bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Legends: The Curse of Vox Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Jun 20, 13 4:50 PM
Hi everyone!

What do you think of Haunted Legends: The Curse of Vox Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other players in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Haunted Legends: The Curse of Vox Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of players that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgSeine

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Legends: The Curse of Vox Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Jun 20, 13 4:51 PM
Hi again,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgSeine

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jun 20, 13 4:56 PM
No buy ............................................Not CE material....................................posted my own review..............Plus still had 26 min left of my demo..............Maybe a little short here...............

Edited on 06/20/2013 at 4:58:34 PM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 20, 13 5:31 PM
Well, for the most part "If it looks like an ERS…" I quite liked Queen of Spades, never finished Headless Horseman, and never bought The Undertaker. My hopes weren't that high for Vox.

The artwork is classic ERS; I will say the opening scene was rather dramatic. The story, viewed in widescreen with voice overs, is not new. You must help a woman understand why, how, and who killed her brother. All she knows is a book is missing, and since its disappearance, generations of her family's members ghosts have returned to the family manse. The imp from previous Haunted Legends is back, as is the detective, who doesn't seem to recognize the imp at all.

there are 3 modes of play, the hardest has no black bar hints -- indeed, most of them are gone. An eagle eye for detail will help you find needed items and recognize what you need to do. I played the entire demo during which I saw 3 interactive HO scenes, one of which was silouettes, and 1 puzzle. There is a detailed, quick travel map to help you move around to collect inventory and accomplish multiple tasks.

This game has no achievements. There is a new side task involving a garden which involves collectibles. There is no dress me, name me, play with me pet. (yet)

The diary holds your notes, Ghost info, and Garden inventory. There is mention of a Necklace that also ends up next to your map, but I didn't procure it during the demo. You might -- I am pokey.

CE content:
I missed the number of chapters -- possibly 8
The Garden
Bonus play
The usual Fluff.

For what it is -- yet another HOPA -- I'm willing to say this had some curious moments, some clever interactive tasks, and presents the best of the ERS art style. Definitely worth your demo time.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 20, 13 5:49 PM
Oh my... I can enter the forums again.

Good morning, afternoon, and evening, all...

Well, I had the pleasure of playing the demo yesterday, and now I just need to remember all those wonderful things I encountered:

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

There is a choice of custom or system cursor.

Your Diary is at the right.

Also at the right is your Hint button. I haven't used it yet, so I can't tell you how fast it refills in Casual mode. But if previous games are anything to go by, it shouldn't take too long.

Your Map is also at the left. It shows you where you are, and where actions are needed. It can also be used to jump.

There is a variety of HOS (hidden object scenes). I loved the second one best. Yet again a new high for ERS.

Puzzles/Mini games can be skipped. SKIP button doesn't take too long to fill in Casual mode. I actually loved the mini games I came across so much, that I didn't pay much attention to the SKIP filler. Was able to do them, and that is always a big plus for me.

Below are some extras you get with the main game. They may be seen as spoilers by some gamers, so beware...

Throughout the game you will find rings that will be added to a necklace, which you need at the end of the game.

Oh, and I almost forgot: You will find flower seeds throughout the game, which you can plant in the pots that are in your "Garden", and earn money when you sell them so you can buy more flowers to plant.

Yes, it's a busy game, and it can get a little too busy, but I love those extras. Hoping that those extras are only part of the CE, I will be purchasing the CE.

Edited to take out the part with the squirrel. There is no squirrel in this game. It belongs in "Living Legends: Frozen Beauty". I am playing "Frozen Beauty" at the moment, and demoed "Hauted Legends" yesterday, and because I couldn't access the forum yesterday, I had to wait until today to write a review, and thereby mixed up the two games. Sorry about that.

Edited on 06/20/2013 at 10:45:50 PM PST

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Jun 20, 13 5:51 PM
I'm a big fan of the overall ERS style, but the creepy little guy in the Haunted Legends series (in a different art style, too) is never a favorite with me, and he's all over this game. In the other HL games he only showed up here and there and at the climax, but he appeared in pretty much every scene of this demo. So I didn't enjoy that.

The hidden object scenes and game challenges were all on the easier side. Relaxing, but no sense of accomplishment.

I didn't understand the "garden" (actually a greenhouse) game. Although I found several seed pouches during the main game, I wasn't able to do any planting. The garden seemed to require buying the seeds with gold coins, of which I accrued zero in the demo. Maybe it just wasn't playable during the demo. Maybe it was just me.

I'm a little cool toward this one. 3 1/2 stars, I guess. Maybe I'd buy it during a serious sale in the future. Not now, though.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 20, 13 6:11 PM
Actually better than the other GamERS games we have experienced lately. To me, not a bad game. However this is game isn't terrific either. At least they have changed the storyline from the fairy tale genre. I love the Duesenberg car in front of the mansion with the art deco theme of the 30's. Very Gatsby-ish. I love these cars and am an aficionada of the era. Again, the graphics are gorgeous. They have provided some new elements to their puzzles. The hidden object scenes require you to use the items in the scenes to locate other items. I had heard by the grapevine that this game was to be strictly an adventure game minus the HOG scenes. I, for one, wish that BF would have provide more adventure games minus the HO scenes. Being that my bday was yesterday, I was happy that this week provided two games - one I anticipated (Dracula 4, which came out yesterday) and this one today which will provide welcome relief from the difficulty of that game. It seems that this dev has several theme-based teams which develop games, one theme's game coming out right after another theme. My advice (as inconsequential as it may be) is to get rid of the fairy tales and menageries of their games. They are quite juvenile and boring to play. Otherwise, to me, this game is not bad and probably better than we have had in some time from this dev.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 20, 13 6:13 PM
endofmonth wrote:I didn't understand the "garden" (actually a greenhouse) game. Although I found several seed pouches during the main game, I wasn't able to do any planting. The garden seemed to require buying the seeds with gold coins, of which I accrued zero in the demo. Maybe it just wasn't playable during the demo. Maybe it was just me.

Endofmonth, you will get the first flower of each type for free. Just click on the pot, and then click on the picture that comes up, and then click on the flower from the book (I think that's the order), and you will see a seedling growing in your pot.

Water it 3x - you can see when you can water the flowers again by looking at the petals on the pot. After that, you can cut the flowers, and get coins for them with which you can buy more flowers.

I think this is an extra that has nothing to do with the main game, so not sure how much fun it will be to plant, water, cut and sell them after I have done it a couple of times.

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Jun 20, 13 6:24 PM
This isn't the type of game that I personally go gaga over, but it isn't bad either. I don't like hidden object scenes so the fact that they are easy works for me and I like hidden object scenes better when they are other than lists and this game has that variety. I was enjoying the demo when it ran out so maybe will wait for the SE and then will buy.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jun 20, 13 6:32 PM
This is the first ERS game in many, many games that I haven't hated. I was even a little disappointed when the "demo is over" information popped up.

Pros:
+ I like the graphics. They're ERS style, but not as badly muted with that watercolor-y effect.
+ The story is sort of interesting. There is a murder mystery as well as a ghost story. There seem to be many different facets to the story, which is good. It's not the greatest one I've seen in a game, but not bad.
+ The diary is pretty well done. There are different sections/tabs for different parts of the story so you can keep track of what you've done.
+ Sounds and music are good, but usual ERS. The voiceovers are quite nice.
+ I like the "find an object, place it, get a new one, place it..." silhouette puzzles. Some of them have a puzzle-within-a-puzzle. They're fun, if not a little easy.
+ I actually like the flower growing mini-game/side game. The game mentions something about an uncle and a garden near the very beginning, so that's where that comes in. I'm still not sure of the point of it, but the flowers are pretty and give you something extra to find while playing (although the things you need to collect are relatively in your face).

Cons:
- I found most of the puzzles to be too easy. (I do wish they'd make them more difficult in hard mode!)
- Even in hard mode with no blackbar tips, it's pretty easy to figure out what to do next, since most of the time once you get an item you use it right away in the last area you were just in.
- No achievements, no real extra anything special. The big "extra" is the flower growing area, I guess.

All in all, this is one of the better ERS games as of late, but I'll wait until there's a sale to purchase it.

Edited on 06/20/2013 at 6:34:10 PM PST

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jun 20, 13 6:58 PM
This was so typical ERS.......and I'm utterly tired of them. On top of that my demo time was under 30 minutes...........

No, thanks.

Edited on 06/20/2013 at 8:59:48 PM PST

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Jun 20, 13 7:40 PM
Our nemesis, the nasty SG, is back in Haunted Legends the Curse of Vox. The tale begins when the sneaky little thief breaks into a home and takes the Book of Wishes. The homeowner, a wealthy collector, is killed and GS takes off with the book. Is all as it seems? Who murdered Airiman Filler? Play this new Haunted Legends game to see if you can solve the mystery behind the Curse of Vox.

I won’t get into the technical details since they have been already detailed by others but will say that the game is the usual high-quality that I have come to expect from ERS. The visual aspect of a game is very important for my enjoyment, and the bunny team continues to provide the beautiful artwork and package that never disappoint me.

As you move through the adventure you encounter several types of iHOS including list and progressive silhouette types. The puzzles are great and become successively more difficult as you progress in the game. Aside from a great story, I always look for great puzzles in a game and these are excellent. The puzzles are not really something that experienced gamers have not seen in the past but nevertheless, they are still very good.

The CE game has many of the standard extras such as the strategy guide, wallpapers, concept art, and screen savers but we can also replay the HOS, puzzles and cutscenes. As you progress in the game you need to find 13 poltergeists and, although they are not exactly morphing objects, they are special energy fields that can be a challenge to find. You will also earn achievements that are related to a garden that will open shortly into the game. If you love experimenting, you will certainly like your garden where you will cross pollinate plants to create new hybrids and earn money to purchase more seeds. I found the garden to be a lot of fun and a very entertaining extra touch to the game. If you are looking for added value in a CE, I think you will find it in the Curse of Vox CE.

All in all, I believe this is a great game. Fans of the Haunted Legends series and of ERS will most likely love the game. Seasoned gamers may find the game predictable but I think that ERS is striving to meet the challenge of bringing something new to the market. It is difficult to always please some who may have unrealistic expectations but for most of us, I believe that this game is fun and will provide hours of quality entertainment. I highly recommend the game but, as always, please try the demo to see if this is a game you would like

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jun 20, 13 9:39 PM

edited to remove mention of the non-existent squirrel

i really didn't care for this game. i played the beta version and am not going to bother DLing the demo since i know i won't buy it.
SG makes too much of an appearance in this game for me. i didn't mind him in the other games, but this one, he's over the top.

i bought bronze horseman and queen of spades. i enjoyed bronze horseman, but have yet to play queen of spades. didn't bother with the undertaker.

having bought the first two games of most of ERS' series, i guess i'm burned out. i have not bought any of their games for a long time. i'm still waiting for a true adventure with harder puzzles and no cute animals. i'm hoping they can deliver with twilight phenomena and dark alleys II.

for this game, the music is typical ERS... a variation on a theme, as in just about all their other games.
the game mechanics are the same.
the map is the same.
the graphics are the same.
puzzles are the same.
HOS? a couple were fun, but still the same. and, i'm bored with HOS. i'd play an adventure game if i could... with some nice, challenging puzzles, but lately, ERS doesn't make them.
and i REALLY wish they would put the menu, SG and hint BACK IN THE CORNERS where they belong. they are VERY distracting so far out into the screen... and the corners are filled with more "artsy" stuff which is totally unnecessary.

i REALLY didn't much care for the whole gardening thing... has nothing to do with the game, the mystery. apparently, you sell your flowers to earn coins to... what? nope, not for me. give me a straight up game with out all the glitz, pets... and now gardening. just a distraction from the adventure, the story, nothing more.

won't be buying the CE or the SE.

maybe that's why i so enjoyed the SE "order of the rose". finally we were offered a gritty crime game and not a cute pet anywhere in sight. even with all of its HOS, i jumped on it.

ERS could listen a bit and make some grittier games for those of us who like harder games. but i won't hold my breath. i don't look good as a smurf.

another edit: i'm sorry that some fishies take offense when i (and others) say we would like harder puzzles.... and overall harder games. we are allowed our opinions, too and i don't care to be told how to write my reviews... or that i should not write them at all.

JMHO. try the demo for yourself to see if you like it.

Edited on 06/21/2013 at 1:16:41 PM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 20, 13 10:06 PM
A typical ers game that will surely be loved by their fans ---- but there is so much to ers that involves using the same themes ( the goblin/dwarf/whatever that thing is, is not cute or clever, just hugely boring), the same back and forth they think is adventuring, and the same now becoming generic music, and the busy work side things (a garden this time), that they are just too predictable and far too easy. Time consuming, sure, but extremely easy ---- so much so that all the positives get negated by the predictibility and simplicity.

And there are some positives:
-The graphics are quite nice with very rich coloring and lots of detail.
-The widescreen programming makes their games look so much better.
-The CE package is plentiful, and this game includes an inside look at some of the people at ers which I thought was a very nice touch ---- something different that puts a personal aspect to the game. Of course, ers is no different from all the other devs in believing that wallpapers, screensavers, concept art, and music are relevant ---- but just trivial fluff to me.
But I like the replay of puzzles ---- the problem being that ers puzzles have become so simple lately that there is no point to replaying them.

And I was pleased to see no dress-up, fix-up, cutesy childishness involving "critters" of some sort.

And, unless there is some point to it later in the game, the garden aspect is just "busy work", and gets boring very quickly.

The best game in this series is easily Queen of Spades, and this one doesn't measure up to that. But it is a step up from their last release (Reveries).

I no longer expect much at all from ers games as I believe they long ago fell out of the top tier of developers because they do not aspire to bring anything new to the market, they just focus on rehashes of their never-ending series of dwarves, puppets, werewolves, cemeteries, maestros, etc. with the same thematic game play, HOS, puzzles, music, etc. It just seems they would use their obvious creative energy and ability to come up with something new, different, and original.

So ers has indeed done it again ---- and again, and again, and again, and again----------

Edited on 06/21/2013 at 12:18:57 AM PST

MinnieK
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by MinnieK on Jun 20, 13 10:45 PM
I have played the game right through, also the bonus game. There is no squirrel, I repeat NO squirrel, or any other pet. The side games are the garden and collecting poltergeists (if you know any Latin that will be of help here in knowing what to look for). Definitely NO pets.

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by AirCoco on Jun 20, 13 11:51 PM
Played the demo and even half way through that I was forcing myself to finish it. I used to really like games from this company but I agree with those who said its the same ol' same ol' all the time. Pretty graphics. Too much running all over and if you are having a map what is the point in not making it a JUMP map? Big huge turn off for me in a game ---- lots of time consuming running and no way to get there but eat up game "length" so it is mistaken for game time.

The elf guy ....ohhhh my how scary. I have not played tons and tons of these types of games but have played enough that I can almost tell the way the whole thing will play out when I find a certain item. I am just so burnt out and/or tired of the same old formula to these games of late, the same silly animals with the huge eyes, the bird that wont give you the key it is sitting on unless you go find it bread or a bug. Ghosts that mostly whine. Etc. It is a whole big world of creative imagination out there and I do not get why 90% of these games are all the same thing over and over.

I am not buying this. If I ever have a punch card code for a free game that I need to use and when this comes out in SE maybe I will get it. I just have too many along these lines and it is a shame to me that a really good, decent, creative, challenging game is so rare lately. But when I do find one I support it by buying it. It isnt worth it to me to use punch codes at games just to get rid of the codes but that is what I have been doing way too much here. Even with the sale for this game, I did not buy Haunted Legends The Undertaker because of the same reason I will not get this, Been there done that and I have a lot of other games that is this same stuff.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jun 20, 13 11:58 PM
It's ERS so everybody knows exactly what to expect because they keep making the same game over and over, change the scenes a little and here's another new game. Same old same old. They used to be fantastic games but I think people are getting a little jaded by them now. Move on ERS, Order of the rose was a far better game, IMHO, and was a SE.
I think I'm done with ERS now unless they change something soon.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jun 21, 13 1:18 AM
For me, Queen Of Spades was the best in this series. I bought the CE of that but only the SE's of Headless Horsemen and Undertaker. And I won't be buying this CE either.

Typically predictable fare from ERS and I couldn't find anything in the demo which made me want to continue playing after it ran out. Nice enough graphics, simple puzzles and repeated HOS; story did seem quite intriguing as I'm a sucker for helping trapped ghosts but that was really the only aspect of the game that kept me playing. And the 'flower growing' side game left me cold; wasn't interested in that at all.

The one thing I did love was in the music room; the piano was playing something really quite lovely. I wasted lots of the demo time just listening to it! Otherwise I'm afraid it's just another ERS game; overly familiar and nothing special.

I haven't bought a single new game from BFG for 2 weeks and I can't remember that ever happening before. House Of 1000 doors was the last new game I bought (June 7th). And today's game is the SE of a CE I already have (as was Wednesday's), so won't be buying that either. Maybe I'm getting picky but lately there seems nothing worth spending even a PCC on. Not everyone can afford to go on holiday, so there are people who still want good quality games through what we in the UK have to tolerate as our summer. And so much for cut price offers; there's nothing worth buying.

Oh well, at least there's Wimbledon to look forward to. That's when it's not affected by

Edited on 06/21/2013 at 1:23:43 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 21, 13 1:18 AM
It’s Astonishing!

BASED ON ONE HOUR DEMO

I’ve only ever felt lukewarm about this series. But these “new generation” ERS games are ASTOUNDING. Each one comes up with a new way to INDIVIDUALISE the game and CAPTIVATE the gamer. In this one, COLLECTIBLES takes on a whole new meaning.

Let’s start with the KNOWN. Our STORY centres around that DEVILISH DWARF from the previous games in this series, SG. He plays a much more involved part in this game, but it doesn’t really matter what he’s up to, we know it’s going to be NO GOOD. Somewhat surprisingly, he claims he is innocent of the murder we are investigating. Considering what we saw in the GRAPHICAL BRILLIANT & SUSPENSEFUL intro, this is hard to imagine.

It seems that at the heart of this mystery, is a magic book that grants wishes, VOX. And, clearly, SG is out to get it. At the moment it has an entire estate of GHOSTS caught in its clutches, and we will need to help them as well as find the answers to all our questions.

The GRAPHICS are typical ERS, colourful, detailed, beautiful. The MUSIC is ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT. Good on you, guys! The VOICES too are GREAT.

The GAMEPLAY. We have 2 types of HO SCENES, interactive LISTS and PROGRESSIVE SILHOUETTES (find this to get that, to do that, etc.), visited twice each. There are a few NOT EXCEPTIONALLY HARD PUZZLES, mostly simple, some involving more than one TYPE to clear the obstacle. Getting around and finding INVENTORY ITEMS is about AVERAGE level of difficulty, and reasonably logical within the CONTEXT of a magical game. HINT is DIRECTIONAL, there is a JOURNAL and a JUMP MAP (I don’t think it gives ACTIVE TASKS), so there's help if you need it.

Then there are the COLLECTING SUB-GAMES. In order to HELP the GHOSTS and progress in the game you must first find POLTERGEIST SEALS which unlock bonuses such as INCREASED HINT RECHARGE SPEED, and help us with EVIL GHOSTS. Then, we must also find RINGS, to attach to a NECKLACE, which will eventually allow us to DISPEL the TRAPPED GHOSTS and beat VOX.

to be cont'd

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 21, 13 1:29 AM
continued from above...

We can also collect PLANTS for our GARDEN. This is an involved process. First, we must find the SPROUTS and a SPROUT EMBLEM. They can then be PLANTED, we must WATER THEM, and when they BLOOM, CUT them (more emblems need for this). With the CUT BLOOM we earn GOLD, kept in our TREASURE CHEST, with which we can BUY MORE exotic plants. Just where all this leads is STILL a MYSTERY, but it looks like fun.

The list of CE EXTRAS is huge. GALLERY ITEMS (incl. SCREENSAVERS, and behind the scenes PHOTOS, MOVIES), SG, BONUS PLAY, REPLAYABLE HOS & PUZZLES, and your GARDEN.

Such an amazing array of COMPLEX COLLECTIBLES is of itself worthy of a CE, but with everything else as well... I simple can’t force myself to wait till Punchcard Monday to buy!

I recommend this game!

Go to: