bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Moai: Build Your Dream

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 24, 13 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Moai: Build Your Dream? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Moai: Build Your Dream page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Moai: Build Your Dream

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 24, 13 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on Jun 24, 13 5:07 AM
This is a great game!!
TM/Strategy at its best. The graphics are superb, but then I expect nothing less with this developer. You build, repair and collect resources to meet your goals, I did read the story, but I always skim through as for me the playing of the game is the "thing", and I never turn the sound on so cannot comment about that.
They do not have a casual mode, only timed so those that don't like timers you may not like it, and I restart if I see I am not going to make it in time for the best award, so do not know if it allows you to continue to play after time is out, prob not.
I like that you do not have to click on fields to gather food, and the ghosts that show up only takes 3 clicks to get rid of them.
By level 7 my hours was up, because that level takes strategy!! I am gonna love this game and will wait till July 1 to get so I can fill up by punches in a month, been saving credits, will be a long wait for me, as I want to get my hands on this soon!

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Jun 24, 13 5:17 AM
YES....you can continue after time runs out. I purposely let the level run out early in the demo to make sure. I would not buy it if you had to do things over and over to make some goal or another.
Great game, I've already bought it. Have fun!

[Post New]by CheerfulDragon8 on Jun 24, 13 5:50 AM
Good game, great fun, good graphics, decent sound. I can't comment on the story as I skip that during a demo. I can't comment on the music as I always turn that off.

I really enjoyed the demo hour and intend to buy this game. The question is 'When?' I have one credit and only one 'punch' on my punch card. If I buy today, that will give me three punches but it will use up my only credit. I'm planning to buy Royal Envoy 3 when it's released, probably next month, and I'm expecting that to be a Collector's Edition requiring two credits.

Buy now or buy later? Decisions, decisions.

bookwriter
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by bookwriter on Jun 24, 13 5:55 AM
This one looks great. I will have to reinstate my membership to get this right away. Also, I didn't even know Royal Envoy 3 was coming out. I'm very excited about that as it is one of my favorite games. Thanks for the heads up.

BFFirefly
Clownfish
Clownfish
540 Posts

[Post New]by BFFirefly on Jun 24, 13 10:10 AM
I'm posting my review of the game here also because it can take 72 hours for a review to show up on the other review side.

Like most TM games, it is about gathering and using resources wisely but one of the resources, wood, is a scare commodity right from the start. In some of the early levels you must build a resource producer but then demolish it later because you need the wood from it to accomplish a goal, so you need a good strategy of when to build it and how much resources you need it to produce before destroying it to use the wood elsewhere. The later levels that have a market you can exchange food and stone for wood makes getting wood easier but in most cases that market needs to be built or repaired.

I ended up muting the music because it got on my last nerve but to be honest I do that with 99.9% of every game I play.

This game is more difficult then you would think at first glance. You really need to play the full demo to see the level of difficulty increase. At first I thought it too easy and not challenging enough but I'm glad I gave it the full 60 minute demo that changed my mind. I found in my first round of play and 11 levels I only got gold in 8 of them, so a good strategy is needed and it is harder than you might think. While I wouldn't say it will be one of my favorites, it most certainly is challenging enough to make it a buy.

Badut
Herring
Herring
345 Posts

[Post New]by Badut on Jun 24, 13 11:16 AM
First of all - I loooove this type of games!!! It is by now almost the only type I play and since there are so few of them, I really try to be positive

But this game...well, it could be great. The game play is interesting enough and very challenging. But the graphics are awful! It is almost impossible to spot the hindus(?) you have to make deals with since they tend to blend in with the background.

And then there is the ghosts - for Gods sake! Stop putting this type of annoyance in an otherways interesting game - or at least keep them at a reasonable level. For me, they ruin everything.

All in all it is an interesting game - but because of the ghosts I keep wanting to jump on my pc and throw it out the window But I WILL finish the game and try my best to make gold on the levels - I just dont think I will ever play it again...

GameFan
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by GameFan on Jun 24, 13 1:54 PM
Badut wrote:

And then there is the ghosts - for Gods sake! Stop putting this type of annoyance in an otherways interesting game - or at least keep them at a reasonable level. For me, they ruin everything.

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one that feels this way! TM and build games are my favorites. I so look forward to them coming out since there are so few of them. The ghosts are beyond annoying ..... they ruin the game. In this game you start out with ghost that only take 3 clicks to kill them, annoying but not bad. Then you get the red ghost that take more clicks to kill then the purple ghost that take even more clicks to kill. You are so busy trying to kill the ghost so they don't destroy your field and buildings that you can hardly fit in any clicks for jobs for your workers. You don't have time for strategy you to busy doing hundreds of clicks to kill ghosts. I finally reached an area where you built a statue which got rid of the ghost. I was beyond happy. But no a few levels later we have ghost back coming in multiple numbers even worse then before.

I'm on level 54 and ready to give up. Just more and more ghosts. The levels without all the ghosts are a treat. Still hard to figure out the strategy to get gold with lots to do. Great concept, good graphics to bad they ruined it with all the ghosts.

nivlem007
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by nivlem007 on Jun 24, 13 3:03 PM
I also really liked the game at the beginning and yes it did get harder but don't they all do the same? I have bought it as I had a free coupon. Yes the ghosts take up precious time and can make you miss things to do. I also found a tree lying down and did not realise I needed to chop it up to get to the no entry plot. It seems you have to think more than it looks like you need to. I am interested how the rest of the game goes, and as always I try to get the gold/3stars on all these games. At least it is fast loading and not having to click on the items to pick them up is good. My conclusion is it's a great game good graphics and fast as you like if you look around before you start, which is a good point as well. Certainly recommend this game if you are into building type games.

nelly153
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

Hate Ghosts

[Post New]by nelly153 on Jun 25, 13 8:36 AM
I was almost going to buy this game.... and then the ghosts appeared

I hate them, I hate things where I have to click, click, click to remove them and therefore this will never be a buy for me, which is a shame because actually it was quite an interesting TM game up to that point.

I don't mind where it is one click and they are gone but anything else is too much

Sorry dev's change this and I will probably buy it

tinyzac
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by tinyzac on Jun 26, 13 6:59 AM
loved it except for all the ghosts no glitches frustration level high but well worth the money more games like this one please its a winner

Shane19
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Shane19 on Jun 26, 13 6:31 PM
I'm going to echo the comments about the ghosts, which are a deal breaker. I was otherwise liking the game, but I immediately uninstalled once I saw there was something you needed to click on repeatedly. It's bad enough when you occasionally get something like that, but it kills the game when it becomes an integral part of the gameplay.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jun 27, 13 3:59 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this. Clicking incessantly on ghosts ruins this otherwise pretty good game. I like that you can pass over items without clicking, but then you have to click your brains out on these stupid ghosts. The people who like strategy games like this normally aren't all that interested in shoot 'em up games. Just sayin'...

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Jun 28, 13 12:56 PM
I have to say I do not like so many ghosts. I can understand putting some interest in with them, but many who play these games are older and have some wrist and hand problems and the incessant, repeated clicking is a little tough.

The strategy is the thing I love.

warp35
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by warp35 on Jul 1, 13 5:20 AM
I have been with Big Fish for a while now and never say anything. To me this is a great game and to get all gold is very hard thing to do . You have to go over and over what you did before which makes the game more interesting. You can pass the the level but if you want to do better you have to really think . To me thats a good game

noyb
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by noyb on Jul 2, 13 2:10 PM
I enjoyed the gameplay overall. I did find the graphics a little rougher than others - I don't like the ghosts either - multiple clicking just puts you at risk of carpal tunnel! However, that's somewhat offset by being able to collect resources by waving over them rather than clicking to pick up, and I like that feature.

I did buy the game but really hesitated because of the story line. I'm SOOOOOOOO tired of the "rescue the princess and she's yours" storyline. Have we not done this... and done this... and done this... it's sexist and grating. The woman does nothing but get carried off helplessly then gets married off to the guy who runs up the hill the fastest. This makes me incredibly cranky. PLEASE PLEASE give us some active female characters wearing more than a bikini top. Have you not read your demographics? A huge audience for games of this type is educated mature women. If not in the interest of social justice, at least for your own benefit, play to your audience (and while we're talking about this issue, we could lose all these buxom and sexualized female characters like the peri in Druid's Kingdom too - a simplistic and insulting appeal apparently to 14 year old boys).

It sure would be great BFG if you could pass this along to developers.

kempette
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by kempette on Jul 3, 13 7:18 AM
I really like this game- it's challenging but not so hard you can't do it. I also like that unlike some other games, I don't always get gold on the first try so I have to figure out the level & replay it- making the game longer for me (but not impossible)

Excellent job.

Regarding the ghosts- they are pests, but not impossible. I really like the strategy behind this game.

[Post New]by OrionsRose on Jul 4, 13 10:00 PM
This could have been a good game as it's a somewhat different take on the time/resource management genre and it's a fun setting, but the ghosts ruin it. Their very presence is bad enough (why do all these games have to have them?!) but when I'm in pain after a level from trying to deal with them the game stops being fun.
I'm already in chronic pain...MANY of us who play games are! We don't need something that's supposed to be enjoyable be the cause of MORE pain. Using a mouse is already not great for many of us but these games that require incessant clicking are absolutely terrible.
Please devs, if you must put these annoying ghosts, etc. in the games, at least make them go away with a single click. Have some respect for us and don't add to our already pain-filled lives.
As others have said, pay attention to your demographics.
The weak, scantily women that seem to be present in all too many games are an insult to women of the world and definitely to a lot of your target audience here. Enough already with the acting like 12-year-old boys while making these games. Devs are talented people, we respect that, but we're tired of you guys making us feel disrespected by your treatment of women in games.

Edited on 07/04/2013 at 10:09:30 PM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Reviews for Moai: Build Your Dream

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Jul 9, 13 10:18 PM
GameFan wrote:The ghosts are beyond annoying ..... they ruin the game. In this game you start out with ghost that only take 3 clicks to kill them, annoying but not bad.
Depends on how good you are at clicking them while clicking the other stuff you need to build. I wasn't anywhere near good enough even at that first ghost-ridden level, and so this is a definite non-buy for me.

Go to: