bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Enigma Agency: The Case of Shadows

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 2, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Enigma Agency: The Case of Shadows? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Enigma Agency: The Case of Shadows page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Enigma Agency: The Case of Shadows

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 2, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 2, 13 12:39 AM
Swim on over here to check out the reviews for the CE version of this game.

bfgBaikal

Edited on 06/02/2013 at 12:40:29 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 2, 13 12:46 PM
I tried the CE version as well and was not kicked out about it, but thought I would give the SE a try (feel free to read my review under the CE). After a second look at the game, I have decided my dislikes are still dislikes and I will not even use a credit on this one.

Graphics and game play are not bad, a lot (and I mean a lot) of talking and not much action. Still very quiet game. HOGs are a bit different, but a few like this now and then is plenty, not almost the entire hour. Again, stiff, plastic looking people with very silly dialogue in a lot of places. My CE review was a bit more indepth than this one, but all still holds true for the SE version as well.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this quite to your liking. Thanks for the reviews.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 3, 13 4:41 AM
yes, we give this game a 4.5 star out of 5 star, it had some great puzzles and it was fun to play. it is a very long game and it is a GOOD storyline.........................................doug & lisa--------------

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Jun 6, 13 12:51 AM
REVIEW BASED ON COMPLETED GAME.

Although I found the story to be all too familiar and predictable, the game play was smooth, interesting and highly interactive. For me, it was worth $6.99, and an absolute bargain if you can get it on a sale.

There are 3 modes of play:
Casual: There are large sparkles indicating HOS and glints for other areas of interest.
Advanced: There are large sparkles indicating HOS, but no glints for other interactive areas.
Expert: There are no sparkles at all, no hints and no skip.
Note: You can change mode mid-game, by accessing "settings" in the menu.

There are voice overs. I found some of the dialogue in the beginning to be mildly annoying and unnecessary as the heroine repeated requests or objectives that had just been revealed. e.g. She tells us that " He needs a glass of water" immediately after he just stated that he needed a glass of water. However, I didn't notice this as much as the game progressed.

There is a map. It cannot be used to transport. However, the hint button is extremely helpful in navigating. The map shows your current location and locations where you have already visited. If you hover over the grey dots that indicate locations visited, a picture of the location and tasks to be completed at that location appears.

There is a diary containing story and important clues/codes.

HOS: There are approximately 12 interactive HOS. I thought that the graphics were crisp and clear. In the first chapter, there are 2 highly interactive HOS requiring you to find objects to set off chain reactions (like dominoes). I was very disappointed to find that there were no more of this type of HOS past the demo.

Hints: Hints recharge in 1 min in casual mode and 2 mins in advanced mode. There are no hints in expert mode. There is a count-down timer if you hover over the hint button. Hint is extremely helpful outside of HOS in casual and advanced mode. If you click on the hint button outside of HOS, the arrow directs you to the location, then an object in inventory is circled as is it's place of use. I would have preferred if I was just pointed in the right direction. Then, if I needed further help, I could click on hint again.

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Jun 6, 13 1:01 AM
contd:

Puzzles: There are 47 puzzles. They can be skipped in 2 mins in casual mode and 4 mins in advanced mode. There is a count-down timer on the skip button. There is no skip in expert mode, but you can easily switch modes if you get stuck, as I did several times.

There were some unique puzzles and some interesting variations on the classical puzzles. There were several (5 or 6) arcade type puzzles, requiring speed and/or accuracy.

I counted anything with an info button and a skip button as a puzzle, but many were extremely easy. In some other games they would be just simple in-game interactions, such as entering a code in a lock.

I consider myself to be weak in puzzles, but I found 22 to be extremely easy, I had to skip 5 puzzles, and the rest were of medium difficulty for me.

Overall, I was very pleased with this game. The story was uninspired and meandered around to come full circle, ending with a satisfactory, albeit abrupt conclusion. Highlight for spoiler: The story begins with the main character asking if this is real, or a dream..... we go through the usual fare of someone needing to be rescued, the familiar evil character draining the life force through some contraption, rescue complete (I think )....and it ends with the main character asking the same question "Was that real or just a dream?" Cue twilight zone theme. Much of the dialogue was redundant, but it didn't interrupt game flow too much for me. I think that the skip button is much too long, and there didn't appear to be a reset button on puzzles. I really detested that the game ended with a puzzle that required speed and accuracy. After a very enjoyable 6 hours of playing, I didn't want to end the game by using the skip button. Highlight for spoiler/details of final puzzle: In the final puzzle, you had to fight 2 warriors. Areas of their bodies were highlighted in green and red. You had to click on the green to attack the warriors. Each had a bar above and you had to deplete their "health" while maintaining your own. If you clicked on red areas of their bodies, your "health" depleted. As I didn't want to end such an otherwise wonderful game with a skip, I had to go back to the previous chamber to reset the puzzle until I beat it.
Despite these annoyances, I would recommend this game. For me, it was 4 out of 5 . As always, do try for yourself, as we all have such different tastes.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 6, 13 11:36 PM
Challenging & Exciting

BASED ON CE COMPLETED GAME

I had just completed Chapter 4 of 9, which had taken me almost 3 hours on EASY, despite EXCESSIVE use of HINT, SKIP and the STRATEGY GUIDE, when I first sat down to write this review. Unusual for me, I forgot to submit it, so I get to comment on the full version after all. Which is a good thing, because the game actually changes in character at the halfway mark.

The STORY is a little different from the norm, we must rescue our BOSS, from a CENTRAL AMERICAN source of EVIL. A CURSED MAP has brought ancient evil down upon him and a SHAMAN has kidnapped him from his home before your very eyes. You must find and piece the map together to discover your destination in the jungle.

Halfway through the game, I had just managed to locate the map and enter the jungle. The CUT-SCENE for this is SPECTACULAR and actually scary. All the cut-scenes are very dramatic, as are the AMBIENT SOUNDS & VISUALS, creating a very threatening atmosphere.

The GAMEPLAY is MOSTLY ADVENTURE, with some very CHALLENGING PUZZLES. There are only a few HOS, and they are static, straightforward LISTS. Not interactive. In the JUNGLE part of the game, the PUZZLES get EASIER, there are MORE HOS, and even the ADVENTURE became MORE LINEAR.

The PUZZLES include PUZZLE BOARDS (unskippable even on easy) that require interaction with a number of items to retrieve your inventory item. However, the TWO in the DEMO, were the ONLY ONES in the whole game. The OTHER PUZZLES include traditional ones altered to make them more difficult, and SOME NEW ones. SKIP is VERY SLOW.

There is a lot of to and fro, and the MAP tells you only WHERE YOU’VE BEEN and where you haven’t, with no jump feature to reduce the footwork. HINT, though is VERY GOOD, only one click is required to get the directional arrows all the way to the next action.

I enjoyed this game a lot, the jungle more than the first half, because I’m not much good with puzzles, but at first I pegged this as A GAME FOR EXPERTS, but IT ISN’T. It appears that way only in the DEMO and I consider that offensively DECEPTIVE.

Note: If you’re thinking about buying the CE version, FORGET IT. The altered ending is LAME, as is the BONUS CHAPTER, which has few new scenes and is a HO GAME, with almost NO PUZZLES, and HOS visited twice each.

It can’t be denied that this SE VERSION is the BETTER game with DRAMA and ORIGINALITY on its side.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jun 7, 13 8:30 AM
the voice over was extrenely irritating, so much so that i deleted after 10 minutes

Beadfisher
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Beadfisher on Jun 8, 13 1:18 PM
Fooey. Boo! I find interactive Rube Goldberg devices highly irritating and will not buy any game that subjects me to two right off the bat.

Edited on 06/08/2013 at 1:19:29 PM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 28, 13 2:50 AM
NIMHURCHU wrote:contd:

Puzzles: There are 47 puzzles. They can be skipped in 2 mins in casual mode and 4 mins in advanced mode. There is a count-down timer on the skip button. There is no skip in expert mode, but you can easily switch modes if you get stuck, as I did several times.

<snip>

I think that the skip button is much too long, and there didn't appear to be a reset button on puzzles. I really detested that the game ended with a puzzle that required speed and accuracy. After a very enjoyable 6 hours of playing, I didn't want to end the game by using the skip button.

47 puzzles? Really? That many? With a 2 minute skip in casual mode? That's over an hour and a half of sitting and waiting for the skip button to fill.

I really have to thank NIMHURCHU for the heads up. I won't even bother trying this one.

Edited on 06/28/2013 at 2:51:41 AM PST

skippystwin
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by skippystwin on Jan 5, 14 1:34 PM
I'm taking a break just to write this review. Many of the puzzles are the same, irritating ones in most other games (requiring luck and a lot of hit and miss clicking) and the skip takes about 45 minutes to refill. Okay, I'm exaggerating on that a bit.

Go to: