bfgBiwa
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Detective Agency 3: Ghost Painting

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 3, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Detective Agency 3: Ghost Painting? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Detective Agency 3: Ghost Painting page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Detective Agency 3: Ghost Painting

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 3, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,254 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jun 3, 13 1:30 AM
I've never played the other Detective Agency games. I did look at their game pages, but they seemed pretty "old fashioned" in terms of HOGs.

From the demo:

- Graphics are very dated looking. Some scenes have a sort-of-3D-rendered look to them while others don't.

- Hidden object scenes are junkpiles. There's a tiny bit of interactivity that involves pulling back a piece of fabric or turning a page in an open book to get to an object on the list, but some of it is useless (as in, you pull back something and nothing is behind it).

- The story is OK and is nothing new. A painter goes "missing" at a sort of spooky looking mansion and his wife wants you to find him. Blah blah, supernatural events occur.

- Sound is weird. There are no voiceovers. I had to turn the volume in the game way up and the volume on my computer way up just to hear any of the music and sounds.

- Gameplay is kind of clunky and also feels dated. I really don't like how they did the dialogue in the game. It's in a huge box off to the left-hand side. It just adds to the "this game seems old" feeling. There's an easy mode and hard mode, and the hard mode supposedly has more difficult puzzles. The ones I encountered weren't very hard, though.

- The game doesn't run well for me, which is odd, because it's not even graphically intense or anything. My computer can handle all sorts of games just fine, but this one freezes every now and then for just one second, but I can see/feel it when my mouse gets stuck.

All in all, I'll pass. It looked mildly interesting from the screenshots, but I didn't enjoy it while playing and the random freezing/pausing became irritating after a while.

Edited on 06/03/2013 at 1:31:24 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,755 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 3, 13 1:49 AM
Sorry, this one is not anywhere near the current standards for the games of today. No widescreen, extremely dated looking graphics (dark and blurry ---- much too hard to see), terrible translation to English, jerky mechanics, big time junk pile HOS, sound cuts out for long periods, ---- all the stuff we saw in 2009 or so.
So the bottom line is ---- is it fun to play? And the answer is a resounding NO. To be honest, I'm very surprised to see a game of such low quality at BF.
Uninstalling, and I'm sure I'll forget all about it very quickly.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jun 3, 13 2:10 AM
Played 20 minutes, easy, and had to exit before I turned blind due to the darkness of the game and the recurrent flashes of lightening !

- 2 modes, easy, difficult

- No voice overs

- A lot of written dialogue between the characters

- Note book

- H0, you interact but the names of objects in the list don't have a different color. Extremely dark, killing your eyes, never used that many hints in a single H0, you just can't see things

- Mini game, only came across one, not over difficult

- Graphics might be good if you could see them

This game nearly ruined my eyesight so this disappearing painter and the haunted house can remain where they are but definitely not in my GM....

No way to adjust the darkness in the options.....

Edited on 06/03/2013 at 2:12:29 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
8,112 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 3, 13 2:46 AM
This game is by gfi, whose games I have never liked. However, I gave this one a go, just to see if they have improved on their gameplay, but alas... it is not so.

The graphics are not bad. However, there is barely any sound (no voices), there is only the custom cursor, there is no widescreen for me, and worst of all, the translation leaves a lot to be desired.

I played the demo in Easy mode (there are 2 gameplay modes), and got sparklies galore. The Hint button recharged super fast, which was the best thing about the game, and the Skip button for the puzzles also fills quite fast.

I am sure there are some gamers who will enjoy playing this game, but it's not for me.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jun 3, 13 3:56 AM
I seem to be swimming against the tide here but I actually really like it! ...I am enjoying the storyline and I don't mind "dated" games once in a while...Yes, the graphics are a bit dark but it fits the story, imo, I don't have any sound issues at all, I can hear the music and sounds of the game quite fine (which is quite spooky)...so, good job, developers! It's a buy for me, especially with a coupon

xapa
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by xapa on Jun 3, 13 5:06 AM
Pickless 77 You just said it all

my opinion too

userfree
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by userfree on Jun 3, 13 6:42 AM
I too agree with Pickles; not a bad game, I've played worse and would be entertaining on a rainy day in NYC; give it a try for yourself

Oldgamer99
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by Oldgamer99 on Jun 3, 13 7:25 AM
The game did fill my screen, although on the dark side. I had to turn up the sound all the way just to hear it. Very little QA here on English translation. I was quite puzzled when prompted to "mane the break" until I realized they must mean 'mend'. The kicker for me was the fact that the help option seemed to quit functioning. It would drain, refill, but not point out anything or any direction. Items appear quite small, even in closeups. It's a no for me. Didn't even bother to finish the demo.

[Post New]by sagelake on Jun 3, 13 8:28 AM
I am bad for reading the reviews, but rarely leaving one. This game, as well as several of the last offerings, pushed my button.
Oldgamer99, you figured out something I didn't - "mane the break", even though I "maned" it. Until you said it was mend I was still lost. It seemed to make no difference.
Perhaps it's just me, but seems you would need to be a mind-reader to figure what they want you to use from your inventory. For example, they say you need a fishing rod, you get that then attempt to use it, but noooo...that's a "bad idea" according to them. I gave it 37 minutes, but had to uninstall. Sad really, as it had potential.
Hope others will find it enjoyable, but I found it to be frustrating.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
682 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 3, 13 9:40 AM
Many Debbie Downers on this offering. However, believe it or not, I find some good elements in this game. Yes, it is ancient technology in the fast paced technology in the world of games. There is no voice, there are many HOG scenes and the "muzac" is annoying. The graphics are fuzzy at best. It is reminiscent of games from five years ago. And of course, these devs need to get someone to translate English for them. However, at least this game has a good storyline, which to me is essential in playing a game. I would rather play this game than some we have had this weekend from our "major" devs. At least I don't feel like I am 5 years old stuck in a menagerie of "cutesy" animals. Nor am I getting nauseated by all the fairy tale atmospheres. Just like beverages, there are those for adults and those for children and we don't like to get them mixed up. And, it is far better to play this or any game in comparison to the horrible zombie movie I just saw starring an over-the-hill actor. Smells like a stink bomb to me! Actually this weekend's experiences have left me flat.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 3, 13 10:08 AM
I've played worse games. I think I will set this one on the shelf for the next time I am in danger of losing a free game coupon. I've lost too many of those already, I agree that it is old technology, but then again so am I. I go back to Fortran and Cobal

xapa
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by xapa on Jun 3, 13 10:16 AM
sagelake wrote:I am bad for reading the reviews, but rarely leaving one. This game, as well as several of the last offerings, pushed my button.
Oldgamer99, you figured out something I didn't - "mane the break", even though I "maned" it. Until you said it was mend I was still lost. It seemed to make no difference.
Perhaps it's just me, but seems you would need to be a mind-reader to figure what they want you to use from your inventory. For example, they say you need a fishing rod, you get that then attempt to use it, but noooo...that's a "bad idea" according to them. I gave it 37 minutes, but had to uninstall. Sad really, as it had potential.
Hope others will find it enjoyable, but I found it to be frustrating.

I tried to use fishing rod too with no luck, but then I thought on real life, and you cannot catch a fish with just a rod, you need a couple of things more.

It is not so bad a game.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
373 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jun 3, 13 10:58 AM
I am one of those fishes who like sound with their games, and by that, I don't mean music. This one had no sound to speak up, or sound effects, I should say. Plus, I had to turn the sound way up just to hear the music; the sound effects, if any, were drown out by the repetitive muisic

All in all, a major backslide from the type of game we have come to expect from BF. Not of interest for me at all. Even though I have several PCC's, I won't waste it on this sort.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Jun 3, 13 11:04 AM
Yes, the game is in many ways a throwback (and not in a good sense): the dark screens are especially difficult for "older eyes." But, for me, the game play was interesting -- not the easy, handholding we get soooo much of these days. I found the play complex and challenging even on the easier level. For me, it's a buy.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 3, 13 12:33 PM
What music, drives you insane.. Don't like the game, it's something from a few years back. Only played for 10 min but that was enough for me.

b4nu
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by b4nu on Jun 3, 13 12:43 PM
This game is getting a bad rap. I'm enjoying it and I've played way worse. I suggest you try it for yourself, before you pass based on the negative reviews.

NancySusan
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jun 3, 13 2:15 PM
Having read the other reviews, I went against my usual rule and decided to d/l and see how good or bad this game really was, and once I started, I found myself taking notes, as for a beta, so ended up playing 36 mins. before giving up on it entirely. First, I think this might (and I underline might) be a fun game for a relatively new player, but given all the problems, certainly not for me or most experienced players. At least I would think not. When it first opened, it filled only the left side of my 23" widescreen, leaving several inches of black on the right,but I noticed I could take the cursor into the black area. Once the game actually started it appeared to fill my widescreen, but was clearly stretched to do so (Mrs. Walsingham looked like an elephant -- very wide, poor thing). The sound was really poor as everyone else has said: I also turned the music and sound all the way up on the game, and also up on my speakers, and even then it wasn't that loud. I heard only one vocal sound effect -- when the boy ghost first showed up. I played the game on "difficult," and the hint refilled fairly quickly -- I kept meaning to time it, but got distracted. Cutscenes also had the several inches of black border on the right (or black with a whitish kind of narrow border in there somewhere), which went away when I went back to the full scene. There were two bright red, sort of vibrating arrows outside the house, pointing left and right showing where you could go, which were just there and totally unnecessary. When I traveled, instead of showing the new scene filling the screen, at first it showed two scenes, with the new scene mostly filling the screen and over in the same several inch area on the right, the prior picture which then resolved into the new scene. Just really strange. Spelling and sometimes English were not very good and definitely weren't edited: Cornwal (Cornwall); "It seems now I know where to." "First I should mane a hole." Frequently you couldn't zoom in on something, so you're looking at scenes and doors from a distance. I figured out right away that we were returning to the HOS's later, because several times I clicked on something, but then couldn't do anything with what I had clicked on; after returning to a HOS later looking for different objects, now I could click on the object. In all, a game that felt old. I didn't mind the darkness that much, but just too many distracting problems with the game.

saadia60
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by saadia60 on Jun 3, 13 2:41 PM
Not a buy for me. Wouldn't fit my screen.

Go to: