bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Dark Parables: The Final Cinderella Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 23, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Parables: The Final Cinderella Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Parables: The Final Cinderella Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 05/23/2013 at 12:37:20 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Parables: The Final Cinderella Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 23, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on May 23, 13 12:46 AM
Downloaded very quickly, was playing within 5 minutes. My first impression is I don't like the graphics. They are too colourful for me, everything looks very artificial. A beautiful young girl on the front screen but when the view pulls back! what's wrong with her legs? last time I saw legs like that they were pulling a cart!
I thought the difficulty options were poor at first as it seems if you don't want sparkles you have to loose the hint button. There is another option though where you can turn sparkles off for everything, nice. I can't make my mind up though, it seems very formalistic and so very like so many other games, same game model, just different pictures. It just didn't grab me. I'm sure plenty will love it though but not for me.

BlackDark
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by BlackDark on May 23, 13 12:57 AM
Fishes-

This Review is based on the CE Game, not the Demo. Please understand: I LOVE the Dark Parables Series of Games; so, this Review is BIASED. So far, I really liked the Music in the Game.

There are voice-overs during Cut Scenes.

There is Wide Screen support; I took a screenshot, and it showed 1600x900, which is what my Wide Screen Monitor is set at; so, this is a nice treat.

The Graphics are stunning, which we’ve come to expect from BTG.

You have Three Modes: Casual, Normal and Hard; and you can change this as you wish.

Bonus Material is accessible from the Start; so, this is also a plus.

My Hint Meter refilled in about fifteen (15) seconds, which is very nice.

You have the standard twenty (20) Cursed Objects, and their locations are shown in the Strategy Guide.

You have twenty-four (24) Parable Notes to find, and these will provide the background to the Story. You can access these off the Bonus Material from the Main Menu Screen, and I am already intrigued by what BTG has put together here.

There are ten (10) Chapters, and the Strategy Guide appears to have the same number of pages as the previous Dark Parables Game, the Red Riding Hood Sisters; so, this Game should be long enough to keep me busy for more than just a few hours.

The Bonus Game also has the same number of pages as the previous Dark Parables Game; so, the Bonus Game should also be long enough to keep me busy for more than just an hour or two.

I have been waiting for this Game for two months now; so, forgive me, but I am off to play.

-BlackDark

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on May 23, 13 1:08 AM
This was a game I truly enjoyed doing the beta on, and I know that I am truly going to enjoy the full version. This is a 10/10 game no question. They did a superb job. Couldn't of been better. Kudos to this team. My review is to the team. The voice actors were superb in this game, and if this is the last one in the series, sorry to see it go. The characters in this game are wonderful. A true spooky (and I emphasize the word spooky) fairy tale.

Story: You (as the detective) was called on the case by a woman named Katherine who had her stepsister Cyrilia (I hope I spelled that right) turned into glass along with a few other ladies by the evil Godmother. She wants you to turn her stepsister and the other ladies back to normal. But in the meantime when you are talking to her, the evil Godmother snatches her and you're going to have to rescue that poor Missy as well. Along the way you meet a wonderful little character to help you.

Graphics: Simply gorgeous. Top notch art team here. Such detail in their artwork.

Music: Done perfectly. Stays calm during the game, and gets dramatic when it should. Fits the game wonderfully.

Hidden Object Scenes: FROGS. All the pieces you find becomes one item you need for the game.

Mini Games: Truly original and made for the game. Not too hard or easy, just right. The first one I played was really cute.

Map: In the beta version it wasn't a jump map so I don't know if they changed it, but it did show the objectives, where there is a FROG, and where you are.

Hint System: Worked both in and out of the game.

All in all this game is fun Again great job!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 23, 13 1:17 AM
Played 40 minutes, casual

- Blue Tea Games

- 3 modes, casual, normal, hard

- Integrated SG, which only shows 3 chapters in the sample

- Vice overs

- No notebook but a task bar, bottom left of your screen

- Map showing areas of interest, not interactive

- As in all Dark Parables you collect figurines to open a story in the Parables

- There are memorial closets, you dress up maidens to get a reward

- Fragmented H0, not too easy to find, some really big (not the ones you spot first !) and some pretty small

- Hint, refills really quickly in casual mode and is useful outside H0

- Skip button fills quickly, still in casual

- Good, inventive mini games

- Beautiful graphics

- Didn't pay too much attention to the music

Evil witch is changing maidens in glass maidens, looking for the real Cinderella in order to revive her beloved. She kidnaps a young maiden looking for her now glass sister... Quite a fun story and a bit of humor too, the tea served is blue for instance Good game, good story, good graphics = instant buy !

Edited on 05/23/2013 at 1:18:17 AM PST

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on May 23, 13 1:29 AM
Reviewers have already described the game very well so I will just say that I love the bright colors, love everything about the graphics. Based on the demo this game will be just as good as the others which is a huge recommendation IMO. I do agree that it is a lot like the others in many ways, but with a new story, so that makes it fine with me. My favorite will probably always be Briar Rose and I'm not totally sure if that is because it was the first one and so all new to me or just because I really think it is the best one of all. Would be thrilled to find a new favorite in this one, but will be happy if it is as good as the others.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on May 23, 13 1:30 AM
This will feel familiar but not, perhaps, same old, same old. For me these games don't seem to get old. They are always lovely to look at and pleasant to venture through. They are the only FROGs where I actually enjoy the hunt.

This game has 3 modes of play. If you want to have skips and hints but no sparkles, choose normal, then uncheck the sparkle options -- a nice compromise.

Wide screen
Lovely graphics if a bit more grainy than in previous Parables games
Orchestral music
Familiar but attractive puzzles
20 morphing objects (after 1/2 hour of play I found zero)
Find objects to read parables
Diary
Clickable Objectives list
Map is not fast travel; shows locations, areas of interest and locations of objectives

CE content:
Strategy Guide -- 10 chapters, bonus puzzle solutions, morphing object locations, Bonus chapter that appears to be a separate story
Bonus puzzles
Wallpapers
Movies
Music to save
Concept Art
Parable notes (Spoilers -- look first at your own risk)

You are the detective on this case. Evil Godmother is seeking the Cinderella (there seem to be many Cinderellas throughout the world) with the purest heart and soul. Then Godmother will be able to awaken her puppet Prince. All very curious so far, if not very challenging. I am hoping for more challenge, but I will probably enjoy the game anyway.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 23, 13 2:00 AM
I have liked all of the "Dark Parable" games, and this one looks good, too. Blue Tea is one of our finest devs, and each of their games provides hours of good entertainment.

The objects to find, as usual with this dev, are fragmented ---- and while I enjoy that difference, I know that some don't care for that particular style. Perhaps in future games, they could add some other style HOS ---- just to mix it up a bit.

The puzzles are very well done, and require a bit of thought and work.

I noticed no changes from the beta, which it appears a great number of people had the opportunity to do.

The graphics are nicely done, though not up to the beauty of the previous games from this dev ---- just somewhat grainy looking.

I also noticed that the devs have again chosen to use the same HOS at least twice ---- a complaint I have had with some of their other games. For me, once finished with a particular HOS, I really don't want to go back and play it again, looking for a different set of objects.

The CE package is the usual ---- nothing exceptional.

In summary, a very nice game that I will get as a SE, or maybe the CE, depending on what I see about the bonus game. So, given the fact that only rare, outstanding games are deserving of a full 10 out of 10 rating, this one gets a full 8 out of 10, which, to me, is indicative of a very good game. (After all, if I gave every single game I enjoyed a 10 out of 10 rating, all credibility would be out the door!) I liked it!

Edited on 05/23/2013 at 2:06:26 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 23, 13 2:35 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Normal, Hard.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen.

There are voices - from time to time.

The Hint button, in form of a shoe, is at the left. In Casual mode it refills in about 30 seconds.

Below the Hint button is the "Parables" tab. You will find items throughout the game, which go in here.

At the right is the Map. It shows you where you are, and where actions are needed. Alas, you can't use the map to jump.

The Guide is also at the right, just left of the Map, and stays open where you last left it open.
Among other things, it shows you where you can find all of the 20 Morphing Cursed Objects.

Below the Map is your "Options" tab.

There are lots of things to be found and collected.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are all fragmented.

Puzzles and Mini games can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 40 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

The graphics are nice, although they are becoming a tad old now. I prefer the graphics to be clearer, and the ones from Blue Tea Games never change.

Same with the gameplay. Although it's nice, it's always the same, with nothing new added in the games.

I am sure the majority of gamers will love this game. I only liked what I have played so far, and will wait for the SE.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 23, 13 2:36 AM
I don't know why I even downloaded the demo, since as soon as I saw the title of this game I was always going to buy it regardless of how the demo actually played! But as usual Blue Tea have come up with another stunningly beautiful game that will be a real pleasure to play.

The detail in the artwork for each item to find really has never been bettered by any other developer. Personally I am more than happy for Blue Tea to continue their use of fragmented items in all their games and for me, reverting to standard HOS would spoil these fairytales (but that's just my opinion). I think it's because they don't release their games so frequently that I never get tired of the FROGS.

The options give you a choice to brighten the screen and to turn off the sparkles for the HOS and/or puzzles if you wish. I played in normal mode and left the sparkles on but they were not overly intrusive and I didn't find them at all annoying. And I found a couple of morphing objects during the demo but if I wanted to find them all, they are shown in the SG. There are also Parable Notes and clothing items to find.

No question that this game is an instant buy and will be a joy to play

ETA: There are a lot of HOS in this game and on occasion they follow one after another. I think I actually played 3 in a row one time and in a normal hidden object game I would have been very irritated by this; however in this game I didn't mind because a) I love FROGS and b) the items are so beautiful.

As to the comment that Blue Tea are worse than ERS when it comes to 'cookie cutter' games, that may well be true. But Blue Tea don't have a seemingly endless series of games with so many episodes that they appear to be released almost every month, thereby flooding the market with similar style games. At least when a Blue Tea game is released it has been a few months since the last one and isn't just a follow-up from a previous game. Just my opinion of course.

Edited on 05/23/2013 at 6:50:33 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 23, 13 3:27 AM
nomatt wrote:Downloaded very quickly, was playing within 5 minutes. My first impression is I don't like the graphics. They are too colourful for me, everything looks very artificial. A beautiful young girl on the front screen but when the view pulls back! what's wrong with her legs? last time I saw legs like that they were pulling a cart!
I thought the difficulty options were poor at first as it seems if you don't want sparkles you have to loose the hint button. There is another option though where you can turn sparkles off for everything, nice. I can't make my mind up though, it seems very formalistic and so very like so many other games, same game model, just different pictures. It just didn't grab me. I'm sure plenty will love it though but not for me.
I agree nomatt. I have never cared for the BlueTea style of games/graphics and this is just another ho-hum release. I have enjoyed a couple of them because of the story (Red Riding Hood Sisters is one of them) but this is just boring to me. There are many who criticize ERS for making "cookie cutter" games but let BlueTea off when they are the worst offender of this (in my opinion of course). I will take a pass on this one, it just does not hold my interest at all.

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 05/23/2013 at 6:09:21 AM PST

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on May 23, 13 6:06 AM
I like it! A buy for me.

IBGLENDA
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by IBGLENDA on May 23, 13 6:33 AM
I beta tested this one and have been waiting for it's release. I thought it was a lot of fun and gave it high marks in my beta review. I don't normally like frog games but this is the exception. Off to buy

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on May 23, 13 8:09 AM
I too did the Beta on this one and it is one of the games that I have been impatiently waiting for.
The story line (nice twist on the fairy tale),
Graphics (playful,rich and colorful),
Game play (I'm a fan of FO),
Mini games (very imaginative)
and Extras (love collectibles and this game has a multiple variation)
all are well done.
Some will say that there is a repeated familiarity in style with this series but it's not surprising. I look at this Dark Parables series as I would a set of books on fairy tales. I want the continuity. The repeated style fits for me and is to be expected. It's like moving on to the next tale.
I was very disappointed when the beta ended and said so with 3 !!! in my notes.
It's an auto buy for me.
(Please BF...do not put this on sale in 2 days )

As always
Try Before you Buy!
Happy Gaming

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on May 23, 13 8:41 AM
nomatt wrote:Downloaded very quickly, was playing within 5 minutes. My first impression is I don't like the graphics. They are too colourful for me, everything looks very artificial. A beautiful young girl on the front screen but when the view pulls back! what's wrong with her legs? last time I saw legs like that they were pulling a cart!

Me too. I hate frogs, but I have enjoyed blue tea games. Trouble is, by the end I'm getting tired. I agree they are beautifully done. But I do think same old, same old. I am SURE i am spoiled rotten.

[Post New]by IamaGameJunkie on May 23, 13 10:16 AM
Thank you Blue Tea for another GREAT game! I love FROGs & your games are CE worthy. It's difficult to find a CE title I really enjoy, with an excellent story that ends in one game & doesn't drag on with never ending boring, stories/titles i.e. ERS. I love IHOGs/FROGs with fairytale/fantasy themes & so happy your mini games/puzzles are easy. I play games for fun....not to study a SG for half a game. I buy games to enjoy playing everything.... including mini puzzles/games. Why should I have to skip a mini & miss out on all the fun? Your games ALWAYS exceed my expectations and are so much FUN. Thank you!

Usually the same people give negative HOG reviews because..well, it's a HOG with H0's & the puzzles might be easy. Most are Adventure gamers. The solution? Put the challenging mini-games/puzzles in Adventure games b/c they are difficult. IHOG's are easier, so mini games should be at the same level. Everyone has an opinion...I'm offering a solution & not singling out Shadowfax or Nomatt...just using as an example b/c I haven't read beyond their's in this forum yet.
shadowfax44 wrote:
I agree nomatt. I have never cared for the BlueTea style of games/graphics and this is just another ho-hum release. I have enjoyed a couple of them because of the story (Red Riding Hood Sisters is one of them) but this is just boring to me. There are many who criticize ERS for making "cookie cutter" games but let BlueTea off when they are the worst offender of this (in my opinion of course). I will take a pass on this one, it just does not hold my interest at all.
<a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/faqs/list.page>[Removed by Moderator

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on May 23, 13 10:49 AM
This was an instant buy for me because I'm a fan of the series which has, in my opinion, continued to get better with each installment. In fact, although not part of the series, Enchantia: The Rise of the Phoenix Queen was also an instant buy because I've come to count on Blue Tea for gorgeous environments, excellent graphic quality, lovely yet thinky puzzles, and the very enjoyable fragmented hidden object searches--and I usually hate hidden object scenes! Blue Tea Games, please don't stop doing what you're doing.

For the most part, The Final Cinderella was exactly what I was expecting/hoping for when I purchased it... Here are the exceptions as well as the highlights:

+ While still the standard, based-on-a-familiar-fairytale premise, the story has enough originality to remain interesting and engaging. As with Red Riding Hood Sisters, there is a wide cast of characters to interact with or learn about, and this makes the story more dynamic and fresh.

+ It really is dark, this Dark Parables. The authors managed to create an omnipresent sense of foreboding and a twisted morbidity that is surprisingly not overt or gruesome in a horror genre way. Instead, it remains very much fantasy through and through...a bit like Grimm's fairy tales often are.

- The graphic quality was not as remarkable as The Snow Queen or Red Riding Hood Sisters. They seem a bit more grainy and less dimensionally rich. That was a disappointment mitigated by the fact that it's still very well-made and aesthetically pleasing.

- There's an abundance of hidden object scenes so it feels a lot less vast and exploratory than Red Riding Hood Sisters. While they are still divinely beautiful, they're just too frequent for my tastes as it takes away from the flow of the adventuring.

Of course, there are many wonderful things to be said about this game and I echo all the happy remarks of the other fishies here. This game is a great addition to the series!

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on May 23, 13 12:45 PM
Other reviewers have hit all the high points so I will just say that I will be purchasing the CE version of this game. I love these games and the graphics are always beautiful and the music enchanting. I don't normally buy CE versions of games, but for this one I will make an exception.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on May 23, 13 2:05 PM
I totally agree with Shadowfax44 - this is just more of the same with uninspiring graphics (the kind I truly dislike, grainy drawings with bright, cartoony colours) and nothing in the gameplay that grabbed my interest. I'm not a big fan of fairytales and truly hate fragmented HO scenes, so here's me still waiting with long-held breath for a grown-up game in which I get to use my brain for something other than "find something to open the mailbox". Didn't even finish the demo.

Edited for a spelling error (still better than the grammatical errors in the game.)

Edited on 05/23/2013 at 2:06:57 PM PST

Go to: