bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 24, 13 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 24, 13 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 24, 13 1:31 AM
Morning, Baikal and everyone...

This review is based on the CE version I bought, and I don't know whether some of the extras I mention below are also in the SE.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hard. They can be changed any time throughout the game.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen.

Your Diary is at the left. Inside you will find your MAP, which can be used to jump, but doesn't show where you are or where actions are needed.

Also at the left is your Camera, which you can use to take a photo of each scene you come across.

At the very top of your screen is a red tab. Click on it, and you can get to your Hall of Achievements, in which you will also find your photo album, which holds the photos taken so far.
In this room you will also find the kitten you will pick up early in the game. Toys you find throughout the game, will be placed with the kitty. Click on a toy and the cat will play with it. CUTE !!

Right above your Camera is the MENU button.

The HINT button is at the right. It takes about 35 seconds for the HINT button to refill in Casual mode, inside and out of the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), which all seem to be of the usual "find items by the list" variety.

Also at the right you will have your Scales of Justice, which you will get a little into the game. Even if you skip the Tutorial, all will be explained about this and the camera.

Puzzles and Mini games are, more or less, on the easy side (thank you, ERS).

--- --- ---

I loved the graphics, the story, and the gameplay.

I didn't find the graphics to be foggy (as some mentioned in the CE reviews), although there were sun beams every once in a while (hate those). But other than that the graphics appeared clear and clean to me.

I own all the previous "Dark Tales" games and loved each one of them. This game didn't disappoint either, and I very much enjoyed playing it.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on May 25, 13 9:09 AM
great storyline, life like painted scenery, great game play through, easy mini puzzles

LOVE IT

Recommend to buy

dotty300
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by dotty300 on May 26, 13 4:13 PM
I love all his games, never miss them

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 6, 13 7:30 AM
Exciting & New. Choose Your Own Ending!

BASED ON CE GAME COMPLETED

I am a sucker for kittens, so I had to buy the CE of this game, with all its cute extras, but always, it’s the game that counts.

And this game IN ANY VERSION, is top notch. The most recent of the Dark Tales series, it has all the characteristics that make this my all-time favourite series.

Even more BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS than usual, a nice CHANGE in both the MUSIC and the VOICEOVERS, M. DUPIN as urbane and charming as ever... though not as talkative, perhaps the circumstances of this case depressed him.

And the CASE is DIFFERENT from our usual investigations. We are called in by the MAYOR to deal with the rash of murders of council officials perpetrated by a mysterious villain known as the RED MASQUE.

What we find is a town on the point of OPEN REBELLION, falling apart around our ears. Starving people waylay us in the street, buildings disintegrate before our eyes. Everyone is living in terror of someone. It will take more than just identifying the villain to bring about JUSTICE.

And this new angle is reflected in the GAMEPLAY. Before the game is finished we will have to collect ‘justice orbs’ which summarise different crimes, then weigh them up in our lady of justice’s scales. Only then can we decide who to arrest. In other words, we CHOOSE THE ENDING.

We have several types of HO SCENE to work with. There is the conventional INTERACTIVE LIST, some MULTIPLES, at least one PROGRESSIVE SILHOUETTE (find one to use on the next and so on til you get your inventory item), and some INTERACTIVE SILHOUETTES. In this last, more than half the items require a further step, and being only silhouettes, you are given no indication to tell which needs interaction.

I found the PUZZLES QUITE EASY, but that may be me finally getting the hang of some of the standard ones. Though these were mostly ORIGINAL, they were based on similar logical processes.

To me, the game seemed LONGER than the others in this series. There was an added COMPLEXITY to the ADVENTURE ASPECT in this one that had me scratching my head several times as to how to move forward. There were also MORE LOCATIONS.

While I am by no means sorry that I bought the CE, I believe the SE to be an excellent game, and a MUST HAVE for most players.

I recommend this game!

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

Interesting...

[Post New]by cat52 on Jun 6, 13 7:41 PM
Other than the "killing aristocrats" aspect, this Dupin mystery had absolutely nothing to do with the original story, and I'm kind of sorry they couldn't figure out how to tackle it because the horror evaporated along with the original plot. "Premature Burial" was the best in the series for retaining Poe's original gruesome atmosphere.

As a pure game (I did not buy or try the CE, just the SE) it was above average. The puzzles were a little easy, but the various changes rung in on the HOScenes were very entertaining, the game lasted a long time, and the plot was coherent and interesting.

The baubles of using the "bad-boy" marbles & the scales of justice, taking photos and having the office were okay, but that kind of extra doesn't hold much appeal for me if I don't have to work for it.

1/2

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Jul 13, 13 6:53 AM
I was disappointed in this game overall. I didn't like the silhouette HOS's as much as the regular ones. I found alot of puzzling things going on before I solved a section of the game.
However, I did like being the one who got to choose who is guilty and who is innocent. Overall, it's not a bad game, just not my cup of tea.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Sep 13, 13 8:07 PM
I really liked this game. The hidden object scenes were great, the mini-games were fun, and the story was interesting. Not one of my favorites, but was worth buying! I give it a 7 out of a 10.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Oct 8, 13 9:07 PM
This is an OK game, just not my favorite type of HOG's i.e.; silhouettes I really don't care for.
I played both Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug CE & Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial a while back and enjoyed them but this one seemed like a letdown to me and the castle in Chapter 6 looks and behaves like it was "pasted" in' and I posted this in Tech. Problems.
Anyway please try for yourself as you may really like it and my mood may have affected my opinion of it.
I'm giving this one a out of 5

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Feb 2, 14 4:37 PM
I just finished a marathon of the Dark Tales series. I enjoyed playing each one of them as they are well made games with good stories. You can tell how the series has changed over the years from the first one to the fifth one, can't really pick a favorite because each game was excellent and enjoyed them all very much. Looking forward to the next Dark Tales game.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 5, 14 9:05 PM

The theme of this game is, when is justice truly served.

I was disappointed in this game overall. I didn't like the silhouette HOS's as much as the regular ones. I found a lot of puzzling things going on before I solved a section of the game.
However, I did like being the one who got to choose who is guilty and who is innocent. Overall, it's not a bad game, just not my cup of tea.

The baubles of using the "bad-boy" marbles & the scales of justice, taking photos and having the office were okay, but that kind of extra doesn't hold much appeal for me....

I thought this game would NEVER end, and then when it finally did, you had to pick which party was guilty, which meant that one of the villains would go free.

I thought some of the adventure parts were a real stretch, such as SPOILER: [creating the two red masks just to have two equal weights on one of the scales.] It was obvious the developers thought the idea of scales would be a clever device.

The game would have been much improved with not just a transporting map but one that indicated where things needed to be done.

Edited on 03/05/2014 at 9:08:44 PM PST

Go to: