parriepenn
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

Ergonomic Problems

[Post New]by parriepenn on Jun 24, 13 8:12 AM
Moai: Build Your Dream is like so many time management games. It would be perfect if they didn't introduce interminable, mindless clicking of ghosts. The Monument Builders series is the same way. Big Fish's demographic is middle aged women, many of whom have spent their lives behind a keyboard developing tendonitis. The introduction of this type of clicking ruins these games for users with this medical problem. Please work to make these games more ergonomically friendly.

Badut
Herring
Herring
345 Posts

Re:Ergonomic Problems

[Post New]by Badut on Jun 24, 13 11:19 AM
Excactly! And it takes the fun out of it

clemonse
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by clemonse on Jun 24, 13 4:56 PM
You are sooo right.

pinkbear022
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by pinkbear022 on Jun 24, 13 5:17 PM
I was going to buy this game, Glad I read this & all the comments about the ghosts. I changed my mind!

SkippyTrini
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by SkippyTrini on Jun 25, 13 8:35 AM
. Not everyone spends hours on the computer middle age women really you have to be on the computer 24/7 on the computer to mess up your hand like that. This game is fun your missing out. That is something a caveman would say just wrong!

parriepenn
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by parriepenn on Jun 25, 13 9:57 AM
SkippyTrini wrote:Not everyone spends hours on the computer middle age women really you have to be on the computer 24/7 on the computer to mess up your hand like that. This game is fun your missing out. That is something a caveman would say just wrong!
Reread my post. I didn't say everyone. I was warning people who have the same medical problem I do. It would be quite easy to make these games more ergonomically friendly by eliminating the senseless clicking.

I developed tendonitis as a pianist playing five hours a day. I have known at least one hundred musicians with the same problem. Likewise, I have known dozens of women who have developed carpal tunnel syndrome from years behind a typewriter and computer keyboard. Don't dismiss the problem because you have not experienced it yourself.

Edited on 06/25/2013 at 9:58:36 AM PST

[Post New]by bluebuick1953 on Jun 26, 13 11:11 AM
I agree with you parriepenn, that they need to make the games more ergonomically friendly because there are people that have problems with carpal tunnel and other problems from repetitive motion, such as typing. I know because I did data entry for over 28 years, and although I never had carpal tunnel, I did developed problems with my shoulders and had to have my shoulder operated on, and now my shoulders hurt constantly and when I play games with a lot of clicking it aggrevate the problem considerately, so I do wish that the game developers would take that into consideration when making their games because there are so many people with this problem that are not old. I love playing games, especially time management and match three, but I have to stop playing for a while to give my shoulders a rest because I am in so much pain, and for SkippyTrini, you don't have to be on the computer 24/7 to experience problems with the constant clicking.

Wolverine257
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by Wolverine257 on Jun 26, 13 11:21 AM
I also agree, the mindless clicking isn't necessary simply to make the game more difficult. One click to zap ghosts around the screen would still introduce enough of a challenge. People with repetitive stress injuries and laptops would rejoice!

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jun 26, 13 8:25 PM
It's not that bad. The ghosts are only on a few levels

I changed my mind. It's a bear. One night my wrist was numb

Edited on 07/11/2013 at 1:00:45 AM PST

ladywho
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by ladywho on Jun 27, 13 8:14 AM
Thanks so much for your comment the world needs more empathy.

Wolverine257
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by Wolverine257 on Jun 28, 13 12:51 AM
Cromaxgal wrote:It's not that bad. The ghosts are only on a few levels

Yeah... like the entire last half of the game with ehte exception of 2-3 levels!

The baby blue ghosts were bad enough, but the red and purple are freakin' evil. Wave after wave after wave... forget even trying to do anything else to complete the level before they destroy some vital building.

I'm actually having to ice my hand between levels while I watch the video walktrough. I think I've pretty much mashed my mouse button entirely into the casing now

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by stingstungme on Jun 30, 13 11:37 AM
You can build statutes on most of the levels to deal with the ghosts. If you upgrade the statute to maximum, it can kill the most powerful ghost with one shot.

There is also an achievement for completing 25 straight levels without killing a ghost by hand. So you can choose to not click on them and just repair their damage. You might slow your time and jeopardize your chances for gold but you will get this award. .

I definitely sympathize with your arm ailments.

Just as insight for those that don't know, you don't have to spend extended hours on a computer to develop upper extremity pain like carpal tunnel.
People know about carpal tunnel but there is also cubital syndrome, repetitive strain injury, ulnar nerve pain, tennis elbow and golfer's elbow too.

All of those can be caused by overuse too. I've had a few coworkers who had carpal tunnel and it wasn't computer related.

I work at a hospital and while we are computerized, my elbow pain worsened dramatically one day when I was unloading and organizing instrument pans.

I had golfer's elbow, tennis elbow, and a muscle spasm in my arm all at the same time. Because my dominant arm is involved, I have made adjustments when I do use a computer because my arm is still very hypersensitive.

Back to the point. MOAI is a fun game. There are some levels that don't offer a statue so things can get a bit hectic but I didn't consider the clicking to be excessive. I think Tribloos has more clicking.

Edited on 06/30/2013 at 5:15:32 PM PST

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

Ergonomic Problems

[Post New]by stingstungme on Jul 3, 13 7:37 AM
parriepenn wrote:Moai: Build Your Dream is like so many time management games. It would be perfect if they didn't introduce interminable, mindless clicking of ghosts. The Monument Builders series is the same way. Big Fish's demographic is middle aged women, many of whom have spent their lives behind a keyboard developing tendonitis. The introduction of this type of clicking ruins these games for users with this medical problem. Please work to make these games more ergonomically friendly.

I don't know if you tried this suggestion yet but it works on laptop.

If you use a laptop then turn on your touch pad.
Use your mouse as normal with your dominant hand.
When it is time to click on ghosts, simply left click with your other hand using the touch pad button.

krithor
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by krithor on Jul 3, 13 1:10 PM
I agree_ it is stupid clicking, and it doesn't add anything to the game. I also dislike all the clicking between levels. Why not a skip button for the storylines...
I am going to install, the clicking takes away my fun

[Post New]by katherinebruce on Jul 7, 13 1:05 AM
The problem remains. My entire arm seizes up and I begin to get chest and back pain after more than three or four levels. It should not be impossible for them to make the ghosts optional. And for those make suggestions about laptops etc, thank you for your consideration, but unfortunately it is the repetitive nature of the game rather than the position of the mouse that causes problems for many people.

BBB10
Clownfish
Clownfish
715 Posts

[Post New]by BBB10 on Jul 7, 13 3:21 AM
pinkbear022 wrote:I was going to buy this game, Glad I read this & all the comments about the ghosts. I changed my mind!

I have changed my mind as well! I'm suffering from SEVERE chronic pain too, in my hands and back, etc.! So devs, hear this!

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Jul 13, 13 6:17 PM
I have problems with carpal tunnel and with my shoulder. Fortunately, I try to do something else between levels (decluttering, laundry, dishes, paperwork) so that relieves the achiness. Clicking on ghosts reminds me of _My Kingdom for a Princess_.

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Jul 13, 13 9:53 PM
For the ghosts I aim with my mouse hand and click with the other - I can click faster that way and don't wear out.

Building the statues helps a lot too.

[Post New]by OrionsRose on Jul 17, 13 10:04 AM
Clearly the devs (and by extension BFG) have no interest in their customers or we'd have a fix for all the clicking by now. I usually have tremendous respect for BFG but if they won't demand a fix for their customers I can only think they don't care. They know their demographic even if the dev doesn't and they know a lot of us live with chronic pain...all this mindless (and frankly purposeless) clicking has completely ruined what might have been a good game (well, if we ignore the sexist aspect ).

BFG and devs - Please listen to us...this game hurts to play! Please fix the endless, painful clicking!
It would still be a lot (maybe too much for some still) but maybe 1 click for blue ghosts, 2 for red, and 2 or 3 for purple? At least that would make the game still make sense but not totally destroy us.

Go to: