bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Dark Dimensions: City of Ash

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 30, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Dimensions: City of Ash? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Dimensions: City of Ash page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Dimensions: City of Ash

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 30, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 30, 13 1:01 AM
Afternoon, everyone...

I bought the CE of this game in the BOGOF sale the other weekend, and hadn't done a review when the game came out, because I was on an airplane at the time.

I (didn't quite) finished the game the other day. I quit when I was in the middle of the bonus game, because I just couldn't bear all those puzzles and HOS anymore.

Also, if the graphics don't improve, I won't be buying another "Dark Dimensions" game. I never cared much for the graphics in this particular series, but since there are now so many games on offer that have crystal clear and clean graphics, I find this particular game of the series even worse than before.

Also, I am not a big fan of puzzles (it's not that I can't do them, I just don't care to do them), and this game is shock-full with them - most of which I skipped. I kept stumbling over them around every corner. HOS are also plentyful.

Story was OK, but I got really tired of the constant appearance of the black cloud or whatever it was. And those repetitive strange background noises were just too much.

Because I got this game for nothing (BOGOF), I am not too upset that I didn't even want to finish the bonus game.

Sorry not to be more positive about this game. I am sure that a lot of fishies will love this one, it just wasn't quite what I wanted.

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jun 30, 13 1:54 AM
Interested to read the reviews on the CE version of this game?

Just click here!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 30, 13 2:32 AM
Volcanoes & Ghosts Against You!

BASED ON DEMO

I like this game better than the previous Dark Dimensions games, even though I rated them at 4 stars too. This game is definitely less frustrating for me. I like, too, the STORY, of a volcanic eruption sparking a Dark Dimension – a place where the SOULS of the victims of tragedy cannot move on.

CUT SCENES are done VERY WELL, and create a great atmosphere. The MUSIC is GOOD, the AMBIENT noise ADDS to the atmosphere, and the VOICEOVERS are EXCELLENT. The ASH PEOPLE are really well drawn and the fiery ghost is GREAT. VOLCANIC TREMORS certainly increase the heart rate.

Other GRAPHICS are WELL DONE though not outstanding in any way. The LOCATIONS are a bit different from the usual which was nice. And it was nice to get out of the rain for a change. Objects are clear, and easy enough to find.

This game has more HO SCENES than the others in this series, which is fine by me! Although others might disagree. They come in two types – INTERACTIVE LISTS and SILHOUETTES (NOT progressive ones, just ‘find something shaped like this’).

The PUZZLES took up most of the rest of the game, and seemed to me to be EASIER than before. This was also good by me.

Getting about is not difficult, with an INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP that indicates ACTIVE TASKS and a DIRECTIONAL HINT. There’s also a DIARY that tracks your activities.

I’m intrigued by the notion that we might find out more about our family, which have so far not got much attention in this series, and I definitely want to know what’s with the fiery dude.

This looks to me to be yet another excellent game in this series. It’s a serious THRILLER and I’m looking forward to the change of pace from all the (excellent) fantasy games.

I recommend this game!

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jun 30, 13 8:32 AM
I didn't buy the CE because I found the game way too easy.

So I spent a PCC on this. Have to say....rather glad I didn't spend any money on this...turns out this game is very short!!! I got maybe 2 hours of play...and that was it.

phisherman
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by phisherman on Jul 2, 13 11:44 AM
Micha1234 wrote:I didn't buy the CE because I found the game way too easy.

So I spent a PCC on this. Have to say....rather glad I didn't spend any money on this...turns out this game is very short!!! I got maybe 2 hours of play...and that was it.
While this was a good game, I agree it was short.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jul 22, 13 4:38 PM
Ugh....I don't mind a few HOS, but this game was so full of them that I wanted to run screeming out the door the next time I saw those little stars clusters. Good grief. The mini games were even worse...long instructions that took me awhile to even find for very complicated games that didn't even seem to work right....although there were some easier ones.

Story was there but not a real gripper. The transporter map was very small and you had to have very good eyesight to find where you were and to see if there was something you needed to do there. The game seemed very slow...I was glad when it was over.

Not impressed, just glad it was a freebee...I would have been very upset if I had paid for this.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Aug 2, 13 7:20 PM
My trial of the CE was interrupted, so I thought I’d trial the CE, and I’m so glad I did! This is the first Dark Dimensions game I’ve ever bought and I loved it to the end!
STORY:
Yes, the game is short, but I don’t care! The story was something different from the norm nowadays and was a delight to play. I was gripped from the start, and happily played out my game. While it wasn’t the most exciting story ever, I was compelled enough by the demo, and eventually uncovered the whole truth. The story took an unexpected twist near the end, much to my delight. The ending is conclusive in the SE, but was a little disappointing. Not much happened really. I was expecting to jump out of my seat with excitement, but instead, let out a sarcastic “wow.” This was the only real disappointment of the story, which was otherwise fantastic.
GAMEPLAY:
Beginners should have no trouble in this game as the gameplay is very simple and straightforward, with a lot of locations to explore and a lot of things to do in locations. Kudos to the developers for this. There are 3 modes of difficulty: Casual, Advanced and Hard. The differences are listed below:
Casual: Fast hint and skip recharge speed, sparkles on active areas, items and zoom in scenes, no miss-click penalty.
Advanced: Slower hint and skip recharge, no sparkles on anything except HOS, miss-click penalty.
Hard: NO hint and skip, no sparkles. You receive no help at all on this mode.

HOS AND PUZZLES:
The HOS were honestly my favourite part of the game. Is that wrong? I loved how different they were, and I was delighted every time I ran in to one! I’ve seen reviewers complaining about the amount, but who cares when they are this good! Each HOS is played twice, with the first being the classic junkpile and the second being silhouette. Both were fairly easy, but I enjoyed them. Junkpile scenes contained several “extra-step” objects, but the silhouette scenes contained none. While I found both to be enjoyable, I much preferred the junkpile scenes.
The puzzles were a mixed bag. Some were easy and others were hard. The puzzles at the beginning were the easiest for me, but I did manage to solve a few more after that. The puzzles had clear instructions, which was great.

(continued in another post)

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Aug 2, 13 7:25 PM
(review, continued)

GRAPHICS & MUSIC:
The graphics are much more colourful and brighter than in previous Dark Dimensions, which was a welcome change for me. The artwork is extremely well-done, with some scenes almost seeming realistic. I was stunned at how well the artwork was drawn. Well done, developers! However, while I was impressed with the graphics, I had two major issues:
My first and biggest issue was that everything seemed out of place. This game says that the town was destroyed in 1956, and from the looks of things, you are returning to the town after it’s destroyed, but to me, everything about this screamed modern. I don’t know, but everything seemed to be too new for the 1950s. There were some things that were from the 1950s, for example, news broadcasts via radios, but everything else to me seemed more modern than the 1950s.
My second issue: They definitely were NOT kidding when they called the game City of Ash. There was ash everywhere! Trophies turned to ash, ghosts turned to ash, ash was used in the game, you name it, it had ash in it. A bit to over the top with the ash theme, developers.
As for the music, I didn’t pay much attention to it. It was not loud enough to put me off, but then again it was too quiet for me to pay much attention…

FEATURES
- 3 modes of play- Casual, Advanced and Hard. I played Casual.
- Hint and Skip- both recharged fairly quickly on Casual and the hint is fairly useful outside HOS.
- There is a map. The map is interactive and shows where there are objectives to complete, to save time backtracking. I found the map to be extremely helpful.
- Journal. The journal keeps track of your findings. It is used fairly often in the early stages of the game, but after the first hour, is hardly used again, which is a little disappointing.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I really enjoyed it from beginning to end and can’t wait to play it again. It is fairly short, but I honestly did not care as the game was SO much fun! The game gets a well-deserved four and a half from me! Had the ending been a little better, this game would have gotten a five.
Glad I got this with my free coupon. I HIGHLY recommend this game! You will love it!

Fifiluna614
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Fifiluna614 on Jun 2, 14 9:43 PM
The game was too short, the puzzles were too hard, and the hidden object scenes were just plain weird. Definitely NOT the best of the Dark Dimensions series.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Jun 24, 14 11:42 AM
Based on finished game:

Ashes to ashes, eh? I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I play to de-stress and games like this one (not too much of a sob story) work. The 'ashes' effect on the ghost was cool.....haven't seen anything like it. Nice graphics, enough colour, lots of travel but inventory is never too cluttered plus a travel map w/ tasks highlighted. The journal was useless, almost pointless to create one, ja?

In some places, graphics felt a bit grainy but none that made me squint or kiss my nose to the screen. The HOPs, IHOGs and puzzles were easy. For the first few puzzles, I didn't spot the "Info" button (Hint button changes to Info...duh!) and had to guess the instructions....

I mute all volume and have no clue about that aspect. The ending was conclusive w/o fanfare for the villain's exit. The other 3 (?) in the game series are good games too.
Overall, out of 5. One star went to dust!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Aug 20, 14 3:15 AM
By the end of the demo, I was fairly well bored. However, I do think the game has its merits, in particular the story and the ghostly Audrey who appears in various scenes to help you. I believe my boredom was due to it all being so much like many other games -- the devices needed to complete the tasks are ubiquitous in these games -- e.g., as soon as you find a purse, you already know it's going to be missing the zipper pull.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Oct 26, 14 1:21 AM
Dark Dimensions: City of Ash was an okay game but I am glad it was short
I rarely get bored enough to skip mini games that have me keep repeating & repeating on and on to complete it SO I hit the 'skip button a few times
I guess for me it was a time passer

The graphics were clear and I did not run into any 'bugs', Hidden object scenes were okay, a little different than usual but okay. Storyline meh...But please forgive my downer 'review' as this game is well worth at least a try and all of us Fishies have our own different likes and dislikes and I think it is well worth a PCC or part of a BOGO

I am giving this a out of a possible 5 .

Go to: