bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Stray Souls: Stolen Memories Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 6, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Stray Souls: Stolen Memories Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Stray Souls: Stolen Memories Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Stray Souls: Stolen Memories Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 6, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Jul 6, 13 12:53 AM
First I would like to say that the picture only guide stinks! They did this in an MCF game and we griped about it now here it is again! We pay good money for these CE's (yes today was a sale but as a rule), so would it kill someone to do some typing? I can take screen shots too and copy them to a book. But this is one of my all time favorite series/games.

Story: Well Krusty the clown is at it again kidnapping a little girl and the mom goes saves her daughter. And the while the clown turns the residents into wooden dolls.

Graphics: Superbly done. Kudos to the art team.

Music: This team always has excellent music and it fits perfectly with the game.

Mini games: Not too hard or easy just right

H0GS: Not at all hard to find

All in all kudos to the team on a game extremely well done!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 6, 13 1:34 AM
Played the whole demo !! (very seldom for me), casual

- 2 modes, casual, expert

- Integrated SG which shows 14 chapters and 4 in the extra play !! Only pictures in the SG, which I don't fancy too much....

- Voice overs

- Notebook

- Shortly after starting the game you get an interactive map that goes in your notebook

- You get back, after a little while, the voodoo doll hint , no voice over for it, rather a shame

- You get a doll house, as in the other game, you add figurines in and get to know more about the hero's story

- H0, regular interactive ones, or you have to drag objects to find an item, or you have to find 12 of the same items...not too easy for these, items are small and background is dark

- Good, not over difficult mini games

- Hint refills quickly and is useful outside H0 (takes 2 minutes in expert mode)

- Skip button fills quickly too (casual)

- Good graphics

You're looking, with your daughter, for your disappeared husband. You end up in a creepy motel, your DH runs away with your DD and you then travel in a creepy world, full of scary puppets and clowns. Lots of actions to perform, a good game, a little too dark color wise but may be it can be adjusted, didn't check. A buy for me, especially with the sale

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 6, 13 2:47 AM
I like this Dev very much so I bought the game. If it had not been on sale I may have waited for the SE. That said, it is a very good game. It is not too hard but it may require a little thought as to what to do next in some cases so it is not too easy either. The art is very good. Puzzles are good. I play Casual.

What I don't like so much is the very dark theme involving a child. I have started not buying games in which children are hurt or abused so this one is a bit of a Guilty pleasure for me. If the child had not been taken by her Father but by the Clown (maybe Dad is the clown?) I would not have bought it. I also don't care for picture SGs. The two reasons I buy CEs are for the extra play and the Guide. I won't know about the extra play for a while but the Guide could be better. I admit though that a picture Guide can be understood no matter what language the player speaks/reads so that is the good thing about it.

I hope that I enjoy it just a little more as I progress but, as usual, this Dev delivers a good game.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 6, 13 2:53 AM
This is a good sequel to the first game of the series, which I would recommend playing first. Not totally necesssary ---- but recommended, just to get a better flow of the story. (which is a good one)

The graphics are nice enough ---- not the best I've ever seen, but nice. The puzzles are, once again, very, very easy. The voiceovers are nicely done, but the music is very drab, unremarkable, and on a seemingly short loop.

The CE package is a mystery, as all the content is locked until the game is purchased ---- big mistake by the devs. Show us what we are getting!! On the game page, however, HD wallpapers and concept art are promised. (Hooray! )
However, the Strategy Guide indicates a game of considerable length with what appears to be an intriguing bonus section. And the SG itself is lengthy, and is of the type that gives you step by step numbered pictures which shows you exactly what to do, and when to do it. So they stick to "guiding" you along and giving you a series of "nudges", rather than "hand-holding", and I like that.

Overall, a nice sequel that is fun to play.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jul 6, 13 3:07 AM
I had high expectations mainly because I did enjoy the first game. However I am very disapointed with the game mechanics and lack of extras. After having played the demo (4 chapters out of 14) within the hour, I realised that the chapters were short and by doing the math, game-time would not exceed the three hour mark. Plus four bonus chapters and that would give me approx. 4 hours of game play. Too short for a CE and without the extras like Collectables, achievements of morphing items, just not worth the big bucks.

However I would like to say, BRAVO to the art department, good graphics and great creepy images that may just keep some people awake tonight.

A really standard game without any surprises. Alot of seek and find and generally very easy to play. I will wait for the SE.

Sniet
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Sniet on Jul 6, 13 3:07 AM
28 minutes played, nice to play, but what is a hidden object game without hidden object scenes? An adventure game?

Sorry, no buy for me :-(

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 6, 13 3:18 AM
Afternoon, all...

There are 14 chapters plus 4 Bonus chapters.

There are 2 gameplay modes: Casual and Expert.
In Casual mode, the Hint button takes 30 seconds to refill, in Expert mode, it takes 2 minutes to refill. You can change the difficulty setting any time during the game.

There is a choice of a custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

There is a "Low Quality" setting for older machines.

The Menu button is at the left. The SG (strategy guide) sits right underneath it.

Also at the left is the house, in which you will add different figures during the game.

At the right is the Hint button, and your Journal.

Inside the Journal you will find a Map, which will be added shortly into the game. The Map shows you where you are, where you can do and can't do things, and can be used to jump to different locations.

Also at the right is your little helper (remember him from last time). I find that - at least in Casual mode - he gives advice too often, and always states the obvious. Although he is cute, I am not happy with that kind of hand-holding.

The Inventory can be locked to stay on top, or unlocked to move below until needed.

I have only come across 1 HOS (hidden object scenes) in the 50 minutes I played. This one was partly interactive in that you had to zoom into a close-up to find the objects shown in white text, whereas the ones in yellow text font are non-interactive.

Forgot to mention that, once you are in a HOS, you can't back out of it again. You have to finish it before being able to leave the HOS.

Puzzles can be skipped. The Skip button takes 30 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

This game, like one of their other games "Sins of the Fathers" or something like that, has your characters popping up unexpectedly. Don't really like it, because the sudden appearance keeps scaring me. LOL

The graphics are very well done. I got a feeling of deja vu when I played the demo, because it all looked so familiar to me.

I like the gameplay and the story is interesting. However, I have not come across anything within the main game that gives me that little extra I am looking for in a CE (like those great extras we got with the latest "Fierce Tales" game).

Therefore, I will wait for the SE to come out before buying the game.

Edited to add that I changed my mind and did buy the CE after all, especially at the price it's been offered this weekend.

Edited on 07/06/2013 at 6:59:38 PM PST

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 6, 13 3:53 AM
Well after getting out of bed at 3:30am, because of having a terrible nightmare , what was on the BF site, that I just had to try, this creepy game ..lol.
Instead of dreaming of pretty flowers, with long stems creeping into my bed, and shooting there stems down my throat, so I couldn't breath, tonight will probably be clowns or voo doo dolls .

I don't remember playing the first game, will have to check my account, but I did enjoy the demo, of this one, only had 1 H0 scene in the demo, so will wait to read more reviews, to find out if the game is more adventure, than H0.
Also I didn't see any collectables, or achivements, so I may wait for the SE, even though there is a sale, this just didn't feel CE worthy, IMHO .
It didn't throw me off my chair with excitement, but the story is engaging enough, for me to want to know more, plus I LOVE traveling to different worlds, especially creepy ones ( no sleep tonight either )...if I keep this up .
I am a H0G lover, so a lot depends on other fishies reviews, if I get the SE or not, but most likley, will buy it .
I think this is one of those games, that you have to try for yourself, it doesn't have the bells and whistles, that a CE should have, but it has a very engaging story, thats worth a good SE game, IMHO .

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 6, 13 4:16 AM
I'm not a big fan of this devs style of HOPA; I always find the graphics a bit on the grainy side, although this might be improved by choosing the w/s option which stops the game being stretched to fit a w/s monitor (but then I get the black bars down either side). And the gameplay follows a fairly set routine in all their HOPA's, so nothing is really much of a surprise.

Having said that, I enjoyed the first Stray Souls game and this one looks even creepier. You get the same little knitted helper who points you in the right direction, a map with 'things to do' locations and the SG which has no script but pictures showing how to proceed. Not overly helpful but enough clues if you get stuck. And like the first game, you get the dolls to tell the background story.

I played in Advanced mode and there were no sparkles anywhere. But you get told pretty much exactly what you need to move past an obstacle, which takes a lot of the challenge out of the game. It seems devs either give too much info or none at all (i.e. Thursdays CE with it's useless 'I can use something here' comment).

I came across 2 HOS in the demo, one with a mix of items (some interactive) and one which was find 12 of something. There were more puzzles than HOS but mostly they were reasonably easy once I worked out what I was meant to accomplish (the wine glasses took me ages!). It's a bit of a shame that there don't seem to be any collectibles/morphing objects but it's not a deal-breaker.

Normally I would wait for the SE but the sale means I can get a CE for only £1 more, which in my book is worth it for the extra gameplay. This is a nice game with a good story, not too taxing on my brain, not too many HOS, some fun puzzles and reasonable graphics. A buy for me

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jul 6, 13 5:40 AM
Sniet wrote:28 minutes played, nice to play, but what is a hidden object game without hidden object scenes? An adventure game?

Sorry, no buy for me :-(

I quite agree......not worth CE sale price to me either....hardly any hidden object scenes? I will pass on this one....don't find the graphics that great either...but to those of you who like this game, enjoy!

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Jul 6, 13 5:42 AM
The graphics are lovely but the game play is not. Play is very linear -- you need it, you find it, you use it. There is also a great deal of hand-holding, so there is little for the grey cells to do. And where are all the extras that usually accompany a CE -- collectibles, morphing objects, achievements? I don't understand why this game is classified as a CE. And that Strategy Guide! I can only attribute that to creative laziness.

I will definitely not buy this game as a CE. Not sure if it's even SE worthy.

rrrachel
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by rrrachel on Jul 6, 13 6:25 AM
I was waiting for this game! And it does not disappoint me. The game is great! The second part I liked more than the first, although I thought it was impossible.

I will not write spoilers. But the ending of this game is gorgeous.
The bonus content contains bonus gameplay (really interesting story), SG, minigames, movies, concept art and music!

That's right, that the devs did not give movies replay (at bonus content), until the whole game was finished. I am very curious and definitely view all movies before playing... So I would spoil all the fun.
I was so impressed by the story: for me Stray Souls more movie than a game. The game is a little HOG-scenes. However, for a game with such a thought-out plot, they are really unnecessary.

Throughout the game, I did not understand what is the connection between the first Stray Souls and the second. Besides knitted assistant and a clown of course *lol*
But CE-part explained everything. It is amazing how interesting are connected parts of Stray Souls series. Truly everything in this world is connected ...
Many games can produce unrelated parts, but here I can see the love and imagination of the developers have thought the second part, and that it was going on, and a separate story. Bravo!

In the bonus content you can replay the mini-games! And developers are once again did a very smart! When I played, I skipped a mini-game because I want to know the final ... how cool that the developers have thought about this and were given the opportunity to replay them. This game is worth the money, definitely!

I rarely use game's wallpapers on the desktop, but in this case, I DO!
In the game we are prepare knitted assistant for a fight with a clown, putting it in a special garment!!!!!!!
He's SO cute wearing a cape and a sword! Of course I chose the wallpaper with it =))))

I think more than once reconsider wonderful concept art and replay the game to relive a touching finale of this game.
It's more than a game! Thanks to the developers!

anabel1566
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by anabel1566 on Jul 6, 13 7:29 AM
I think the above folks did an awesome job with reviewing the specifics of this game. However, to me, this is just your ordinary ole' adventure game. There is nothing spectacular about this game. There is way to much hand-holding. I always play on casual because I don't want to "fry" my brain but I would like to at least "challenge" it. Not with this game. This is not worthy of CE status. As mentioned above, no bells and whistles and strategy guide with "only" pictures is of little to no help.

I have seen far worse games than this and I have seen far more superior games than this. Ordinary is the only word I can describe it with.

Down the road, I will purchase it with a PCC.....for free, it's worth it.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jul 6, 13 7:40 AM
I agree with what most of the reviewers said about this game in addition I hate when a journal/dairy does not record the clues. What is the point of it? Fortunately, most of the clues (so far) are used quickly but if I have to stop playing and come back to it later or the next day, I may not remember that and if I don't write it down, it is gone. Writing down the clues is ridiculous when you have a journal/log book/dairy in the game.

I hate it when there is no reset button on them (not sure if this is the case with this game). Especially when there is "changing so all are lit up" types. Eventually I use the SG for help and if there is no reset button, it is to no avail.

If it wasn't for the sale, I probably would have waited for the SE to come out. Yes a PCC would have made it free but for $1.40 more I have the SG, the bonus chapters and 3 punches. Not a bad deal IMHO.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jul 6, 13 9:25 AM
Just finished the demo so this review is based on that.

At first, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. Being only 604.89MB, it didn't seem long enough to me to be considered a CE. But after playing a while, I did warm up to it. The voodoo doll is nice but more voice overs from it would have been better. I loved the graphics and the music and the game play got better as I went along. Too many HOS's at times bothered me, even though I like them, and this game didn't have but one for the time I play, which was the entire trial.

Not sure if this is worth a CE price, even at the discount sale, for me. When I have five other CE's knocking at my door, I have to consider all before I buy. Limited funds, you see.

All said, this is a good game but you would lhave to evaluate it on your own. The HOS I played was easy and fun, puzzles easy enough for me in saying that none gave me a headache for looking or figuring out. If the bonus game/games, are worth it then the CE could be a real buy. I am sorely tempted to get this.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 6, 13 11:19 AM
I liked the first Stray Souls and this one is fun too. Has a map, hints reload fast and like the puzzles and HOG's. Had fun playing the trial and hooked me with the story. With the sale going on will be a buy for me. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

debraljensen
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by debraljensen on Jul 6, 13 10:11 PM
I just love this game. Great graphics. Music is nice ( I usually turn it off )
The developers put a lot of thought into this game.
I have not once needed to check the guide yet for clues.

I bought it after playing it 30 minutes.
I don't think its to short
DJ

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jul 7, 13 6:18 AM
2nd in the Stray Souls series, still as good, as fun and sometimes a bit scary esp that hateful clown. Still with cutesy children, 3d graphics, great storyline, fun HOS and more mini puzzles.

Collect them all, and theres discount too!

Go to: