Reviews for Viking Saga

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Viking Saga

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 10, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Viking Saga? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Viking Saga page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Viking Saga

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 10, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Koffie99
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Koffie99 on Jun 10, 13 4:10 AM
I'm a fan of TM games. This game, however, is very slow. Nice graphics. But the comments triggered by actions I find irritating. No buy for me.

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on Jun 10, 13 4:48 AM
Not sure what Koffie means by slow, but I LOVE THE GAME !!!!

It has 3 play modes, easy (no timer), normal (with timer) and hard (with timer). The graphics are super. You go on a trip to different lands, gather resources, build and complete quests, some which are feed sick bears, one I just finished, upgrade buildings to different levels. It gives you bonus things such as boots to make the guys move faster, extra worker, stop timer, etc.
You do need to strategize as it takes a certain amount of silver to buy at the food house, buy wood, etc, you can gather food through a fisherman and bush for free, but takes time to regenerate, also can cut down trees for wood.
I am a die hard TM/Strategy game girl, and this fits the bill perfectly!

IS A DEFINITE BUY FOR ME!!!

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jun 10, 13 5:02 AM
Good morning everyone Looks like we have some more Viking friends that are in trouble and need some help taking care of business and I'm game and up for the task I've already packed my lunch, grabbed my hard hat, pulled my hammer out and I've hit the old dusky musky and I'm on my way ! Viking Saga is brought to us by the same great developer of ROR, Northern Tales, and Adelantado. The graphics are really nice as always with this developer the game itself is great quality as always with this developer.

You are the son of a Viking King who has lost his love for drinking and women because of a curse he feels was put on him by a dwarf so he sends his son out to find this dwarf and return the cursed ring and hopefully lift the curse on him. Alas on your journey you will run into many people who will need your help and some that you need to help from but in order for you to do that you have to fulfill some task for them.

This is a builder we are all use to collecting resources, removing debris, building huts, sawmills, and farms. You can chain your task which helps save time and with this one it doesn't seem to be a limit on how many you can chain but I could be wrong. There is a timer but also in the options there is a relaxed mode so for those that don't like the timer can play on relaxed mode for those that play with the timer if you don't make the gold you can go back and replay the level until you do. You also get bonuses for speed, extra helper, time freeze, and replenishing resources they are located at the bottom of the screen and they do come in handy.

I bought the game and I'm really having fun with it the only thing I don't really like is the voice over dude he just sounds like he really hates to be bothered when you click on things not very happy sounding like most are but hey I love builder games and I can overlook this because all in all the fun of the game out weighs the dudes voice. This is another great builder with lots to do and many hours of fun. Give the demo a try it's worth it. Thank you dev's for another great builder and keep them coming because we want them, we play them and we love them and thank you Big Fish for giving me yet another reason not to fulfill my domestic goddess duties today ! Have fun everyone !

Edited on 06/10/2013 at 5:10:09 AM PST

Nagster
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Nagster on Jun 10, 13 5:21 AM
Koffie99 wrote:I'm a fan of TM games. This game, however, is very slow. Nice graphics. But the comments triggered by actions I find irritating. No buy for me.

I found the relentless commentary annoying too. I uninstalled after 5 minutes.

tinyzac
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by tinyzac on Jun 10, 13 7:07 AM
hi fishies but chapter one has me puzzled can anyone help with building the druids hut? the stone pillar says i need to build it first but i only have two buildings available which are ahut and log house am i missing something ? please help oh by the way its chp one level 6 thanks fishies

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Jun 10, 13 7:30 AM
I just finished Northern Tale the other day so I took to this one fairly quickly. It's really similar so if you liked Northern Tale, you'll want to try this one.

It has a more fleshed out story (which I like) and different graphics. The new voice-over is somewhat annoying at first but you get used to it. I preferred the last one in that respect. The music is the same flute but it's more subtle and an improvement.

I'll have to play more to see which one I prefer overall but after a trial it's buy for me.

Content note: The repeated use of the word 'midget' is surprising and kind of jarring. I have to chalk it up to language barrier but some might find it offensive.

Edited on 06/10/2013 at 7:35:05 AM PST

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Jun 10, 13 8:13 AM
I bought it without trial since had already done the beta test several months ago. All I can say is ...Well it's no Adelantado which is my play everyday game when I'm tired of taxing my brain on HOG..LOL but it's a cute game, glad it has a relaxed mode because I'm not punching a timeclock at my age. It seems to be directed more to much younger players so maybe the grandbabies will have fun with it. Haven't tried it with the sound on because I don't want to listen to them so I'm not bothered by their chit chat. Entertaining, pretty graphics and will get further into the story as I've only played a couple of chapters.

jantea331
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by jantea331 on Jun 10, 13 10:02 AM
I am really enjoying this game! I agree about the annoying voice but I just turned the sound off in the game and it's much more enjoyable - I don't even miss the game sounds - chopping, etc. It's definitely a buy for me!

AliKat611
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by AliKat611 on Jun 10, 13 11:28 AM
tinyzac wrote:hi fishies but chapter one has me puzzled can anyone help with building the druids hut? the stone pillar says i need to build it first but i only have two buildings available which are ahut and log house am i missing something ? please help oh by the way its chp one level 6 thanks fishies

tinyzac--it's under a different tab. The first tab is houses, the second is your industrial buildings, but then there's a third tab (has a lightning bolt thing on it if I remember correctly) where you'll find the druid's hut.

pjplanner
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by pjplanner on Jun 10, 13 11:53 AM
tinyzac wrote:hi fishies but chapter one has me puzzled can anyone help with building the druids hut? the stone pillar says i need to build it first but i only have two buildings available which are ahut and log house am i missing something ? please help oh by the way its chp one level 6 thanks fishies

I had the same problem until I noticed the extra tabs on the building options menu. The second tab gives you farm and sawmill and the third the Druid's hut. So continue as if you are going to build a hut but click on the third tab for the option you need.

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by bluesinew on Jun 10, 13 5:11 PM
I played the demo and will buy the game, even though I was a bit confused when I started. The first few missions had you building a saw mill, but the sign said demolish the saw mill, I had to upgrade a hut but all I could do is pick up silver, but once I figured it out, it was similar to a few other Viking games, which I really enjoyed. The graphics are good and I just fast forward through the voice over cut scenes... plus I play with the sound off. Basically, it is a very good TM and worth using a free game voucher.

Eucritta
Minnow
Minnow
204 Posts

[Post New]by Eucritta on Jun 10, 13 6:10 PM
I've been playing 'Viking Saga' off and on most of the day, and it's a fun little game. Play is much like 'Northern Tale' with more plot so, as mentioned upthread, if you're familiar with that one you'll have an advantage with this one - or so I've found.

Three difficulties; Easy is untimed, the other two, Normal and Difficult, are timed. There's plenty to do on each level, and as the game progresses many levels also offer bonus tasks. The story is occasionally funny and mostly wry, with our Questing Heroes encountering plenty of deeply flawed but for the most part ordinary folk - there's a refreshing absence of cackling, domino-cloaked evildoers. The Questing Heroes bounce amusingly, and there's a cute bear-cub in a red cape.

Like most simple strategy games I've played, levels are not saved incrementally, so if you close out half-way through, you lose your progress.

The music is cheerful and repetitive, and yes, there are two or three annoying catch-phrases integrated into the sound effects that can only be turned down or off by turning off effects and ambient sound. I didn't find it a deal-killer, but I do wish the devs had provided more phrases and had them recorded in less emphatic tones.

All in all, I'm finding it a fine distraction on a dreary day.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jun 10, 13 9:48 PM
irritating voice-over, not my type of game

boofycat
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by boofycat on Jun 11, 13 12:18 AM
This is a great TM/strategy game. OK the voices are annoying but can be ignored. I am playing untimed and am just over half way through. It is an interesting enough game to play so can be replayed on various difficulty levels. Much better than some of the TM's that have been on offer lately. It also has some good bonus levels that quite different (won't mention what they're about as I do not know how to hide spoilers)

muttnutt
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by muttnutt on Jun 11, 13 7:38 AM
Love this type of game, cute and relaxing, Yes on "Buy".

nelly153
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by nelly153 on Jun 11, 13 9:30 AM
I am enjoying this game. It took me a few levels to get into the swing of it but now have it sorted. It is fairly challenging on some levels and quite easy on others. It does require some degree of strategy and planning which I enjoy. I like being able to turn off/skip comments and hints and I like being able to click ahead and cancel clicks if I need to. I have managed to get 3 stars on each level so far (level 30 just finished) but needed to replay and rethink a few levels to get there.

However, I have to say I HATE HATE HATE the sheep bonus level. This is tedious and repetitive and having caught 20 of the blighters and earthquake happened and release 2/3 of them.

There was no way I was going to go back and do this again so I have just skipped the bonus level, which I hate to do.

Developers, please either add something interesting to the level or, if you want to add the earthquakes, at least give a few seconds for me to send my workers to fix the pens rather that just letting the sheep (and all my hard work) go!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jun 13, 13 3:57 AM
Was keen to try this game but sorry to say I was disappointed. Didn't realise I'd played it before, so must have tried it from the dev's website and didn't buy it then.

Not a patch on Northern Tale or Viking Brothers (one of my favourites), there is far too much dialogue and the constant comments are just irritating. And I found having to use the tabs to chose buildings interfered with the flow of the game. Graphics were nice though.

I recently bought Rescue Team 3 and it was much more fun. Now I know why I didn't buy this game from the developer. Nowhere near as enjoyable.

onelifesdream
Flounder
Flounder
2,271 Posts

[Post New]by onelifesdream on Jun 13, 13 8:34 AM
I do wish the voices had other things to say once in a while. My biggest pet peeve of this game though, is not the voices, but that the game instantly starts when you go to another level instead of letting you sit there and plan your strategy first like RE, ROR, MKFTP, and most other TM games do. So, I just let the timer keep going while I plan my strategy and then restart the level when I'm ready to play.

Go to: