WinoPoet
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Which is the greater penalty?

[Post New]by WinoPoet on Jul 4, 13 11:19 AM
Is it worse to take a long time finding that last item or to use a hint??

Sorry for my ignorance if there is a place to read the game rules, etc. I haven't found it...

Happy Fourth everyone!

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Re:Which is the greater penalty?

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Jul 4, 13 11:27 AM
Hello WinoPoet,

I'm also pretty new to the game, but I'm really enjoying it!

From what I can tell, you earn bonus points for different aspects of how you play each scene. You get points if you find items in alphabetical order, you gain points if you play quickly, and you lose skill points if you use the hint button.

With that in mind, I would say that the amount of points you lose, depends on your strategy for the particular round.

If you go through the scene really quickly, and only have one item left, it would likely be worth it to click on the hint button. However, if it's taking a bit longer to finish the scene, but you haven't used any hints, it would likely be better to take a bit longer to find the item.

I hope this helps!

bfgDeveron

L_Amour
Clownfish
Clownfish
713 Posts

[Post New]by L_Amour on Jul 4, 13 4:08 PM
Today I found out, when you get a mist-penalty for tapping wrong, you can already tap the hint while the mist hasn't gone yet.

@winopoet: I also didn't figure out yet what's best: use or not use a hint in case you can't find an item......loosing time cost points, as well as using a hint cost points ....
With all that different kinds of bonuspoint you can earn in a scene, and because of that our score differs at every play, it's very hard to tell, I agree!

Maybe there's somebody who can tell us what's best?

WinoPoet
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by WinoPoet on Jul 5, 13 10:47 AM
Yeah, why is it so hard to get actual instructions??

L_Amour
Clownfish
Clownfish
713 Posts

[Post New]by L_Amour on Jul 5, 13 5:21 PM
To keep the game exciting and to make the board alive?
My experience: that's what most social games do ...so please don't blame Big Fish
We wouldn't have met eachother here, if we knew all the answers on forehand, would we? We can't communicte via the game, so here is the social part

WinoPoet
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by WinoPoet on Jul 6, 13 9:36 AM
Very good point. And, no blame intended...!
Can't believe how much I love this game!
Certainly glad to hv met u too, L

Elinu
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
480 Posts

[Post New]by Elinu on Jul 7, 13 11:19 AM
As near as I can remember (and I'm posting because I can't get on right now -grr), if you use no hints, you get a skill bonus of 80,000, which goes down to 40,000 if you use one hint, and 20,000 if you use two, and then I think it drops to zero skill at some point after that rather than continuing to dwindle by halves.
I wish there was a way to get a hint for a specific object, but I've been forced to abandon an alphabetic stretch and leave out an item or two rather than use a hint in the middle and get something I can already find without a problem.
There are a lot of points for finishing quickly, but I haven't worked out an exact formula. I usually use a hint if I've spent more than 5 seconds on a single clue, and if you hit it early enough, you can even continue a time-bonus streak, on the non-blitz levels, at least, and getting a 12x bonus seems to earn a lot more than the 40k penalty.

Happy playing!

Ps on the rounds where you do one object at a time, you have to pretty much decide instantly if you want to use a hint, because time will run out before the object is revealed and you have a chance to select it.

Go to: