes to some new kind of Solitaire I have never played before (where you have to add cards to get 13). That was interesting Also, I loved the music while playing! It has a nice Egyptian beat to it !

Definitely an interesting Egyptian Solitaire game, worthy of the coupon code.

Rhowennah
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Rhowennah on Sep 1, 13 11:52 AM
I'm a little late on reviewing this game cause I am still trying to figure out the scoring... as soon as I think I understand it, and play for that way, the scoring changes and again I am lost... There is nothing really to tell you what to do... The program runs sluggish for me and that is bothersome... but playable.. I have been through the game once already and am now doing it again to see if I can get gold on all my buildings... Yes, I agree the colors are very bright, and the cards do not seem to sit well on the page... some are bigger than others at times... most of the time they just over lap and you have to guess what is going on... Not my fav solitaire game... Love Fairway the best...

Go to: