bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Fierce Tales: Marcus' Memory Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 4, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Fierce Tales: Marcus' Memory Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Fierce Tales: Marcus' Memory Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fierce Tales: Marcus' Memory Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 4, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 4, 13 1:36 AM
Afternoon, Baikal, and everyone...

The SG (strategy guide) shows 3 chapters in the demo version, as well as the lists for the Achievements, Sea Creatures, Shells and Turtles (those 3 you can find throughout the game).

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hardcore.
In the Difficulty Mode you can also de-activate the Map so it won't show where actions are needed.

There is a choice of a slightly too large custom cursor and the system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

On the "Main Menu" you can find, among others, a "Seaworld" tab. When you click on it, you are taken to another page, where you can view the sea creatures you have collected so far in the book at the left, use some of the shells you find throughout the game to buy things for the Aquarium, or use shells to buy things for the dolphin in the Dolphin's Pool.

Your Notes are at the left.

Also at the left is your Map, which you will get a little into the game.

Your Guide and the Hint button (which takes about 30-35 seconds to refill in Casual mode) are at the right.

HOS (hidden object scenes) can be those showing silhouettes (these are highly interactive), or you get a word list. There might be other types later on in the game, but those 2 are the ones I have come across so far.

Puzzles can be skipped. The Skip button takes about 30-35 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

I loved the first in the series called "Fierce Tales: The Dog's Heart". And I am sure I am going to love this one as well. The graphics are very nicely done, and gameplay is fun. I like the interaction with various people and the occasional creature...

As mentioned, you will find shells (with which to buy things), turtles, and sea creatures (which you can ogle at to your heart's content in the book provided) throughout the game, and there are lots of achievements as well.

Because I enjoyed what I have played so far, and am sure I won't get disappointed with the rest of the game, it will be a buy for me.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 4, 13 1:42 AM
Played 40 minutes, casual

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, hardcore

- Integrated SG which only shows 3 chapters

- Voice overs

- Extras : Music, mini games, concept art, wall papers, videos

- Note book where you can view the cuts scenes you've been through

- Interactive map, you can choose not to have the areas of interest shown, whatever mode you're playing

- 22 achievements

- Throughout the game you have to find :
. 19 sea creatures
. 35 turtles
. 44 shells

- On the menu page you access your "Sea World" which contains :
. Sea creatures album
. Aquarium for your fishes
. Dolphin pool

- Interactive H0, in some you have to find silhouettes, items found help you to find the next one. Quite fun.

- Good mini games, some new

- Very good graphics

- Good music, a bit loud.

You wake up, stranded on a beach, you've lost your memory. It slowly comes back to you and you have to rescue your girl friend from the claws of your so said "friend" who kidnapped her right in front of your eyes !!!
Even is the story is nothing very new, this looks like a very nice game, with lots of actions to perform, a lot of mini games which nicely balance the H0. A buy for me, especially with the sale on !

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 4, 13 1:46 AM
I like this game. There's a lot to do!

Pros:
+ The story seems a little different, which is nice.
+ Three gameplay modes and an option to turn on or off hints from the map.
+ Good graphics. Scenes are bright and colorful, but not in your face. It's nice.
+ H0 scenes are really interactive, and work more like little inventory puzzles than traditional H0 scenes.
+ Music and sounds are good.
+ Some of the puzzles are nice variations on puzzles we've seen before. I'm glad to see that.
+ Achievements, although none of them seem hard, and some of them are the automatic "you did this part of the story so you get an award" kind.
+ There's a ton of extra stuff to collect. There are at least three different things to look around for. Some of them are quite well hidden!
+ Wallpapers are useable right away, if you like to use those.

Neutral:
There's sort of a pet or helper critter, but I don't mind him. He's useful and plays a part in the story/gameplay. There's an area where you see some of the things you collected, which is cute. You collect shells as currency in the game and you can use them to purchase upgrades for your "pet" and some other things. If you don't like this part, you don't have to go into that area at all, and the game doesn't bug you about it, thankfully.

Cons: None that I can think of, honestly! I do wish the achievements were harder and more varied, but that's about it.

This game has all sorts of things going for it! I'm not terribly drawn into the story, despite it being a little different than the normal, but it's still a fun game and very well done. There's a lot of attention to detail in the game. Even the guide has a decorative touch. I noticed in a H0 scene there's a hand fan, and said fan has little Victorian looking portraits on it. Each portrait looks different. Quite detailed!

Edited on 07/04/2013 at 1:49:00 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jul 4, 13 2:02 AM
Overall, I would have to say excellent. My biggest disappointment is in the artwork. Some of it is amazingly beautiful, much of it is well done, but the cut scenes, which play a major role, are a disappointment in comparison.

This developer has been listening to what people want, perhaps late to the table, but you get:
3 modes of play plus the customizable option to have or eliminate active tasks on the fast travel map. The casual mode has sparkles, fast hint and skip refresh. Advanced has slower refresh, click penalty, no sparkles (even HO's, Ithink ), hard mode has no hints, skips, sparkles and a penalty. One drawback -- black bars appear even in hardest mode.
Interactive HO's but not too many -- I saw only one in the 1/2 hour I played.
puzzles -- I only got to one I had the found items available to play -- it was not very difficult; but I saw several others waiting for me.
Collectibles -- there are zillions -- well, okay, many. Three kinds, including morphs (again, I think they morphed ) -- they were not easy to find, and in advanced mode, there was no hot spot indicator for them. Admittedly a superfluous task to the adventure, but they will be used in an extra activity as you collect them.
Yes, there is even a helper, but I think you will really fall for this creature.
diary -- holds collected clues and information.
voice overs
wide screen
Achievements
Sea World -- collectibles activity

CE Content --
Strategy guide -- 6 chapters, bonus chapter, achievements, collectible locations
Bonus chapter
replay mini games (finish game to access)
music (available now)
videos (finish game to access)
wallpapers and concept art (available now)

The Adventure -- You play Marcus. The story Involves a love triangle -- Marcus lost. Left to drown, he surfaces, with no memory of who he is. Seems the town is in turmoil after the appearance of strange creatures riding dolphins. TBC…

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jul 4, 13 2:03 AM
continued…

The two stories had yet to merge when I reluctantly stopped to write this review. The story is intriguing, and best of all, the adventure presents some challenge. You need a sharp eye and a good memory, and some logical thought when it comes to using the inventory items. Even that one HO I encountered offered a lot to do. The most information you usually will get from the black bar info is "I could use something here". No, it is not MYST, but the game play is not spoon fed to you at every turn.

I can't speak to the bonus chapter or how it impacts the core story, but again, if you are into achievements they go through the extra game play.

I would say that with the sale, this would be a worthy purchase.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 4, 13 2:23 AM
I’ve Been Dreaming Of A Game Like This

BASED ON DEMO

Ever since I discovered HOGs, I’ve been dreaming of a really well put together game that was took advantage of the BEAUTY UNDER THE SEA. And although I’ve enjoyed a number of seafaring games on Big Fish, none have quite had what I was imagining. This one has it.

There are so many wonderful things about this game, I don’t dare try to cover all of them here, so let’s take some things for granted.

We have *GORGEOUS GRAPHICS, CUTSCENES to die for, PERFECT BLEND of SOUNDS, GREAT HOS (PROGRESSIVE SILHOUETTE – and CHALLENGING ones at that), ORIGINAL & INTRIGUING PUZZLES & MINI-GAMES. A STORY that promises to be MORE THAN the RESCUE girlfriend, (a MALE LEAD for the blokes), and UNBEARABLY ADORABLE DOLPHIN HELPERS. QUICK SKIP, DIRECTIONAL HINT, INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP, JOURNAL with REPLAYABLE videos.

To my mind DOLPHINS are the perfect choice, because they are universally loved by everyone and are CUTE WITHOUT THE SCHMALTZ.
So, I’m already TOTALLY SOLD on this game, and we haven’t even mentioned the EXTRAS.

Bonus Content Review *****

BONUS CHAPTER, of course. STRATEGY GUIDE, the usual GALLERY ITEMS and...
SEAWORLD

This consists of your ALBUM of COLLECTIBLE SEA CREATURES that you have found throughout the game, with a little info on each.

Your AQUARIUM which you can decorate with items bought with your COLLECTIBLE SEA SHELLS.

The DOLPHIN POOL where you can FEED & PLAY WITH your dolphin using some more of those COLLECTIBLE SEA SHELLS.

These sea shells are assorted colours and shapes, and you get different numbers of them as you go.

ACHIEVEMENTS (22)

Separate UNDERSEA environment for your trophies, including one for COLLECTING TURTLES. These guys are similar to each other, and start out easy to find, then all of a sudden get sneaky.

HOW COULD YOU NOT LOVE THIS GAME?

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 4, 13 2:37 AM
There is really nothing to add to the excellent reviews already posted. I liked the game very much:
-tremendously detailed and beautiful graphics/artwork.
-clever HOS.
-nice puzzles, some a bit too easy.
-good voiceovers and music.
-nice interactive map.

The idea of collecting shells to actually use is a nice touch, and I like the idea of the dolphin actually being an integral part of the game. Takes it beyond the "dress up" concept.

Again, I don't mean to pick on this particular dev, but the screensavers/wallpapers (no matter how "gorgeous"), the concept art , and the idea of downloading music from a game (does anyone ever really do this??) do not add one cent of value to the game for me. The bonus game is what adds true value to CEs, since devs these days seem to be at a total loss to come up with any other interesting features.

But it's a very fine game that is beautifully presented, well told, and fun to play!!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Jul 4, 13 2:55 AM
Memory loss, sea creatures, and naturally the villain oh my! This is one splendid game, and I am truly enjoying it. Blam did a superior job with this game. I am truly looking forward to the rest of it.

Story: Poor Marcus gets cold cocked off of a cliff which did look like it was from Vasco. I think it is jealousy. He ends up on a tiny island and with the help of a whistle a dolphin helps him to town. There he meets which seems like Delores uncle who tells him to go see Delores who might be able to jog his memory. And so the journey begins!

Graphics: Absolutely gorgeous! Big kudos to the art team.

Hint system: Not sure didn't use yet.

Map: It is a jump map

Mini games: Not too hard or easy. Just nicely challenging

Music: Very pretty and fits the game beautifully

Voice actors: Extremely well done. They picked the voices just right for the characters they are playing.

All in all big kudos to Blam for a game exceptionally well done!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 4, 13 4:56 AM
First, I want to say what a great job everyone has done on the reviews. Shout Out to all the great reviewers!

I won't list all the great details in the game...as everyone else has done a wounderful job already. I like this game very much. I think the graphics and animations are absolutely beautiful!

I really love all the extra's this game had to offer's. I'm glad to add this addition to my library of game. This is a buy for me! And everyone should try this beauty!

"Happy Anniversary Developers on your 10th game"!

I rate this game: "Fine Swine"

“These are my terms" for hogs, Ihogs, Frogs & Adventure games.

“FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

“PIGLET”
Good game. I like these little gems! This game is for true lovers of these types of games.

“PORK BELLY”
May be a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.

“TROTTERS”
Don't run away with this pig’s foot. LOL

“PIG DOWN”
Rolling in the mud! Don’t go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 4, 13 6:11 AM
After reading all the glowing reviews, I was looking forward to playing this new game. But after 10 minutes, I was reminded of the reason I rarely, if ever, buy a game from this developer.

Every single time you click on pretty much anything, you get the worse-than-useless comment 'I can use something here'. This is just a completely redundant and pointless piece of information which is repeated incessantly

Since it's clearly obvious on many occasions that you have to use something, I cannot see why it's necessary to have this comment in the first place. Either say something useful or let the player work out if and when they have an item they can use.

So in spite of all the positives, this is the one negative that I'm not prepared to tolerate for any game. No buy here.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 4, 13 6:36 AM
angelfish106 wrote:After reading all the glowing reviews, I was looking forward to playing this new game. But after 10 minutes, I was reminded of the reason I rarely, if ever, buy a game from this developer.

Every single time you click on pretty much anything, you get the worse-than-useless comment 'I can use something here'. This is just a completely redundant and pointless piece of information which is repeated incessantly

Since it's clearly obvious on many occasions that you have to use something, I cannot see why it's necessary to have this comment in the first place. Either say something useful or let the player work out if and when they have an item they can use.

So in spite of all the positives, this is the one negative that I'm not prepared to tolerate for any game. No buy here.

Yes, you reminded me just now that I too found this non-helpful "hint" quite annoying when I clicked on something and was told "I can use something here".

However, the rest of the game is wonderfully done, so this one thing isn't going to stop me from buying this game.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jul 4, 13 6:49 AM
Quite a nice game. I must say though, and I suspect I'm in the minority here, it seems that all games now include 'collectables', achievements and a little helper. I personally find them an irritation and a distraction. A nice balance of HOGs and puzzles with some challenge are ideal for me.It just seems to be all padding and not much substance. I think I'll pass.

MaryEl
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by MaryEl on Jul 4, 13 7:53 AM
Seems like a nice game, however I found that every time I turned around I was fixing a machine or looking for an item to fix a machine. I think the storyline gets lost with all the "mechanical" things needing fixing. Not my kind of game even tho I really enjoyed the other Fierce Tales game. Looking forward to Thursday's offering.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jul 4, 13 8:52 AM
I really enjoyed the game play. I was surprised that the demo ended as I was totally engrossed. Some of the graphics are stunning while others...the characters in particular not so much. The music didn't annoy me. This will be a must have for me...although I am not sure if I will get the CE as I don't use the "bonus features" and most "bonus gameplay" is not that great....A definite SE purchase though....

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on Jul 4, 13 12:00 PM
cbtx wrote:Again, I don't mean to pick on this particular dev, but the screensavers/wallpapers (no matter how "gorgeous"), the concept art , and the idea of downloading music from a game (does anyone ever really do this??) do not add one cent of value to the game for me. The bonus game is what adds true value to CEs, since devs these days seem to be at a total loss to come up with any other interesting features.

But it's a very fine game that is beautifully presented, well told, and fun to play!!

I agree, cbtx. I have no interest in paying for wallpaper, screensavers and music that I will never look at or listen to. For me, bonus content should equate to a strategy guide and an additional chapter that isn't integral to the main story.

I came across a lot of puzzles while playing the demo. Most of them very doable but I prefer games that are more HO/Adventure rather than HO/Puzzles,

I will probably buy the SE version when it becomes available.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 4, 13 12:22 PM
Happy 4th fellow pond pals! I have the first Fierce Tales and really liked that one. Waiting a year for the second in the series was worth the wait. Very nice graphics and game play. Music nice (which is saying a lot for me since I usually turn it way down). Voice overs, scenery and sound FX are very nice and appropriate for the setting.

I didn't use the hint, so I don't know how that works yet. SG is very helpful and easy to follow. Naturally, the jump map is awesome and most appreciated since you do re-visit areas often. I like the change up in HOG vs silhouettes and the need to find items. Items are not as easy to find as you may think..you really have to look hard for quite a few, but at least the SG shows you where they are in case you miss them. The games are not extremely difficult, but do take some time and thought to complete.

The only "minor" complaint I have is that the HOGs are a bit messy. There is a lot of background junk that just clutters the screen. Oh yes, and not listing all the chapters in the game. It's the little things that count. Anyway, with the special today, I am getting this one and another that I have been holding on to (both CE's), even though I have sort of sworn off CE games. Well worth the money today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Personally, I feel this will appeal to all level of players. Thanks for the reviews.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Jul 4, 13 7:22 PM
Based on the full-hour demo played on my Mac, I have a few comments to make about this game.

Good things:
- lovely graphics in the scenes
- good voice acting
- interesting morphing stuff which I do like
- good map
- game play fairly basic and easy to follow, so hints not needed
- collectibles and achievements were reasonable (although a few things like turtles were teeny tiny)
- music and wallpapers were available at the beginning of the game

Not so good things:
- story was so old and cliched, with one of the characters acting embarrassingly like a little kid
- we have to see the girl being abused by boyfriend - thanks but no thanks
- steampunk has been done so many times
- filling the aquarium and dolphin pond did not interest me at all
- the puzzles I encountered weren't explained very well at all e.g. getting the marble through the maze, picking up pearls and reaching the exit - I picked up all the pearls but never did find the exit, and it wasn't marked in any way I could see
- some HOs were very linear - find one thing that lets you find the next thing - that got a bit tedious and wasn't fun for me
- repetitive comments as others have mentioned - I can't imagine another few hours of "I could use something here" over and over

Must be the weather, but I'm just not in the mood for this game. Not a buy for me, I'm afraid.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 5, 13 4:15 AM
Valdy wrote:
angelfish106 wrote:After reading all the glowing reviews, I was looking forward to playing this new game. But after 10 minutes, I was reminded of the reason I rarely, if ever, buy a game from this developer.

Yes, you reminded me just now that I too found this non-helpful "hint" quite annoying when I clicked on something and was told "I can use something here".

However, the rest of the game is wonderfully done, so this one thing isn't going to stop me from buying this game.

I'm glad it's not just me! I'd rather it said 'nothing to do here' or 'try looking elsewhere' or anything else other than something which is glaringly obvious and an unnecessary irritation. I must be getting cranky in my old age but I find it so annoying; it turns me off this devs games as they use it in every HOPA they release. But since I seem to be in the minority, I doubt the dev would be bothered! Anyway, I bought Myths of the World in the sale instead, which I thoroughly enjoyed

Go to: