Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

Group play for ND Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake started May 18th, all welcome to join in

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on May 18, 13 1:29 AM
Welcome all to the group play of Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake

popla & I started organizing group plays for LF Adventure games about a year ago. We discovered that playing in a group is so much fun and makes a hard game easier accessible since we all help each other out.

Any and all are welcome to join, you don’t need an invite or any special skills/experience.
Group plays are great for all level of skills, it is fun for experienced players and also for players new to the genre. Know that frustrating feeling of being stuck in an adventure game, having no clue what to do and feeling you should have at least some idea ? Or worst, feeling you are not equipped for these kind of games and you throw your game in some virtual corner and hope to never be reminded of that experience

Guess what? That is not unique, we have all been there and however experienced we have become, we still get stuck. It kind of comes with adventure games, but it also comes with a thrilling experience when you do make progress and get yourself unstuck. Sometimes you just need a little hint or a tiny nudge in the right direction: that’s where group plays come in.

Since we are all playing the same game we can ask each other questions on how to proceed. We all play at our own pace and the fast players are more than willing to help others out. We only ask that you white anything that might be considered a spoiler out. That way we can all make our discoveries at our own pace. If you don’t know how to do this, just ask and we will gladly explain.
Please remember there are absolutely no silly questions, we all remember our first experiences with LF games , how hard it sometimes was and we still have our absolute DUH moments

Group plays are not only about helping one another out, they are also about sharing the game experience, discussing your likes and dislikes . And that usually is big fun. There is no obligation, you can post your progress if you want and tell how you like the game (or not), but you don’t have too. It is perfectly fine if you only pop in when you need help. But please do tell when you finish the game.

Do we have rules?
We don’t have rules that are set in stone, we do however politely ask you to :

Make yourself known as we always put up a players list, that way we know who are fellow players are and if they are still playing or have finished already. Just pop in here and say hi and your name will be added to the players list.

Please white out all text that might be considered a spoiler to others, we all like to discover things at our own pace.

Please don’t make it into a race, just play at your very own pace and enjoy the game. Some players have more time to spend on a game than others, so don’t feel bad if you are behind. The advantage of being behind is that you will have plenty of help.

Just have fun and as Nancy would say: “Dare to Play”

Edited on 05/18/2013 at 1:31:48 AM PST

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

Re:Group play for ND Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake started May 18th, all welcome to join in

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on May 18, 13 1:31 AM
Game play

This an older Nancy Drew game so the set up is somewhat different from what you might be used to.
The menu is made up with a stack of books each representing another choice, for example there is a book for new game, one for load and save, one for continue game, one for second chance, one for game setup, one for credits , one for help and one for exit .

If you want to change something about the sound setting you should check the Game Setup and make your alterations otherwise just click new game.
Some of the options won’t be available when you first start, like continue or second chance.
Second chance is really what it says, cause you can make terrible mistakes that might even kill you in the game , but not to worry! ND games always have second chances, so it is no big disaster. Click second chance and it will lead you to the point just before you made your mistake.

If you have played other Nancy Drew games you are probably familiar with the fact you can chose to play as a Junior or a Senior Detective. You are basically playing the same game but Junior mode is a little easier and this is recommended to new players or to any players who just want a more relaxing game play .

At the start screen there is also a tutorial offered, if you’ve never played a Nancy Drew game is advised to take it .

It tells you how the game operates. Your main item is a magnifying glass, it serves several purposes. In an area of interest it turns red, meaning you can interact with the item there. You might be able to pick it up, get closer to it or move in that direction. If you pick something up it goes to your toolbox situated at the right bottom corner, which is basically an inventory. If you want to step back from a scene you should look for a U-turn arrow at the bottom of your screen. Turning in a room is done with arrows at the side of the screen, clicking there rotates the room, giving you a new perspective and more to explore .

When you talk to someone there is a dialogue screen on the bottom left corner, which can be scrolled, what people say to you is written in blue, Nancy’s text is in white, you often can chose what answer to give back. If there is still dialogue and thus conversation possible: use it, it can give you invaluable information .

Are you stuck? Try calling either Bess or George, they are Nancy’s friends and they often have great tips . The little clock in the left bottom corner gives the real in game time, it can be set forward at times and sometimes that is necessary. But not all games come with this feature and I am not sure this one has it.

One last thing: LF games do not auto save , so do remember to save before you quit! Luckily this game reminds you to do so, by asking if you want to save before quitting .

Have fun and if something is still not clear: just ask! We are all glad to help .

Let the sleuthing begin .

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

Re:Group play for ND Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake started May 18th, all welcome to join in

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on May 18, 13 1:33 AM
Players list

abiloo finished
marianne finished
sunshinej finished
Raven_wing finished
mcquigan finished
barregar finished
harlequen finished
Aquatic finished
Catfish_girl finished
popla playing
Grandmamum playing

Edited on 05/25/2013 at 5:44:03 AM PST

abiloo
Shark
Shark
11,080 Posts

[Post New]by abiloo on May 18, 13 1:45 AM
signing up and ready to goooooo!

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on May 18, 13 3:48 AM
Thanks CfG for the start-up and all the work it takes to do this...
Marianne here and signing in...

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on May 18, 13 4:05 AM
Signing in to play.

Started a little on Friday to see if my old disc works. Whew, worked great. I will probably be playing tomorrow as today is my wedding anniversary

Raven_wing
Herring
Herring
320 Posts

[Post New]by Raven_wing on May 18, 13 4:47 AM
I'm signing in.

Happy Anniversary sunshinej

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

[Post New]by mcquigan on May 18, 13 7:18 AM
Good morning to all, and happy anniversary to you sunshine.
I'm up an clicking away like there is no tomorrow!

My daughter and husband are still asleep, dogs and cats are all still snoring.

And, for those of us in Lewis and Cowlitz county, today is the anniversary of Mt St Helen's eruption, which always gives me pause because it was such a terrible time when that happened.

Okay, here I goooooo.....

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on May 18, 13 7:29 AM
..Happy Anniversary sunshine..

I live in Florida mcquigan, but I remember the horror of Mt St Helen.

Sorry to be off topic.

barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

[Post New]by barregar on May 18, 13 7:41 AM
Happy Anniversary, sunshine

I'm signing in to play

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

[Post New]by mcquigan on May 18, 13 7:54 AM
mariannequilts wrote:...I live in Florida mcquigan, but I remember the horror of Mt St Helen.

Sorry to be off topic.

It's never off topic to be kind and compassionate about a horrific event.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on May 18, 13 8:08 AM
mcquigan wrote:
mariannequilts wrote:...I live in Florida mcquigan, but I remember the horror of Mt St Helen.

Sorry to be off topic.

It's never off topic to be kind and compassionate about a horrific event.

That's sweet of you mcquigan...I can still picture in my mind, those terrible scenes and those dear people camping and getting caught.

I just now went into the game for the first time and I died...already !!!

Raven_wing
Herring
Herring
320 Posts

[Post New]by Raven_wing on May 18, 13 8:25 AM
Well I'm not in the game for even five minutes and I die. That has to be the quickest I have ever died in a game before, I couldn't help but laugh.

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on May 18, 13 8:44 AM
Happy Wedding anniversary sunshinej

I will be updating the players list in a bit, I am awfully busy trying to finish Gabriel Knight fast, so I can join in on Nancy, cause I really can't miss a ND game!

harlequen
Catfish
Catfish
1,724 Posts

[Post New]by harlequen on May 18, 13 8:56 AM
Signing in

Happy Anniversary Sunshine

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on May 18, 13 9:45 AM
Raven_wing...One really great thing about ND's Second Chances is that when you die, you don't lose any of your inventory stuff. Thank Heavens !!!

stusue
Clownfish
Clownfish
597 Posts

[Post New]by stusue on May 18, 13 10:15 AM

I won't be joining you for this one but I wanted to swim by and say and wish you all a fun time playing ND:GDoML. I sure hope you don't all die too often!

Happy Anniversary, Sunshine

I hope you have a great day!

Raven_wing
Herring
Herring
320 Posts

[Post New]by Raven_wing on May 18, 13 11:10 AM
Well, it seemed to take me forever to ** map out the maze, no sense of direction I guess. Lets hope we don't have to go into the maze very often.**

marianne The funny thing about dying this time was I totally forgot about using Second Chances until I had already restarted. Luckily it was only five minutes into the game so no hardship.

Edited on 05/18/2013 at 11:16:29 AM PST

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on May 18, 13 12:14 PM
Glad you came by stusue, but wish you were playing. You okay?

abiloo
Shark
Shark
11,080 Posts

[Post New]by abiloo on May 18, 13 2:26 PM
I hate *** That maze, took me a long time to get out of it and not looking forward to go into it again! ***

Not sure what I need to do next though, other than the place I just mentioned. *Groan*

Go to: