bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Final Cut: Encore Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 11, 13 12:29 AM
Your murderous half-sister has escaped, and you've got the last piece of your father's treacherous film projector. The breakout success story returns for an encore as you uncover the truth about your father's dark secrets and find out who’s really behind his death and his deadly invention in Final Cut: Encore.

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won’t find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Final Cut: Encore Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 11, 13 1:40 AM
Hi, all...

There are 3 Difficulty modes: Casual, Challenging, Expert.

There is widescreen.

There is a choice of a large and a tiny custom cursor.

You can tick "High Resolution" for a better picture. However, you have to untick it, if you want to play in Window mode.

Your Map, which you will get shortly into the game, is at the left, and shows you where you are, places you can go to, places where actions are needed, etc, and it can be used to jump to different locations.

The HOS are partly interactive, and frequent. If you get tired of looking for objects, you can play a M3 game instead.
In Casual mode, the tiles that are available for use in the M3 games, quiver. This is very irritating. I guess that, just because I play in Casual mode, the devs thought I would therefore also need a lot of hand-holding with the M3 games. I like M3 games, but will give these ones a miss.

Both the Skip and Hint buttons only take about 20 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

The Inventory can be locked to stay on top, or unlocked to disappear below until needed.

The graphics are very well done.

Some of the scenes are interchangable - like in these 2 other games where you got a different room by switching the light on and off - can't remember the names. But this game is similar. I read in the CE forum that some peeps didn't like it. I love it. I get twice as many scenes out of it when I am in a room that changes completely.

--- --- ---

ETA:

When I demoed the CE trial, I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement. I wasn't even sure whether to get the SE. Gameplay, I felt, was just routine, and I was not enthusiastic about the puzzles I had come across so far. Also the HOS appear pretty often - again, these days I prefer to play games with less HOS in them rather than more.

However, having demoed the SE today, and not expecting anything great or exciting this time, I actually rather liked what I have played so far. I guess that if I have too much expectations then I get disappointed with what I get, but if I don't have any expectations, I will like the game much more.

Edited on 08/09/2013 at 1:44:32 AM PST

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 11, 13 3:41 AM
*twitches*

D: This seems like it's so good! WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO ME!? WHY DO THEY GIVE GAME CLUB MEMBERS 24HR PRIOR ACCESS!?

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jul 11, 13 6:27 AM
Valdy is right.....I found it rather standard and boring....and they changing scenes annoys me to no end. I'll pass.

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Jul 11, 13 6:55 AM
Now, see, I love changing scenes and morphing rooms! Total sucker for them. But I'm waiting for the SE since it's not that intriguing.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jul 11, 13 8:48 AM
I really enjoyed the demo but I agree with some on the changing rooms. It tends to interrupt the flow for me. I end up using the hint just to figure out where I'm supposed to be!

This really does have a lot going for it so I recommend trying the demo. I don't bother with an actual review anymore. There are plenty already

I will get it in SE simply because of price difference

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jul 11, 13 11:09 AM
I think the graphics are nice and clear. The puzzles are unoriginal at least so far. There are too many Hos for my liking. The match 3 games that you can play instead of the hos are not fun.

I'm on the fence about this one, one minute I like it and the next I don't but the longer I play the demo the more I like it. Go figure.

Edited on 07/20/2013 at 2:19:28 PM PST

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jul 11, 13 3:47 PM
This is one strange game. Cartoonish graphics don't really fit with murder. Way too many cut scenes for my taste. While we must leave credibility at the door when playing games, the dialogue and actions of the brother make me want to shake my head. I hated the music as it was way too repetitive, and I hated the weird sound when you clicked an object. The only way I can describe it is by saying it is a bit like a gong in an echo chamber. So much for the devs telling you to play with sound for a better experience. Oh, and there are NO CAMELS in the central park zoo!

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 11, 13 5:17 PM
Why does everyone always complain about too many HOS? It's a HIDDEN OBJECT GAME for crying out loud!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jul 11, 13 6:35 PM
catbag8717 wrote:Why does everyone always complain about too many HOS? It's a HIDDEN OBJECT GAME for crying out loud!

bbecause many different genres (adventure, adventure lite, frogs, etc are all lumped under the "hog" tab at bigfish, maybe when the new foruns come,,,they will be sorted better

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Jul 11, 13 9:13 PM
catbag8717 wrote:Why does everyone always complain about too many HOS? It's a HIDDEN OBJECT GAME for crying out loud!

Hidden Object games can have many types of hidden objects. Many of us like the games that don't have a list of hidden objects every time you turn a corner. If that is what you like, that's great, but no need to be so shocked that lists of hidden objects aren't appreciated by everyone and we don't need lists to look for hidden objects in a game and I also much prefer the type of game where you search for items and solutions and play puzzles and min-games without the constant lists. I wish they did have a separate category called adventure/lite or something like that so I didn't have to wade through games full of lists, but they don't.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 11, 13 10:01 PM
I agree, Sept24. I too am getting really bored, not only if I stumble over one HOS after another, without much gameplay in between, but am really bored with the lists.

I love those that ERS has brought out, the ones with the silhouettes, which are highly interactive, and those that Blam! Games have added to their last game. Now those are more to my liking.

I also prefer more mini games rather than the same repetitive puzzles you see in every HOG. I don't care much for puzzles. It's not that I can't do them, I just can't be bothered with them. But mini games, I love those. I think "MCF: Madam Fate" had them first. What a surprise they were. Really loved them.

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Jul 11, 13 10:50 PM
I agree with you a lot Valdy. I like puzzles, but I love mini games and I like silouettes too and reverse hidden object scenes. For some reason it is much more fun to me to put things back in the scene. My recent favorite game was Namariel Legends and before that Sandman. Love those type of games. Someone wrote that maybe soon they will have a separate category for adventure lite, but I wouldn't want to get my hopes up for that and I think we will just have to muddle through and try everything to find the good ones.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 11, 13 11:57 PM
Oh yes, I too love putting objects back into the scene. That is so much fun. That's why I love games like "Enlightenus", and even more so "Enlightenus II: The Timeless Tower. I also loved those mini games you could play in this game. Pity they didn't make a third game.

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Jul 12, 13 3:04 AM
Valdy, I just have to comment that I also loved both of the Enlightness games too and have played both several times through. All those great reverse hidden object scenes are so great and YES that game has such fun mini games and they aren't just solved with a couple of clicks either, but required some thought and trying different combinations which was perfect. I have wondered why don't more devs put that type of mini game in their games as I'm sure if we love them so much, many others must love them too. Maybe they take longer to create or something, but any game with that combination would be a guaranteed buy for me.

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Jul 12, 13 4:09 AM
Oh Valdy, Madame Fate, really takes me back, I absolutely loved that game, It definitely got me hooked on puzzle and HO games.It was fantastic.

Having said that I am enjoying this Final Cut game, Its one of those games that gets better as you go along, although I do agree about the amount of HO's. I also like the way it changes to film sets,plus I just seem to feel the enthusiasm of the Dev's.

On to the bonus section now.

Linda

chuleo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by chuleo on Jul 12, 13 6:35 AM
I have finished my entire demo-time in the Expert mode, since I don't like the (too helpful) sparkles in the game.

I loved the match-3 game instead of the HOG, with the frozen tiles and the fact you can earn extra special tiles (for eliminating HOG-objects) by matching at least 4 tiles at a row.
I didn't had any instructions or hand-holding in the match 3, nor did any of the tiles quiver!?!

Maybe this is different in the casual mode of the game??

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 12, 13 6:40 AM
chuleo wrote:I have finished my entire demo-time in the Expert mode, since I don't like the (too helpful) sparkles in the game.

I loved the match-3 game instead of the HOG, with the frozen tiles and the fact you can earn extra special tiles (for eliminating HOG-objects) by matching at least 4 tiles at a row.
I didn't had any instructions or hand-holding in the match 3, nor did any of the tiles quiver!?!

Maybe this is different in the casual mode of the game??

I always play in "Casual mode" (you can see that by my mentioning how long it takes the Hint and Skip buttons to fill in "Casual mode").

I find it a bit sad that the devs thought that those of us who play in Casual mode need that extra help in the M3 game by making all available tiles quiver. It was quite awful.

Edited on 07/12/2013 at 6:41:40 AM PST

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on Jul 12, 13 6:54 AM
I really enjoyed this and the previous game. Can't understand why some don't like HO scenes.That's what it is???

Not only do you get a Bonus Game but if you finish the game try the;

'Look round the Eipix Office' it's second on the 'extra's list. I think I enjoyed that even more than the game!

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jul 12, 13 7:18 AM
We all have things we like and don't like in every game. Since many games seem to fall into the very broad category of HOPA, one can never be sure what the game will be. There are HOPAs without any hidden object scenes, and HOPAs with one scene after another. I've only been a member for 2 years, and I am trying to go back and find some of the older games to see if there is anything I might like. It is especially amusing for me to trial Felix' suggestions on games I might enjoy. Most of the time I scratch my head and say, whyever would Felix suggest THAT one? Perhaps a more detailed description or classification system would help.

Go to: