bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Princess Isabella: The Rise of an Heir Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on May 18, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Princess Isabella: The Rise of an Heir Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Princess Isabella: The Rise of an Heir Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Princess Isabella: The Rise of an Heir Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on May 18, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 18, 13 1:04 AM
Played 35 minutes casual

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, custom

- Integrated SG which shows 7 chapters + bonus play

- Voice overs

- Notebook

- Hint is useful outside H0 and fills really quickly in casual mode

- Shortly after starting the game, you get :

1. a dragon flute, use it to call the dragon who will help you (located up, right of your screen (you have to assemble it in a mini game)

2. a magic wand, it will allow you to get the power of some creatures and then use it (in casual blue sparkles indicate the animals you can fill it on) -bottom left of your screen, next to the hint button.

- As in all Isabella's games, you must find pieces of portraits to open new scenes

- H0, you don't interact

- Mini games not difficult up to what I played

- The graphics are different from the other games, they remind me of the ones in Awakening.

- Music is rather loud

You're the daughter of Princess Isabella. The 3 fairies who look after you are kidnapped by the evil witch who, of course, is back, as evil as ever. I've been quite disappointed in what I've played, the game didn't grab me at all and it's a no buy for me though the sale is tempting.

Edited on 05/18/2013 at 1:05:41 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 18, 13 1:49 AM
Morning, all...

This game has 7 chapters plus the Bonus chapter.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Custom (in which you can change the refill speed of both the Skip and Hint buttons).

There is Voice-over.

There is NO widescreen for me. (Come on, devs, get with the programme and into the 21. century).

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. You will get 2 cursors when you are pointing the cursor at an active scene. Don't like it much.

Your Journal is at the right.

Just above the Journal is your SG (strategy guide).

At the left is your HINT button.

Just above the Hint button is the Menu button.

Your Magic Wand is in between the Inventory and the Hint button. It can help you to do certain things you can't do by yourself.

You will get a Dragon Flute shorty into the game, which is at the top right-hand corner, and which can be used to get help from the dragon.

The graphics are so-so. I have seen far better ones in other HOGs.

There seem to be quite a few iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes). Graphics in the HOS were OK, but could have been better (nicer).

Puzzles can be skipped. The first one was (once again an old-fashioned thing), a Tower of Hanoi type of game.

--- --- ---

Gameplay is pretty basic, and I was disappointed by the graphics. There was no map - don't know whether one will be added later on in the game, but don't think so - and I didn't see any other extras in the game that would make it CE material for me.

I didn't much care for the game on the whole, and the only thing I really liked about it was the ability to set the Hint and Skip button to fast fill. I won't be getting the CE, and will also give the SE a miss. But that's just how I feel about this game. To those fishies who like it: enjoy.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 18, 13 2:04 AM
The first "Princess Isabella" is one of my all time favorites, while I thought the second one was disappointing. So I was very anxious to see what this one might be like. And, unfortunately, it's very, very disappointing.

First, there is no widescreen ---- just like the first installment. However, that was 4 years ago or so, and there is no reason for this dev not to program their games in widescreen format ---- like every other major dev (even ERS now) has decided to do. The black bars make the game look old, out of style, and out of date. Why this dev (who can't be named) doesn't look around and see what literally all the major devs are doing, I can't imagine. It's inexcusable and really holds the game back. (Yes, I know, it fills the screen for some, but the fact is that it is NOT programmed for WS presentation.)

The graphics are somewhat muted, and the texting is so small (in the cut scenes, the regular play, and especially in the HO lists) that it's annoying. Art work and color selection are reminiscent of games from several years ago.

There is a dragon, a fairy, and an owl ---- and their names are Dragon, Fairy, and Owl. What a sloppy lack of attention to detail. However, each little character has a function in the game, and you don't have to play dress up with any of them.

The mechanics are similar to the other 2 "Isabella" games (portraits, break things, etc.) which is ok if you're into nostalgia, I suppose. But I would think that after all this time they would come up with a few new wrinkles.

The music is the very same from the other games.

The CE package is suspect, at best, but they have everything locked up so it's really hard to tell.

Nothing at all grabbed me about this sub-par game, and it's a real shame to see such a lackluster effort as this when I think of how ground breaking the first one was. But it appears these devs have let this series go the way of their other recent games ---- a fast downhill ride. And they have the temerity to call this a CE! Too bad. A very big .

oasis53
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by oasis53 on May 18, 13 2:11 AM
This is NOT a CE game...maybe if you are 10 years old..very childish..way too easy...boring...must click on an object and click another object to make anything happen at all...whoa BF..disappointing..

menora
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by menora on May 18, 13 3:05 AM
I agree with every other review so far. Very simple game but not very logical. Great for a child but especially as the hint and skip buttons fill so quickly but not really anything there for me. I'll be giving this a miss

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on May 18, 13 3:27 AM
I Had Such Fun!
BASED ON ONE HOUR DEMO

This is a charming game, full of wonder and excitement and fun. You are the DAUGHTER of the previous Princess Isabella (games I’ve never played, so this review is based on this game as a stand-alone, and the backstory is covered well.). You must rescue your mother from the witch’s curse. You have your Dragon and Fairy to help you, and YOUR TASK is to find your 3 fairy godmothers, imprisoned by the witch.

All these allies, and more you meet along the way, mean there are MAGICAL ABILITIES you can use on your quest. These are so many and varied, and require different ways of drawing on them, that they are a challenge in themselves.

The game is BEAUTIFULLY DRAWN in a fantasy style. I've seen better graphics, but not many. And once an evil influence has been REMOVED from a scene, it is TRANSFORMED into something so splendid... Ah! Simply gorgeous.

Everything about this game is OTHERWORLDLY, even the music in some parts. I really enjoyed the VOICEOVERS, except for the fairy, whose high pitched voice was a bit irritating. To be expected from a fairy, though.

The reason for not giving an otherwise delightful game five stars is its treatment of WIDESCREEN. There is only the FULL SCREEN or WINDOWED options and the game looks stretched on my WIDESCREEN. Worse, the CUTSCENES, and there are an awful lot of them, end up covering only a third of the vertical on my screen, leaving thick black areas top and bottom. REALLY irritating, and it detracts from the fabulous look of these videos.

This quest you’re on DOESN’T REQUIRE much in the way of TYPICAL ADVENTURE action. You bounce from PUZZLE TO HO SCENE most of the time. The PUZZLES are VERY EASY, and the HO SCENES are standard LISTS. So I see NOTHING FOR EXPERT ADVENTURE players.

For the rest of us, this is a really fun game that won’t require too much head scratching, although I did need advice from the STRATEGY GUIDE a couple of times. HINT is also USEFUL outside HO Scenes.

There is NO MAP, NO COLLECTIBLES, NO ACHIEVEMENTS, but LOTS of CUTE COMPANIONS.

This game looks okay on length. It took me exactly ONE HOUR to complete the FIRST TWO CHAPTERS, of a total of 7, with a BONUS CHAPTER.

BONUS CONTENT
Nothing here to grab attention.

This is certainly on my MUST HAVE list, but as a SE not a CE.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on May 18, 13 7:05 AM
oasis53 wrote:This is NOT a CE game...maybe if you are 10 years old..very childish..way too easy...boring...must click on an object and click another object to make anything happen at all...whoa BF..disappointing..

That's exactly the word that came to my mind....BORING!!!!!!!

I ended up just clicking the hint button to see where I need to go next.

There was really nothing about this game that appealed to me, not even the music...which I normally just tune out.

Collecting the portrait pieces with that annoying wand......annoying...

If I want to skip a mini game....just skip please, at that point I'm really not interested in the solution.

Developers, if you want to look at a really good game check out Thursday's CE Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest!!!! Now that one kept my interest!!!!

Edited on 05/18/2013 at 7:06:29 AM PST

fluffyalso
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by fluffyalso on May 18, 13 7:14 AM
Not a game for a grown-up, in my opinion. Hard to see graphics. Not very well drawn. There was way to much click this and then click that and then pick the first item up and click it on something else again in order to get second item then...etc etc. After all this,you've only achieved one goal. When you pick up wand you have to place back in holder instead of right clicking if you can't use it. Annoying. No map. Guide is not very good in helping solve puzzles. I didn't find game very intuitive. Wasn't really sure where or what to do next. On the bright side, the options were customizable which was nice, no click penalty on the setting I chose and mandrakes were cute. And puzzles showed solution when skipped. Not a buy for me, not even SE unless real cheap. With some tweaking could have been fun.

Edited on 05/18/2013 at 7:15:33 AM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on May 18, 13 7:19 AM
Well, I had some technical problems with some of the mini-games -- the cursor wouldn't work on items within them. I didn't have a problem with the cursor anywhere else, but the general clunky nature of this game would have stopped me from buying it anyway. I also really hate when you have to take your cursor and go somewhere and click on a directional arrow or magnifying glass, etc., instead of clicking directly to do the action. It wastes time and you have to stumble around looking for the precise place to click. I had trouble exiting some of the small windows that opened up, which was something I haven't experienced in a game in a long time. The colors were greyed and washed out, and the play was very simple. I liked the various talents you have to collect, etc., the music for the dragon was very nice, the story is probably fine, but with 27 minutes remaining, I gave up. By the way, this game did fill my widescreen, although it looked a little stretched on the opening screen, something I didn't see in the game itself. I didn't find the game interesting enough or, frankly, attractive enough to buy -- certainly not as a CE and probably not as an SE either. It did occur to me that someone new to adventure/HOS games and/or someone fairly young might enjoy this game. Just not for me.

Paige63
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Paige63 on May 18, 13 9:12 AM
oasis53 wrote:This is NOT a CE game...maybe if you are 10 years old..very childish..way too easy...boring...must click on an object and click another object to make anything happen at all...whoa BF..disappointing..

I agree 100%! Certainly is not a CE and will not get the SE either. The HOS were junk piles and the graphics were awful. The fairy's voice was annoying! The only positive thing I can say about this game is that you can customize the timing of the hint and skip buttons! No buy for me!

Edited on 05/18/2013 at 9:13:18 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on May 18, 13 10:41 AM
I remember these developers and not long ago, they use to bring us some very good games. That is why I am confused and a bit stunned at the lack of quality that exists in this third installment that follows the tale of Princess Isabella.

The graphics were badly executed along with the artwork. Many of the scenes were too blurry and I really disliked the animation which looked so dated compared to what we have been seeing. The music has merit as do the Voice overs and that really is the most positive thing I can say about the game.

A HOPA game with playmode options that you can customize but regardless of what you choose, there are still sparkles everywhere. That was very annoying along with the helpful hints by our little fairy friend that gave us too much hand holding throughout the game.

You have a journal but no map which also gave way to too much back-tracking and no clue as where to go. You have your magic wand and also you need to collect pieces of portraits that are hidden but the purple question marks were a dead-give-a-way.

Mini-games were childishly simple at times and some had very poor directions that I just merely clicked away and they were solved. I expect that the game will get a bit more interesting as there are quite a few chapters to get through, however with that being said, I definitely will pass on this.

When compared to Thursday's CE Game, Rites of Passage, I am perplexed as to why this game should rank as a Collector's Edition what with the poor graphics, no map, sparkles everywhere and a story that really failed to excite me from the get go.

ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by ediegamer on May 18, 13 1:12 PM
SERIOUSLY??? I played about 5 minutes and had enough. This is NOT a game for adults as far as I'm concerned and I was very disappointed in the graphics and just about everything else, especially that annoying fairy's voice. This is certainly not CE quality and I'm quite disappointed in these devs. who usually put out really good games.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 18, 13 1:14 PM
It was an ok game, not what I would buy as an CE but maybe an SE. Didn't like so many puzzles and things you had to open and use wands and dragon. Fairy didn't really thrill me either. Just wasn't a game like the First.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 18, 13 2:39 PM
Gogii gang;
To be fair to your hard work, you followed right behind an amazing game "Rite of Passage"/ That was an impossible game to follow. Earlier last week the games offered were so thin in talent that your game would have shone. Timing hurt.

The other thing that wacked your game right away was the presentartion on our screens. I notice on your wide work screen everything is full screen..it isn't for players. This is a huge negative statement..like watching an old movie on your new tv..big black bars and everything.

Your graphics were a bit subpar of your usual, the story fine, the voices needed work (they were silly you know) which made us feel like this was a childrens game.

You were also following your own very good games and memories in these forums are strong.
I still bought the game..but I see a lot of folks won't. I think fixing that screen issue would really be worth the $.
Hang in there, we still believe in your team.
kris.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on May 18, 13 4:32 PM
I have the other two Princess Isabella games and love them, so was excited to see this one. Was.

I played for 10 minutes and am already bored. What's with the funny color scheme? It looks like someone's printer ran out of some colors of inks. Nasty..

And that dragon. Where did they get him, some old comic book? this is definitely not a buy for me.

Celticcoco

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 18, 13 5:40 PM
Well I guess I have to buck the trend. This is a bright and breezy game which is a welcome respite from the dank and gloomy games I've seen lately. Easy puzzles that give you time to relax and enjoy the scenery. Try it for yourself you might like it too.
Heck for 2.99 it's a daily double

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on May 19, 13 6:10 AM
3rd in the series, great graphics, easy HOS, hint recharged decently in casual mode. I dont know where's the strategy guide, coz theres one mini puzzles that I gave up, the one with turning all the leaves golden. Is there an interactive map?

I played thru 1hr and didnt even go explore whether there is? Someone pls let me know if there is (interactive map and strategy guide)

HOS is pure HOS though, not interactive HOS, still its fun to play and more puzzle and picture perfect game play, with the 3d live rendering. ITS worth it, would be nice if I knew how to get help other than using hints and zip around via a map

BUY

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on May 19, 13 8:26 AM
Old_Man_River wrote:Well I guess I have to buck the trend. This is a bright and breezy game which is a welcome respite from the dank and gloomy games I've seen lately. Easy puzzles that give you time to relax and enjoy the scenery. Try it for yourself you might like it too.
Heck for 2.99 it's a daily double

I agree with you. It's sweet and charming and pretty. Love the colors, the music, the scenery. And with the sale, I bought this plus Child of the Forest (and a few others), but I would have purchased this anyway. It's lovely!

Go to: