bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Big City Adventure: Tokyo

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 12, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Big City Adventure: Tokyo ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Big City Adventure: Tokyo page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 06/12/2013 at 12:36:47 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Big City Adventure: Tokyo

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 12, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jun 12, 13 12:47 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, get out your magnifying glasses. Either I'm getting old or too tired. I don't remember needing to use this many hints in the previous Big City games. Perhaps I'll finish the second part of the demo in the morning after some s.

enerald
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by enerald on Jun 12, 13 1:08 AM
Totally agree, Angel; also, no window sizing!!! Other Cons are: v annoying"musack", moving (nausea inducing) images (in, out, up & down) even in the intro!! I do NOT get motion sickness on boats, cars, planes, etc, but this imagery movement is impossible!!!! No buy for me, yet again .... think I've bought 4 games in 12 months so far. Standards are slipping badly, BFG & I've been a member from 2003!!!

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by Masanders on Jun 12, 13 1:15 AM
I thought it was just me. I don't remember the previous games (I have them all) being this hard on the eyes. I probably should have played the demo before I bought it. Anyway, I added it to my collection, but I hope the developers take pity on us old folks and make the next game a little easier to find the objects. I usually try to play the whole game without resorting to hints, but I'm not sure I will be able to do that this time.

I liked the navigation through the game: the post cards with interesting facts about each location (I always read each one), and the games you play that reveal your next location, but the music was rather disappointing. I had thought it would be more "Japanese" instead of the usual jazz.

This game in the series is not as good as some of the earlier games. Too bad, as I have a fondness for Japan, Tokyo in particular.

Edited on 06/12/2013 at 1:21:29 AM PST

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Jun 12, 13 1:53 AM
I'm only 10mins into the demo and I'm squinting maybe time for an eye test and I've still not found one of the 20 round gold things

[Post New]by flammable55 on Jun 12, 13 2:29 AM
I also dislike this HOG and I am not usually so bad at finding things. Blurry movement, awful music, used up all my hints on the first screen.

A complaint to the developers - 'You kiss under this'. Most people would think 'Mistletoe' NOT HOLLY, no wonder I couldn't find it!

Edited on 06/12/2013 at 2:32:21 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 12, 13 3:26 AM
Morning, afternoon, and evening, all...

This game has a Timed and Relaxed mode.

There is no widescreen for my laptop.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

You can earn 12 Achievements.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) have the standard word list. Words in blue can be found in locations you have to zoom into.
In the "Options" section you can tick or untick "Show Zoom Locations Always". If you have it ticked, sparklies will show you where the zoom-in locations are.

You can have up to 5 Hints (coins with a question mark). If you use a hint, you will find more hint coins in the next HOS.

You will also be able to collect "Score" coins" which, when clicked on, will be added to your score count.

There are also 20 Gears to be found in the HOS. Apparently, you will need them later on for something or other.

After each HOS, you will do different types of mini games.

--- --- ---

I don't know what enerald means by "no window sizing". I can play the game in full and in window mode.

Also, from what I saw, there were not that many animations in the HOS, just the odd one here and there, and only very subtle.

I did not have trouble finding the objects (and I am the first to admit that I often have trouble in HOS that haven't got clear and clean graphics). Yes, the scenes on the whole show more than we usually get, and therefore it seems that the objects in them are smaller, but they weren't so small that I needed a hint to find them.

This game is pretty much a basic HOG, and since I no longer play this type of game, I won't be buying it. But for those gamers who enjoy this type of game: have fun!!

anabel1566
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by anabel1566 on Jun 12, 13 3:28 AM
I agree with the others, items are way to small. I lasted 6 minutes in the demo before deleting. I'm not a great lover of anything oriental/Asian (décor, food, clothing, art etc.) so it was a no buy for me from the start.

The items are just to small to make this game interesting.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Jun 12, 13 5:08 AM
I agree the hidden object are just too small and i like hoh's in game ,but the strain on the eyes is to much. These aren't my type a game but i usually give most of the games a try.I stand by BF ,they've been good to me.But i do wish we could get more and better SE games.I have 7 coupons to get rid of,guess its time to hold off on CE's for awhile .Well there's always the rest of the week.

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on Jun 12, 13 5:25 AM
Holy Headache, Batman!!

After 5 minutes of the demo, I could feel my head throbbing from trying to squint to find all these tiny things. Not sure what the developer was thinking with this one. Too bad...it could have been fun but not for me and my bad eyeballs!

Hey! How about Big City Chicago?

libbyb54nc
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by libbyb54nc on Jun 12, 13 5:38 AM
I own all the Big City Adventure games and bought this one about half way through the demo. I love these games, I am more of an hidden object type of person and hate wandering through different scenes to find different objects to use in another scene. True hidden object games are hard to come by.

It is a bit more difficult finding hidden objects, they blend well into the scenery, and I have had to use my hint button more often in this game. It should be interesting to see what the gears are used for, and the mini games are typical of these big city adventure games.

Anyone who loves the big city adventure games will love this one too. I would give it 4.5 taking off the half, due to some of the objects being very difficult to find.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 12, 13 5:40 AM
we own all BCA's, and we do not find this game to be any different than the others. so if you like any of the BCA's, try this one. we give it a 3 out of 5 .--------------------------doug & lisa..........................

[Post New]by muddydrive on Jun 12, 13 6:19 AM
finish demo and was on level 14. only used 3 of my hints in all the demo. I got a score of over 400,000 so I would say this game for me was not difficult. give it 4 out of 5 stars because the music was not my cup of tea. the game developers should get better music for this kind of game, the same notes repeating gets on my nerves.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 12, 13 8:36 AM
Yes, the items are small and the extras are more difficult to see than in the other BCA games, but I like them. Straight HOGs, with nothing special, but are very long and worth the price. Graphics aren't bad, music is the same as in all the others (I have them all). Games are the same, but they have thrown in a couple of new ones. Game play is very nice. Hint system is nice and fill quickly.

Still don't like the blurry postcards between scenes. This is not a particularly challenging game, but it is relaxing and a nice change from the spooky, scary stuff we see on a regular basis. This game would appeal to all level of players. As I said, I have them all and have enjoyed every one of them.

The "extra" item you need to find (and all these games have them in some form or another), is extremely difficult to find in some areas. All that said, I have purchased this game and added it to my Big City collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

enerald
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by enerald on Jun 12, 13 3:34 PM
Valdy, to clarify. "window" mode for the last 2 releases from **** via BFG have been 1cm too deep, thus making it impossible to see/use the base of the screen area required.

enerald
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by enerald on Jun 12, 13 3:40 PM
PS (Valdy): the nausea is from the way you are taken into the "chapter", the postcards appear/disappear, sideways "scanning", etc .... movement of this type causing eye closure until "sounds" tell you it's now ok to watch your screen is extremely off-putting

nelliebj
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nelliebj on Jun 12, 13 5:20 PM
Love it!! I have all of this series and have enjoyed every single one. No, the objects are not that easy to find but you have a "relaxed" setting so it if takes you a little time, no worries. I have had to use a few hints but I just find that they are very cleverly disguised and that just makes it more interesting.

This is a very long game which I like. Lots of hints and the opportunity to look for more in each tableau. The gears....I've only found 2 so far but I guess they'll show up at some point.

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on Jun 12, 13 8:10 PM
I usually enjoy having one of these lighter hidden object games to play, especially when I learn a little something while playing, but some of the hidden objects in this game are too difficult for me to see. I really don't like to have to use hints and it's not worth a neck cramp to play the game. No buy for me.

jigsnwigs
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by jigsnwigs on Jun 13, 13 2:06 PM
I found this game relaxing, even in timed mode. My game opened in full window. Some items are hard to find, but that is part of the challenge and the reason there are hint coins. You can never have more than 5 so might as well use one once in a while. I didn't find the sparkles distracting like I normally do because, in the scenes I played, there was only one expandable area per scene. Thank you for a HOG that is bright and friendly and doesn't require a walk through.

Go to: