bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Farm Mystery: The Happy Orchard Nightmare

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jul 8, 13 12:37 AM
Hi everyone!

What do you think of Farm Mystery: The Happy Orchard Nightmare? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Farm Mystery: The Happy Orchard Nightmare page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Farm Mystery: The Happy Orchard Nightmare

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jul 8, 13 12:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

pjplanner
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by pjplanner on Jul 8, 13 1:14 AM
If you like uninteractive HOS after HOS which even tells you which item you will win, then this is game for you. If you like only one game mode with sparkles and hints (whether you want them or not), then this is the game for you. If you like so much hand holding that you don't have to think for yourself, then this is the game for you. I don't so it isn't for me and I didn't last the demo. (Graphics are good though). It was so dull because of the above that I forgot what the game was about so I can't comment on the storyline - sorry, definately a no-buy for me.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 8, 13 2:34 AM
No Frills, But Well Done

BASED ON DEMO

I don’t expect the EXPERTS will like this one at all, in fact, I ADVISE them DON’T BOTHER downloading. Not only is this game VERY EASY in EVERY ASPECT of GAMEPLAY, it also has only ONE PLAY MODE, and there are SPARKLES EVERYWHERE. Literally NO HOT SPOT can be missed.

Now for the rest of us...

This is CLEARLY LOW BUDGET. There is next to NO INTRO, NO VOICEOVERS, BASIC GRAPHICS, SAME for MUSIC, NO AMBIENT SOUND.

But, I LIKE it.

The GRAPHICS are PHOTO-REALISTIC and EXTREMELY WELL DONE. The HO SCENES are CLEAR as a bell, NOT AT ALL CROWDED, every object easily seen. There is no ANIMATION or INTERACTION, it is just a simple LIST.

There is one other HOS not of this style where you must find all the dolls hidden in the scene. There are a LOT of HOS (I counted 7 in 30 minutes of play), but none are repeated.

There are almost AN EQUAL number of SIMPLE PUZZLES ( 5 in 30 minutes). These are STRAIGHT FORWARD and WELL KNOWN. But I did skip one. SKIP is reasonably fast.

HINT is VERY FAST, and gives actual hints (much as I don’t care for dolls, I should inspect the cabinet, eg.) or sometimes it is DIRECTIONAL. NO MAP, there is a JOURNAL which keeps the STORY up to date.

Nothing by way of serious head scratching is needed to play the ADVENTURE side of the game, we are spoon fed on that as well, and inventory items become available just when they’re needed.

The STORY is a GHOST STORY, our friend has invited us to a FARM, but is not there when we arrive, our mobile doesn’t work, and when we finally break into the house, we are greeted by a GHOST, who seems friendly and helpful.

The PROBLEM this farm has seems to be VENGEFUL SCARECROWS (although I’m not sure what was done to them to get them so riled up).

After a rash of FRIENDLY SCARECROWS of late, I’m interested to see what ANGRY ones get up to.

This is DEFINITELY a game that BEGINNERS could really ENJOY (or those with poor eyesight – the HOS really are very clear),and I think it’s not a bad one for a LAZY DAY’S game.

Personally, I am very glad after so many duds lately to be able to RECOMMEND a STAND-ALONE STANDARD EDITION unreservedly.

But, as I said, EXPERTS, forget it!

crispypot
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by crispypot on Jul 8, 13 2:45 AM
not a review but, i think i completed this game in 56 mins of the hour demo smallest game ever !!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 8, 13 3:09 AM
Played 20 minutes and it's been a pain....

- No mode to choose

- No voice overs

- A lot of dialogues

- A lot of H0, extremely dark for most of them, you can hardly spot the rather big items. Supposed to be interactive, but I couldn't sort out how they were !

- Hint doesn't indicate you where the item is in H0s, it gets rid of it instantly , outside H0s just tells you there's nothing to do here

- Came across two mini games in a jungle of H0s

You end up in a lonely farm, your boyfriend has disappeared, you meet a lot of chatty ghosts and have to beware of alive scarecrows..... It's been a pain to play these 20 minutes (hand held all the time) but I wanted to give the game a fair chance. When I entered the girl's room and saw dolls all over the place, then the boys room with a computer in good place, this became too much for me and I exited as fast as I could.

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Jul 8, 13 3:28 AM
Too dark for these old eyes. Extremely easy game if you can get past the dark, and you like many HO games. Personally I lasted about 10 minutes before I gave up.

Joy

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jul 8, 13 3:32 AM
Can't turn sparkles off? Didn't they stop doing this years ago? Deleted after one minute, rubbish.

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Jul 8, 13 5:45 AM
Well, that was interesting! I finished the game - completely - with one minute of the trial left. (Thanks for the free game, BFG).

Oddly enough, I enjoyed it. The hidden objects were easy to find as the graphics were so clear. (Loved the silhouette HOG near the end!)

The story flowed, and the conclusion was definite (and satisfactory). Pity it was so short though, I would happily have bought it if it had been twice the length it is.

It's very simplistic and dated compared to ERS and Blue Tea and such games, but it whiled away an hour of my day off for me, and I'm glad I gave it a go.

jdelbove
Minnow
Minnow
266 Posts

[Post New]by jdelbove on Jul 8, 13 6:33 AM
Sleeper. Not a bad game if you just want to pass the time playing the demo but definitely not worth paying for. Game was over in about 54 minutes.

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Jul 8, 13 7:22 AM
Well I played the first 10 minutes...........and that was enough for me! So boring, so "old hat", and you can't even use your own brain 'cos there are hints and sparkles everywhere! It's a deffo "NO BUY" for me!

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jul 8, 13 7:28 AM
No voiceovers, no real storyline, teeeeeennnny tinnnnhy print was hard to deal with....8 minutes in I quit...a no buy for me....plus people said they finished it by the end of the demo....not for me....

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jul 8, 13 8:20 AM
This game I played, and am still playing, on another site. Very slow and uninteresting . As has already been said, there is no voice over and game play is pretty easy and dated. Kamali's review was spot on but I can't say about the ending as I have not gotten there yet. HOGS are pretty good and varied.

If you don't mind a simple buy and in general an ok game, punch card Monday is a good time to buy. As always, see for for yourself.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jul 8, 13 9:23 AM
I used a free credit to play this game but found out that it was way to short. I believe it a waste of a credit.

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Jul 8, 13 10:17 AM
I don't know if I will buy either. Another game with no walkthrough and a hint button that gives you "Look in another location" and etc. Not much help.

LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on Jul 8, 13 11:18 AM
I finished the game in demo mode. Don't waste a credit.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 8, 13 12:14 PM
In spite of all the claims of a short game, I will use a coupon on it. Sometimes a nice easy game is just what I need to soothe my jangled nerves.The fact that I have too many coupons ready to expire. BF doesn't have many SE's that are both good, and not a stripped down CE. I have most of the CE's and will not use the coupons on a game I already own.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jul 8, 13 12:28 PM
I got it using a coupon. The game was just right for me when I want to relax. The hint system I haven't used but I did have a good playing the game so far. I believe this game is a little short but I usually take my time to read and look.

Bluecassie37
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by Bluecassie37 on Jul 8, 13 12:34 PM
Spoiler (a bit)
Very short indeed. I completed in about 40 minutes.
I thought it was an interesting set up and would like to see it developed into a bigger game.
Creepy scarecrows were not made much of - just lying or standing there. Same with the scared/mad man in the pantry. Also could have done without the OMG type dialogue. I liked the story but it could have been developed a bit more thoroughly so it revealed more slowly. I'm not bothered by the lack of VO, but there could have been a harder
No shocks and no real difficulties. Very gentle way to spend 40 mins!

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jul 8, 13 1:21 PM
While graphics are not too bad, the teensy font for the lists in the HOS is just ridiculous.

After reading all the reviews about how short the game is, of course it was NO BUY. But at least I got near the end of it in the demo hour, so mostly got a 'free game'.

It is ridiculously simplistic with tool bar tips and sparkles for every single move..

Go to: