Disbeliever
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

Any spiders and/or snakes in this game?

[Post New]by Disbeliever on May 26, 13 1:04 PM
Unfortunately, spiders and snakes give me nightmares, especially when they are realistic, gruesome, frequent, or just plain HUGE. I was reading the reviews on the game page, and someone mentioned a huge spider in the Rise of the Snow Queen bonus game. He said that if we remembered that picture, we would understand what he meant when he said that this game has a lot of twists in it. I didn't play that game, so I have no idea what he is referring to. So, if anyone could shed some light on those comments, or just let me know if there are spiders or snakes in this game, I would greatly appreciate it. Naturally, I am thrilled when I see reviews that say there are or aren’t spiders/snakes in a game. Unfortunately, I’m not sure if that’s what this reviewer meant.

Even though I normally don't buy CEs, I really want to get Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest during this BOGO sale, rather than wait weeks for the SE to come out. But, to get it, I have to get another CE. I thought this might be an OK game to get, even though I am not a big fan of hidden object games. Unfortunately, pure adventure games are hard to come by, as most of them have varying amounts of hidden object scenes in them. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Haberyan
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

Re:Any spiders and/or snakes in this game?

[Post New]by Haberyan on May 26, 13 3:58 PM
There IS a spider/ spider witch in this game, but only in the bonus. (It is the same spider from the picture)

Disbeliever
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by Disbeliever on May 26, 13 4:29 PM
Haberyan wrote:There IS a spider/ spider witch in this game, but only in the bonus. (It is the same spider from the picture)

Thanks so much for that info! Is it a big and/or realistic spider? I didn't play the other game, so I have no idea what the other one looks like. The reviewer just said the spider in the other game was huge, accenting the word *HUGE*, which was terrifying to me, but I'm not sure if it will be huge in this one. Is the spider part of the actual bonus game in this one, or is it just a picture of a spider? Thanks in advance.

[Post New]by tinkism on May 26, 13 11:25 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=572271872812846&set=a.279794702060566.69271.199275420112495&type=1&theater

Here is one of the picture of the spider capture from blue tea fb.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on May 27, 13 5:11 AM
Thanks for the link, Tinkism. Blue Tea are notorious for adding giant spiders to their games. Since this link will probably be taken down soon, the pic shows the witch (standing up) with 6 giant legs sprouting out of her.

Guess I can deal with that.

Edited on 05/27/2013 at 5:11:57 AM PST

Disbeliever
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by Disbeliever on May 27, 13 3:29 PM
Tinkism, thank you so much for the link. I was really hoping to find out about this before the sale goes off tonight, and you came through for me beautifully.

Also, thank you Laflamme for the description of the picture just in case it went away before I got a chance to see it. That was very good thinking, as you never know with these things. I would have been so disappointed if I had missed out on seeing it, no matter how creepy it is. lol Luckily, it's not as bad as I was expecting, though it still totally freaks me out. But, I'm going to try and be brave, even if I have to hide the screen and peek at it, like I just did with the screenshot.

I don't know what I would do without my fellow fishies. Have a great day/evening (Whatever it may be in your part of the country/world when you read this.

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on May 28, 13 12:25 PM
For arachnophones (myself included), the Bonus Chapter is a little unsettling and it depends upon your phobia level. Mine is pretty bad so the Bonus Chapter was unsettling. Definitely don't watch the final cutscene after you chase the Spider Queen away (I had a problem with her but again, my phobia is severe).

Disbeliever
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by Disbeliever on May 28, 13 4:43 PM
Persistent_Cat wrote:For arachnophones (myself included), the Bonus Chapter is a little unsettling and it depends upon your phobia level. Mine is pretty bad so the Bonus Chapter was unsettling. Definitely don't watch the final cutscene after you chase the Spider Queen away (I had a problem with her but again, my phobia is severe).

Oh no!! You mean there is more spider-related stuff besides the picture Tinkism provided? I thought that was all there is, which is too much as it is. I had planned on getting a friend to play that part of the bonus level for me so I wouldn't have to deal with it. That's just great. I already bought the Collector's Edition.

My phobia is getting a tiny bit better, due to the amount of desensitization I am receiving from all the HOPAs I've been playing that end up having spiders and snakes in them, and what I have to deal with at my job. Believe me, I would rather not have anything relating to spiders and snakes in these games. I have a severe phobia of these things, to the point where I have very graphic nightmares from them. I also get very disturbing, vivid images from them. Since you can't deal with spiders either, I definitely won't explain what I mean by that, because it would totally freak you out.

Can you or someone reading this please tell me exactly what spider-related stuff I will have to deal with during the bonus level? Also, are there any spiders or snakes in the main game? I would really like to know what to look out for so I can try and avoid it if at all possible.

Geez, I wish all of these developers would stop putting spiders and snakes in these games. I am so sick of having a perfectly good game ruined by this. Even games that aren't meant to be the least bit scary have them in it. Some games are even loaded with them. I would boycott the developers that do this, but if I did, I would have almost no games to play. Anyway, thanks so much for the heads up about the cutscene after the Spider Queen. I will definitely not be watching that.

atomstar
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by atomstar on May 28, 13 7:46 PM
I have to sympathize with your arachnophobia. I'm afraid of butterflies/moths, and most developers aren't shy about putting those in games. It's especially fun (not!) when I have to find them as part of an HOS scene. Still, since I'm addicted to HOS games, I just struggle on and pretend the butterflies are not there. I'm getting pretty good at denial.

Anyway, the Bonus Chapter is where most of the spider-related things are, so if you don't play it, then you should be fine. Even though I'm trying to avoid being specific, there will be spoilers.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

How bad is your phobia? There are a number of scenes, including the first scene, that have spider webs and skeletons trapped in spider webs.

There is a scene where you have to use the right item to get rid of a few spiders on the floor to rescue a person.

The Spider Queen appears when you get past the stone lions. You have to get rid of her using the right item.

Her lair (the Web Cave) is full of spider webs, and there is a spider decoration on the left above an alcove. You also have to use a spider-shaped item in a focus scene in her lair.

Towards the end of the game, the Spider Queen appears again in her Web Cave. She will remain there while you go to gather the stuff you need to defeat her.

The final cutscene in the game shows you defeating the Spider Queen.

I think, these are the main appearances of spiders in this game. Hope this helps.

Edited on 05/28/2013 at 7:51:40 PM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 30, 13 10:32 AM
I can't begin to judge the depth of your phobia.(I have some of my own) All I can tellyou is that are both snakes and spiders in the game. Out side of the bonus game, none are threatening. Basically just pictures and background. Hope this helps.

Disbeliever
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by Disbeliever on May 31, 13 4:50 PM
atomstar, I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be for you, especially considering that butterflies and moths are everywhere you go, and computer games like this are just loaded with them. Thank you for the detailed heads up about the bonus game. I really wish I had skipped buying the collector's edition of this game after reading your post, because I will definitely not be playing the bonus game. After seeing Old_Man_River's post, I'm beginning to wish that I hadn't bought the game at all. Since I bought the game, though, I will give it a try. If it's just too much for me, I will consider it a lesson learned and be sure to come to the forum to get multiple opinions before buying a game that I'm unsure about. Thank you both very much for your responses.

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Jun 4, 13 8:55 AM
Disbeliever, it might be too late as your last post about this was a week ago but the Bonus Chapter, in my opinion, is not worth the price of the game and kind of sucked.

Spoiler (highlight to read): There are only about six scenes to explore, some are the same as the main game, the puzzles are the same as the main game, you'll do a bunch of FROGs back-to-back, etc. It's not worth it, you are not missing out on anything if you skip it.

Go to: