bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Crime Line

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 26, 13 12:29 AM
In Crime Line, you're a homicide detective exploring a wide variety of murders, gathering evidence at the scenes, reconstructing the crime and catching the killer! Dive into 12 complex murders scenes, discover hundreds of pieces of evidence and interview dozens of suspects and witnesses to assemble their stories. Every clue is important, and every witness has a story to tell. Match the witnesses with the evidence to discover who is telling the truth and who is lying. Once you find the killer, you'll reconstruct the murder and find out what really happened. With each case, you'll find out not only who committed the offense, but the motive behind the crime! Solve each case efficiently and you'll be rewarded with more hints and higher rank.

Warning: This game features realistic murder cases and scenes, with images of illegal drugs, tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, and depictions of death.

Re:Crime Line

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Jun 26, 13 12:50 AM
I did the beta for this a long, long time ago; and gave it the worst review I've ever given to a test game. I absolutely hated it; so much so that I can't even bring myself to demo this final product. I suppose they could have greatly improved it......you guys will have to let me know!

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 26, 13 12:53 AM
FINALLY! I've been waiting forever!

A long time ago, I played the alpha version of this game, which consisted of one case, kind of roughly done. I thought then that it was quite an original concept, and since I like logic puzzles, it was right up my alley!

The game came out a couple of weeks back at a another site, but since I quit my membership there, I didn't want to buy anything from them. So I am delighted to see this one here! It's a definite buy for me!

ETA: Hmm. Maybe this is going to be one of those games that people either love or hate . Generally, this dev's games haven't gotten great reviews, but they are well done, story-driven, and very "human". This one is quite a departure from the previous ones, that's for sure!

Edited on 06/26/2013 at 12:58:59 AM PST

MichaelAhn
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by MichaelAhn on Jun 26, 13 1:07 AM
Wow - I couldn't ask for two more extreme reactions to the game!

Alver, I'm sorry you disliked it so much, and I appreciate your taking the time to play the early version and provide feedback. I take everyone's comments very seriously, and while my games may not be for everyone, I try my best with the resources I have to make the game worth your time.

As for the gameplay, I'd rather try to create a new style of game than recycle existing storylines and puzzles. Sometimes I wonder why I take the bumpier road, as I do get beat up for doing so! Maybe it's just that my games simply aren't as fun...

Phatkhat, thanks for the kind words, and I hope the game lives up to your expectations. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

-Mike

[Post New]by OregonPandora on Jun 26, 13 6:34 AM
I have been waiting for this one! I like the idea of short stories that I can play and finish quickly when I don't have a lot of time and I have always enjoyed playing detective!

I Remember "Finding Hope" and although I wasn't in love with all the Hidden Object scenes, it had a wonderful story. I am pretty story driven, so all the reading will be fine with me.
Off to buy!

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jun 26, 13 1:15 PM
Well the concept is interesting but it's just not well done, IMO.

I like the idea of shorter "cases". That makes sense. But I wound up finding the same objects over and over again.

First I'd find them in the apartment, then they would be shown along the bottom and I'd match them up to the statement again. Same objects over and over again. Dullsville.

There were no puzzles, nothing to solve, no excitement, no adventure, just a small number of objects that ALL SPARKLED!! Really, because I can't see the bright yellow tags that already tell me where everything is??? Sheesh.

As far as I'm concerned, this one needs a serious rework. Keep the short individual chapters. Keep the idea of "interviewing" witnesses. But make the actual gameplay something I'd want to do. You don't need traditional hidden object scenes for that but you do need to make it a challenge for me to find things.

Try letting me find the objects in the scene first & placing the yellow evidence markers myself. I'd come into the scene and have to find the objects that were relevant. And have to figure out why they were relevant. Maybe even add some puzzles for processing evidence (like blood, fibers, etc.)

Then find a way to make the matching to the witnesses more exciting. Make the "interviews" all different puzzles or add adventure elements to finding the witnesses in the first place. In the real world, witnesses don't just sit there waiting for a cop to show up. They run, they hide, they lie, they destroy evidence. Work that stuff in somehow.

Take me to the witnesses locations instead of leaving me at the original scene all the time. Maybe I'd find more evidence there. Then take those results and match them back to the scene. Maybe finding more relevant evidence along the way. All the while having to connect things to solve the case.

You could even have "special" items that you find in each case. Find them all and you get a bonus case.

Or something. Anything to make this more interesting.

Generally I'm a huge fan of any developer who is trying to do something different but this just didn't work for me at all.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 26, 13 7:40 PM
I sort of think this game is "A Series of Unfortunate Events" for grownups. It's not an "active" game in the sense that we are used to. It's more like some of the old interactive novels - early Zork, for example. If Mike does all the things you suggest, I think we'll have... CSI. And I actually didn't care for that one.

It would be interesting to have maybe a "hard" mode where you had the right number of yellow tags, and had to hunt for what you thought was relevant. You would only be able to tag the stuff that was relevant, though, I think. I'm not a programmer, so have no idea how something like that would be done.

I think this game might do better where "indie" games are popular, rather than the sort of "formulaic" games mostly offered here. No doubt some of the popular devs have the resources to make very polished and artistically pretty games, but I'm afraid I find some of them exceedingly repetitive and dull, gameplay-wise. And any game without "real" HOS is already one star up in my book!

At least we are getting a few games that are breaking out of the mold. Most of them have gotten poor or mixed reviews, but I've liked them. So I guess it's different strokes...

MichaelAhn
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by MichaelAhn on Jun 26, 13 10:30 PM
Really great feedback - thanks. The biggest criticisms I'm getting is that the stories aren't challenging enough, not enough variety to the player actions, and a need to have more of payoff for figuring things out. I totally get this and I'm already scheming on how to make this work for the next game.

My dream is to be able to find enough of an audience that distributors like BFG consider making interactive stories a genre!

It's only been a day but everyone has given me a tremendous amount to think about. Please keep your comments coming - I can't reply to every post, but please know that I'm reading every comment, suggestion and criticism. Thanks again.

Mike

Go to: