Work shy husband

timeinhand
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

Work shy husband

[Post New]by timeinhand on May 23, 13 3:36 PM
Been playing for under a week, got to level 18 and still do not have a husband. Have completed most achievements but still working farm on own and need that invisible man to complete his own work loads to let me progress or get fed up with my little time in hand and uninstall the game.

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Work shy husband

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 24, 13 3:38 AM
Hi timeinhand,

That does sound frustrating!

My husband showed up after Grandpa and if I remember correctly, this all happened after I produced the tomatoes and pumkins.

If you have done all the main 'produce x number of x fruit quests', you might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the game to see if that helps.

If not, creating a new player profile is another option, but please keep in mind that doing this would require you to start over from the beginning.

If neither of these tips help, please contact Tech Support for further assistance by clicking on the green to the right of the page.

Best of luck though!

bfgBaikal

zbox12
Minnow
Minnow
271 Posts

[Post New]by zbox12 on May 24, 13 7:46 AM
My husband showed up before Grandpa. (Still waiting on him). He came after I completed the 10 Tomato quest. I've also done the pumpkin quest so don't know what triggers Grandpa.

[Post New]by marigold12345 on May 24, 13 5:10 PM
Some of the quests for this game have prerequisites, in other words, some quests have to be completed before others can appear, but apart from that, the order a lot of the others appear in is random, and different people will have differing quest paths.

My quest to get Grandpa was to build the sawmill, which I think is probably the same for everyone, as in the section of the quest window where it shows the rewards you will receive, ie. silver and xp, there was a little picture of Grandpa. He did, in fact, roll up immediately the sawmill was finished. I'm wondering if it is possible to have Grandpa appear before the husband, as the sawmill has to be built by him, and I doubt they have two versions of the sawmill quest window, one with Grandpa as a reward and one without.

I'm still racking my brains to remember which quest made the husband appear for me, but he arrived pretty early on, a long time before Grandpa.

Grandma, on the other hand, was really tardy and it took forever until I received the last quest to finish rebuilding the guest house so she could finally come and live with us. There were three separate quests for that, btw. One was for Jennifer to tidy the garden around the house, the second was the main renovation work, which the husband did, and finally a finishing quest which looked like mainly painting, also done by hubby. (Presumably Grandpa slept by the log pile with his axe while the guest house was still being prepared?)

Edited on 05/24/2013 at 5:19:23 PM PST

timeinhand
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by timeinhand on May 25, 13 10:18 AM
Thanks to ones that replied. Completed all produce quests now, (pumpkin) last one, still no husband, on level 19. Also uninstalled and re-installed the game with no change. To restart the game need 20 gold coins, only have 14, I refuse to pay into the game. Wonder if having a scarecrow might give the husband some competition to actually show up. Appears cannot do anything more on the game until husband arrives!!!!!!.

timeinhand
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by timeinhand on May 26, 13 1:58 PM
Would the inability to clear the ground on the left side of the guest house due to building quests down the left side of the screen be preventing me from clicking on them, thus stop the husband from showing up?.

[Post New]by marigold12345 on May 27, 13 9:00 AM
@Timeinhand - I don't think the achievements relate to characters appearing in the game. Family members' arrival are triggered by the completion of certain quests, (and apparently not always the same quests for each player). When you are offered those quests is up to the game, as there is a random element to when you receive them. Your best way to get the husband to appear is to continue to complete quests, and he will eventually turn up. Don't worry about spending time on the achievements. The gold they provide is nice, but they won't help him appear.

I don't think clearing the ground could have anything to do with it, as it's the acquiring and completing the of quests which counts. However, if you are having trouble clicking on objects because the quest icons, or other objects, are in the way, you can zoom in to first person perspective, and they will be easier to select.

Hope this helps.

[Post New]by ladyblingbling on May 27, 13 10:45 AM
I was hoping that hubby/grandpa might get rid of certain trees and shrubs that are in way - but no such luck - does anyone know if you can get rid of them?

[Post New]by CapricornSongs on May 27, 13 3:03 PM
Wife and hubby clear the ground of all tree stumps, rocks and grass that can be cleared. Whoever is available will go and they will do it together if you click a bunch of items. If you're referring to the woods, they don't go anywhere.

timeinhand
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by timeinhand on May 27, 13 3:26 PM
Thank you Marigold 12345, going into 1st person mode worked to clear the objects as I got used to playing from maximum zoom out. Will persevere with other goals and see how things progress and still gain gold...Nice, shame not real life or that easy.

[Post New]by ladyblingbling on May 27, 13 4:02 PM
Thanks, Capricorn - it's annoying that you can't get rid of the shrubs that are in the way - eg near the rail-line - you could get more buildings/pens in if you could.
Love this game - it's sooooo addictive!

[Post New]by marigold12345 on May 29, 13 11:31 AM
I totally agree about the shrubs and trees. It's misleading to have them selectable if you can neither move nor remove them. I guess you can't move the major buildings either, but those at least have a function in the game. I guess I'm so used to those games where you chop down trees for wood and to clear the ground that for a while I kept thinking I must just be doing it wrong!

timeinhand
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by timeinhand on Jun 5, 13 6:24 AM
Got to level 20, tried uninstalling and re-installing a few times, still no husband. Don't expect him as read elswhere I had to wait for tomato quest to come up before completing it. Darn it. Also to start a new game need 20 gold, no longer have as completed other quests and accidently paid to complete a quest with no gold reward and takes forever to build it up by the various methods available. EG collect kitchen items for 3 gold. Will permanently uninstall and rememer there is life out there.

kim0530
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by kim0530 on Jun 7, 13 2:25 AM
My problem is the husband myself. All of my quests are for building (school,sawmill, brick, cannery, snake bar, textile). The problem is why should I build the sawmill and the brick when i have all the materials for building? I still didn't get grandma or grandpa. What's funny, Jennifer can do better without them. The only thing is needed is hired someone to build. And please, I have re-instilled the game so many times I'm tired of going through this again. So, if someone else had this same problem like me know how it turned out. Right now, I'm keeping on planting away until I crashed.

[Post New]by fulcher8244 on Jun 24, 13 8:56 AM
I had a husband & he's disappeared mid way through building the textile factory. Every time I click on things he should be able to do (build textile factory, make bricks, clear things) it says no path.

The path is not blocked to any of the items as I can send grandpa to the saw mill which is next to the brick factory & Jennifer can clear the items that it says path blocked.

I've tried uninstalling & re installing but this didn't work. It's so frustrating. I'm at level 17. Last time I was at this level the game crashed completely & made me start from level 1 again.

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Jun 24, 13 10:09 AM
I think the Husband never showing up is a subtle bug caused by three things interacting. First, you can only have up to 5 quests at once, and those light bulbs will reserve a quest slot if they plan to give you a quest. Second, many quests are unlocked by level, and there are a lot of these unlocked in the lower levels. Third, the game seems to give you later quests (from the possible unlocked quests) rather than the ones that were unlocked first.

The quest to get the husband is given by Jennifer, and is unlocked at level 5. (You need to have 10 tomatoes in the barn to finish it). If you level too much before getting this quest, there may be so many unlocked quests that the 5 slots stay full and block out the husband quest for much of the game. This can delay grandma and grandpa as well, but not having the husband is far more serious.

If I were to restart, I would avoid talking to the people near the railroad station until after the husband arrived. That should delay enough unimportant quests to avoid the quest gridlock. (I would also fill the bird pen before talking to them, so that sleazy used car salesman guy couldn't give me that cursed, unsellable chick. But that's another matter.)

timeinhand
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by timeinhand on Jul 21, 13 1:29 AM
Finally did it, got the gold by visiting the farm daily and growing veggies to build up kitchen collections until only needed to spend one gold coin to amass 3 and restart the game, completing tomato quest the work shy husband turned up. So with lots of silver to spend after selling everything from previous game, 2nd time round play the game a little more wiser, experiance of mass farming for maximum income and more patience!!!!!! hope to enjoy the game more.

Sliponshoes
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by Sliponshoes on Jul 21, 13 4:34 AM
Nice - Congrats!

These quests/chores seem to be the key for game advancement. It took me forever to get Grandpa to arrive but after finishing a few quests/chores I got the quest for Grandpa and when completed he finally showed his axe on the farm. I'm level 15 now and have all the characters present on the farm. Whew...

Now I'm just hoping that my game doesn't crash as I get to the higher levels as it has with other players. Wish me luck!

Happy farming!

timeinhand
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by timeinhand on Jul 21, 13 11:25 AM
Thanks Sliponshoes

Hope you have a happy farming time and hope your game does not crash. I don't believe in luck so will not wish it. You gave me something to watch out for as I build back up the levels doing things right.

Edited on 07/21/2013 at 11:25:45 AM PST

[Post New]by Sapphirain on Jul 21, 13 7:24 PM
I'm level 31-32...I have everyone and hubby is the fastest walker.
I have two of each machine (makes quests easier), but only one of each pen.
My problem is that hubby doesn't seem to like to work, Jen does most of it.

Go to: