bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Farm for your Life

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 4, 13 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Farm for your Life? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Farm for your Life page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Farm for your Life

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 4, 13 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on Jun 4, 13 5:40 AM
I played 30 minutes of this game, which was all I could stand. Generally I LOVE farming type games, but this worked so clunky, was hard to move around on the screen, goals sometimes were very vague, Then one of people was stuck on a message, which I had completed, and it would not go away.
You cannot move the screen unless you get the little person right at the edge, then sometimes they kind of disappear before the screen moves.
This game needs a lot of work before I would every consider it.

trifle
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by trifle on Jun 4, 13 7:13 AM
I really love farming games but this one just doesn't cut it for me. Moving around is a nightmare and it all seems so much harder than it should. Everything was a chore and the people were huge compared to the rest of the things.
The scale was very off and while I appreciate that scale is always off on games this was just too weird.
The movements were "clunky" as others have mentioned.
The goals were never quite clear.
The items were not quite clear in their purpose either.
Having bought the gate it never felt like a gate or acted like a gate so I bought 2 more thinking maybe they were more fence like. The positioning of items was very weird as well.
I managed to play 40 minutes and then just thought, 'Why am I playing a game that I dislike and am never going to buy?"
So this is a no go for me.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jun 4, 13 7:39 AM
I didn't even last five minutes. Way too clunky.

suelyn
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by suelyn on Jun 4, 13 1:02 PM
The movement and interface were a pain (particularly trying to outmanevour the zombies), but after playing awhile I found it strangely addicting. The crates and gates were non-obviously multiple buys, where other items in the same screen were a single upgrade buy which was non-intuitive. Useful tip - you can go into the forest and collect rocks/woods which regenerates each time you go back, it also doesn't seem to use any time in the main game area.

[Post New]by xander32839 on Jun 4, 13 1:45 PM
With all the negative reviews, I feel like I need to add my two cents. I have not had the movement issues, freezing, or other problems that other fishies have experienced. Yes, the graphics are very old-school and the scale of items is extremely out of proportion. Movement is clunky compared to other games, And the instructions are limited. The music is horrible, but I usually turn it all the way down anyway.

However...this was a buy for me. I actually prefer a game that allows me to experiment and figure things out on my own. Too many developers feel they have to hold our hands throughout the entire game. People complain if the tutorial is too long and intrusive. They complain if the tutorial doesn't exist. You can't please everyone. Farm for your Life works for me. If you can't figure things out on your own, you won't survive the zombie apocalypse.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the gates that others have reported - mine worked perfectly. I added it as a portion of the fence and it opens automatically when you walk through it. Use your axe to chop tree stumps, pick up the log, then right-click to drop the log at the end of your fence. You can pick them up again to move them - but be careful that you are not holding your axe or you will destroy that log.

The screen moves when you move your cursor to the edge, then you click where you want your character to go. I haven't had a character disappear, but when they talk to other characters there is an odd glitch with the graphics that causes the character under the mouse to turn blue. Not really a big issue for me. Also, you can hover over your large character to click on an item beneath him, so the scale does not interfere with gameplay.

The game itself consists of: farming your crops (plant, water, harvest), using those crops to cook meals for other survivors (they pay in trade), buying new seeds and recipes with your earnings, upgrading your equipment, exploring the area (some sections are blocked until you build a bridge, etc), and fighting off the zombies at night. So far, I have not encountered more than a couple at a time.

Thus far, I have enjoyed playing Farm for your Life. If you enjoy games like the two Island Castaways or Wandering Willows, then give this one a trial.

[Post New]by trinadoo on Jun 5, 13 2:21 PM
Ok so here goes, although I am having the issue with the golden scythe not working.
I love this game , it has all my favorites wrapped in one , I love cooking games , I love farming games and I love plants vs zombies . and I love games that I can run around and explore , well this is all of them, and it is a nice break from all the hide n seek games that are always offered here way to often , I said before that I wouldn't recommed this to my friends because I was frustrated , but I take that back because I really do love this game, and I am very excited to finish my game when all the bugs get fixed and I hope to see more like this one

Edited on 06/05/2013 at 2:22:19 PM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jun 5, 13 11:07 PM
No matter how cute the characters are, its still a very awful game. Graphics is so lousy that the colors blend together and form shadows and the program actually tries hard to auto correct by asking whether I would like to take out the shadows??

U cant access ur inventory from the control panel, must click on the inventory box, OMG, what a horrible game. I dont even know how the heck ppl gave this 3 stars??? Sometimes there are just not much help available and u had to trial and error to find out what is needed. Instead of a shop u had a merchant standing in the road side and u can exchange $ or goods to buy stuff from him eg corn seeds, potatoe seeds etc

OH! I am getting a headache just looking at the graphics!!!!

shepherdmoon
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by shepherdmoon on Jun 8, 13 7:11 PM
This game is so unique--completely different from anything else among a huge collection of copy-cats available on Big Fish. I've played half the demo, and although I found the game-play enjoyable I stopped there to check other people's opinions on the forums, and found complaints about bugs that made the game unfinishable. I've been keeping an eye on that and have been extremely impressed by the developer's personal responses to player posts here, and the very quick (only a few day) turn-around for an official patch. This is sooooo refreshing after dealing with unresponsive game developers and distributers that seem to care more about collecting cash than making sure their product is the highest quality possible. The obvious love that the game developer has put into the game is reason enough for me to buy it, but it's an added bonus that I enjoyed playing it. I'll only have to wait until double points Monday, but it will be mine soon enough...

Thank you, Oliver_FFYL, for your dedication to this, and keep it up--I look forward to seeing more from you!

julesyhedgehog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by julesyhedgehog on Jun 22, 13 5:47 AM
I played for 2 minutes then quit, I'm not kidding. The first level was just watering, watering, watering and I kept waiting for something else to happen but it never did. Not a good farming/time management game at all.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 26, 13 9:05 PM
let me just say one thing: CONTROLS

i managed to last about thirty minutes but it was really hard to not just get up and walk away! pick a thing up this way, use it that way, set it down somewhere else another way... and moving around the scene? impossible!

when it starts out, you only have this tiny space to deal with... you talk to a lady about buying her cow, water your plants, harvest and then voila! the cow is yours and everything is groovy, right? except all this is really more or less a tutorial for the farming aspect of the game... in the morning...

it's ALL gone! so then you learn to talk to more people and get new tools and learn how to use them and when you think you're on your way to better days...

ZOMBIES come! and they take away your old man without so much as a yellow taxi or by the way...

now all of this is going on in a LOT more space than that tiny plot you started out with so you would think there would be an easy way to move the screen around or zoom in or out, or maybe you could move your character to a spot and it would pan for you... NOPE! doesn't happen!

and cooking the corn didn't do me any good, either, because i couldn't figure out what i was supposed to do with it besides put it on the ground - it won't go into inventory and it won't go on the table and you need more than one, right?

anyway... i guess you can see where this going... a definite NO BUY for me

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Aug 23, 13 11:55 AM
First of all, I'd like to thank the fishies who posted helpful comments about the game. I wasn't too sure about the cooking mini-game when I played the demo, but I went back for another try. It's similar to a game called Fruit Ninja in which you have to click/slice fruit and vegetables while they're flying across the screen. You've got to have quick reflexes to play it, but there's a skip button you can click and still "learn" your recipes. I appreciate the developer for making that an option. I just clicked on the stove, selected the recipe, clicked skip, and that was it. You only have to play that game once for each recipe, or you can play it as many times as you want to try and beat your time.

I bought the game yesterday and I've been pretty much glued to my laptop since. It's just so relaxing and fun. I love farming and gardening simulators, but this game offers so much more than that. You run your own little restaurant next to your house and garden. The customers come and go even if you aren't always there to serve them promptly. You're not penalized for losing customers, which is good because there are so many other things to do. If you build tents, you can have up to 3 workers to help in the restaurant and on the farm while you cut wood and gather stones in the forest. You take the food orders at the door. Your helper cooks and serves the customers, or if you want to, you can take orders and cook the meals while tending your garden. Once you have the tents for the workers, they wait outside them until you bring them a simple meal each day. You will have to work at night as they'll head back to their tents before dark. Sometimes I do everything on my own and I don't feel overwhelmed.

There's no timer. I'm playing "peaceful mode". You can choose NOT to be attacked by the zombies at night. So far, I've seen one or two per night on average. They're very slow so you won't have to worry about rapid clicking in this game. The only time you need to be quick is when you're in the woods. You won't die, but you drop the majority of the resources you're carrying if they attack you. The easiest way to avoid losing everything is to leave the woods. By doing that, you'll automatically add the wood and stones to your main inventory. You start out with just your tools when you enter the woods and you never drop those.

I'm really happy with the game and I recommend you try the demo. It doesn't take long to get used to the controls.

[Post New]by sixthfore on Jun 30, 14 1:52 AM
I love the combination in the game so far.

Farming with crops AND animals
Challenging resource management
Veggie ninja (was only clicking on them for a long time though before I figured it out)
Tower defence (which I haven't tried yet)
Bartering
Cooking / recipes
Automated help
Some exploration and resource gathering

Great beginning tutorial that blends into the storyline
Decent tools hotkeys (though I've accidentally dug up crops a lot)

---

What I don't like about the game is the literal bottleneck I've come across. Gathering the herb from the graveyard. There's a bottleneck in the forest where zombies all like to hang out. It takes forever for zombies to amble towards you / to kite them anywhere, and they come from both directions, pinning you in the middle. Running through them just makes them stop following you.

I've stopped here and don't really care to progress due to this (unfortunate since I really loved the game up to this point). It just seems tedious and unnecessary.

---

All in all, thanks for this delightfully innovative fusion, producers and developers. There has been very very few bugs. The one that stood out most was feeding helpers in the morning. After giving them platefuls of the food they requested, they just stood there after consuming the food. A save reload fixed the issue though.

Go to: