bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Dark Dimensions: City of Ash Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 1, 13 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Dimensions: City of Ash Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Dimensions: City of Ash Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Dimensions: City of Ash Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 1, 13 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jun 1, 13 1:22 AM

Played 40 minutes, casual

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, hard, you can swap mode while playing going to the options

- Voice overs

- Notebook

- Shortly after playing you get an interactive map which shows area of interest

- Integrated SG, top left of the screen, which only shows 2 chapters in the sample

- Extras : bonus chapter, Music, concept art, wallpaper

- Throughout the game you have to find 15 golden animals

- You can lock your inventory in raised position

- Interactive H0, you have to find an item to get another

- Hint refills quickly in casual mode and is useful outside H0

- Skip button

- Mini games, nothing very new and not over difficult up till what I've played, info button down left of your screen

- Music fits the game...didn't notice too much

- Beautiful graphics

I played the beta of this game a while ago and wasn't too keen, had this feeling of "deja vu". Replayed it today and I'm happy I did as I enjoyed the game. May be because we didn't get over good ones these past days You arrive in a prosperous mining town, there's been a volcano eruption, Dark Dimensions have taken over, why ?? Which secret holds this town ? Up to you to find out... Of course you get this ghostly figure right in front of your car in the beginning and of course you crash in the landscape, fortunately it's near your goal
This game is a buy for me.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 1, 13 1:55 AM
It's a HOPA -- yes, we've seen it all before…
Wide screen
Voice overs
Uneven artwork (IMHO)
Interactive HOs -- very easy and frequent
Puzzles -- well, the demo ended in the middle of a math based one, 2 others were familiar and simple. (I'm intimidated by math )
Diary but no map (yet) -- Poutoule clearly plays faster than I do!
3 modes -- black bar info for all, no hints or skips in hardest, sparkles only in casual
Collectibles in main and bonus game -- perhaps well hidden, I saw none in the demo, then again there are only 12. (Or 15 -- darn math!)

CE extras:
Guide -- sorry, forgot to look at # of chapters
Bonus Chapter
Collectibles display
The usual Fluff

The story:
The Dark Dimensions expert is on his 3rd case. This time the townspeople of Phoenix Hill, a mining community, have all turned to ash after an apparent volcanic eruption. We learn early on that the Mayor and his daughter were at odds over the mining. Audrey wanted it to stop; the mayor said the town would not survive without it. Audrey died before the town was destroyed. Mr. Dark Dimensions has met her ghost. She's trying to be helpful, but some other entity keeps thwarting your progress.

Trust me -- the story is the one thing about this game that will keep you awake. The cut scenes are not visually appealing, the voice acting is fair, the inventory items are used almost as soon as you acquire them, there are too many HOs (IMHO), The puzzles are not difficult (unless your algebra teacher made you hate math), and there's too much helpful black bar info to leave much adventure.

The coffee cup -- well, I needed to stay awake.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jun 1, 13 2:44 AM
Played on advanced mode and no sparkles or glints. Demo ended with 4 minutes left and I was pretty underwhelmed with the game.

Starts off with a car crash and the 'villain' is the usual red-eyed type (though not wearing a cloak for a change); these are both used in too many games.
The graphics were reasonably good, puzzles ridiculously easy for the most part and a lot of HOS with a fair amount of inter-activity. The voice overs are done well enough. There was a map but I don't know if it could be used to jump to a location as I didn't try it. I found one collectible during the demo. Extras included the usual stuff I don't want aside from the bonus chapter which was locked; the wallpapers weren't, which will please some. I never use them.

It was all a bit on the easy side, which is not to say I wouldn't play it but it didn't make me want to buy it now and certainly not at the CE price. I will wait for the SE.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jun 1, 13 5:22 AM
Sorry, as a former Californian, I felt I had to respond. A prosperous mining town in the 1950's with a volcano????? Is this anything like Brecht's chalk pit in or near Chicago in Jungle of the Cities, or Puccini's desert outside of New Orleans in Manon Lescaut? Must be, because mining was primarily done during the gold rush (that's 1849 on), and while California has the capacity for some (barely) active volcanos, generally speaking eruptions (like Mt. St. Helens in Washington State) haven't been known in many centuries. I just sat there laughing at the game description, and no, I'm not checking it out. Too unbelievable. So, a note to developers: while most game players are pretty forgiving at your flights of fancy, sometimes you go waaay too far.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jun 1, 13 6:07 AM
It's a pretty game but I found it way too easy. I got barely more than half an hour out of the demo without skipping ..... maybe as a SE.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Jun 1, 13 6:55 AM
The game begins as you are on your way to Phoenix Hill to investigate another “dark dimension” phenomenon. As you approach the town, you have an accident and then encounter an apparition who asks you to stop the spread of an evil that swallowed her town. Yes, you have found another dark dimension: can you find what terrible event triggered it?

As for technical aspects there are 3 modes of gameplay – casual, advanced and hard. The game opened automatically in widescreen on my Windows8 laptop, but there is an option for widescreen when the fullscreen button is selected. Although it is widescreen the graphics do appear a bit stretched so the developer should have included aspect correction. Where this bothered me the most was in the HOS since it did skew the appearance of some items a bit, but not so much that it was actually troublesome.

The graphics are crisp and colorful – no drab washed out color palette here. Even when a game may have a “dark” theme, it is so much better when the development team chooses to incorporate intense color. The visual aspect always increases my enjoyment of a game and I appreciate the beautiful, colorful graphics used by the developer in Dark Dimensions. We also have good voiceovers and a very nice musical score that fits the theme of the game.

There is a jumpable map that shows areas where something needs to be done and you also have a diary. The strategy guide is located in the upper left corner of your screen.

The HOS are very interactive, with almost every item triggering another item which removes two items from your list. The mini puzzles are not too different but are good and some a bit challenging.

Aside from a collection where you find golden animals and the bonus game, there is not much else in the way of bonus content so some of you might want to wait and get the SE. As for me, the game is so good that I will go ahead and purchase the CE version.

In the final analysis, Dark Dimensions: City of Ash is a high quality game with a very interesting story. I found that at the end of the demo I had to continue playing to find out what caused the dark dimension in Phoenix Hill.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jun 1, 13 7:41 AM
I don't know why the devs did this but in the very opening of the game the scene had talking that I could barely hear because the settings weren't available until AFTER I was in the game. Then I could access the Menu button to change the settings. This was frustrating to me. I should be able to set the sound, music, etc level BEFORE scenes of this type are played. This is not the first time either when a game did this.

Despite this, I still enjoyed the game and the further I played, the less linear it became. The map is a good one but I was surprised that it showed all the locations with pictures and names. Of course the ones that were not available yet had a lock on them. For me, it took away the mystery of the locations that weren't discovered yet. Probably a minor point.

The puzzles I encountered were good but because of the presentation of them, I wasn't aware that they were puzzles ready to be solved. Usually when you find all the pieces, the puzzle expands to full screen. I was playing the "awards"puzzle before I realized it was one. I was expecting to get the message "Not all pieces are found yet" (or something like that), then I discovered the "info" button and realized I was playing the puzzle. Wow how brilliant of me-LOL

I am a little on the fence about purchasing this one and will wait until I see if a decent sale price comes along. Some of the CE's may not be worth the price but if a BOGOF sale comes along then it is definitely worth it.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jun 1, 13 8:40 AM
angelfish106 wrote:Played on advanced mode and no sparkles or glints. Demo ended with 4 minutes left and I was pretty underwhelmed with the game.

Starts off with a car crash and the 'villain' is the usual red-eyed type (though not wearing a cloak for a change); these are both used in too many games.
The graphics were reasonably good, puzzles ridiculously easy for the most part and a lot of HOS with a fair amount of inter-activity. The voice overs are done well enough. There was a map but I don't know if it could be used to jump to a location as I didn't try it. I found one collectible during the demo. Extras included the usual stuff I don't want aside from the bonus chapter which was locked; the wallpapers weren't, which will please some. I never use them.

It was all a bit on the easy side, which is not to say I wouldn't play it but it didn't make me want to buy it now and certainly not at the CE price. I will wait for the SE.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jun 1, 13 8:41 AM
Edit to say I agree with Angelfish106. I do like the game but there is so much to read and so many cut scenes to wait through or skip. I will probably buy as a SE.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 1, 13 8:50 AM
Wow how awesome! California (looks more reminiscent of Europe, but who cares) with its own active volcano! Yeh! Maybe the volcanoes from the Pacific Northwest decided to be one of the few entities to actually relocate to California instead of moving out of it. Perhaps it will take the whole pitiful state with it and push it into the Pacific! And let's get rid of the evil gold diggers (should have a setting in Hollywood for that one) as well, especially that rascally mayor. To me, this game is not that bad. I found the puzzles decent. A little too many HOG scenes for my taste, but don't go by me, I hate most HOG scenes. So, if you like them, you will like this game. It is well paced. I don't particularly like the graphics, but again this is a personal opinion as well. I will probably break down and purchase. Of the two offerings this weekend, to me, this is the preferable one. It is definitely fast paced and keeps you engaged which is a winner to me. I do not like games which are so boring you can actually fall asleep. It seems that this one will keep you in suspense. Not as good as others lately, but not that bad. This is an above average game and if you are looking for something to while away the hours, this would be a good choice.

Edited on 06/01/2013 at 8:59:36 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 1, 13 11:48 AM
Don't know why I always seem to like what other fishes don't but this one is GREAT! It has a map that has tasks you need to do and where you are. The HOG's are fun and can see them, I didn't have any problem with reading or hearing, it was fine. Puzzles I can solve, instead of having to skip. Story is a good one, who cares about the Volcano, this is just a fantasy anyway.. Give it 4 out of 5 stars Will be a buy for me...

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Jun 1, 13 12:42 PM
I played the beta of this game and enjoyed it. Was interested in when the "real" game would arrive and here it is.

Seriously, I don't play these games for their reality - so a volcano in California isn't a problem for me. I live in Texas..., have you seen all those westerns that are supposed to be set in Texas but were really filmed in California, Arizona, or almost anyplace but Texas? The trees are wrong, the rivers are wrong (ours are most often just a trickle), etc, etc, but the story is often just fine. I don't watch movies for geographic reality either.....

So, the whole point of the volcano is that it's not normal and is being caused by the evil which has invaded the area, so no "real" reality expected by me. Just a good game with nice HObj's , good mini-games, and a decent storyline. This game delivers those and I just bought it. Am looking forward to a nice gaming weekend!
*** edited for spelling error

Edited on 06/01/2013 at 12:43:24 PM PST

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Jun 1, 13 1:17 PM
This is not a bad game, but I agree that it probably is more suited as an SE. As far as an active volcano in California...I lived 15 miles from Mt. Lassen, an active Dome type volcano in Northern California that blew around 1911 I believe. It has many active areas and one side is referred to as the "devastated area" as that is where it blew out and everything is dead. We had "lava" insurance and pretty sure it will blow once again as it has been getting more and more active every year.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 1, 13 1:34 PM
Your humble reviewer stands corrected. I have been informed by my more erudite friends (went to far better schools of higher learning than "moi" and are bigger smarty pants than me) that I have "lava" for brains. Yes, Mt. Shasta as well as others are located in California. Mea culpa. I am more familiar with southern California so I stand corrected and apologize to all those lava loving Californians who I have insulted. I believe Mt. Shasta, besides being a slumbering volcano is the site of other strange and unusual events as well. Perhaps it is time for a road trip.

By the way, BarbaraBB, being somewhat familiar with West Texas, there are volcanic cones near Big Bend Park. Being slightly familiar with a ranch near Mitre Peak near Alpine (which is a volcanic core) there are volcanic remnants in that area of Texas. Yes, volcanoes did indeed exist in Texas in our prehistoric past! It is pretty cool to see the various cones around the area . GIg em horns!

Edited on 06/01/2013 at 2:38:05 PM PST

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jun 1, 13 1:51 PM
i liked this in beta and was excited when it popped up today. It started as I remembered, nicely done graphics etc..but is was shorter than I'd hoped. Plus, there something to be said when the bonus play is actually morw fun than the main game..but that's probably just me.
kris

mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by mystine on Jun 1, 13 2:42 PM
Ok not sure what I can say technically that hasnt already been covered...I played the demo and was a little dissappointed...very predictable...no real challenge to speak of. I liked City of Fog better it seemed to have more substance to it if that makes any sense....anyway wont be buying as a CE...will wait for the SE and use a credit. Happy Gaming <3

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 1, 13 5:03 PM
Okay, I have the first two DD games (City of Fog is the best) and was a little disappointed in this one. Graphics were okay, although a little washed out. Game play is nice, SG is nice, music and sound FX good. Hint system seemed a little slow on the return, but helpful when used. Very nice voice overs. Nice jump map (I like the way it is set up).

There is a lot of talking, maybe to make the game seem longer than it is. I don't care for games that do not show you all the chapters in a demo, they are usually always short games and I won't pay that much for one. I do not like it when I click off the custom cursor and it doesn't return to the arrow...very irritating...why bother putting that option in the settings when it is useless.

HOGs are a mix of straight HOG and "find me and use me with another item." Games are very simple. I did not find this game challenging at all and got bored with it very quickly. Don't know what the deal is lately, but we have had a rash of very poor games. This is not a bad game, but did not grab me and make me want to buy it to see what happens. I recommend this game as more of a beginner level. Not for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to your liking. Thanks for the reviews.

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Jun 1, 13 5:09 PM
sunnyglow wrote:Your humble reviewer stands corrected. I have been informed by my more erudite friends (went to far better schools of higher learning than "moi" and are bigger smarty pants than me) that I have "lava" for brains. Yes, Mt. Shasta as well as others are located in California. Mea culpa. I am more familiar with southern California so I stand corrected and apologize to all those lava loving Californians who I have insulted. I believe Mt. Shasta, besides being a slumbering volcano is the site of other strange and unusual events as well. Perhaps it is time for a road trip.

By the way, BarbaraBB, being somewhat familiar with West Texas, there are volcanic cones near Big Bend Park. Being slightly familiar with a ranch near Mitre Peak near Alpine (which is a volcanic core) there are volcanic remnants in that area of Texas. Yes, volcanoes did indeed exist in Texas in our prehistoric past! It is pretty cool to see the various cones around the area . GIg em horns!

Not offended here . Lot's of stuff I can still learn, even at my age , or maybe ESPECIALLY at my age

Go to: