Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

Comments for Stray Souls: Stolen Memories Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 6, 13 1:07 AM
I was looking forward to this game, but I'm a little disappointed (maybe that's not quite the right word, but close-ish). You can't see what the bonus content is until you buy the game! I looked in the guide and it appears that there are several "chapters" of bonus game, but is there anything else, like achievements, morphing objects, collectibles, etc? I don't want/need wallpapers and the like, but it is weird not being able to see if there's any other usual CE stuff. I'd at least like to know what's in the bonus section before I buy it. Am I missing something, or is there no way to know other than buying the game?

Edited on 07/06/2013 at 1:29:45 AM PST

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

Re:Comments for Stray Souls: Stolen Memories Collector's Edition

[Post New]by read61 on Jul 6, 13 3:08 AM
I am with Imberis on this one - I enjoyed the first Stray Souls and was looking forward to this one, but apart from the strategy guide I wonder what makes this worth the extra for a CE.......how long is the bonus chapter? So far I have heard no mention of collectibles, achievements or morphs......will probable wait for the SE unless a good sale comes along! Also I remember MCF trying out the picture only guide, which I did not greatly care for. Maybe I will go and replay the first Stray Souls......

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 6, 13 3:35 AM
I think $8.39 for a CE is a good sale.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 6, 13 4:11 AM
I have found through the years, if a developer hides what you are getting, until after you buy the game, your first gut instinct as to why they did it, is usually right.... .
I don't know about anybody else, but I am not falling for it AGAIN, just MHO though.

For those that do buy, sight unseen, I guess we will find out, I didn't see any bells and whistles, during my demo, that would make this CE worthy .

Edited on 07/06/2013 at 4:13:02 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 6, 13 4:35 AM
Hm, MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT AS A CE. No collectables, awards etc - not even a true HOG, more like adv light with a few HOS thrown in for good measure. At least the first game had Beyond Objects.
Quite a good game as a SE. highly recommended for those of you with
pCCs itching to be used. Wish I had waited.
Cheers.
Edited to add - the Bonus Game play is a lot of fun and worthwhile, especially at the sale price.

Edited on 07/06/2013 at 8:44:21 AM PST

rrrachel
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by rrrachel on Jul 6, 13 5:41 AM
Yes, you're right. The game has no achievments or collected items.
But the game is great! Very nice art, charming music, and the main STORY!

Knitting Assistant adorable. I love it since the first part. Clown became even angrier, and the game more exciting.
The unusual ending made me say WOW! My heart was beating like mad, so I sympathized with the heroes!
But this was not yet final. After several actions was shown the final movie. This is the most touching moment in the history of gaming! I will not spoil anything, you have to see it with my own eyes!

It's definitely CE for me. It would be great if the game has achievments, but the story in this case is more important.
CE part tells how it all began! If you've played the first part, you get pleasure realize how interesting the story is intertwined between the first and second part. Once again, the final movie of the CE part made me say WOW!

Edited on 07/06/2013 at 7:55:27 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jul 6, 13 6:41 AM
I like the story, but I really hate the SG! I'm going to have to think about this for a bit, even with the sale. I buy CEs for the bonus and for the SG and I'm not sure this is worth it, as much as I like the story and want to know what happens next.

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Jul 6, 13 7:03 AM
I played through the demo, and while I enjoyed the story very much the SG, along with the lack of achievements, etc., was enough to deter me from buying this as a CE. When it's released as a SE I'll probably use a coupon on it. What were they thinking, doing the SG that way???

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 6, 13 7:34 AM
I never use the SG, but when I read someone's comment about the lack of text in it, I had a look. I didn't really mind the way the SG was done, just with pictures. It shows you step-by-step what you have to do next, so there is actually no need for text. But that's just how I felt about the SG.

I really like this game - it's the kind of game you want to play when Halloween comes around - but was disappointed that there were no extras in the main game. And then again, whenever I do have to look for extras in a CE, I usually forget about them, because I am so engrossed in the game itself. So, in the end, do those extras I have to find really matter to me. Perhaps not.

And I did like the fact that I only stumbled over 1 HOS in the 50 minutes I played the demo - especially since it was just a, more or less, straight forward HOS. I no longer care for stumbling over one HOS after another, and only enjoy them really when they are done the way ERS do their silhouette HOS, and as Blam! Games have done it in their latest game, again with silhouettes and highly interactive.

So... considering I really enjoyed the demo, I may just change my mind and get the CE after all. Maybe...

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jul 6, 13 7:36 AM
I like this game very much!

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jul 6, 13 7:46 AM
I was looking forward to this one, as I enjoyed the first very much. I thought the graphics could have been a lot better.Although I have not played Dollhouse in awhile, I think the graphics may have been better in the first one. I don't mind the strategy guide being in pictures, as the game appears to be quite linear and I doubt I'll need it too muc if at all. As they say, A picture is worth a thousand words. We've been spoiled by getting a lot of extras in our CEs like morphing objects, collectable, achievements, and characters to dress up. The 4 bonus chapers are tempting though. I have only played for 15 minutes, as I have a wedding to attend today. Maybe the last part of the demo will change my mind, CE or SE,there's the choice. CE has the sale, but SE would allow me to use a punch card. I was expecting much more from this game, and am a little disappointed. Oh well, off to the wedding.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jul 6, 13 7:57 AM
I'm liking this game very much. Its fun, there are lots of things to do, its creepy, and there are few or no hos. Yay !

I don't care much for achievements, morphing objects or collectibles as half the time if I'm engrossed in the game I forget to look for them and most of the time end up not finding them all even if I do look for them. LOL Wallpaper etc, I have no use for at all.

By the looks of the strategy guide this looks to be a long game so its a definite buy for me especially with the sale going on. I won't wait for the SE as I want the full game in all of its glory.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jul 6, 13 9:22 AM
mhatfie.....even though the SG has lots of chapters....they are short and so is the game. I've already finished it, including the bonus chapter.

I agree with you on achievements and collectibles.....forget to look and can't find lots of those anyway...

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jul 6, 13 9:30 AM
Has anyone played the entire game and can tell me if the bonus section is worth the price of a CE? This always has a lot to do in whether or not I buy a game. PM if the answer would affect the overall play for those still on the fence. Or don't want to know about the bonus sections.

Thanks!

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jul 6, 13 9:36 AM
Micha1234 wrote:mhatfie.....even though the SG has lots of chapters....they are short and so is the game. I've already finished it, including the bonus chapter.

I agree with you on achievements and collectibles.....forget to look and can't find lots of those anyway...

Same for me on achievements and collectibles. Sometimes I find them intersting and other times more annoying than fun. My opinion only.

Thanks for briefing us on the bonus game and chapters. Appreciate that a lot.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jul 6, 13 9:41 AM
Micha1234 wrote:mhatfie.....even though the SG has lots of chapters....they are short and so is the game. I've already finished it, including the bonus chapter.

Oh sorry to hear that it is short. Guess its good that I bought the CE then instead of the SE. I'm really enjoying this game, so maybe I'll play it slower to make it last longer.

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on Jul 6, 13 12:52 PM
Should I play the first game Stray Souls: Dollhouse first? I have it, just haven't played it yet.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Jul 6, 13 2:07 PM
I had swore off CE's for little while ,just till i could get free of some coupons,but then here comes Stray Souls and i gave in.I needed a new one to play.I still have 4 more CE's i want but will off on them for sure.I loved the frist one and i'm really into the story line on this one.Did get worried when one fishie posted that the supposed 4 chapter Bonus ,she only found 1 chapter,

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jul 6, 13 3:34 PM
Really liked the first Stray Souls and I enjoyed playing this one. Just finished. I found and played only 1 bonus chapter. For the sale price I thought is was worth it to buy the CE... for the regular price, probably would not have. My only negative was this game was way too short for a CE.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 6, 13 5:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. Sad to hear that the game is short!

I love collectibles and achievements if they're done well. I liked the collectibles in the latest Fierce Tales game, but I didn't really like the achievements, since they were same old, same old.

I wonder why this game is a CE if the only "extra" stuff is the regular length bonus gameplay? If this didn't come out during a sale, I wonder how many people would have bought it at regular price?

Edited on 07/06/2013 at 5:07:40 PM PST

Go to: