bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Off the Record: Linden Shades Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 8, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Off the Record: Linden Shades Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Off the Record: Linden Shades Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Off the Record: Linden Shades Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 8, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

oasis53
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by oasis53 on Jun 8, 13 1:38 AM
OK guys..who decided this was a CE game??? LOLOLOL..what a joke

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 8, 13 2:31 AM
This is a well made, well constructed game. It has an interesting story, lots of tasks, good use of inventory items. The puzzles so far are not too difficult, but they are a bit different in presentation. And, if you love HOs, you are in for a treat.

Before you think I'm about to say Ugh! and walk away, I must excuse the game for so many HOs. They are really made for you to find the objects fairly easily. A lot of the achievements center around them -- find 10 items in 10 seconds, finish 3 HO scenes in under 3 minutes, etc. So, they are less painful to get through. Of course I tend to try for the achievements -- use no hints is also one. The HOs are interactive.

There are 3 modes of play. The first has fast hint/skip reload, sparkles for everything, and active tasks and objectives on the map. The second has slower reload, fewer sparkles, no active task indicators. The third has long reload time, no sparkles at all, and I assume not much help on the map. I chose that mode -- one of the achievements is not opening the map the entire game. Yes, you can switch between modes. Whew!

There are at least 2 kinds of collectibles. There is a diary which has evidence, objectives and notes.

I might best describe the artwork as interesting. Some scenes are photo realistic, some are painterly. It is all rather striking. There are live actors in some cut scenes, otherwise there are voice overs. Widescreen as well. Music fits the atmosphere.

The story -- your news editor sends you off to Linden Shades to look around a now long ago abandoned orphanage rumored to be haunted. The editor had once investigated the story but never had a chance to bring it to any conclusion. Off you go. It doesn't take long for you to realize the boogeyman in question might still be hanging around out there.

Sorry, but I can't tell you how many chapters, or what all the extras are. There were many, including a bonus chapter. Even though I have tired of HOs, I found myself playing. When my demo ended, I was in the midst of getting that 10 in 10 achievement! I was surprised the hour was up (on a Mac, we get the full game and an hour play to wherever in the game you might be), but I can't go back for the CE details I missed. There is an achievement for finishing in under 5 hours -- could be a long game. TBC…

Edited on 06/08/2013 at 2:46:36 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 8, 13 2:32 AM
continued… There is really no brain drain, even in hardest mode. The objectives are shown on screen, as well as in the diary. Black bar info is not as blatantly in your face as in some games, but it does offer guidance.

Still, the whole package -- presentation and game play -- feels rather fresh, and may be worth playing for entertainment value alone.

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Jun 8, 13 2:49 AM

Edited on 06/09/2013 at 3:18:07 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 8, 13 2:50 AM
Not Just Another Ghost Story

BASED ON DEMO

This game already has me won over. The STORY is a spooky GHOST story, set in the BROAD DAYLIGHT of a sunny day in the country. While the ATMOSPHERE suffers a little from this departure from cliché, I think it’s worth it just for the variety. And it is a creepy story. BLOOD RED GHOSTS began to appear to the children of an orphanage. The principal believes they are real, but no one else does. The orphanage is closed anyway and you in your role as a REPORTER with OFF THE RECORD are investigating this decades-old case.

This is a HO GAME, there are oodles of them everywhere – which is just fine by me! The ADVENTURE component is limited and very simple. Each INVENTORY item is quickly used in an obvious place. There are also very few PUZZLES, and so far they are not difficult.

The HOS are the INTERACTIVE LIST TYPE, with some objects requiring further action. Some require the solving of a VERY SIMPLE little puzzle – for example, placing different shaped stones back into a necklace where the background cloth indicates the shape. There are also some MULTIPLES OF items in each HOS, for instance, spur x 5 and apple x4. If you are too slow on finding an item, one will start to glow.

HINT points to the area you need to be DIRECTLY, showing a photo you can JUMP into. So does the INTERACTIVE MAP which shows you active objectives, places with things to be done, and your location.

The GRAPHICS are CLEAR, PLEASANT & BRIGHT. No problem with dark scenes in the beautiful daylight. They are not, perhaps, spectacular, but they are CE standard. The MUSIC became a bit annoying to me, too many repetitions already. AMBIENT sounds are great. VOICEOVERS were also EXCELLENT.

Now for the BELLS & WHISTLES. *deep breath*

We have COLLECTIBLES – 37 crayons, 12 letters (of the alphabet), 16 toys, and we must also find tapes with the backstory.
ACHIEVEMENTS – 20, including ones related to the collectibles.
GALLERY with ART, CONCEPT ART, REPLAYABLE CUT SCENES, MUSIC, MAKING OF.
REPLAYABLE HOS & PUZZLES.
BONUS GAME WITH NEW HOS
STRATEGY GUIDE – which at first I couldn’t find, it’s in the diary I never even thought to open!

I’m keen to buy this one, it fits me to a tee – good story, nice graphics, different idea (daylight) and the gameplay is HOS heavy.

But that is not going to be the case for most HOPA fans. I think even in the ‘INSANE' mode the EXPERTS will find this too EASY.

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Jun 8, 13 4:47 AM
After playing the demo when it ended, I was disappointed that it was over so soon, The demo I mean. I did not like it too much at first but then the story had me going.
Graphics could be smoother and yes, there are a lot of HOS, but they are fairly easy and interactive.There is something about this game that I like so far. It also has a lot of collectables and with the weekend sale I will buy it.
After playing a while it just pulled me in. Not bad at all

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 8, 13 6:06 AM
Morning, afternoon, and evening, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes: Regular, Expert, Insane...

There is a choice of a large custom cursor and a tiny custom cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

Your Diary in the shape of a typewriter is at the left. Inside you will also find Objectives and Evidence, as well as the Strategy Guide.

From time to time you will find tapes, which will also go into the Diary. You can listen to them to hear the story of "Linden Shades".

The Hint button in the shape of an ink well is at the right. It only takes about 20 seconds to refill in Regular mode.

Also at the right is your Map. It shows you where you are, active objectives, and where there is something to do.

The Inventory can be locked to stay open, or unlocked to move below until needed.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive, with a little more to do than just opening a box to find something.

Puzzles can be skipped. The Skip button takes about 30 seconds to fill in Regular mode.

There are Achievements.

There are objects to be found. So far I have come across letters and toys (perhaps there are more things to be found later on?).

--- --- ---

The graphics are OK, and gameplay is pretty much routine. The HOS are frequent, and on the whole objects are shown clearly and are easy to find.

I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement when I played the demo, so I will wait for the SE. For those gamers who love this game enough to buy the CE... happy gaming!

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by joyzebra on Jun 8, 13 6:41 AM

Edited on 06/09/2013 at 3:23:20 AM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jun 8, 13 7:26 AM
I have a horrible feeling that the wallpapers, which are locked in the demo, will not be available until after the game is completed. So outdated! I never used to care about the wallpapers but since then I have discovered I enjoy putting up the wallpapers while playing the game. Like a lot of fishies, if you pay for it you should be able to use it right away. The only exception that is acceptable are the bonus games and extra puzzles/HO games. I can understand why they are locked until you complete the game.

With that said I am purchasing the game because of the sale. The price is only $2 more than it would be if it was a SE plus you get the SG and extra punch. Seems like a good deal to me. I understand if a fishie can't take advantage of a sale due to funds (sometimes I can't either).

It isn't quite as linear as I first thought it would be and for some reason I did enjoy the presentation of it. However I am tired of flashing cutscenes (or whatever you call them) at the very start of opening the game (before you even get to the main main). It is annoying and plays havoc with my eyes. There is no rhyme or reason to them and you can't really see anything. Please devs cut that out!

tacgof
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by tacgof on Jun 8, 13 8:03 AM

Edited on 06/09/2013 at 3:31:17 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 8, 13 8:51 AM
Wow! What a bizarre game. We start out with an orphanage where some freak in a red hood (ala Little Red Riding Hood) kidnaps orphans. Then, we open the gate to the orphanage and end up on some Kansas farm (guess tornados work both ways?). We enter the front door of the farm house and enter what looks like an inner city ghetto. Go figure.

Anyway, I was completely underwhelmed by this game. Definitely nothing noteworthy to be considered a CE. The graphics are very simplistic. The scenes are dark and as I have stated previously, they look like scenes from some ghetto. There are a ton of HOG scenes in this game. To me, HOG scenes are just filler so the game seems longer. So, to me, all the HOG scenes made the game boring. The "muzac" is horrible. It asks you to play with sound, but the soundtrack is irritating. To me, it just lacks the quality of the other CE's. (And at this time, please let apologize to the other devs who I have crucified in my reviews This game makes some of their games look like prize winning entries). There is a sale today on CE's so it is only a few dollars more than an SE. Even with the great deal today, I will not purchase this game. To me, nothing redeeming for me. Basically this is a long mediocre (to be kind) SE. I like yesterday's snake fest better than this.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 8, 13 9:26 AM
we really would give this one a 2 out of 5 . its agood game to play on vacation..............doug & lisa.......................

Edited on 07/24/2013 at 11:28:20 AM PST

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by joyzebra on Jun 8, 13 10:15 AM

Edited on 06/09/2013 at 3:38:36 AM PST

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jun 8, 13 10:22 AM
Bought....finished ....liked it a lot.

Yes, it's a bit on the easy side but once in a while you need one of those, too.

The only thing I was a bit disappointed with.....the bonus game was pretty short!!!!

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jun 8, 13 10:25 AM
Well, I wasn't sure what to expect after reading all these reviews. But actually, I like the game, though I wasn't sure at first. The grapics didn't look that good and the HO scenes were like drawings, not much moved and yet there was still items that need to be added to or completed. Interesting though.

Also, I didn't find the HO scenes too easy or the puzzles on the light side, and I played in easy mode as well. Shorenuf might have no brain drain, even in the hardest mode, but I am here on easy and I would never try the Insane mode. I am not nearly as quick as a lot of you so this game seemed perfect for me after I got into it. I though it improved the more I played it and the trial just flew by.

So my opinion is it's a good game. Nice story,not bad graphics, pretty decent music and good hidden object scenes and puzzles. Perhaps not worthy of a CE (I'm still on the fence about that) but certainly an SE. Depends, I guess on how eager I am to play the game. It's different and that makes it worthy of a good deal. This weekend could mean the difference to buy ot not with the sale on CE's.

Have a good weekend!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 8, 13 11:43 AM
I liked the game, puzzles were a bit easy but don't have to use hints to solve them. HOG's were ok too. It has a map and you can click and will go there and has things you need to do marked on map. Has objectives and tapes you find to tell you the story. Characters are ok and has hidden objects to find. Most of the games now are CE's so don't know what all the fuss is about? Give this 3 out of 5 stars..

grama4jr
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by grama4jr on Jun 8, 13 11:55 AM
I just finished the demo and its a BUY for me, really different, like someone said , its fresh and different. Love the casette tapes that tell the story, cant wait to finish the game (after I finish all the others that I have bought at various sales) Thank you BFG, have gotten some great deals in the last few months!!
Its a 8 out of 10 for me!

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jun 8, 13 12:04 PM
Alrighty -- played the whole demo with a break in the middle for life. I'm not a fan of lots of HOS's (or HOP's as this and several other dev. seem to want us to call them). The HOS's were pretty easy -- I think I used the hint button once, and I often use one hint per HOS, because I get impatient. I liked the collectibles -- nice to see they were there, and, as has been noted, were 3 different kinds: toys, letters and crayons. I like a lot more adventure and a lot fewer HOS's, but the game is okay -- I can see why some people will enjoy it. Just not for me, although I may check it out as an SE. I would add that if I never see another game with a hooded figure, I will be one happy person. Come on devs. -- who decided that hooded figures were even interesting, let alone some kind of necessity for a game?

Go to: