bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Chronicles of Vida: The Story of the Missing Princess

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 21, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Chronicles of Vida: The Story of the Missing Princess? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Chronicles of Vida: The Story of the Missing Princess page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Chronicles of Vida: The Story of the Missing Princess

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 21, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 21, 13 1:43 AM
Morning, all...

There are 2 gameplay modes: Easy and Hard.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a choice of how light (or dark) you want the monitor to be.

The Menu button is on the left.

Just above the Menu button is Vida, the main character. Can't click on her though.

Next to Vida is your MAP, which shows you where you are, where actions are needed, and it can be used to jump. This map shows you exactly which objects you are supposed to use in which scene.

At the right is your HINT button, which takes only about 5 seconds to refill in Easy mode.
When you use the Hint button outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), a kind of guide will appear and show you exactly what you have to do where and with what.

Also at the right is your Diary. Next to it is your Were-Ferret. Don't know what he will be able to do - didn't have to do anything yet (except talk a lot) while I played the demo.

Every so often, you will find a blue glowing star. Click on it, and it will move to your Hint button. When you are in a HOS (of which there are many and not interactive), and click on this star, all objects you need to find will be shown for a short time.

Puzzles can be skipped. So far they are few and far in between. SKIP button takes about 50 seconds to fill in Easy mode.

There are 14 Achievements.

--- --- ---

I didn't care for the graphics, especially in the HOS. Also, there are a lot of sunbeam effects in the scenes (a pet peeve with me).

There are a lot of HOS, all straight-forward.

In Easy mode there are too many sparklies all over the places with hot spots.

Vida and the Ferret talk a little too much for my liking - it interrupts the gameplay.

However, I love the story on the whole, and this game has some nice new features. But I am very passionate where graphics are concerned, and the ones in this game are sub-standard, especially in the HOS (of which there are many, as I said).

So, even though I did enjoy (to some extent) the little I played, I won't be getting the full version.

menora
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by menora on May 21, 13 2:32 AM
Unusually for me I gave up after about ten minutes. Too many HOS for me with too many items to find that were blurry, not interactive, often tiny and in junk piles. Add to that a long time to switch in and out of the HOS and irritating chatter from Vida and the ferret. The voices were quite well done but just made too many unnecessary comments. This game looks beautiful but I found no pleasure in playing it.

Koffie99
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Koffie99 on May 21, 13 3:38 AM
Irritating dialogues, slow changes of scene and jittery cursor. Lovely artwork. No buy for me.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on May 21, 13 4:47 AM
Wow! Gotta Love This, HO Gamers!
BASED ON ONE HOUR DEMO

I loved this game almost immediately. The MAIN MENU gives you 4 ILLUSTRATED options for LIGHTING, as well, in OPTIONS you can set the GAMMA. Excellent start!

The intro was interesting and eye catching. The backstory was well told by VIDA, your character, and I was looking forward to finding out what was going on.

I have to say upfront, the GRAPHICS are NOT GOOD. INTERESTING, ATTRACTIVE, but NOT HIGH QUALITY. There are also black screens between scenes. After a few minutes of playing, I just DIDN’T CARE.

This is an almost PURE HO GAME. There is an ADVENTURE COMPONENT, but it’s nothing much. The getting around is INTERMEDIATE DIFFICULTY. 90% of the game is HO SCENES. They are drawn in a fantastical style that can make it DIFFICULT to see SOME ITEMS, and the low quality doesn’t help, but it is still FUN. They are not interactive.

There are also A FEW MINI-GAMES, but they are outnumbered, so far, 2 HO to 1 PUZZLE.

What makes this game SO MUCH FUN is the CHARACTERS. There are EXCELLENT LIP SYNC’D VOICOVERS, and subtitles, BOTH of which can be TURNED OFF. But there’s no way I’d do it.

VIDA, the Huntress, and her not-so-cute COMPANION, are in a constant BATTLE OF WITS. And they are FUNNY. Other characters are also amusing. Exactly what everyone is up to is really INTRIGUING. And why do I have a bad feeling about this Count?

There is an INTERACTIVE MAP that shows you active areas and HO scenes in each location, and when an area is cleared. It is NOT A JUMP MAP.

HINT is really INTERESTING. Outside HOS, it offers you a picture of the areas around you, with ITEMS TO BE FOUND there, or TO BE USED there. Very unusual.

There are also ACHIEVEMENTS and COLLECTIBLES. The collectible stars give you AN EXTRA TYPE OF HINT.

I know many REVIEWERS will oppose me on this, saying the GAME is TOO EASY, and POOR QUALITY.

HO GAMERS, IGNORE THEM! Try this game for yourself. I’m having the best time I’ve had in a SE game since ages!

I recommend this game!

jdelbove
Minnow
Minnow
266 Posts

[Post New]by jdelbove on May 21, 13 6:23 AM
One word.-------ANNOYING!!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on May 21, 13 6:54 AM
I beta tested this game several months ago. I hated it then and still do. The game would be all right if it wasn't so murky. The items in the HO's are miniscule and blurry. The hint recharges quickly so if you don't mind using the ferret to play the game for you it may be your cup of tea. Myself, I prefer to find the things on my own. Otherwise, what's the point.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on May 21, 13 8:25 AM
This one is not for me. Just found it annoying from almost the start, objects, even with enhanced lighting are hard to find, sound effects are irritating. And I like HOGs but there are too many of them.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on May 21, 13 8:45 AM
No buy for me after 5 minutes of playing. Also found it annoying.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 21, 13 9:07 AM
Too bad there arwe so many issues with the game.
The plot is thin..but frankly in most of these games the plot line disapears
The graphics are terrible..we're back to 3-4 years ago with tiny HOG scenes and very blurry monocolour-ish hog scenes.
Hint button doesnt really help..seems much too complcated..I just want to know where the dang tea pot is...the hint says one thing, and it is no way there. With all the clicking, surprised I didn't get dinged by the game.
Um, the accents are interesting, but really not understandable unless you're reading at the same time. Characters are trying to be cute, but clarity would help.
Music-same loop over and over.
I thought this might have been a good rainy day SE...I think not. Perhaps this is a new developer...suggestion?-glad your in the game, clean up the graphics, speed up the download between scenes ( that is sooo Old fashioned), work on the too much yacking..add interactive hogs..straight hogs are getting less and less popular...suggestons only if you want to make your money back.
kris

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 21, 13 9:22 AM
Played 30 minutes, easy

- 2 modes, easy, hard

- Right after you click on play there's a display of a tutorial showing how to work your way in the game. You have to click escape to exit

- A very long introduction to the game and it takes a while when you exit a scene to get to the new one

- Voice overs

- Notebook

- Map showing areas of interest

- You get achievements throughout the game

- Shortly after playing you get Black, a fun ferret that keeps chatting with you

- You find too blue glowing stars that allow you to get an overall view of the items to find in a H0

- Hint refills nearly instantly in easy mode

- H0, you do not interact, a lot of them, one round each corner Objects not too easy to find for some and sometimes they are strangely lighted to make it more difficult

- Mini games pretty easy, very few of them

- Will go against the flow but I've liked the graphics

Not much of a story but the game is fun, for a H0G lover, and the chat between Vida and her ferret is quite humorous. Might spend a punch card credit on the game which is well worth a try.

lcjdqs
Clownfish
Clownfish
691 Posts

[Post New]by lcjdqs on May 21, 13 10:47 AM
I don't usually do reviews, but, i think this game is great. I love HO games and this one keeps me busy. I bought it 15 minutes into game.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on May 21, 13 11:26 AM
the game is fun and quirky and definitely not easy - having achievements is fantastic!

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by joyzebra on May 21, 13 11:27 AM
One of the worse games I recently tried! Even with hint I couldn't find hidden objects. Deleted before trial ended.

cujo126
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by cujo126 on May 21, 13 11:54 AM
well, I have never ever given a review to a game although I have read most of the reviews on other games and find them very informative and helpful...having said that I felt compelled after reading all the negative reviews on this game, to give my 2 cents..
I happen to be really enjoying this game...at first I was a bit confused about the mechanics of it ...i.e...navigation, hint system, map..etc..but after persevering on for a little while I not only figured it out but actually began to enjoy the rhythm of if..
While I DO agree that some of the items are very small..the hint system recharges so quickly that u don't spend untold minutes hunting something that's is seemingly invisible..
so, in conclusion, I just wanted to give some of you who have a random game coupon, credit, or just unlimited funds to give it a try..u might be surprised

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 21, 13 12:29 PM
Right to it...graphics are very old school and somewhat blurry. Game play was good, music okay. HOGs were junk piles and pretty straight forward.

Cursor was off center. I don't like custom cursors, so always click them off. The standard was way off course and I had to click numerous times to find the correct spot to pick up an item in the HOGs. I switched back to the custom and still had the same problem...very maddening.

The ferret was very annoying and made a lot of extremely stupid remarks. Voice over was okay, but a bit heavy on the accent (maybe it was real).

This game did not grab me, was not challenging and did not make me want to buy it to see what happens. A beginner may like it, but not a somewhat seasoned gamer like me. This dev has gone backward. Not for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on May 21, 13 12:48 PM
I only lasted 8 minutes! Every item I clicked on resulted in a big X. Please do not tell me to update my drivers! I own over 100 HOGS and have never come across this problem before.

[Post New]by BearCreekStables on May 21, 13 1:10 PM
I wanted to like this game but agreed with Twinsoniclab. I had to change the cursor because too draggy and then could not pick up items. Too long of a blackout between scenes. But one of the worst was while playing a bird or something in background was making a Cuckoo sound way to frequently. Drove me crazy so I quit. Too many problems otherwise scenes looked fine to me.

Since a lot of people are having these problems I do not feel like it is our computer or drivers (mine are updated) as stated by Big Fish.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 21, 13 1:47 PM
Too many HOG's and something that was a little off that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Not a game I would buy and didn't even play for 15 min... that was enough for me.

Edited on 05/21/2013 at 1:47:42 PM PST

Go to: