Reviews for Hypnosis

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Hypnosis

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 2, 13 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Hypnosis? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Hypnosis page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hypnosis

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 2, 13 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jul 2, 13 1:06 AM
This is a strange little game from the developers of Mushroom Age. You will even recognize one of the characters. You are a psychiatrist specializing in hypnosis and dreams. You must go to a private hospital where the head doctor has disappeared. The patients seem to have been left to fend for themselves. One by one, you meet them, talk to them about their fears, hypnotize them, then enter their subconcious and curb their fears. To accomplish this you will be finding inventory items and employing logic to use them. Some of these puzzles are very well conceived. There are no HO scenes to be found.

I wish it had been as weird, humorous, and irreverent as Mushroom Age. It wasn't. Still, it definitely had it's moments. It is worth trying the demo. The game is also available on iPad.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 2, 13 1:58 AM
This is a real change of pace from the games we’ve been seeing lately. It’s a straight-up adventure, nothing else. I really enjoyed the time I spent playing it, but won’t be purchasing.

The story is actually quite interesting. As the game title suggests, you hypnotize your way in to someone’s mind and deal with problems. The reason you are doing this is you are trying to find your friend Dr. Blanche. I have no clue how long the story is, as there is no strategy guide, but I got through 2 patients and was on number 3 when I quit (with 20 minutes left of the demo). The patient visits are quite short.

Wandering around the game was simple and straightforward. When you did get stuck, there was the hint. The hint is rather helpful, so I did not have any point in the game where I was stuck. The game has an inventory, which is where you collect things that will help you solve the patients’ problems. The game mainly consists of wandering, collecting, fighting and entering patients minds. I found that the game does get really boring after a while, which is why I could only play it for 40 minutes.
Throughout the patients’ visits, there is a Phobia battle minigame that is a lot trickier than it seems! I failed quite a number of times. There is the option of fighting or skipping on all but the first phobia (where you must fight). The annoying thing about this was: Once you started, you couldn’t skip if things got hard, you either had to beat it or be stuck there. The phobia battles get trickier as you go along, and sometimes I was yelling at my computer in frustration. All the same, I did have fun with these battles.

The graphics were very well-drawn, with every scene exceptionally clear. The characters’ voice-overs were done well, too. I did not have a single issue with graphics or voice-overs. There is one thing, though: In the game, there was something in the subtitles along the lines of: “You’re parents still love you.” I was outraged by this- The developers have used the wrong your/you’re and have made a total fool of themselves in doing it! This is a mistake that a ten year old would make, not experienced adult developers.

FEATURES
- Hint. The hint has fast recharge speed and is extremely helpful.
- Store. The store features things varying from extra hints to clothes for the character to wear. These things can be bought from gems which are collected after solving a problem.

So, while I enjoyed the time I spent on this game, I will not be buying it. I would

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 2, 13 2:30 AM
This is an Adventure Large File type game. I like it! But then again...I love large file games and games that are out of the norm. For Hog Lover's...I suggest you give it a try...but I'm not sure you'll like it. But everyone should always try every game for themselves...to make sure. You never know what might catch your fancy.

I can't rate this game...because it's so different. But I really like it!

Thank you for a different game. We asked for different and you gave us different. Nice job to the Developers!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jul 2, 13 2:59 AM
wide screen:yes
voices over:yes and as far as i can judge,they are good
interesting story with very much things to do,but on easy side except for the battles
i never,never play a game where i have to fight !not at all my cup of tea and here it is the most important part of the game!i'ld have like if dev had given choice for fighting,their way or perhaps match3 or any other way to play against phobia
i have to say that you have to win jewels and i think they are needed to buy something but in the demo i have juste meet three patients,so i don't find what to do with the jewels
there is humour here,you meet some celebrities here(einstein,branson.....)and they are in psychiatric clinic!
for me too much battles and too much same types of battles,but it may be interesting for fishes who are fans with this type of game
try and make your own mind
it is a very different game and i have to encourage this way for the devs!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 2, 13 3:18 AM
A very difficult game to review here ---- because it is so very different. But I liked it very much.

It's the sort of game you have to give yourself time to get the idea of what the devs have in mind ---- but once you give yourself that chance with the one hour trial, you just may find yourself involved in a nice adventure game. There are no HOS, there is a story involving entering the minds/phobias of assorted characters at a psychiatric facility to determine the fate/whereabouts of the chief doctor of the facility (who you were "involved with" in the past). Got it? Probably not, so you really need to try this one!
There are fighting style puzzles (quite a few of them) where you must rid the patient of their phobias that, so far, are quite easy, and give you nice rewards. Or, you can skip them completely and still continue the story. On the fighting, think mini-"Landgrabbers".

The graphics are very nice, the game is presented in widescreen, the voiceivers are good, and the music is very quiet and unobtrusive. Game play mechanics in terms of navigation can be a bit confusing, but the hint system with its rapid refill overcomes that.

I am among the many here who ask for something different that can be a challenge, and here is a good example of something very, very different. It won't appeal to everyone, but I certainly liked it, and it's a buy for me. But, as always ---- and particularly with this game ---- try for yourself, and see what you think.

Edited on 07/02/2013 at 3:22:53 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 2, 13 3:46 AM
Intriguing Adventure Lite

BASED ON DEMO

Admittedly, it’s been a long time since I played a PURE ADVENTURE game, so I am unable to compare this to any other adventure games released recently. Still, a few things struck me.

Graphics have clearly IMPROVED, and they are bright and cheerful despite the sometimes (potentially) disturbing subject matter. And the general feel of the game is SMOOTH & FLUID. Gameplay is straightforward adventure stuff, a LOT of DIALOGUE that is essentially the game, with INVENTORY items being used quickly after you get them, and experience being the objective.

The STORY is that you are called in to HYPNOTISE a bunch of psychiatric patients who are suffering disturbing visions. As well, you must investigate the disappearance of your ex – the patients’ doctor. Each patient’s visions are different, and constitute a self-contained chapter of the game.

You gain experience by hypnotising subjects, and fighting their PHOBIAS. These are NASTY LITTLE BEASTIES each slightly different depending on the subject’s fears. You also get GEMS for the SHOP where you can PURCHASE outfit items, HINT PACKS and so forth. The fights are SKIPPABLE. But they are not too difficult if you’re used to adventure gameplay. I had a tough time past the first few.

I found the game fairly simplistic, but not bad enough to ruin it. I am concerned about the LENGTH. You need to hypnotise a cop and 5 patients, plus I suspect there’ll be some more dreaming ourselves, and some serious nutting out of the investigation elements. Even still, I had completed the cop and the first patient’s hypnosis before stopping after just 30 minutes. (And I must say, I thought that much must have been as long as an hour, so it’s a bit slow).

And I certainly moved slower than an experienced player would, because I was at a loss a lot of the time.

I suspect that this might be an ideal game for relearning adventure skills, and I may well buy it for that. Because it feels like a BEGINNERS sort of game.

Experts, I have no idea if you’d like it! But it’s worth a try.

I recommend this game!

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Jul 2, 13 5:52 AM
Absolutely loved Mushroom Age, so will definitely like the challenge that this game has to offer. Thanks developers.

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Jul 2, 13 10:10 AM
The weirdest game ever?! (demo)

This starts off looking like a normal game, but after you (a psychiatrist) have been called in to investigate mass visions at a psychiatric hospital, of sorts, things really take a turn into dreamland. This is definitely NOT one for children.

You get to interview characters, but your speech options are limited to say the least, and then you start hypnotising each one, to try to figure out where these visions are coming from. The action is very basic point and click, and there are sparkles everywhere, just in case you can't work out the blatantly obvious. Then you have to battle phobias, which is a strange combination of battle and puzzle, and these become harder each time. There is also a store where you can buy hints, costumes (I have a sneaky suspicion these will be needed to interact with certain characters later on), and power ups, although the latter instruct you to learn about them first and are locked. I have no idea how you would glean this information, I guess the only thing to do would be carry on playing.

After playing the full hour, I still have no idea whether I like this game or not, but I think I might have to use a PCC just to make sure!

I can only recommend that you try this, it's a bit like Marmite chocolate - at first it's a bit too strange, and not everyone will like it, but you kind of want to go back for more!

Edited on 07/02/2013 at 10:11:19 AM PST

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Jul 2, 13 10:13 AM
No. No to continuing the demo. No to buying the game. And NO to playing some weird alternate universe Mortal Kombat with a cross-dressing ogre who has an endless supply of Halloween costumes. Grace Jones shld be offended. Sigmund Freud shld be offended. And Socrates wld be mortified.

That being said, as I so frequently mention...artwork is magnificent. Very talented designers.

mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by mystine on Jul 2, 13 11:16 AM
Well that was 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back...uuggghhh!! what a complete waste...what dusty run down vault was this dragged out of? Mushroom Age was ok...in its time...but this was just a clunky archaic mess.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 2, 13 12:17 PM
Well, I am no big fan of straight adventure games, I much prefer the combo games, which are far more interesting. However, I am always willing to give something new a try. That said, this was not a bad game. Quite old in graphics and movements (reminded me of the first Tomb Raider game). Music was a bit annoying. Nice voice over.

There was no instruction, you just went right into the game, which really throws you off. Hint isn't much of a hint and fills very slowly. Yes, the first woman she meets is quite familiar (I won't give you the name and spoil the guess for you), but she dresses better and has a much higher pitch voice. I did not like the constant "quotes" that show up between every scene, but I think you can turn that off. They really don't have anything to do with the game that I can see.

I am sure there are those who will find this game exactly what they want, but I am not one of them. No buy for me today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Jul 2, 13 12:21 PM
Loved mushroom age, hated this one almost from the start. The movement is kind of 'jerky' and I found the attire of the main character rather offensive. Why do heroines always have to wear very low cut tops.

I did not last more than twenty minutes and I really like adventure games. No buy for me for sure.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 2, 13 12:28 PM
Wow! I love adventure games but this game is weird on steroids. Looks like they have been eating a few "brownies." Those type of brownies are fattening and can fracture your brain! Geesh. There is really nothing more to say for me. I love adventure games but more in the line of Nancy Drew, Dracula 4, and am really looking forward to the release of Siberia III next year. In resemblance to games from those devs, there is no comparison. In a way, this game is frightening in consideration of the devs who produced it! "Nuf said!" Anyway, a no purchase for me even with the coupons.

Edited on 07/02/2013 at 12:29:46 PM PST

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by AirCoco on Jul 2, 13 12:41 PM
I was kind of grumpy that there hasnt been anything to look at for a few days and then I saw this game. There is still nothing to bother with.

The art is fantastic and the idea might have been great but this is the old click-and-then-you-walk-and-then-stop-and-bob-in-place-till-u-click-and-walk-four-steps type of game. I just dont have the patience for this. The thing ran soooooo slow as far as having to stare at a Grace Jones lady for 10 seconds while her face goes from pink to purple and she gets hypnotized. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz indeed.
If you click just to look around then your character (they always look like playboy models on steroids and in fact one "choice" to play Barbie dress up with the character was blurred out becuz its "a naughty costume". Was this game done by 16 year old boys?) walks and you have to sit and wait for it to finish. Theres battle scenes like Lara croft only done by 16 year old boys.

I dont know where this was dug up from but like I said, too slow, too disjointed, too sexist, too not user friendly.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 2, 13 4:06 PM
Good sound, good graphics. Never could get started. Lost from the beginning. I have no idea what the store is all abouy. No buy from me.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Jul 2, 13 4:33 PM
AirCoco wrote:The thing ran soooooo slow as far as having to stare at a Grace Jones lady for 10 seconds while her face goes from pink to purple and she gets hypnotized. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz indeed.
If you click just to look around then your character (they always look like playboy models on steroids and in fact one "choice" to play Barbie dress up with the character was blurred out becuz its "a naughty costume". Was this game done by 16 year old boys?) walks and you have to sit and wait for it to finish. Theres battle scenes like Lara croft only done by 16 year old boys.
Haha, I made it through the demo but was also struck by the Grace Jones detective, the Richard Branson hobo, and our own Lara Croft-ish cleavage (not very professionally dressed for a psychiatrist, are we? ) Not to mention the dress-up corner was...odd, even a tad disturbing...to say the least.

There were certainly things I liked about the game play and I adore adventure games in general but overall this had too much 'pubescent boy' flavor for me.

I did get a laugh when the goth girl complained about her mother being a computer game addict.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 2, 13 5:16 PM
You are right AirCoco. This game was targeted for the 16 to 20 year old adolescent male. However, this age group wouldn't even dream of playing this game. Most of this age group is into role playing games like Skyrim. My kid sister stood in line for 4 hours in the winter until midnight to be one of the first to purchase Skyrim and paid around $80 for it. If you like adventure games, Inquisitor just came out today and it is a better crafted game. Just sayin. I still get ridiculed for liking Nancy Drew. Don't care. I grew up with her video games! And Renaissance Mom, you are right. We all need to be 'doin' something else besides playing video games. Like, I need to do some work or I will pulling a all nighter. Yuk!

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jul 2, 13 6:06 PM
Wow, Mystine, I am right up there with you, I am in total agreement, this game is just terrible! I didn't last very long before I deleted this sorry mess, ugh, another one bites the dust...seems like other than the CEs, there is not very many good games out there anymore.....pity........

Go to: