bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Order of the Rose

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 17, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Order of the Rose? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Order of the Rose page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

Edited on 06/17/2013 at 12:38:46 AM PST

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Order of the Rose

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 17, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

enerald
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by enerald on Jun 17, 13 1:13 AM
Well, read comment referring to a Beta review on 14 Jun '13, read said review - watched vid; conclusion? Yet another game from "archives", ergo - not even worth d/l time. Appears to predate Buckingham Palace, etc genre

Nana6177
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by Nana6177 on Jun 17, 13 1:14 AM
puzzledone wrote:That one and only first review w/5 stars is by a dev I thought we were not to use name.

I too thought it was strange to have a review so quickly, and the date of the review preceded the release date on BFG...after seeing the comment above it now makes sense.

BF this is really not fair to your gamers, we rely on others opinions. To have a dev. review their own game is deceiving. You should at least require them to have a disclaimer on there informing us that they are the dev..

Edited on 06/17/2013 at 1:17:42 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jun 17, 13 1:38 AM
Well I played most of the hour and bought it. Very nice game. It makes a nice change from all the 'ERS' type of game with all the achievements etc (not that there's anything wrong with ERS type games) this one is a little different with maybe not as much hand holding. I would certainly recommend playing the hour to get a fair view of it. Personally, I'd give it five stars.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 17, 13 1:53 AM
Morning, afternoon, and evening, all...

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a large ugly custom cursor and the system cursor. If you use the system cursor, it will not change at hot spots.

There is full screen, but no widescreen (not for me, anyway).

There is no voice-over.

There is no map.

The Diary, which has a "Clues" and a "Tasks" tab, is at the left.

The Hint button, which only takes about 20 seconds to refill in Easy mode, is at the right.

HOS (hidden object scenes) are frequent, will be used more than once, and are partly interactive. In this case, "interactive" means that you have to open a drawer or curtain to get to the other objects - all words are in the same colour, so you don't know which ones are hidden away and which aren't.

And speaking of colour: The words in the HOS lists are golden, and on a golden background. Needless to say that it's a tad difficult to read.

Puzzles, of which there are few, can be skipped. The Skip button takes about 40 seconds to fill in Easy mode.

--- --- ---

The graphics are not bad, and although this looks like another one of those retro games, I found it strangely entertaining and fun. However, I had to give up when I tried to open the safe, and couldn't be bothered going through all the numbers because the hint that was to tell me the right combination, whatever it was, eluded me. (ETA: Dobbie gave us a tip in another thread about the safe's combination).

Although I liked what I have played so far, I won't be buying this game, because I am a little more picky when it comes to games. This one was not bad, but it was just not quite right for me.

Edited on 06/17/2013 at 2:48:24 AM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jun 17, 13 1:54 AM
I've d/led and played the demo, also, and I am quite enjoying this game.

Graphics are good and clear, fills my 23" screen and I'm interested in the storyline.

Two modes of play.

The hint refills in about 22 secs and works outside the HOs.

The music is okay, though I did turn it down a little.

I know this is not a very thorough review, however, I mostly wanted peeps to know that this game, according to bfgBiwa as well as the Devs name in the game, is not made by PlayFirstGames.

Don't know anything about the reviewer!

I'm gonna use a pcc and enjoy the game!

Recommend you give it a try and make up your own mind before deciding about it.

Happy Gaming All!

BK

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 17, 13 2:41 AM
SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN AVERAGE, AVERAGE GAME

BASED ON DEMO

PARENTS NOTE: This game includes drug references and recently dead corpses.

This game is WORTH A LOOK. It can’t compete with some of the spectacular games we’ve seen lately, but it’s a reasonably good stand alone SE game. And it is quite different in style to most HO Adventures. (Very few PUZZLES)

You start with your arrival at the CRIME SCENE of the murder of a famous fashion model. This is your first HOS. No exciting introductory CUTSCENES, BACKSTORY or OTHER PREPARATION. One thing I must OBJECT to immediately, why was this model living in a derelict building? Do we really need grunge that badly?

The police officer who greeted you leaves you in charge, and from that moment you’re free to explore the scene on your own. There are NO VOICEOVERS, and NO DIALOGUE. After the first HOS, you are confronted immediately with a number of other ones, and searching the LOCATIONS for MULTIPLES OF. HO SCENES, which you will visit twice, are all LISTS, little or no interaction. Outside the HOS, there is a lot of EXPERIMENTAL CLICKING required on bottles, cushions, etc. that move and may or may not reveal a wanted item.

None of this really amounts to ADVENTURE-style gaming however. You are confined to a small set of scenes until you get what you need to move on to the next chapter. On CASUAL mode, the game will guide you with SPARKLES for HOS, and GLOWING POINTS OF LIGHT for those items that must be COLLECTED outside them. The HINT button will instruct you if you are in the right location, otherwise it’s that unhelpful “there is nothing here” response. You also have a JOURNAL which keeps CLUES & TASKS. So even if you’re not good with adventure, you can manage.

Once you’ve got all you need to move on, you are transported to the next chapter’s LOCATION, where the same procedure follows.

The GRAPHICS are a LITTLE ROUGH, but I quite enjoyed them, even if they were mostly ugly scenes. Hidden Objects were sometimes very hard to spot because the HOS was too dark, or they were partially hidden. The PUZZLES were varied in DIFFICULTY, but SKIP was QUICK.

The MUSIC is PLEASANT, but REPETITIOUS.

There is an INTRIGUING BAD GUY. We, being the investigator, no nothing about him yet. But he is already showing a knowledge of Latin, a penchant for leaving CRYPTIC MESSAGES, and all the usual signs of a VERY INTELLIGENT PSYCHOTIC KILLER.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 17, 13 3:23 AM
A very intriguing game here that is quite different from what we have seen just lately. It's a very retro-style murder mystery with a lot of good mechanics and refreshing game play.

It is a bit rough around the edges graphically, but that fits the story that is unfolding.

Antiquated programming offers no widescreen.

No voiceovers.

There is no map, but a diary keeps you informed as to the next steps to take and is helpful in moving the story along.

This is an adult themed game ---- there are no pets to dress up, no cute critters to help you along, and no special rooms to decorate ----it is, after all, a murder mystery ---- one that has nicely done HOS and puzzles, and tells a good story. Certainly worth a look-see, and, in my case, worth a buy!!!! (And it's double punch Monday. )

Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by 0161 on Jun 17, 13 3:37 AM
Nana6177 wrote:
puzzledone wrote:That one and only first review w/5 stars is by a dev I thought we were not to use name.

I too thought it was strange to have a review so quickly, and the date of the review preceded the release date on BFG...after seeing the comment above it now makes sense.

BF this is really not fair to your gamers, we rely on others opinions. To have a dev. review their own game is deceiving. You should at least require them to have a disclaimer on there informing us that they are the dev..

Totally agree!

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jun 17, 13 7:12 AM
So I bought it and have played loads since. Each to their own I know but I can't understand the negative comments. The graphics are excellent and it is widescreen on my 22" 16 x 10. There are some very nice puzzles, the reason there is not one every few screens is (I suspect) because they are more difficult than the same old same old stuff we usually get. I usually only play a small part of these games, I get them for my wife but this one has kept me busy today, excellent, more please.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 17, 13 8:27 AM
Game is different than most of the games we have seen lately. Rough graphics, O.K. sound, no voice overs, but clear HOS. Puzzles are a little different, and mostly boring.
The story line develops as you go along. Seems to be worth a free coupon, but try it for yourself.

Edited on 06/17/2013 at 8:28:46 AM PST

[Post New]by Tartanpimpernel on Jun 17, 13 8:31 AM
After the demo I did not hesitate, had to purchase. It is like moving from Fairyland into the real world. Don't get me wrong, I love the other Devs who make the colourful games with cute animals and fairies, etc. but we seem to have had quite a run on those recently that is a complete change to find this gritty murder mystery. It has some excellent cryptic puzzles, which may take a bit more time than circles and sliders, but are much more fun. Too many hos, in my opinion, and the snow sometimes make the screen a bit blurry. It seems like a pretty lengthy game as well. I purchased with a game credit and, being Monday, I got an extra punch. Win, win situation. You are well advised to give it a try. Happy gaming.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jun 17, 13 8:35 AM
I did not compete the demo, so perhaps the game improves, but it is a bit hard on the eyes. Graphics are pretty rough, not clear and sharp like most games we see these days. This one has an outdated feel to it, like it was sitting on a shelf forgotten, and then brought out years later.

There is no map, no voiceovers, and no widescreen for everyone. There are 2 modes of gameplay.

The HOS have some tiny items to find, but it is not necessarily the size that makes it difficult as it is the muddy graphics. Also, I am not sure why some developers insist upon using the same color for the background as for the word list. Yellow lettering on a light brown background is never a good idea.

The cursor is quite large and quite ugly, but you can't really use the system cursor because it doesn't change over active areas. For me, the cursor was too big and too clunky.

You get a journal which when there is something to read, glows and sparkles like fireworks until you are forced to read it whether you want to or not.

On the plus side, it is a different storyine, and a lot of HOS which will please some, and make others choose not to buy. Considering most games lately don't have as many HOS as the older games, lovers of HOS or those new to playing HOPAs will enjoy. It appears to be one of the easier games, unless it gets more difficult as it progresses. In casual, skips and hints fill quickly.

Not for me, but worth a look anyway, especially with a PCC on double punch Monday. Enjoy!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 17, 13 11:22 AM
Interesting and different. In my family, you are either in law enforcement or the medical field so I have always been interested in a good mystery. Graphics are old school but good. Game play is good, music okay. HOGs fairly clear, although some areas are very dark, and items you find are appropriate to game play. This game could use voice overs.

Did not care for the hint system, as it is not helpful. Don't tell me there is nothing to do here, I already know that, why do you think I'm asking for a hint! Hint fills quickly, although not very helpful when you really need it.

Not a lot of instruction within the game, so you stumble around figuring things out by clues...sometimes that doesn't work either. Guess that's why they call it a mystery. This is a not a challenging game, but I did find it fun for a change. Demo went quickly and I think I need to know how this one plays out. Off to use a credit on this one.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Jun 17, 13 1:08 PM
I used a free game credit on this and just finished. I actually liked it. I usually decide within a few minutes whether or not to buy. I finished the entire trial and ran out of time so I knew I was interested.

Pros: interesting and challenging puzzles
ok story
some direction on where to go next
quick filling hint

Cons: very dark
some hog's have snow falling
items are challenging to find in hog's
negligible directions for puzzles

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on Jun 17, 13 2:58 PM
I agree with most of the other posts, this is excellent game. Different, and I love the puzzles, not your run of the mill puzzles either but something you have to think about.
I've been a bit hard on BF over the last few games but they have excelled themselves with this one.
Thankyou for a very enjoyable game for my birthday, used a Coupon Code so it feels like a prezzie and got 2 punches as well.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jun 17, 13 4:21 PM
played the demo and had to buy on double punch monday!

i like that this is a grittier story... no fairies, princesses, cute fuzzy animals to buy [stuff] for... a nice detective story for once!

i would rather it filled my widescreen monitor, but i'll live.

had to change from custom cursor (what's that thing supposed to BE, anyway?) to system since custom wouldn't behave AT ALL.

i liked the puzzles that i got to and enjoyed the fact that i could move things around in the room i was in, looking for stuff. the HOS were many, but yet not annoying (as they usually are for me) because it was more like you were checking under the bed (ew, with a dead body on top!) and in the medicine cabinet... places you would really look if you were investigating. some of the things were well enough hidden in the regular scenes (not HOS) that i ended up using a hint!

which brings me to the one drawback of this game: many things were VERY small and i tend to sit a ways back from my monitor. for this game i have to lean in to find the very small game tiles, for instance.

music was ominous and repetitious and after a while, i had tuned it out.
graphics were very clear for me.

all in all, a good game and very much worth an expiring PCC on DPM!

JMHO. try the demo for yourself to see if you will like it.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jun 17, 13 9:41 PM
wow where has this game been....? In the closet for 10 years....too old and archaic and totally can not stand all the HOG's. No buy for me. Wouldn't buy it even if it were .99 cents. A real yawner.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 17, 13 11:36 PM
I liked it. It was different from the usual cookie cutter CEs, and I enjoyed the mystery. I actually felt like I was really involved with solving this mystery and so searching for real clues (YES!), and not just the usual make busy work type tools, was a welcome relief. I didn't mind not having voice overs, but would appreciate less repetitive music...I did wind up turning it down after awhile. The game was long enough for me, and I hope to see more from this dev.

Strange to me that I actually wind up liking some of the regular games more than I do the CEs. I really like a good story line, and tasks that make sense in the progress of the game. More like this, please!

Go to: