bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: Serpent Flame

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 5, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of House of 1000 Doors: Serpent Flame ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the House of 1000 Doors: Serpent Flame page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: Serpent Flame

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 5, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 5, 13 12:37 AM
Want to check out how the CE version of this game went down with players?

Then just click the link here!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 5, 13 12:54 AM
'ello, Baikal, and everyone...

One thing is for sure: it certainly makes sense to have just the one game forum in future when a game first comes out as a CE, because most everyone has already said everything they wanted to say about a game in the CE forum.

The game has 6 chapters.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

Your Diary is at the left. Just below the diary is the Menu button.

At the right is the HINT button, which takes 30 seconds to refill in Easy mode and 1 minute to refill in Hard mode.

Also at the right is your MAP, which can be used to jump.

The Map shows you where you are, where actions are available, and the locations of the Beyond Objects, of which there are 40 to be found (assuming that the morphing objects are part of the SE).

On the Map, when you see a green Eye over a scene, it means there is a morphing object to be found. Once you have found it, the eye disappears.

You can delick both the locations that show available actions and the locations with a Beyond object. The Map also shows you in the top left-hand corner how many morphing objects you have found so far.

If I remember correctly, there are 2 different HOS (hidden object scenes): The one where you find objects from a list, and which is partly interactive, and the one where you put objects back into the scene.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes a good minute to fill in Easy mode.

--- --- ---

When playing the demo, I was a litte disappointed with the game. To be honest, I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement when it came to gameplay or the story. And apart from the morphing objects, I didn't see anything exciting in the game that made it worth getting the CE, and was going to wait for the SE.

However, I did get the CE in the BOGOF sale that happened a while back, and found the whole of the game far more interesting and fun than I did when I played the demo.
Can't remember whether I liked the bonus game. Can't remember whether I played the bonus game. But I do remember that I liked the game better than I did when playing just the demo.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 5, 13 3:05 AM
Very Dramatic & Entertaining

BASED ON DEMO

This is the third of the 1000 Doors series, and looking to my mind to be the best. It’s got ALIENS, TIME TRAVEL & FLAMING SERPENTS bigger than buildings, and that’s just the INTRODUCTORY CHAPTER.

We are brought into THE HOUSE by a stranger just in time to save our life, in a present that is TOTAL CHAOS and disaster. This time the house is RECOGNISABLY HOME, returning to the opening LOCATIONS from the first game. Our CHARACTERS from the first game are back as well.

As with the other games, we must enter 4 DOORS that act as PORTALS (in this case, TIME PORTALS) to different stories we must make right. Our first door takes us to the TIME of the CONQUISITADORS, and the destruction they brought with them. Later, we can look forward to the FUTURE.

Great GRAPHICS, very DRAMATIC & EXCITING CUT SCENES, plenty of NOISY DESTRUCTION. The tempo is VERY HIGH ENERGY and tense.

GAMEPLAY consists of HO SCENES, both INTERACTIVE LIST and MISPLACED ITEMS.OBJECTS can be clearly seen in the HOS, even when a LOCATION is dark.

I found the PUZZLES mostly not too difficult, although one in the demo was very tough. The ADVENTURE (getting around) component of the game will get you thinking but is NOT IMPOSSIBLE. The HINT takes you to the INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP.

Nice surprise, the SE of the game retains the BEYOND OBJECTS (morphing items) to collect. Remember, once you’ve finished the world behind one door, you’ll not get a second chance at those.

What I’ve seen tells me we are in for 1000 Doors roller coaster ride, and I for one can't get enough of them!

I recommend this game!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jul 5, 13 3:31 AM
I played the demo of the CE, and have been anxiously awaiting the release of the SE. I was so excited to see it released in time for the 4th of July sale! I'm a huge fan of the first two 1000 Door offerings, and I agree with JustTheFacts that so far this looks to be the best of the three. In the first two, the house mysteriously appears in locations on Earth. In Serpent Flame, the house is somewhere in a dimension above and beyond, and your travels are to vastly different locations in time and space.

(Continued)
Well, I'm terribly disappointed. I've completed two chapters and started the third only to discover that many of the HOS are picture lists of items that need to be inserted into the scene. Apparently the devs are trying to make HOS more palatable for all the players who complain so bitterly about them without regard for those of us who play HOPAs for the hidden objects!! It doesn't occur to them that some of us hate puzzles, but we still have to play or wait to skip them whether we want to or not!

I don't know if I'm going to finish playing this game. It seems that lately I regret buying a game more often than not.

Edited on 07/05/2013 at 11:06:14 PM PST

bailey93
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by bailey93 on Jul 5, 13 5:45 AM
I just finished the SE demo and I did not have any beyond objects. The walk through shows they a there but are not. I even uninstalled and re-installed to see if something happen in download, still not there.

I still enjoyed the demo, and found that the hint system and map are very helpful. I played in the casual mode so I can get into as much of the demo as possible.

It is a buy for me, although I haven't decided if a bonus chapter and beyond objects are worth the cost even with the sale. I have a lot of free coupons to use, which at the end of the month I find I have to pick some game or lose them. With all the CE's that come out it would be nice if we could use two coupons for a CE.

kglen1
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by kglen1 on Jul 5, 13 4:31 PM
I agree about that! Or two gift codes which I have. It would be great to use those for a CE. As far as the game goes, I've done some of the demo and it seems like a keeper. I've played the previous 1000 Doors games and have enjoyed them. This one seems to be a good one, too.

Edited on 07/05/2013 at 4:33:43 PM PST

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 5, 13 7:17 PM
I really didn't like it. I trialled the CE and was bored after about ten minutes. I quit after 25 and didn't even bother to review it, because I know that, no matter how helpful my review actually is, everyone will vote in unhelpful because they don't like my opinion. Disagree with the unhelpful thing? Well, this happened to my reviews of:

Living Legends: Frozen Beauty

Calavera: Day of the Dead

To conclude, I hated this game... I can't go in to much detail because I forgot the game quickly, but I was getting stuck a bit and the story, although better than the last two, didn't thrill me. I mean, I enjoyed it, but it didn't thrill me like, say, Chimeras: Tune of Revenge

That's my "review." Maybe this would be better going in the comments section? I dunno. Help me out here, Mods!

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jul 5, 13 7:57 PM
Better to put honest negative reviews here; they are appreciated just as much as the honest positive ones.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 6, 13 4:08 AM
this is a GREAT game, beta tested it, and we give it a 4 out of 5 . justy DEMO it and you will find it is a great game.-------------doug & lisa.............

caseypup
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by caseypup on Jul 8, 13 8:01 AM
I thought this was the best and the longest game I have gotten in a while!! Never ending....and I only got the SE which was much better than the CE of Haunted Legends - Vox which I felt was a total waste. wish I had bought the CE of this one instead....

Fifiluna614
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Fifiluna614 on Jul 21, 13 7:30 PM
I thought this game was great until the ending: there wasn't one. You just put a piece of something on something and BOOM, the game is over. You're even told to come and talk to someone after you have placed this last piece, but you're never given the chance. Maybe the bonus chapter in the CE gives you better closure to the story: some of you other Fishies would have to comment on that. The abrupt ending to the SE is very disappointing.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 24, 13 1:54 PM
Sorry about the late response, but the new Game Manager is a pain in the pinfeathers. This
latest installment of the House series did not disappoint. I would recommend it, but as an SE. Try it you might like it. If not, it was free.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Jul 26, 13 7:04 PM
I've played all the House games but this one had the most adventure in it...at least to me. Everything was great. Colors, HOS's, so glad there was a map.
I liked this game alot but was very disappointed that the beyond objects were not there. If they had been, I would have rated this an almost perfect game.

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Jul 28, 13 7:46 AM
Just finished de SE. Not more than out of five, I'm afraid.

I really liked the first 1000 Doors (Family Secrets, SE) though I wasn't impressed by the main character, Kate. The game had wonderful settings and interesting stories.
The second installment (Zoroaster, CE; I ask myself why I did not wait for the SE though) was ok but I liked it less.
This game, Serpent Flame, started out pleasant (I demoed the CE trial and decided to pass on this one because I wasn't grabbed enough to purchase the CE), but I'm just dissatisfied with a couple of things:

The choice of the four "worlds" was rather boring IMO - ancient Egypt, ok, ancient Rome, ok (but why not ... let's say London fog/ fin de siècle instead of two "antiquities"), medieval France, nice.... but I just don't like these contrived Alien culture settings in a game. For me it's so darn arduous having to deal with strange mechanisms and never knowing what I'm doing and why.
What Family Secrets did right - personal fates! interesting characters! hasn't been repeated here, I think. This triggers two questions: Is saving the world really that boring? And if so, why should I do it?

At least this one was part of the BOGOF sale two weeks ago. That's the nicest comment on this game.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Nov 6, 13 8:39 PM
Just finished playing all 3 "House of 1000 Doors:" Enjoyed all 3. The somewhat abrupt ending did not bother me since I was expecting it. Kate has something to do and when she completes her goal the journey ends (for now).
•Chapter 1: The Tower
•Chapter 2: The Air
•Chapter 3: The Water
•Chapter 4: The Fire
•Chapter 5: The Earth
•Chapter 6: The Light
The 'jump map' and Hints were great & don't forget there is a Walkthrough

The only complaint is the mini challenge to find the morphing objects just for fun, I liked that in Palm of Zoroaster....didn't find them all and lost nothing but had fun trying.

The game played smoothly, graphics and colors were nice and music got turned down since it made me sleepy LOL, nice and relaxing
This one I'm giving out of 5

Edited on 11/06/2013 at 8:42:05 PM PST

VERY LONG GAME - Good Value

[Post New]by Mystery_Fan on Jan 1, 14 11:12 AM
Worthy of 2013 Best Story game award from Big Fish.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Sep 21, 14 4:12 PM
I loved this game! The story was interesting, the graphics were great, the puzzles and hidden object scenes were challenging and engaging. The map was interactive, so you could jump from place to place and it would let you know where the current activity was. I liked the variety in the different sections you had to go to in time and in the places, which kept me more entertained than being in the same place the whole game. It was a good, long, game-play, as well. The only thing that keeps me from giving it a 10 out of 10 was the abrupt ending. It just ended, without any closure in the main character's dialogue or interactions with other characters, or answering any questions about how she was part of the whole picture, even after she was told it would be revealed to her. I am guessing that part was in the CE, so if it was, that is fine...I still enjoyed it and give it a 9 out of 10.

Go to: