Senior Citizens sign in!!

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

Re:Senior Citizens sign in!!

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 17, 18 6:01 PM
I just took a fast look at delphi and it is mainly sports related game forums and a couple of really weird ones about role playing and vampires

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Apr 17, 18 6:16 PM
Really, really gonna miss you guys!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 17, 18 6:30 PM
A quick google showed quite a few options for hosting forums. A few are free, with distracting ads and likely bandwidth limitations. If you want ad free, it costs, so someone would have to foot that bill.

No matter which option is chosen, we would need volunteers to be moderators, banning spammers and obnoxious people, and at least one to be forum admin to do more technical stuff. The first forum I ever managed didn’t take much technical skill, but then I knew how to read how to instructions.

But I don’t have the spare energy to be one of those volunteers right now.

[Post New]by ramondabe on Apr 18, 18 6:37 AM
Hi Everyone! I am a Senior who has enjoyed this forum very silently. I now wanted to thank ALL of you for the various help you have given in other threads or here to get through GD tough spots. Your comradrie is also fun. I started GD last summer but am not sure when I came upon this forum. I found the one that had best levels to get resources and it is a treasure. Eventually I poked in here and noticed there were up to date hints and helps here plus just fun seeing comments from around the different spots of the world that members are from.

I would have eventually came out of the woodwork to say hi and to thank all of you. My main purpose to write though is to mention a simple place to gather and chat is yahoo groups. It is easy to start up and to run. Entry can be by moderator only so noone could become a member without giving a reason for joining. So if you gave your user name from this forum that would get you in I believe you can use those names there but am not sure.

You do have to have a yahoo email address. I have one as my secondary address so as to let junk go there but they are very good at keeping spam very very low. And you only need to use it for the group not anything else so I believe privacy should be ok. If interest is here I can get more details. I have been part of a group here or there at Yahoo groups for about 20 years. Very low key. You can read the threads directly on the forum or have them come into your yahoo mail.

I don't recommend attempting chat on FB GD. As somebody mentioned it is more of a place to vent. I am on FB and check on that occasionally for something new but they are mostly bells and whistles asking questions of the users but from what I can see never giving them an answer.

I would be willing to set it up and moderate for awhile because there would be no moderation other than being a gate keeper to new membership. Eventually there would be three moderators for that purpose but I am guessing the membership would be mostly from this forum.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 18, 18 7:05 AM
A belated welcome to this thread ramondabe, glad you have enjoyed this and other threads on GD and that its helped you. Better late than never saying hello. What you mention about the Yahoo stuff sounds ok to me, what does everyone else think of this? Any ideas anyone? Has anyone used Yahoo groups? I am not so techy minded and have never done anything like that, in fact, in all the years I have been using the internet, this is the first forum I have ever got invovled with, the only other ones I read are ones that pop up on a google search when I am researching a particular topic or item etc, for reviews of things, information about issues etc etc etc but have only gleaned info from them, this thread has been my first foray into it and I am very glad I found it. I hope there is a solution to this, today I have been so busy I haven't had much time and its past bedtime again now, so I am going for sleep, I will try to catch up on it all tomorrow night.

[Post New]by globetrotter217 on Apr 18, 18 7:27 AM
Hi Ramondabe, thank you for that suggestion. I have been a member of a yahoo group and it worked fine . I did it like you, got myself a yahoo address just for the group. I don't remember anything negative about it either. Since this would be mainly a chat group, I would be prepared to be a mod, providing there would be at least 3 preferably 4 others and that we can agree on clear moderation guidelines. I am not totally IT-blond, but one of the mods should really be IT savvy.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 18, 18 9:04 AM
Is anybody able to help me with ipad issues? I was going to bed 2 hours ago, but when I went to play a game on my ipad, suddenly, it decided to bring up an activation lock and I have been totally locked out of the ipad, I simply cannot remember my original password and email that was used to set up the ipad in the first place, it was so many years ago. I am SO disgusted with this awful system and how the heck can Apple determine that my ipad, is suddenly disabled? Permanently it would seem if I can't get this activated and it would seem from what I have found out online (using computer) that they can't really help much at all and I might have to have the entire thing wiped/erased. BOY, I am unhappy tonight. Well, this morning now, its after 2am. I am going to bed, if anyone has any idea how to fix this, I will catch up in the morning. My day was already going to be frantic, now it seems a trip to an apple store might have to be squeezed in somehow. SIGH as if I haven't enough to do.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 18, 18 10:11 AM
I took a better look at the forum that is under construction for Midnight Castle on Delphi and it is just a chat room and it is full of ads, and while those groups are fine for the social aspect I can't see as how they are going to be easy to navigate for people looking for specific threads for game help, I'm guessing the Yahoo group would be of the same vein.
I also came across a post from a mod on another forum saying that the reason that BF is ending the forums is because the software that runs it is old and can't be updated or sustained, which did not go over very well, we all know that when software becomes obsolete you replace it. And they are overwhelmed with the spam, some BF club members are suggesting keeping the forums open for the cash paying club members only with the hope that it would keep spammers out, these free games with facebook pages have opened the door wide for the spammers to come in IMO.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 18, 18 5:15 PM
Posts from some of the game developers are starting to show up in some of the threads on the other BF game forums and they are not happy with BFs decision to shut down the forums, they said that they are emailing their concerns to BF, for whatever that is worth.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 18, 18 5:49 PM
I managed to find time to call apple this morning, got the ipad sorted thank goodness. Their system is so stuffed, I hate it. Don't know if I will ever buy another apple product in the future. Anyway, thats another issue.

As for emailing concerns to BF about keeping the forum open, I think it will definitely fall on deaf ears. It was obviously a fait accompli some time ago and nothing will change their minds, UNLESS, a vast number of gamers desert the sinking ship and they will then have to decide to spend some of their multi millions on buying some new hard and software to facilitate a whole new forum. We will have to keep a lookout for it, but I won't hold my breath, but can always live in hope.

CliveJ
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by CliveJ on Apr 18, 18 6:32 PM
Just want to add my voice to those that have expressed disappointment/disgust at the forthcoming shutdown.
There is a GD forum on topix.com, but I haven't looked at it in any detail yet. There are definitely ads on it, but I suppose everything has to be paid for somehow.

Edited on 04/18/2018 at 6:34:08 PM PST

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Apr 18, 18 6:58 PM
I noted that there were very few “Views” of the Announcement re the GD Forums. I queried the Mod and was told it automatically appeared at the top, and they had no control over actual appearance. Then why are so many of the Mod posts in bold face and all CAPS? Hmmmmm

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 18, 18 7:02 PM
I'm going to cancel my BF membership at the end of the month, I'm not using my member discount that often anymore buying the games as most of the new releases are not the genres that I like and besides that they have half price and bogo sales all the time for non members as well so when I see a game that I want I will wait until they have a good sale, I can't see paying the monthly fee anymore just to get a free game on my punch card after five purchases. Many members across the forums are saying they are going to cancel their membership as well over the loss of the forums so we will see if they go through with it, BF might end up losing a lot of revenue over this decision.

[Post New]by glitter2goldfish on Apr 18, 18 7:03 PM
I have looked at the Midnight Castle forum and they have made moves to Pond Friends Forum and Delphi Forum but seems to me like some one would have to be a forum administrator and then there would also need to be appointed moderators. That is what I think but am not 100% sure how it all works. I will not join a social media like Face Book or any public internet chat rooms because of security. If anyone knows more on the technical side and can give suggestions for us GD players to create our own forum please come forward as we don't have much time. If that is not possible and anyone wants to stay connected to anyone else I guess we PM before the forum is shut down and exchange email addresses. At least we could discuss game and strategies for different levels in the cities. It sure is a shame that the forums can not be maintained and on the Midnight Castle forum folks were talking about abandoning Big Fish memberships and not buying any more games from them because of this decision they have made. I hope we find a solution and quickly.

Best regards
Glitter

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 18, 18 7:32 PM
The people putting together the new forums on Delphi and other places are unpaid volunteers and so will the moderators be, and I can't see as how it will last that long with people not having much time to devote to such a cause in the busy lives that we all have. Sites like Delphi are loaded with ads for the funding which nobody wants to look at plus they are probably collecting data from everyone on there just like facebook does. They said the Delphi users have to register with their email address, and some people on MC said they were using fake email address for that, so I don't want anything to do with a set up like that.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 19, 18 12:02 AM
glitter, in all the stuff I read through as quick as I could from the other forums in the last couple of days to try and keep my finger on the pulse of it and hopefully pick up a good idea for keeping the 'group' together, I did glean one bit of info about PMs. It seems that some people were trying to send each other their personal email addresses and a mod answered a few of them when they mentioned on the threads that PMs were going through blank, that the security, or scanning thing picks up ampersands etc and addresses that are strung together with the at symbol and so on. I suggest, if anyone does try that, to split it up. Like this: (and this is just a made up example of course, its not real) hello at big fish dot com Anyone can put things back together that way. That dot com, at, dash, underscore etc wording is a way I get around putting email or web addresses into photos I save so that later I can find the correct site to see if they have anything new or refresh my memory of where it came from etc because naming a file cannot contain symbols etc, just straight up letters and numbers

Edited on 04/19/2018 at 12:20:34 AM PST

[Post New]by glitter2goldfish on Apr 19, 18 6:55 AM
Thanks very much Jules,

I was looking at the posts in the Midnight Castle forum and I did see that explanation a few times there. It is good information to have here though as many folks have probably not been to the Midnight Castle forum at all. I am not sold on any of those ideas they have mentioned simply because I am not 100% convinced they are safe and also seems like someone tech savvy would initially have to set it up and then a few more folks would have to monitor the forum. Unfortunately I can do neither. Although I did not find this myself in a post from Lambina indicates developers of other games were not happy with Big Fish's decision and were going to send email to protest. I think the shut down of the forums will happen regardless though.

Best regards
Glitter

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Apr 19, 18 7:24 AM
Yep, I agree, I think its a done deal and nothing will change their mind. Maybe, just maybe, in the future, when a ton of people have withdrawn their memberships, like Lambina and others who pay for it every month, (which I didn't even know was a 'thing') and stopped buying new games etc as well, then it might make them do something. Lets all keep an eye on it in the future and if they do some new forum, we can partake again, but I really hoped someone would have a good solution to this, but it seems not. I just don't have that sort of techie know how to do it. In the meantime, I will just keep on playing. And pray they dont' delete this game.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 19, 18 9:13 AM
I have been surfing around on many game forums since the announcement was posted and there are protest threads going everywhere with very upset people, the post from the dev that I saw was from Elephant Games, somebody said the MC dev put out a post but I couldn't find it, there is a person who is one of the top reviewer's on the new release game page and she said she has talked to several devs who are not happy with BFs decision, and I'm sure the news has spread far and wide in the gaming world. When people stop buying games because there is no forum for game help the devs start losing money so I'm sure none of them are happy, but as you guys said I think this is a done deal. BF was recently bought by some company out of Australia called Aristocrat ( I think that was the name) for 900 million dollars, so there is money for a new forum system, but when new people take over a company there is always changes, new shareholders who want their pockets filled.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 19, 18 9:33 AM
Here is some more info, on the forum for Modern Tales Age of Invention there is a thread called " A sign up sheet to keep to forums active" it is 7 pages long, there are posts there from a dev from FHR games trying to help with the cause.

Go to: