_misschrissi_
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

Lack of proper ending in SE version?

[Post New]by _misschrissi_ on May 24, 13 6:23 PM
I wasn't too sure about this game at first as I don't usually go for games that are kind of 'fantasy' related. I kept going, though, and once I reached the portals I started really enjoying it. I love games where there are portals to different worlds (this one reminded me of the House of 1000 Doors) - for me it stops the game becoming too repetitive, as the scenery changes throughout. I personally thought the graphics were great.

The one problem I have is that I've just completed the main game and I'm just starting the bonus chapter. I'd guess that when the SE is released, it will end just where I finished the main game. And for a lot of people, this is going to drive them crazy, because there's going to be absolutely no "closure". What happened to Grandfather? Did the bad guy get away?

I consider it really bad practice for developers to essentially say "you won't get a proper ending unless you buy the CE because the conclusion is in the bonus chapter". I hope BFG consider using their considerable voices to tell developers that this is not an acceptable way to structure their games. It leaves a very sour taste in the mouths of customers.

It'll be interesting to see what people say about the ending of this game when the SE comes out, that's for sure!

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

Re:Lack of proper ending in SE version?

[Post New]by Jofer on May 27, 13 3:19 PM
I just finished the bonus game. Guess what? Yeah - it's a cliffhanger with no proper ending as well. I am NOT happy after fighting through all those stinking hog scenes with tiny type that gave me a headache to read!

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jun 1, 13 2:18 PM
Having played the entire game and the bonus, I do not see how this game's ending is much different than many other games that will be having a sequel. There was an ending. Maybe not the ending that a particular person may have wanted or maybe people that don't like sequels may not like it. But this game has a proper ending nonetheless.

SPOILER with commentary:

The main mission of the game - accomplished. No loose ends, no mistakes about it. There was a catstrophe. You were sent to fix it. It got fixed. The End.

The bad guy gets away. A surprise ... really? How many games do we see where the bad guy gets away so we can battle him again in the next game? Answer: Lots. This is nothing new and does not mean that the game has no adequate conclusion.

Soggy tearjerking reunion with Grampa occurs "off-screen." Actually in bonus game but, yes is missing from main game. Considering the number of dialogue/cut scene and all around story haters there are on this site, it is not surprising that the developers skipped this mushy family love moment. Does it "ruin" the game that it was not included in the SE version? I think not.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 7, 13 3:22 PM
Bartsister wrote:Having played the entire game and the bonus, I do not see how this game's ending is much different than many other games that will be having a sequel. There was an ending. Maybe not the ending that a particular person may have wanted or maybe people that don't like sequels may not like it. But this game has a proper ending nonetheless.

SPOILER with commentary:

The main mission of the game - accomplished. No loose ends, no mistakes about it. There was a catstrophe. You were sent to fix it. It got fixed. The End.

The bad guy gets away. A surprise ... really? How many games do we see where the bad guy gets away so we can battle him again in the next game? Answer: Lots. This is nothing new and does not mean that the game has no adequate conclusion.

Soggy tearjerking reunion with Grampa occurs "off-screen." Actually in bonus game but, yes is missing from main game. Considering the number of dialogue/cut scene and all around story haters there are on this site, it is not surprising that the developers skipped this mushy family love moment. Does it "ruin" the game that it was not included in the SE version? I think not.

Thanks for posting the CE ending, now people can buy the SE and still know what happened in the CE bonus.

tinatoerat
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by tinatoerat on Jun 8, 13 10:22 AM
Totally unhappy with the ending of the SE game, revelations here notwithstanding. And I am sick of every game (CE or SE) just finishing with no explanation. Lax game dev managers.

Go to: