I have given up

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

I have given up

[Post New]by lineck on Mar 1, 09 10:49 PM
Well I have realy tried to get into this game as it has a lot of good reviews, but NOT for me. I have finally given up and I am only on chapter 3, I cannot see most of the items, they are in the dark if I use a hint then click I still get penalized because I cannot see it and click next to it, I have windows XP and have over 100 games never had issues before, I also have a games Logitech Mouse and that goes haywire pn this game only.. The only other game I was disappointed with was Hollywood Detective that gave too little time on silloettes. I get games to relax but eye strain is not relaxing to me. Pity as I loved the puzzles, but there is no good playing a games if I have to follow a walkthrough just to find it in the dark. Oh for another RTR, or Magic Encylopedia, Azeda, Dream Chronicles or Mushroom Age. I'm getting fed up with Unwell Mel and Fairway Soliaire. and Finished Inspector Parker three times, hanging on for the next one.

Cheers
lineck

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:I have given up

[Post New]by bribling on Mar 1, 09 11:45 PM
I am sorry but i do know how you feel, I am struggling with this game because of the tiny items and the dark places. Like you, I cannot see a lot of things and it is tiresome to quit the game to look at a screen capture or a walkhrough. If I play windows mode, I don't have to quit the game but items along the edges cannot be seen or clicked on.

I lose Hints trying to find the Hotspots on some of these items. I had to click 3 times on the BOW and it is one of the largest items I have had to find. I was afraid I would lose one of the few Hints I had left so inbetween clicks I hunted for other "bows".

After more than two days of fooling around in Venice (I think that's it) I was able to get back on the train and then had to find the same collections of tiny items I had already found before - dice, screws and something else. This is certainly a dirty trick. It was a living H*** to find those things the first time and I was so glad to get past them. I don't know if that was planned or luck-of-the-draw but it is definitely dirty

I am debating with myself whether or not to give up. This is just so frustrating and I was so looking forward to enjoying this game. Maybe I am just too blind to play these games anymore

I have been looking forward to the next Hidden Expedition but the last one was difficult for me (the tiny items) and I have no hope that the next will be better.

In the past one of the criticisms of HOs was the unreal size of items. I suppose all of that fuss has led to more and more teeny tiny "realistic" items. This seems to be getting worse with every game (sigh).

rozanne123
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by rozanne123 on Mar 2, 09 5:40 AM
I have had a problem with this game also. I am in Vicotr's bathroom looking for the hairclip. The hint shows it to be on the handle of the mirror and I have been penalized for clicking. I have clicked all over the mirror to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Mar 2, 09 5:46 AM
I had that problem -- it's just a plain old bobby pin!

This game was obviously written by people who don't speak English as their primary language. I could tell that right away when I had to look for an "insulated flask." What the heck is that? Finally realized it's a thermos, at least in American English.

Levendig
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Levendig on Mar 2, 09 7:37 AM
bribling wrote:I am sorry but i do know how you feel, I am struggling with this game because of the tiny items and the dark places. Like you, I cannot see a lot of things and it is tiresome to quit the game to look at a screen capture or a walkhrough. If I play windows mode, I don't have to quit the game but items along the edges cannot be seen or clicked on.

I lose Hints trying to find the Hotspots on some of these items. I had to click 3 times on the BOW and it is one of the largest items I have had to find. I was afraid I would lose one of the few Hints I had left so inbetween clicks I hunted for other "bows".

After more than two days of fooling around in Venice (I think that's it) I was able to get back on the train and then had to find the same collections of tiny items I had already found before - dice, screws and something else. This is certainly a dirty trick. It was a living H*** to find those things the first time and I was so glad to get past them. I don't know if that was planned or luck-of-the-draw but it is definitely dirty

I am debating with myself whether or not to give up. This is just so frustrating and I was so looking forward to enjoying this game. Maybe I am just too blind to play these games anymore

I have been looking forward to the next Hidden Expedition but the last one was difficult for me (the tiny items) and I have no hope that the next will be better.

In the past one of the criticisms of HOs was the unreal size of items. I suppose all of that fuss has led to more and more teeny tiny "realistic" items. This seems to be getting worse with every game (sigh).

Levendig
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Levendig on Mar 2, 09 7:41 AM
Here is my reply dear Bribling: Pls. don't give up this marvellous game... try to take your time to find all the things even if in the dark scenes... You never forgive yourself by giving up... reading the posts that you missed something very, very lovely and.... you imagine to be on that train for real !!! Please come on board!!
Good
Levendig

rozanne123
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Re:I have given up-

[Post New]by rozanne123 on Mar 2, 09 8:29 AM
BinLA wrote:I had that problem -- it's just a plain old bobby pin!

This game was obviously written by people who don't speak English as their primary language. I could tell that right away when I had to look for an "insulated flask." What the heck is that? Finally realized it's a thermos, at least in American English.

Thank you so much, didn't see it and didn't think of a bobby pin. Cost me five hints and then I posted and thanks to you I found it!

suzangh
Shark
Shark
10,217 Posts

[Post New]by suzangh on Mar 2, 09 8:40 AM
I played a few minutes of this game. I think I like it and want to buy it.
Yes, many items are tiny and hard to find. I guess if they were all easy we'd complain that it was too easy! LoL

I'm still waiting for The Lost City but maybe I'll get serpent of isis in the meantime.

Tammy735
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Tammy735 on Mar 2, 09 11:24 AM
Don't give up. Some of the objects are really hard to find because they are so small.

If you really get stuck and run out of hints, use your Paint Program and then click on the magnifying glass to make the picture bigger. I have found so many things myself by using that program.

Keep at it. It is a great game, but frustrating at times.

[Post New]by huntersmome on Mar 2, 09 1:11 PM
Dont forget that you can get hints by finding the particular object (i think some have 10 or more) per suspect your working on.. I didnt realize that i was supposed to be looking for those as well until half way through the game.. Once i started collecting that object in each scene (look at your suspect card in the inventory and it will tell you what object is associated with what person) I was ending up with 20 hints sometimes.. Good luck.. It was actually one of the better games that has come out lately. I enjoyed it and was really glad i used my credit for it. Took me a few days to finish....It is frustrating clicking all over sometimes, but like someone else said, if they were to easy we would complain about that as well!

lilhexy
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by lilhexy on Mar 2, 09 2:01 PM
I just finished the game and I loved it. I know some of the items are harder to find but thats what I like about it. If things are too easy to find I get bored fast and the game doesnt last very long. I saw someone say they finished Inspector Parker three times..which game is that? Have a great day all and good luck with the games!
Tami
lilhexy

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 2, 09 2:43 PM
In addition to the items being tiny some of the scenes are way TOO DARK. I can understand have a dark scene where you can use the flashlight. I don’t think anybody likes those scenes because they are so tedious. I understand throwing one of those in for variety and a challenge. But the other DARK scenes are unnecessary and unpleasant to play. I know the developers want to make the game challenging but why make it unpleasant? HOG players like to use skill when finding items. We don’t like to just blindly click around on a dark screen.

There are two other things that I noticed that seem to be just poor quality control in the game programming and design. Some of the items are very hard to pick up. The click recognition field is not as big as the item. There is a tiny match in a plastic bin with poker chips and you can’t click just anywhere on the match to pick it up; you have to click on the very bottom edge. The match is small enough so why make it harder to recognize.

There is also the letter T on a clock face in another scene. The same thing happens. In the first place the item is extremely small and very difficult to tell that is actually a letter T. So when you click on it and get no response you move on and look elsewhere. Then finally by using a hint you are brought back to the same place. After clicking on each tiny pixel the game finally recognizes it. This happens on many items throughout the game.

There are several times when one object in on the list of items to find and there are two of them in the picture. For example, a knife is on the list in Carlo Siro’s room and in the scene there are two knives. Of course the first one you see isn’t the one the game wants but you click all over it anyway. You already know some of the items are hard to pick up so you think that is the problem. Then you look around some more and find another knife that is almost identical to the knife you first saw. This is the one the game wants.

Things like this are frustrating for players and take a game down from a great game to only a good game. Didn’t your quality control testers bring up these issues?

We are hungry for good games. This one is good but it could have been better.

Thanian
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Thanian on Mar 2, 09 2:54 PM
I didn't really have any of those issues. One issue I had was on my laptop, I had to double click on an item I know I clicked on correctly the first time, just for it to register. On my desktop, it was fine and had no problems.

I also didn't have any problems with the dark scene on my laptop or desktop and found all the keys and grapes that everyone was having a hard time with. I am 30 years old and my desktop is a dell LCD my laptop is an HPdv4. I think I have pretty good eye sight. Not sure if it's 20/20 because some words from far away that I think I can read seem a little it more blurry then when I was younger...

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Mar 2, 09 3:36 PM
LizzieK wrote:In addition to the items being tiny some of the scenes are way TOO DARK. I can understand have a dark scene where you can use the flashlight. I don’t think anybody likes those scenes because they are so tedious. I understand throwing one of those in for variety and a challenge. But the other DARK scenes are unnecessary and unpleasant to play. I know the developers want to make the game challenging but why make it unpleasant? HOG players like to use skill when finding items. We don’t like to just blindly click around on a dark screen.

There are two other things that I noticed that seem to be just poor quality control in the game programming and design. Some of the items are very hard to pick up. The click recognition field is not as big as the item. There is a tiny match in a plastic bin with poker chips and you can’t click just anywhere on the match to pick it up; you have to click on the very bottom edge. The match is small enough so why make it harder to recognize.

There is also the letter T on a clock face in another scene. The same thing happens. In the first place the item is extremely small and very difficult to tell that is actually a letter T. So when you click on it and get no response you move on and look elsewhere. Then finally by using a hint you are brought back to the same place. After clicking on each tiny pixel the game finally recognizes it. This happens on many items throughout the game.

There are several times when one object in on the list of items to find and there are two of them in the picture. For example, a knife is on the list in Carlo Siro’s room and in the scene there are two knives. Of course the first one you see isn’t the one the game wants but you click all over it anyway. You already know some of the items are hard to pick up so you think that is the problem. Then you look around some more and find another knife that is almost identical to the knife you first saw. This is the one the game wants.

Things like this are frustrating for players and take a game down from a great game to only a good game. Didn’t your quality control testers bring up these issues?

We are hungry for good games. This one is good but it could have been better.

luvs4cats
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by luvs4cats on Mar 2, 09 3:38 PM
No really but I seem to have hit a glitch in Vienna. The glitch is the pair of shoes, also in the Vienna chapter. I clicked on them and they vanished, but they were still listed on my clues to find list. Since I am out of clues, I have clicked on every item in this scene and nothring works. I know this will come back to haunt me when I want to move forward to the next chapter.

I also have to say my eyes are falling out. I cannot find the nail, which is the last clue I need to find to operate the hurdygurdy outside the music store. The second item is the push pin in the Prater scene. Same situation. No clues left and I have clicked on everything imagineable to no avail.

Not sure I can start this game over if the shoe problem can't be solved and turns this game into a dead end.

Edited on 03/02/2009 at 3:39:19 PM PST

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Mar 2, 09 3:43 PM
LizzeK you could not have said it better,You have a good way with words I am more a figure person. I agree that Yes it is a good game but could be better, no one need brains to find HO in dark rooms just hope for the best, The puzzles are good and I would have continued but looking at the walkthrough too many dark rooms I would just get too frustrated and that spoils the enjoyment and that it is realy what it is all about ENTERTAINMENT. at least that is why I download games, I have enough stress running my accounting business. and there is enough "Little dark areas in that beleive me" Good Game could be Great but I do not think on par with RTR.

Regards
lineck

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Mar 2, 09 3:49 PM
luvs4cats wrote:No really but I seem to have hit a glitch in Vienna. The glitch is the pair of shoes, also in the Vienna chapter. I clicked on them and they vanished, but they were still listed on my clues to find list. Since I am out of clues, I have clicked on every item in this scene and nothring works. I know this will come back to haunt me when I want to move forward to the next chapter.

I also have to say my eyes are falling out. I cannot find the nail, which is the last clue I need to find to operate the hurdygurdy outside the music store. The second item is the push pin in the Prater scene. Same situation. No clues left and I have clicked on everything imagineable to no avail.

Not sure I can start this game over if the shoe problem can't be solved and turns this game into a dead end.

You don't need a nail to operate the music machine, you need a crank, which you find at the Prater.

If you start again, you may not have to find the shoes again. I've played 3 times and I never had to find them.

suzangh
Shark
Shark
10,217 Posts

[Post New]by suzangh on Mar 2, 09 3:55 PM
lilhexy wrote: I saw someone say they finished Inspector Parker three times..which game is that? Have a great day all and good luck with the games!
Tami
lilhexy

Inspector Parker is a really fun logic game. It's difficult but not impossible. It has three levels of difficulty. Basically, easy medium and hard. You can play each of these ways timed or untimed, so HIGH replay value IMO.

I can't really describe it in just a few words so just go to this page and try the demo.
http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/128/inspectorparker/index.html?src=frmtrygame

Edited on 03/02/2009 at 3:55:32 PM PST

ADTech
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by ADTech on Mar 2, 09 4:30 PM
I think this is a good game that has some minor flaws. It seems like some people will complain about anything. I guess it is like that old saying, " you can please some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time but never all of the people all of the time. I do respect reading other opinions on games and believe everybody has the right to do this. So keep them coming as I and others enjoy reading them. Please no more nastygrams on my typing skills, I already know that keyboards and I do not get along.

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Mar 2, 09 4:35 PM
suzangh, I downloaded Inspector Parker and I couldn't figure out what to do, even though I went through the tutorial. There are just some things that don't click in my brain!

Go to: