Stuck in Hall in Germany

[Post New]by signorabeatrice on May 28, 13 10:24 PM
I'm stuck.

I used the wrench to remove the four bolts on the handle on the left side wall of the Hall (the room with the piranha fish tank), but the plate itself stayed on. When I click the compass while looking at the handle/plate, it says there's nothing left to do, but when I click the hint in the room, it pings the wrench and then that plate.

I used the suggestion from GMMan_BZFlag in another discussion, and restored the game to the start of the Germany area, thinking maybe the game had just glitched, and that didn't help at all.

What am I missing?? Can someone help?

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

Re:Stuck in Hall in Germany

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Jun 4, 13 1:42 PM
This is a known bug, and it happens particularly if the game speed is too high. (That's just with my testing. I haven't figured out exactly why it happens. Probably something's not firing after an animation, or firing at the wrong time.) I don't have a copy of the game handy, but if you'd like to somehow get your game save to me, I'll gladly take a look. Game save should be in %appdata%\AlexanderTheGreat (enter that into the address bar of Explorer).

[Post New]by signorabeatrice on Jun 5, 13 9:00 AM
So if I re-restore back to the start of Germany, and slow down the game speed, I've got a chance to have it not bug on me?

Edited: Re-restored, tried settings menu, couldn't find any way to slow it down. Tried again, same error with the bolts and the plate they were fastening.

Edited on 06/05/2013 at 9:09:05 AM PST

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Jun 7, 13 11:15 AM
Game speed is a developer mode thing. I typically use it to get to parts of the game that I want to mess with. You shouldn't need to worry about it. IIRC the game does a location save after you finish a location, not during, so I'm not sure where you're getting the Germany save from. Try the one immediately before the Germany save (which is the Museum, IIRC).

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Jun 11, 13 8:51 AM
I've tried to restore the game save to when you first entered Eckernforde, and the plate will come off for me. Here's how to do it:

1. Navigate to %appdata%\AlexanderTheGreat
2. Open up the Profiles folder, and open the folder with your profile number (presumably 1).
3. Open the folder named "Save_Ekkenferde".
4. Select all of the files in there, and copy them (hit Ctrl-C).
5. Go back a folder, and enter the "autosave" folder.
6. Paste the files you've copied, and overwrite all when prompted.
7. Play the game.

If that doesn't work (you've mentioned you've tried that before), I'll send you a copy of the files with the panel open.

[Post New]by signorabeatrice on Jun 11, 13 10:16 AM
Tried the process as you outlined. Yes, I had tried it before. I had tried it multiple times before.

Still no dice. *sighs* Bolts come out just fine, but panel does not disconnect. All I see is the panel, with four holes in the corner, right where there used to be bolts.

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Jun 11, 13 11:18 AM
All right. I will send you a copy of the save with the panel removed.

(I have looked through the scripts, and there's nothing immediately wrong about them. Somehow it's not executing the part where it finds all bolts are removed. Chances are it's erroring out right before it reaches that part. I'd like to debug, but of course I have no idea where to reach you, and you'll need a bunch of other tools. So let's not do that.)

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Jun 14, 13 9:02 AM
I did some debugging, and figured out why this is happening. When a bolt is clicked on, it runs a script that locks the scene, runs the timeline, checks if all bolts have been removed, removes the panel if so, and unlocks the scene. It uses a variable to keep track of how many bolts have been removed, and if there are four bolts removed, it continues to the part of the script where it removes the panel. Unfortunately, the code that increments the number of bolts removed is executed from the timeline, and due to the way the timeline wait code is implemented it is possible for the code to increment the variable to execute after the code that checks that variable. Since the code that removes the panel is only called when you remove a bolt, you can't remove the panel after all bolts are removed, if the panel isn't removed after the last bolt is removed. So yeah, timing issue.

Go to: