bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Myths of the World: Chinese Healer Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 29, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Myths of the World: Chinese Healer Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Myths of the World: Chinese Healer Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Myths of the World: Chinese Healer Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 29, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jun 29, 13 1:35 AM
This game is really nice!

Pros:
+ Great graphics.
+ Cut scenes and voiceovers are done well, although it is a little strange hearing everyone talk in an American-type accent.
+ I the music.
+ H0 scenes are good, and interactive.
+ You can play mahjong instead of doing a H0 scene.
+ Puzzles are nice, and a few give a different take (or at least a different look) to some older puzzles.
+ Achievements and collectibles. I will say none of the achievements are that hard to get, by the looks of it. One for spoiler alert playing the whole game without closing the game at all is just not going to happen.
+ Map.

Neutral:
You get a healing kit, with which you can make certain ingredients to do spells to get certain things done. The kit has one of those "click when the arrow is in the green area" games that can be annoying, so people might not like that. I don't really mind those, but I do wish the kit was more interactive. It has a bunch of tools to use, but you don't actually get to really use them, just click when the arrow is in the right spot.

Cons:
- The story, although is in a different setting, is pretty predictable.
- Collectibles all look the same. It'd be nice if they were all the same type of object, but each one looked different.

All in all, I really like this game! It has a nice feel to it, and I'm glad to see a game in a different location with different scenery than most games.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jun 29, 13 1:37 AM
Played 50 minutes, casual

- 3 modes, casual, challenging, insane

- Integrated SG which only shows 2 chapters

- Voice overs

- Note book looking like a scroll at the bottom left of your screen

- Interactive map showing places of interest in your note book or click on the compass next to it

- Quite a few cut scenes

- Your objectives show up

- 26 achievements, no skip in H0, quick search, etc... In order to see them, click on the cup at the bottom right of your screen

- 41 cranes to find throughout the game

- Shortly after playing you get a healer kit, where you make your potions, each time it's a kind of mini game, quite fun

- Hint is really useful outside H0, takes you to the place where you need to perform an action

- Interactive H0, sometimes silhouettes, you can swap for a mahjong game

- Interesting mini games, some new

- Good graphics

- Music is a mixture of Chinese and European music

In order to weaken the Emperor and get rid of him, his son is attacked by a mysterious illness. You're the best Chinese healer, will you save the Emperor' son and solve the evil plot ????
This game is a good game but somehow I never managed to enter it completely, it didn't grab me at all but I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy it.

-

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 29, 13 2:00 AM
This is a nice enough game that has been excellently described in the preceding reviews.

And I think the idea of "Myths of the World" is an interesting concept that lends itself to a lot of interesting stories ---- unfortunately, like Poutoule, this particular story had no appeal for me, at all. Maybe it's the Eastern theme, or maybe it's the story itself, but, in any case, it was, for me, simply boring and slow moving. It was a real effort to stay in the demo, and I found myself looking at the SG and pushing the hint button just to "get it over with"

Then extras feature a "making of" which I'd like to see, but, unfortunately, all the extras appear to be locked until you complete the game ---- not buy the game, but complete the game. That's a bad move, devs. Do the devs really believe someone is going to finish the game, then sit around and listen to the looping background music they just heard for several hours? Whatever.

But, as I said, it's a nice enough game, I suppose, but it was just no fun at all. But I have high hopes for future installments.

No buy here.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jun 29, 13 2:31 AM
What a beautiful stunning peice of eye candy! Pack your bags and grab your passports...we're off for a great adventure in this HOPA winner! The graphics and animations are really great. The voiceover acting is o.k. My cursor is a little sluggish...but I have my computer bogged down with games. For those of you who have HD computer's...they have a HD button for better quality.

It's a buy for me and a must try for sure! Great Job to the Developers and Thank you for this beauty! Enjoy!

Yes: Widescreen
Yes: Voiceovers
Yes: Jumping Map
Yes: Journal
Yes: Hog Scenes
Yes: Achievements
Yes: Collectable Cranes
Yes: Custom Cursor
Yes: HD Button
Bonus: Hog Scenes in CE
Bonus: How the game was made in CE
SFX: Sound/Music/Voiceovers
Theme: Stunning Epic Adventure Journey

I rate the game: "Fine Swine" with a bonus pound of bacon. LOL

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!
‘ ‘
(o)

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 29, 13 2:43 AM
This game is huge -- 1.4 GB. It took over 1/2 hour to download. Was it worth the space and time?

Yes! My first thought: Chinese Legend, War, plot against the Emperor, plans to hurt the Emperor's son. I'm not sure I'm interested. Yet again, the demo hour went bye in a flash.

From the same devs who just brought us Linden Shades. The game mechanic is similar:
41 Collectibles
Achievements
Interactive HOs
Well presented if not too difficult puzzles
Voice overs from animated characters
Fast Travel Map
Journal shows your notes, the map, objectives
Plus the addition of Mahjong alternative to HOs

3 Modes of play -- you can switch among them:
Casual has sparkles and fast hint and skip refresh, active objectives and active tasks on the map
Difficult has slower refresh, sparkles only in HOs, no active tasks on map
Insane has no hints, no skips, HOs still have sparkles
Black bar info remains on all levels
Puzzle instructions available if you click on the "?"

The wide screen artwork and animations are striking -- true HD is an option. This does cause some lapse between new scenes.

HOs come a tad too often, but they are not difficult, and there is no lose mahjong with a shuffle feature for those last items you just can't find.

If you want to try for the achievements read them first. They are located in your journal. You also have to go to the journal for the map, an annoying extra step.*

CE content:
Strategy Guide shows 7 chapters, Bonus chapter, collectible locations.
Bonus game play
Extra HOs, replay HOs and puzzles from the game
Making of
Wallpaper and other fluff

You are the Healer, the star of this saga. You will be called upon to use the contents of your Healer's bag to prepare and perform ancient Chinese rituals with items collected on this adventure. Your first task takes you by ship to the City and the Emperor's Palace to see what mysterious illness has befallen the young Prince. As you dock, you meet a young girl, the sick boy's best friend. She will prove very helpful. Until the Emperor returns, the boy is being watched over by his uncle, the Emperor's brother. My gut feeling is he doesn't intend to be helpful at all -- I could be wrong. All I know is I want to find out what happens next.

* ETA: The map is in the journal but also accessible directly clicking on the compass next to the journal.

Edited on 06/29/2013 at 10:03:48 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jun 29, 13 2:45 AM
I really don't like this game. The healing kit is a stupid idea, just the same thing over and again.
There's too many HOS (marginally interactive although objects easy to find), and far too much hand holding.
The music gave me a headache, and there's not enough to do in each scene.
The graphics are excellent.
Too many cut scenes as well.
I played trial until the end, but the game just didn't draw me in at all.
Found the map annoying as it tells you where an objective is, but that's not the place you need to be.
Also, whilst the game is doing something (such as putting a quill in an inkpot in a HOS), the cursor fades so you can't do anything at that point.
Hint system is excellent though.
Finding a crane (bird not mechanical lift) in each scene added nothing at all to the game.
Don't see how this game is a CE; there's far better non CE games.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Jun 29, 13 3:59 AM
I agree with most fishies,i like the game.Like the fact of being in a completely different world.Scenery is beautiful,even though there is a sale this week,i'm not buying.Please BF start offering more Se's .I have 7coupons to get rid of. I have 9 credits to use to,only cause i always buy extra.BF should work on a way for us that ususally buy mostly collectors games to be able to coupons toward them,so for now i will hold off,there are at least % CE's i'd like .Oh well enjoy fishies,good game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 29, 13 4:11 AM
Afternoon, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Challenging, and... INSANE !!

There is a choice of a large custom cursor and a small custom cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

You can tick "HD Graphic" for a better picture. If you want to play in Window mode, you have to untick the "HD Graphic" box.

Your Scroll is at the left. Inside is your Journal, your Objectives, and your Map, which can also be accessed separately.

The Map shows you where you are, where actions are needed, and can be used to jump to different locations.

There is also your Healer's Kit at the left, which you will need to make potions. (Didn't care for how that is done - a tad too easy and boring).

Also at the left is your SG (strategy guide), which only shows the first 2 chapters in the demo version.

At the right is your Hint button, in the shape of a Gong. It takes about 35 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Also at the right are your Achievements - of which there are 26 - and next to it is a picture of a crane (you can find up to 41 Cranes throughout the game).

The Inventory can be locked to stay open, or unlocked to disappear until needed.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are partly interactive. So far, I have come across HOS with a word list, and one with silhouettes.

Puzzles can be skipped. The Skip button takes about 35 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

The graphics are nice, and objects are easily found in the HOS. However, I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement when I started the game. But I did find it more fun the further I got into the game.

I have the strangest feeling of déjà vu with this game. Quite a while ago, I have played a game that had pretty much the same story and played in the same part of the world.

This is not a "must buy right now" kind of game for me, so I will either wait for the SE, or purchase the CE next week if the 4th July sale is better than the one we have this weekend.

Oldgamer99
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Oldgamer99 on Jun 29, 13 6:11 AM
To these excellent reviews, I just want to add one small thing...

The map can be accessed from the main screen rather than going through the journal. Simply click on the compass and Voila! You are on the jump map.

It's a buy for me.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jun 29, 13 7:26 AM
I played about 30 minutes and i love this game graphics was beautiful and sounds was perfect for the story line..Great work DEV's thank you for all your hard work and time you spent on this game..Thx BF for this awesome game..This will be a buy for me.. 5 's

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jun 29, 13 10:57 AM
Hi fishies..................this game is a no buy for me, cause of the following reasons:

1.the game lapses between chores ex. poured acid on lock then used crowbar didn't worked.................. hit hint and showed me the lock again tried everything in inv. but the crowbar (cause tried it) went into guide and showed crowbar, so used it again and worked it happens all the time when you need to perform 2 tasks at once.........................BOO.................
2. have to find the sweet spots(as I call them)in the HO'S

3. more story then playing...........(drawn out to fill time)

SORRY BUT NO BUY

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 29, 13 11:25 AM
Not a bad game, I just can't see it as a CE. Try for yourself, your mileage may vary.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jun 29, 13 12:56 PM
There's no denying the graphics are beautiful in this game, and the music certainly adds to the mood (which is something I rarely say!).

But sparklies on the hardest mode??? Really? Big purple sparklies all over the place. Sheesh. Will developers never learn that when I play on the hardest mode I actually want it hard??

Besides that, for me the whole thing was just too easy. There was no challenge to the puzzles, although they were beautifully done. Even the hidden object scenes were simple and and I never once had to really search for anything.

There are interactive objects in each HOS and those are clearly marked by those spinning gears icons. So you can't even screw that up.

This had real potential. Collectibles to find, good achievements to reach for and a beautiful looking game. But for someone like me who wants a challenge, this one falls far short.

I also wonder if this game isn't short. I flew threw a ton of locations and was practically at healing the son (I think) when I quit to water my lawn. (Darn grass seed!) So if that's all there is to this game, it's really disappointing. On the other hand, if there are more stories for the "healer" then that would be a lot better.

If you like a simpler game with relaxing oriental music and fairly easy puzzles, then this might just be the game for you.

One plus for the CE. I noticed a "Making of" in the Extras section. You can't see it until you finish the game but I totally love these geeky little bonus videos. Seeing who made the game and how they slept under their desks (or whatever) to get the game made is totally a guilty pleasure for me.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jun 29, 13 1:16 PM
FINALLY!

This game is different than the ho-hum boring stories where a:

(take your pick) witch/evil spirit/bad guy with red eyes!

steals your

(take your pick) sister/boyfriend/fiance/father/child.

Yawn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ni hao!. In this game you play Daiyu, a chinese healer called to cure the emperor's son. However, things are not as they seem, and your good efforts get twisted for an evil purpose. So you have to make it right.

The voice overs are superbly done, the cut scenes are also superb.

When you place the cursor over a character to speak, there is a pop-up balloon with chinese script. Nice touch.

The game play is about a 50/50 mix of puzzles and hidden object scenes (there is even a STD during the demo). None of them (in the demo) are really challenging, but they are well executed and interesting nevertheless.

There are achievements for completing puzzles without hints or within a certain time limit. There are also collectible swans.

I like the game, maybe not worthy of a CE though.

As always, try and see.

ETA : there is a "healing kit" you use to develop potions. This is way too easy and is probably the weakest part of the game.

Edited on 06/29/2013 at 1:17:54 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 29, 13 1:16 PM
I agree with some of the opinions on this site and disagree with others. First, this dev has really upped their game from their last endeavor. The graphics are much better and quite beautiful. And guess what? We are getting a new theme - "myths," At least this game doesn't have Cinderella (or a dozen of them), Sleeping Beauty, frozen ice queens, werewolves, vampires, or dozen other fairy tale characters. Nor does it have "cutesie" little animals all over the place. I really don't want to "adopt" another animal, person, tree, (Well you get the idea). My sweetie Bengal cat (who watches me play these games) is enough of a little nuisance with his "attitude." Although I must admit I really would like to adopt the "imp" from Thursday's game.

As others have stated, I am also not into Chinese culture. However, I am certain this dev will provide future games with other myths from around the world. I am not having the problems with this game so I cannot relate to those who are having those problems. Yes there is much more of a storyline, but to me, that is what makes the game exciting. To me, this is a decent game. It is discounted, so I will probably purchase and play at a later date. To me, this is more worthy of the CE status than the one from last week.

Good luck new dev! We have asked for new themes, and you have provided one Thank you very much.

tarrocket
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by tarrocket on Jun 29, 13 2:48 PM
I just wanted to add if I could. The making of video is the worst I have ever seen from the dev. Mostly is a group of people eating at a Chinese restaurant and they get the main idea for the game from several different fortune cookies. Most of the cookies they got had one word each. It mostly spelled out " Make Myths of the world: chinese helaer collectors edition" Its not really a behind the scenes thing. To me its more of an insult to the gamers for believing thats what really happened.

Edited on 06/29/2013 at 2:50:38 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 29, 13 4:38 PM
This must be a new dev..or at least, I have never seen this one before. This is not a spectacular game, but..... The lead into the game is quite long, a lot of cut scenes and talking, but you can click through it (I can read faster than they can talk). The voice overs are nice and appropriate for the scene and setting. Graphics aren't bad, but a bit old school and fuzzy in some places. Game play is nice, music is soothing and not the usual high pitch sounds you get with a lot of Chinese music. The story line is a little different, but the same (I know, that doesn't make sense to anyone but me).

HOGs are quite simple and they do change from straight HOG to silhouette and to Majong (I think that's what it is). Games are quite simple. Did not care for the healing kit - too simple, too boring. Needed more of a challenge.

SG nice, hint system helpful and fills about average length. Please devs, when you can get rid of a "custom cursor," then get rid of it completely, don't just make it smaller! You can lock the inventory bar (I like that). There are 41 cranes to find and they are not difficult to see. There is a jump map, which is very helpful since you do return to the same location numerous times.

This is not a challenging game, but it was nice and relaxing for me. A nice change of pace. With a little more work from the devs, this could turn out to be another "Big City Adventure" type game and go all over the world in time and places. I'm not sure this game is CE worthy, but I liked it and will put it in my puddle for now and see what kind of hot special we have for next weekend. I do not have an uncontrollable need to run out and buy the game to see where it is going, but I will buy it at some point in time.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jun 29, 13 5:07 PM
SublimeOne wrote:
But sparklies on the hardest mode??? Really? Big purple sparklies all over the place. Sheesh. Will developers never learn that when I play on the hardest mode I actually want it hard??

I couldn't agree more! This is the biggest blunder devs CONTINUE to make. If I want to be led by the hand & spoon-fed the objectives & HOS, I'd play on the easiest mode. These "Insane" or "Hardcore" modes are NOT that at all, unless my definition of these terms has somehow changed.

Wake up devs!!!! 3 words - "Customizable difficulty settings!" And then live up to those!!

That aside, I will say that I liked this game. Not love, but like. The graphics are downright beautiful! Some of the best I've seen in a long time. And I liked how the foreground changed to a more blurry effect when you were on the ship and had the option to disembark.

Voiceovers were very well done, too. However, the syncing of mouths to the words CONTINUES to be an issue with all devs. I'm almost of the mind to just have devs stop having mouths move and just give us the voiceovers. Less embarrassing for the devs that way...

The healing kit didn't bother me as others have noted. The music is unobtrusive and the puzzles are fairly easy, especially for the "Insane" mode.

This isn't a bad game, mind you. Just not a 'shout it from the rooftops' game.

I will say that this is the first time I've completed a demo and actually really enjoyed the "Let me sell you on this game." movie spiel at the end. The music was great. The cut scenes were very well done. It felt fairly cinematic. Very good job...

I give it 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5. The simplicity and the purple sparkles denoting HOS take away from a stronger rating.

ETA: My post-demo "movie" comments...

Edited on 06/29/2013 at 6:36:25 PM PST

Go to: