bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for The Veil of Mystery: Seven Little Gnomes

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on May 27, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of The Veil of Mystery: Seven Little Gnomes? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the The Veil of Mystery: Seven Little Gnomes page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Veil of Mystery: Seven Little Gnomes

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on May 27, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

havasulady
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by havasulady on May 27, 13 1:18 AM
It is truly a bad game when you won't even spend an about to expire game credit on it. The first thing that turned me off was the inventory bar and the constant fumbling necessary to use it. The HO objects will blind anyone over 40, so insanely small. The womans voice was as good as a sleeping pill. The final nail for me was the crash and burn. Could not get out of the black screen and had to restart. Sorry BF, this one is a true lemon.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 27, 13 2:06 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

There is only the custom cursor.

In the Game Options you can turn the Sparklies on or off.

Your Diary is at the left. Inside you will find clues and hints to puzzles.
There is also a clock that shows how long you have played so far. If you, for example, skip a puzzle, 15 minutes will be added to that clock. *shakes head*

There are 36 Mystery Morphing Objects to be found, in the main scenes and in some zoomed-in areas as well.

The Inventory can only be accessed by clicking on the inventory.

The HINT button is on the right. It takes about 35 seconds for the hint to refill in Casual mode, inside and out of the HOS (hidden object scenes), which are not interactive, and which appear frequently.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about TWO minutes to fill in Casual mode.

There is no Map.

--- --- ---

I beta tested this game a long long time ago. The graphics are not very well done, and especially in the HOS they often don't make it easy to find objects.

The game plays clumsily, and although the story itself seems interesting enough, I didn't enjoy the time I played this game, and therefore won't get it, even with the sale on.

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

Played a long time ago

[Post New]by netnanna on May 27, 13 2:22 AM
I wase pretty sure i remembered this story, seems to an old game that has been updated, I don't remember this title, but as soon as I reached the fishpond puzzle, I KNEW I had played it before.
Seems to be a reasonably good game, usual mixture of HO and puzzles and locks and morphing objects, story quite good, good voice over, no map though.
Worth a try.

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

Played a long time ago

[Post New]by Hapless on May 27, 13 3:00 AM
netnanna wrote:I wase pretty sure i remembered this story, seems to an old game that has been updated, I don't remember this title, but as soon as I reached the fishpond puzzle, I KNEW I had played it before.
Seems to be a reasonably good game, usual mixture of HO and puzzles and locks and morphing objects, story quite good, good voice over, no map though.
Worth a try.

I agree with you about the fishpond puzzle it did seem familiar. I am enjoying this game very much. Yes the hidden objects are a tad small, but the puzzles have been good so far.

I really tuned into it straight away. I love riddles, as I have said before, like a crossword puzzle you either tune into the compiler or not.

A few little tweaks and I think they could be very good devs.

Linda

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on May 27, 13 5:51 AM
Well, this is an odd little game. I like it enough, and am intrigued enough, to use a punch code on it, but I can see that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

There are many, many HOS. I personally don't mind this, but I know many will. Also, the HOS are revisited, and previously found items have returned to the scene. I DO mind that, but I can overlook it. The HOS themselves are a weird mix - some items will be blurry, while others are very clear - makes each HOS seem like a collaborative effort. But with the exception of the very first scene, where most everything seemed blurry, the quality has been acceptable. When a scene is revisited, some of the items to be found are repeated; this can be either a plus or a minus. It seems a little lazy on the part of the devs, but it gets you out of the scene faster.

The morphing objects have, so far at least, been pretty obvious. But I like getting this sort of little extra, so I don't mind that. Also, I tend to forget to look for these after a while, so having them be more noticeable isn't a bad thing.

Yes, the voice over is kind of dull, but at least she isn't wildly overacting. Bearable. And I really like the music - melancholy, a bit menacing, seems to fit really well.

I DID encounter the "crash and burn" mentioned earlier. However, by using CNTRL, ALT, DEL I was able to get out of the game, go back in and continue playing. I had this happen right after finding the third gnome. I went to the Diary to read the poem and got the black screen. Upon returning to the game, I again got a black screen when trying to read the poem, but was able to return to the main part of the diary. I then COULD read the poem, and could continue play. Hope this helps.

The tasks so far are pretty simple, but I am playing on casual mode. I may switch that up when I buy and see if things get harder. Same thing for the puzzles. I did like the fish pond mini-game - something different, and that's always nice.

I will buy this game, and I'll be watching for another effort by these devs. At least the story is something a little different; I have had a hard time buying HOGs for a while now, because of constantly feeling like I'm playing the same game over and over. This doesn't feel that way.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on May 27, 13 7:24 AM
I played this game on another site and I liked it so well, I bough it there. And this has been a while back so the game is not new. Just new to BF. Personally, I loved it! The music, the story line, the ho scenes, everything! I did not play it all as I do belong to two other game sites, and SO many games to play, just have not gotten back to it. Might purchase this here using a PCC as so few games come along that I can use them on.

Really, once into it, you might find it intriguing as I did. I did think it difficult and a bit strange at first but it really grew on me. It's different and for me, that is a big plus!

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on May 27, 13 7:47 AM
I got through the entire demo with only one minor freeze. While some of the HO scenes are a bit blurry or "muddy" I didn't have very much trouble with them. Some of the names of things, however, are strange. "Mop" turned out to be a cleaning cloth... The music was appropriately eerie, and I didn't wind up turning it off as I often do with music in games. Not having a map is a drawback for me, but at least the hint button shows you clearly where to go. Based on the demo I think I'm going to get this with a credit.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 27, 13 8:03 AM
Played 40 minutes, casual

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, hardcore

- Voice overs

- Notebook

- No map

- 36 morphing objects to be found

- H0, regular, interactive, objects not too easy to find. A lot of them

- Some new mini games

- Quite enjoyed the graphics

- Good creepy music

Good story, old manor, treasure to be found, gold fever ?? I quite enjoyed what I've played, I think this game is well worth a punch card credit.

Edited on 05/27/2013 at 8:04:11 AM PST

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on May 27, 13 8:04 AM
I am not having any problems with the demo playing properly or crashing..but i do have problems with the way the game is designed to function. The inventory box has to be clicked on to access..which is a pain in itself..but then you end up clicking yourself into another scene when trying to access it. It's awkward because you have to hit it in just the right spot to prevent that from happening.

Not wild about the way the game navigates from scene to scene either. I just don't feel a natural sense of location when venturing throughout the house. It's a drag that everytime you click on a place of interest you have to go up and click the x to exit the box..should be able to click anywhere or once you have found the item it just disappears.
The HO scenes are a bit of a over kill and out of balance for this game setting which makes it a distraction and not fun..and the HO scenes are not very well developed either in regards to clarity or item design. Honestly, the HO scenes have a stale and boring feel of a page that is aged out of an old wore out book..they are lifeless imho.

All these things right here alone quickly gets frustrating and is a turn off to proceed any further. Story sounds interesting, but lacks proper staging by how the game functions and many of it's design elements which drains any attempt to bring the story to life. Just didn't appeal to me ... but hope others enjoy it as we all have different taste.

Demo download/install time: 45 seconds
Browser: Explorer
PC-Window7/64
AMD Radeon HD 7570
Broadband internet
USA Customer (Indiana)

Edited on 05/27/2013 at 8:07:15 AM PST

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on May 27, 13 8:13 AM
The introduction was spoken, without the benefit of words. True, the words could be read in the diary, but not in clear script. I almost deleted immediately due to the very poor graphics in the intro, but that got better. Not good, but not terrible. I could not play the full demo because my eyes got tired quickly. The hidden object list was written in tiny letters. There was a large enough area to make the lettering larger, but half f the space was blank. I don't understand why they can't increase the size of the print. Another of my pet peeves is the inclusion of sunlight coming in a window, thus further obscuring objects.

On the plus side, it was a different storyline. Maybe I'll finish the demo after a cup of coffee and my eyes can focus a bit better.

Enjoy the game, and the most excellent sale.

ysbrand
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ysbrand on May 27, 13 9:11 AM
Hey Twinsoniclab where did you get the CE for this game? Have looked and can't find a CE. Did you get it from another site?

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on May 27, 13 11:16 AM
You can't fix STUPID!! I couldn't get the power to turn on in the 1st scene & the hint button was useless. Kept saying to turn on power...duh!!! The devs should be ashamed of themselves for foisting such an unplayable game on the market & expecting us to pay them for it. Not ME......

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on May 27, 13 11:20 AM
All the other fishies have given full reviews so I'm just making a comment. I'm sorry I purchased this game even with a coupon. After playing for a full hour I have a serious headache from trying to find things in the HOS. I'll go back to another game to give my eyes a rest. To the developers - you obviously have a great game here if the graphics were better.

cabanaeast18
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by cabanaeast18 on May 27, 13 5:28 PM
I really liked this game immediately, starting with the storyline and vo's, and the clincher for me was th music and sound effects. I could go on, but everything has been said by some previous fishies already. I'm already trying to find more games now or in the future by these developers.....are there any?
For others who like this game, ENJOY!

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on May 27, 13 8:33 PM
cabanaeast18 wrote:I really liked this game immediately, starting with the storyline and vo's, and the clincher for me was th music and sound effects. I could go on, but everything has been said by some previous fishies already. I'm already trying to find more games now or in the future by these developers.....are there any?
For others who like this game, ENJOY!

I totally agree. To me, it is reminiscent of the early Ravenhearst games in some aspects. It does have a few small glitches which thankfully my computer system can handle, so far. I was hoping for more of a gnome theme, but I am still happy with the game-play.

firekat7
Clownfish
Clownfish
954 Posts

[Post New]by firekat7 on May 27, 13 11:33 PM
Audreyfavre wrote:
I totally agree. To me, it is reminiscent of the early Ravenhearst games in some aspects. It does have a few small glitches which thankfully my computer system can handle, so far. I was hoping for more of a gnome theme, but I am still happy with the game-play.

I'm glad you said it reminded you of the early Ravenhearst games. I thought it was just me. I haven't played all the way through yet, but what reminds me of Ravenhearst so far are the doorlock puzzles on everything, not so obvious solutions to some of the puzzles, the dark yet intriguing mansion, the sound effects.

This game got me interested in the story right away, which is important to me. I don't like to be bored by or uninvolved in the plot.

My game is a little glitchy, too, like those described in the tech thread. BFG is good at making sure there is a fix, so I'm sure we'll see that within a week.

Being bonus punch Monday AND 2 for 1, this is a great buy.

[Post New]by hbajramovic on May 28, 13 1:38 AM
Love the game! Story line, scenes music and everything else is just spot on. I find the game really intriguing and it really pulled me in!

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on May 28, 13 8:26 AM
This game is surprisingly good. The graphics is great, 3d, life like rendering. Music will drive u mad but can be turned off. 3 game modes from casual to hard.

Morphing objects can be anything and they are hard to spot, they dont actually morphed, they look like ordinary objects. Usually for CE morphing objects kinda of change its shape to something else quite fast to attract your attention that it is "morphing". This is not a ce but it includes collectibles in the form of morphing objects

I didnt see a walkthrough or strategy guide, so I wont know whether I missed some, there are 36 morphing objects, find one and it will tell u, morphing object found 1/36.
I also didnt see an interactive map but areas to play are not large

Its almost 85% HOS and 15% puzzles, but is still good, just not sure why some gamers didnt quite like it, maybe coz of the HOS. I actually was abt to rate it badly except for graphics and storyline, but I was caught unaware as the 1hr trial progresses and I really do like it

Since its not a ce, get it with a stamp, u really need to try it to like it.

Go to: