bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Calavera: Day of the Dead Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 22, 13 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Calavera: Day of the Dead Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Calavera: Day of the Dead Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 06/22/2013 at 2:55:12 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Calavera: Day of the Dead Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 22, 13 12:42 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jun 22, 13 1:13 AM
My review is based on beta testing and trial. I really enjoyed this game when I beta tested it. But it's been so long since I did...I forgot about the game. I'm glad to see it finally come out. I really like the overall gameplay and storyline. Good graphics and animations. Now...with this said...it can be somewhat of a challenge to find items and where to go and what to do next. I really like the animated talking book! It make's me giggle.

I can't wait to see what happens next. I find the game flows very well. Most definitetly give the game a try. For me it's a buy when there's a CE sale. That's only because I only by games on sale. Not because I don't like the game. I'd just rather wait for a good sale. The more I save...the more I can buy. Thank you ! Job well done Developers. Enjoy!

Yes: Widescreen & Fullscreen
Yes: Voiceovers
Yes: Achievements - 20
Yes: Journal (animated talking book)
Yes: Collectables
Sound effects
Music effects
No: Voiceover volume button (but it does have voiceovers)
Theme: Magical Festive Mystery

I rate this game: "Piglet"

“These are my terms" for hogs, I hogs, frogs & adventure games.

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot. LOL

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

edited for spelling

Edited on 06/22/2013 at 1:21:21 AM PST

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jun 22, 13 1:13 AM
This game is really enjoyable!

Pros:
+ Really nice graphics. Some scenes are gloomy without looking overly gray or washed out.
+ Storyline is the same old "save someone who's been kidnapped by a bad guy" deal, but at least it has a somewhat different theme with the Day of the Dead thing.
+ Three modes of gameplay to choose from. Hard gives you no puzzle hints at all, but hidden object scenes have sparkles (well, tasteful "sparkles" that fit with the theme), which I don't mind at all.
+ H0s are clear, although a little junkpiley. Nothing new there.
+ You eventually get a jump map.
+ Your journal is alive ( ) and gives you information now and again (and you can also read him!). There's a nice tab on the journal to check your achievements without having to go back to the main menu screen.
+ Puzzles are fun, although nothing terribly new there. I will say, though, that there's one typical lockpicking style puzzle that's different. It's also timed in a way, so people might not like that. It wasn't overly hard, though.
+ There are collectibles spoiler alert: highlight to read in the form of colorful sugar skulls and also achievements. It's nice having a collectible that's somewhat different from the usual, and each one seems unique. They look lovely in their display room in the main menu. Some of the achievements are for doing strange things, like spoiler alert reading all readable material in the game, like posters, newspapers, etc. I like that! Edit: Click on the collectibles you've found in their display room in the main menu and you'll get a special surprise with each one! Nothing big, but I thought that was a cute presentation of regular bonus material.
+ Last but not least, there's humor! There are cheesy little jokes and one warning poster in the game that I thought was silly and funny. I love when games add silly stuff like that when appropriate.

Cons:
- The music drove me crazy even after just five minutes. I hate having no music playing, but the loop on this one is so short.
- Voiceovers aren't great.

All in all, this is a fun game, and I bought it right after my demo.
(Edited for spelling!)

Edited on 06/22/2013 at 1:18:49 AM PST

tbcoe
Marlin
Marlin
9,599 Posts

[Post New]by tbcoe on Jun 22, 13 1:30 AM
You also can change the brightness. It is the 1st thing that pops up when going into the game. There is 4 modes of dark to very light.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 22, 13 2:04 AM
Calavera: Day of the Dead CE

Okay -- it's hard to totally diss a game that involved me for an hour I hardly noticed go bye. I would even give this game near highest praise if it wasn't for too helpful black bar info.

It's possibly the story presentation that kept me. You have asked your girlfriend to marry. She says yes, but we must get father's blessing. You go to Mexico ehere dad is supposed to meet you at the train. He's not there. Your girlfriend faints from heatstroke. You go to look for water in the station canteen. There you meet a talking book. This is no cutesy fairy tale, although the book has a wry sense of humor. And there probably was a better time to go to Mexico than during the Festival of the Dead…

The artwork can be stretched to wide screen by deselecting the widescreen option. It doesn't suffer too much and sets the tone for this unusual presentation. There are voice overs and the music has some dramatic moments.

3 modes of play -- hardest has no skips for mini games.
Interactive HOs are meant to be finished quickly if u want …
Achievements -- there are many, see them in the guide
Collectibles -- each one gives you a bonus like replaying …
Puzzles -- some have a time component like arcade style
Talking book is your Guide, that is also his name
Quick Travel Map

CE content:
Strategy Guide -- Again, I forgot to look at the TOC; this might be fairly long.
Bonus play
Music
Wall papers
2 printable 3D projects to fold

So, I liked the the way the weird story was presented, wished for less help, thought there was some clever dialogue, the arcade type puzzles were a little unnerving, the HOs were fairly painless, and the hour whizzed by. That looks like about 3 stars, but it could be more. I say demo and make up your own mind. I have a feeling this will get mixed reviews. I liked it enough to want to keep going.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 22, 13 2:15 AM
What a goofy game ---- but lots of fun!!

Now this is something different ---- an original sort of game that uses all the familiar trappings of hidden objects and adventure, but with a lot of humor, and actually requires you to put on the old thinking cap.
The story is a "find the kidnaped person" type but, again, has so much goofy humor that you forget you've seen it all before.

I like the puzzles, but, they too might not be too popular with everyone because some of them are the arcade type.

To me, it's disappointing that it's a CE, because I think it falls short in that area. There is no working widescreen, the VOs are a little weak, the musical loop is short, and the hint button takes way, way too long to fill.

So it's not worth more than a SE pricing point to me (unless I read later about a terrifically long and entertaining bonus game), and I 'll pick it up then. (No, not even at $9.99)

But be sure to demo this one ---- it's one you've got to try for yourself!!!! (Aren't they all?)

(Great to see Lisa!! )

Edited on 06/22/2013 at 12:53:13 PM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jun 22, 13 2:58 AM
I've not bought one new game since June 7th; no SE's worth bothering with (the ones that were are the standard editions of CE's I already own) and the CE's on offer have been disappointing. I'm desperate for something new to play and despite the button which says widescreen but does nothing, so I'm stuck with big black bars down either side (please devs, get with the 16:9 aspect ratio programming), I'm tempted to get this CE to see where the story goes.

The demo went by very quickly (always a good sign). The whole game felt slightly dated but this wasn't a bad thing. The HOS were very mildly interactive and nothing was too difficult to find. I'm a big fan of the arcade style puzzles and enjoyed those very much! Even the lock puzzle was different from the usual, so the devs obviously tried hard to make this game entertaining. I liked the story too; yes it's a variation on the 'find your missing girlfriend' theme but set somewhere very unfamiliar, with characters I've not come across in any HOPA before.

Collectibles and achievements, 3 modes of play, not sure how many chapters (might have been 7) and the usual CE extras that I don't really want. I loved the talking guide book; he has a great sense of humour! And there is a map which you can use to jump. Overall I found the demo thoroughly enjoyable; even the lack of widescreen wasn't a deal breaker, just a shame as it would have made this game even better.

Most likely a buy for me, unless I decide to save my money for Royal Envoy 3, which comes out next Friday

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jun 22, 13 3:43 AM
Played 40 minutes, casual

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, hard

- Integrated SG, 7 chapters, didn't notice extra bonus...

- Voice over

- 20 achievements

- 26 collectables (Skulls)

- Note book, where you can check your achievements and collectables, a little surprise awaits you

- A while after you've started the game, you get an interactive map

- Hint is useful outside H0, quite fun as it's alive !!

- Skip button, filled nearly instantly in casual

- Interactive H0

- Good mini games, some new

- Good graphics

- Music can be turned low or down...

Your fiancee is kidnapped on the day of the dead !! Up to you to save her and deal with the deads' world ... and if possible remain alive. This game is quite different from what I've played up to now, quite a bit of (sometimes) dark humor, a bit on the crazy side, I had fun during what I played of the demo. A buy for me.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 22, 13 4:23 AM
DELIGHTFULLY DIFFERENT!

BASED ON FULL DEMO

Well, this is DELIGHTFULLY DIFFERENT. Not only are we dealing with a culture not known to many of us, but the GAMEPLAY is different too. And it has that rarer-than-hen’s-teeth treasure, HUMOUR.

This is a HOPA, don’t worry about that, but it is unusual in the TYPE OF PUZZLES offered. They are decidedly ARCADE – LIKE, without being so difficult or time-consuming as to put people like me who are no good at them off. Yes, I skipped some, but only because I was so anxious to see as much as possible within the demo.

The sort of things I am talking about are: SHOOT CANNON CORRECTLY, click WITHIN THE GREEN SECTION to progress, pop the balls by MATCH 3.

The HO SCENES are more traditional. They are INTERACTIVE LISTS, and are visited twice. The OBJECTS are VERY CLEAR and the COLOURS & LIGHTING are EXCELLENT.

So far, I have had no difficulty with finding my way around, but there is a INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP, a VERY HELPFUL HINT that actually says “Let’s go to...” and gives directional arrows as well. I love our TRAVELLING COMPANION, the GUIDE TO THE WORLD OF THE DEAD. He offers us hints and background information and is keeping a JOURNAL we will find very handy.

The SG is very attractive and easy to read. However, what I saw suggests it may not be overly useful. I reserve judgement on that.

In general, the GRAPHICS are very WELL DONE. I’d rate them about 4/5. They are NOT SPECTACULAR, but they are interesting, clear, with a touch of surreal. The scenes are so far set in DAYLIGHT and are COLOURFUL.

The MUSIC is sometimes GREAT, sometimes SO-SO. VOICEOVERS are EXCELLENT, I don't think the accents are meant to be taken seriously.

There are OODLES of COLLECTIBLES, ACHIEVEMENTS & TROPHIES. Collect DECORATED SKULLS for your TROPHY ROOM, where they will give you a BONUS in the form of a CONCEPT ART SKETCH! Very COOL IDEA.

Collect POSTERS to get INFORMATION about the DAY OF THE DEAD FESTIVAL and an ACHIEVEMENT in your ACHIEVEMENT ROOM.

EXTRAS INCLUDE:

COLLECTIBLES, TROPHIES & ACHIEVEMENTS, STRATEGY GUIDE, as above, plus UNLOCKABLE ARCADE MINI GAMES, and the USUAL GALLERY ITEMS.

NB: I DID NOT SEE ANY BONUS CHAPTER ANYWHERE. *edit for correction* There is BONUS PLAY. There is also something labelled 'PAPERCRAFT' that is currently locked.

Well, bonus chapter or no, this game offers a FRESH APPROACH and I’m looking forward to it.

Edited on 06/22/2013 at 4:35:14 AM PST

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Jun 22, 13 4:28 AM
First i would like to say welcome back LovetoMissLisa,it's so good to see your post again.I would always look for your opinion frist,cause love the way you rate them.I too have been looking for this game to come out,but might wait for a sale,if i can wait ,there are four Ce's i want and this is one ,but 6 coupons to get rid of .Anyway fishies enjoy.

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Jun 22, 13 5:40 AM
gamblebug wrote:First i would like to say welcome back LovetoMissLisa,it's so good to see your post again.I would always look for your opinion frist,cause love the way you rate them.I too have been looking for this game to come out,but might wait for a sale,if i can wait ,there are four Ce's i want and this is one ,but 6 coupons to get rid of .Anyway fishies enjoy.

Wow, my thoughts exactly! And I also wanna say the reviews in general are awesome!They are so professional and with my most special reviewers too!
MissLisa I've missed you and your very special rating system!
It's a buy for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 22, 13 5:58 AM
Morning, afternoon, and evening, all... or should I say: buenos días, ¡buenas tardes, y buena tarde, todo. (May have gotten it a little wrong...)

There are 7 chapters, and although the "bonus" chapter is not shown in the strategy guide, there is one. Go to the Main Menu, click on EXTRAS, and there is, among others, the bonus gameplay tab.
Since the bonus chapter is not in the SG, I am assuming that you won't be able to use the guide when playing the bonus game.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over - si si, there is.

There is no widescreen for my laptop, even though there is an option for widescreen.

There is a choice of a custom and system cursor.

There are Achievements.

There are 26 Skulls to be collected.

There are also documents/papers to be collected.

Your HINT button is at the left. It takes about 45 seconds to refill.

HOS (hidden object scenes) are partly interactive.

Also at the left is your MAP, which you will get a short while into the game. It shows you where you are (a halo shows you where you are), where actions are needed (exclamation mark), and it can be used to jump.

And there is this funny book, also at the left which, when you open it, can take you to your Skull collection, or your Achievements. It also holds the Map. The book (el libro) talks to you and helps you out from time to time.

At the right is your GUIDE (strategy guide), which stays open where you last left it open.

The MENU button is below the Guide.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 50 seconds to fill.

The Inventory can be locked to stay on top, or unlocked to move below until needed.

--- --- ---

The graphics are very well done. However, I didn't care for the constant guitar sounds I got each time I picked something up. I also wasn't overly fond of the never-ending ocean/beach sounds, both in the HOS and out of them.

Although I didn't get widescreen, and am not too thrilled about the background sounds, I am strangely fascinated with this game. It's funny and witty, (el libro being the funny and witty one).
I really like the story, and am very interested to see how it continues. So I will definitely purchase this game.

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Jun 22, 13 6:53 AM
steelerlady1 wrote:
gamblebug wrote:First i would like to say welcome back LovetoMissLisa,it's so good to see your post again.I would always look for your opinion frist,cause love the way you rate them.I too have been looking for this game to come out,but might wait for a sale,if i can wait ,there are four Ce's i want and this is one ,but 6 coupons to get rid of .Anyway fishies enjoy.

Wow, my thoughts exactly! And I also wanna say the reviews in general are awesome!They are so professional and with my most special reviewers too!
MissLisa I've missed you and your very special rating system!
It's a buy for me!!!!!!!!!!!

I have also missed games being rated by pigs.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jun 22, 13 7:23 AM
A different take on the old "kidnapping" storyline and I really liked it. I liked the background music. This game kept me engrossed for the entire demo. The puzzles were difficult but not too much so and there is a map that jumps to locations for all that to and froing. Overall a nice little game and I just have to decide CE or wait for the SE....

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 22, 13 11:15 AM
¡Feliz Día de los Muertos! Well, it is a little early - actually the date is el dos de noviembre (Nov.2). Nov.1 is el Día de los Inocentes (recognizing children who have died). Anyway,the event is like the Long Island Medium for "los mexicanos" except they decorate altars in their own homes in which they communicate with their dead relatives. They clean their relatives´ graves and like to have picnics in cemeteries while enjoying adult beverages and dancing. "Calavera" is the Spanish word for skull. The festival originated from the attempt by the Spaniards to convert those "wicked" Mayans and Aztecs to Christianity and stop all their bloodletting and human sacrifice. The big Kahuna (a little Hawaiian) in this celebration is a gruesome skeletal god which was worshipped by the Mayans.
Although not being Mexican, I really enjoy the "calavera" art related to this holiday.

To me, the game is a little "extraño (strange)." As stated by others, the puzzles are a little more difficult than we usually encounter on this site. As far as the graphics, I think Diego Rivera has little to worry about any competition relating to Mexican art. I was not carried away by the graphics, but they were decent. To me, it was very cartoonish. I like Thursday´s offering better than this one. Since I collect "Día de los Muertos" art, I will probably purchase this game, but will wait until it is an SE. To me, a good game, but not worthy the CE price.

Edited on 06/22/2013 at 11:17:37 AM PST

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jun 22, 13 12:07 PM
Just finished the trial hour and it did go by quickly so I was definitely intriged by the storyline. This is a new premise for me and like the way it's laid out, the 'live' hint helper/book and the music. Didn't notice if it was repetitive but I might if and when I purchased this.

The stragedy guide was very good and I really liked the graphics; they were weird and different. The map was ok but although it revealed places to go and do something, it didn't give me the option to jump there.

I wish I could buy every CE that comes up but unfortunately, I don't have the finances for that. Because I think this one is different, I might be persuaded to fork out the cash but I don't know yet.....still thinking. There are other CE's I'd rather have if I am going to purchase anything.

It is a good ideal for those who have completed this game to give their opinion on the entire length of it as sometimes it gets better and sometimes not. Also, I am always curious as to the bonus chapter, whether it is a stand alone story or a continuous or completion of the main game.

Another good game I might not be able to play until the SE comes out.

I reread some of the posts and understand there is the ability to 'jump' to another location using the map, but obviously, didn't get that far in the trial to discover it. That is a big plus for me.

Edited on 06/22/2013 at 12:14:17 PM PST

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Jun 22, 13 3:00 PM
This game is fabulous. It has a cool sense of humor, the music is just fine for the atmosphere, and it's got a nice storyline premise that while not the most original at least is handled well!!

This game has a ton of collectibles and achievements, new mini games to play that are unlike anything I have ever played before. The hidden object scenes are not crowding the joint, but are there. I got to do a lot more hunting thru the scenery than having to stop every five seconds to get yet another goofy hidden object scene done. It's very nicely balanced with games, humor, and hidden object scenes. I liked the achievements, and thought they had a nice twist. I demo'd the game and am buying it. It's reawakened the part of me that was bored by all the hidden object games. I miss humor in my dark games. This is funny and I want the book....Aye Carumba!!

Try the demo its a game to have fun with!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 23, 13 3:37 PM
Not a bad game at all. Graphics were a bit old school in color and clarity, but nice. Game play nice. HOGS simple and items easy to find..need to find one extra item to complete. Music okay, nice voice over, sound FX okay but can be annoying at times. Games simple, but do take a little thought. Hint system helpful, but takes longer than most to refill.

You have extras to find in this game and a lot of achievements to complete, so it keeps you on your toes. Does have a jump map, which is quite helpful since you return to the same areas a lot and the same HOGs. The game is not particularly challenging,but would probably appeal to all level of players. The book is "the funny guy."

As I said, this is not a bad game, but for some reason I do not feel it is CE worthy. It did not make me want to run out and get it to see what happens (pretty easy to figure out the story line) and where it was going. Looking at the number of chapters, it seems like a fairly long game. I'm not sure I will get this as an SE, or wait for a "special" and get if as the CE. Have to put this one in my puddle and think on it a bit longer.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Jun 23, 13 6:32 PM
I only played the demo...but have to say that it had potential. Unfortunately, something in the execution of the game didn't work for me.

The game had a somewhat different premise (going to Mexico on the Day of the Dead). The beginning was interesting, but once you get to the Land of the Dead, the pacing slows down considerably (it doesn't help that the graphics look like something Salvador Dali might have done while drunk), and the game becomes very, very tedious. Add to that the three note music running continously, and it almost frustrates you to no end.

Aside from that, it seemed to me (just an observation) that the devs. of the game didn't either capture or understood the whole point of the Day of the Dead. Yes, it's similar to Halloween in that they honor the dead with altars and so forth, but it's also a moment to laugh at death (that is pretty much why they have the different figurines of skeletons dressed in their best on that day). The game, in the brief time I played it, had hardly any humor aside from the ocassional line by the guidebook (and those were not often) .The tone was somber, which would have been fine in a scary/ Halloween game, but not for the Day of the Dead. In short, more humor would have helped considerably.

So overall, a game that could have been really good, but missed the mark and looks unfinished in different aspects.

Go to: