bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 14, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 14, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 14, 13 12:39 AM
I believe the CE version of this game went down quite well so in case it helps at all, you can check out the CE reviews by clicking here!

Cheers,

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 14, 13 1:51 AM
Morning, afternoon, and evening, all...

This Review is based on the CE, which I bought:

There are 5 chapters.

There are Achievements.

There are 4 gameplay modes: Casual, Experienced, Masterful (oooh), and Custom.
In Custom mode you can set the difficulties to your preference with, for example, the lowest setting for both the Hint and Skip button being 15 seconds.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. Both of them are the same, except that the system cursor is not animated.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

The iHOS are just wonderful. Don't recall that I have come across those before. Quite unique. I was saying just the other day that I am starting to get bored with HOS, and even the interactive ones, and here is a game that adds yet a new twist to them

Puzzles can be skipped. As far as I remember, I didn't stumble over one HOS after another, nor did I find a lot of puzzles. Lots of investigating to do though.

The HINT button in the shape of a blue Lighthouse, is at the left. It shows you exactly where to go outside of the HOS.

Also at the left, at the bottom, is the MENU button.

At the very right on the right side is your Journal. From here you can also access your MAP and find your Objectives and Achievements.

The MAP can also be accessed separately. It is left of the Amulet, which is in between the Journal and the Map. It's all a little cramped on both ends of the bottom line, so be careful where you click.

Before you can use the map you will first have to find the different pieces. The white crosses are areas that are done, the red crosses are areas where you still need to do things, sparklies around a cross means that actions are needed, and when you see a red circle around a cross, that's where you are. The map can also be used to jump.

And at the very bottom on the right you can also access your Achievements separately.

The Inventory can be locked to stay on top or unlocked, so it disappears until needed.

Sometimes you will find items in the Inventory that have a + sign next to them. This does not always mean that you can combine them with other objects. You know an object is ready to be used when the + sign glows blue.

--- --- ---

I am loving this game. The graphics are wonderful - just the way I like them. Gameplay is fun and interesting. I just love all those extras that were added to this game. More of an adventure game than a solid HOG, and not too many puzzles.

When characters are talking, they don’t move their lips. I don’t mind too much, but some people might find it irritating.

--- --- ---

This was part of the CE version:

Just right of the HINT button you can find your collection of ACORNS. You can find 34 in all, and the number will tell you how many you have found already.

The reason I don’t think the acorns are part of the SE is because once you found all of them, you get to play an extra game in the bonus section. But I could be wrong, and you can collect acorns anyway.

imanja
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by imanja on Jun 14, 13 2:40 AM
Valdy just want to take this opportunity to thank you for all your wonderful reviews. I always read the reviews before I buy and yours are so clear and considered they really help me to decide which to buy if I am debating between two or three. Thank you to you and all other reviewers your much appreciated

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 14, 13 4:35 AM
Something Really Special
BASED ON CE GAME COMPLETED TWICE

This game marks a whole new standard for HOPA games. The BEST OF GAMES will now have to measure up to its VARIETY in GAMEPLAY, GRAPHICS, even MUSIC, the complexity in STORY & DELIVERY, and the sheer INNOVATION of this game.

Along with the expected GORGEOUS & BEAUTIFULLY DRAWN graphics of the bulk of the game and the HOS, there are also “MINI-SHOWS”, which are cartoon-style movie clips that give you BACKSTORY but are also MISPLACED OBJECT scenes!

As well, this game offers the BEST SOUND TRACKS I’ve heard. There are 10 MUSIC tracks, UNLIKE anything I’ve heard elsewhere. The AMBIENT SOUNDS, from the thunder crashes to the tweetiest of little bird songs, are DELIGHTFUL & REALISTIC.

The VARIETY in the HO SCENES is AMAZING. I stopped counting the different STYLES at about EIGHT. There are LIST styles with DIFFERING levels of INTERACTION, FRAGMENTED OBJECTS, SILHOUETTES, MULTIPLES OF, PAIRS and some I don’t even have names for, because I’ve NEVER SEEN them elsewhere.

The intriguing thing about the LISTS is that the item does not disappear when you find it. It MOVES to reveal a piece of a PUZZLE you need to finish off the HOS.
The HOS are the bulk of the action, but there are some really fun PUZZLES along the way. Not many, and not hard.

Another INNOVATION is the INVENTORY PUZZLES. An item shows in your inventory with a + sign, which means you need to either click it a few more times to get it just right, or you must combine it with something else, or you must solve a mini-puzzle in order to use it.

SKIP is quick (on easy), HINT is DIRECTIONAL, and you have an INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP that shows you active zones, and a photo of each location.
The STORY starts out fairly slow and a little LOW KEY. A town is surrounded by a DARK FOREST, and their only protection is the LIGHTHOUSE. When that is threatened, the town is in real trouble. Your husband, the lighthouse keeper, enters the forest to investigate, and you follow him. Not for long, though, the TREES attack you and drive you back into town, and your husband disappears.

As the game progresses, ANOTHER STORY comes to light, that of a BOY LOST to the forest, whose memorial statue stands in the main square. What really happened to ETHAN? Who is CLARA and what is she up to? And how does any of this CONNECT to your husband?

You have a DELIGHTFUL 4-5 hours to find out!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 14, 13 6:12 AM

We are loving this game . we got it and have been playing all day , now we cant wait to get back into the game. we give this game a 5 out of 5 . can not find a better game than this one.--
The graphics are GREAT - just the way we like them. the game is fun and interesting . -----doug & lisa-------------

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 14, 13 11:49 AM
This is an excellent game. It is one of the best games I have played. I prefer the CE version because of all the extras. Sometimes there is not much difference between the SE and the CE but in this game there is. I rarely say this but the CE really was worth the extra money for me.

[Post New]by goodyear1998 on Jun 14, 13 4:04 PM
fantastic game....am really enjoying it. wish I had bought the ce. now that I have read the reviews.
see how the budget goes this month.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jun 14, 13 5:18 PM
I picked up this little gem when they had that huge CE sale...........loving every minute of it I'm actually replaying it...................IT'S THAT GOOD.................

EXCELLENT GAME FOLKS TRY IT

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Jun 15, 13 12:49 PM
I to love Valdy's reviews. Started to play and wasn't sure about buying. As I got in to it I was liking it much better. Since it is buy one get one free and think it is the perfect week end to buy.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jun 15, 13 7:50 PM

This game should be re-named (gasp!) "Attack of the Killer Trees"

I found this to be one of the dumbest games ever, and that's saying something. The opening scene of the game is so dumb, so idiotic (and yes I realize it is supposed to be a fantasy) that I could not continue.

The begining of the game is supposed to draw you in, not drive you away. Well it drove me away immediiately. The "killer" trees even had the dreaded RED EYES. Puh-leeze! Frankly, I'm shocked that anyone could give this lame tripe a positive review. In my opinion, this is simply a waste of talent.

But everyone has different tastes, so give it a try.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 16, 13 5:43 AM
Overall this is an excellent game. One of the best I have ever played.

Game play – The game play is smooth and moves along logically. You are given objectives and a map. The map shows areas where you still have something to do, although you may not have the items to complete the tasks in each of the indicated areas. So you can’t just go to a “task” area on the map and always be able to complete the task right away.

There is a very balanced mix of adventure, hidden object games and puzzles. Some of the HOGs have interactive elements which is a nice variation. The puzzles range from very easy to challenging. I found the puzzle instructions a bit hard to understand on a few of the puzzles.

Story - The story is very well done. There is lots of information given throughout the game that develops the characters, gives history of the town and explains more fully your progression through your adventure. There are several places in the game where you encounter videos that have mini-games within the videos. These are fun and always add to the story. The journal is an essential part of the game and should be read carefully, especially if you plan to get all of the achievements.

Voiceovers – In the game credits the voice actors are listed as Voice Artists and I agree. (I constantly listen to books on CD which are preformed by voice actors, so I have heard some extremely good voice performances.) This game has some of the best voice acting that I have ever experienced in a game. Kudos to all the Voice Artists in this game.

Soundtrack – Some of the best I have heard. Very appropriate, haunting and moving. A great addition to the depth of this game.

I recommend the Collectors Edition version of this game. I think it is worth the extra price because of the extent of the extra elements in the CE version.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 21, 13 1:25 AM
BASED ON COMPLETION OF THE DEMO

I'm just not sure about this one. Like Steve San, I was very put off by the opening scene with the cartoon trees, flapping branches and red eyes. I thought, "Oh, no, another forest fairy tale." If not for the glowing reviews by Valdy and JustTheFacts, I would never have continued. Strangely, other than the trees, the artwork is really attractive. The trees look more like woodcuts. Maybe there was a method to their madness in that, but if so, it's a contrivance that IMO just doesn't work.

Then came the first HOS, and it was pictures! Ugh! Again, I would've backed out, but curiosity won out, so I continued. There have been no more picture nor silhouette HOS so far, but the other HOS I've encountered are indeed... well, unusual to say the least. I don't love them; I could deal with them, but the approach seems like a forced affectation just to be different.

And then there's the issue of voiceovers and the unmoving mouths. How much more animation would it take to make the speakers' mouths move a little bit?

As for the story-telling, I have questions, like what is this amulet thing and why does she have one? Why was that not explained at the outset? Why are there both old-fashioned lanterns and modern light bulbs? If there are light bulbs and electric lamps, why is hamster power required? The devs can't think of something better than sending us on a quest to retrieve objects that need to be put together without real reason? Please.

(BTW, the hamster is really cute and the best part of the game so far.)

In the past, I've been persuaded to buy a couple of games based on excellent reviews only to wind up feeling like I got gypped. I'm going to sit on this one and wait for some more reviews before deciding yes or no.

Edited on 06/21/2013 at 1:25:58 AM PST

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Jun 22, 13 5:39 AM

Played this game all the way through and was continually impressed by the devs.

It is a really great game and kept my interest, no boring bits like there usually are. Lots of attention to detail in the HO scenes and puzzles with little twists and turns that really made my day.

Played in Easy/Casual mode as life is enough of a challenge and my games are for chill-out time. I really don't care what the story line is either because they are only there to give a reason to go from one scene to another. Most stories are so highly improbable anyway that they're an irrelevance.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another game from this dev, awesome.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Aug 11, 13 10:31 PM
Just a few months late on this SE, but finished the whole SE version of this game and wanted to give my short review, as it seems others before me have pointed out the basics and gameplay of this great game.

You have to jump into this game on a leap of faith because the opening scenes are so sci-fi unreal. Like why are all these trees trying to eat people? And what is this amulet thing that our heroine is carrying and seems to work well on these dark, threatening trees, until she breaks it? Where have all the people in town disappeared to? What happened to the lights? You need a little faith to know that you will learn about all of this and more as the story goes on.

The story is told mostly in a puzzle-type mode, but so different than any puzzle I have ever come across. I also love the HOS's, again done in a way I have never seen before. I would have to say the game is more adventure than hidden object.

The more you learn about the background of this story, the more intriguing it is. I so love a good story. Although IMHO it is a sad story, don't worry. You are there to right all the wrongs done, and all ends well.

I don't believe you need the CE of this game; I can't imagine what would be in the bonus game play as the story does come to a complete ending.

I found myself lost quite a bit after about the half way mark. I don't know why - maybe you were meant to be lost in the big, dark forest. There is some backtracking, but nothing major. The game played very well and very smoothly.

It took me a little over 6 hours to play, and I did not skip a thing. I guess I am an average HOS/Adventure gamer.

I woke up this morning thinking about this story. I had to add that because it was such a great story for a game, and so well-done. The demo does not do it justice, IMHO. I'm glad I purchased it, and had a great time playing it.

Happy swimming fishies . Definitely try before you buy, but the demo is just not good, or maybe not long enough for you to get a good idea of how great a game this is. But always up to you!

rolldedice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by rolldedice on Jan 28, 14 8:24 PM
Nice LOOOONG game-really enjoyed this one!!!!-must give this one a chance -u-will not be sorry!!!! Thanx BF u did it again!!!!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 20, 14 10:08 AM
I had loaded this game and then got distracted so didn't get right to it but I am pretty speechless as to review of this spectacular game. Never played one quite like it before. Whoever the developers were, they were amazingly creative in all aspects. I played casual, but was still challenged at times and totally mesmerized.

HOS were varied, interactive and very creative. Even the inventory items were interactive like I've never seen so you have to be very focused. Never a dull or boring moment, in fact just the opposite...needed to stay on your toes.

The map was a transporter map that you gather along the way during the first part of the game. Cut scenes were great and different, mini games/puzzles were so varied it is hard to describe them and were not hard, but could be challenging.

All I can say is this game is a must! About 3 hours long so it was a good length. Story was refreshing and the ending was complete...to an extent. Voice overs and music were very appropriate...A definate 10 out of 10, worth every penny.

Edited on 02/20/2014 at 10:09:56 AM PST

Go to: