bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Final Cut: Encore Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 11, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Final Cut: Encore Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Final Cut: Encore Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Final Cut: Encore Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 11, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

nomatt
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jul 11, 13 12:46 AM
Download was nice and quick . Everything about the game looks very nice, certainly worth a try. First thing that made me laugh, there is an option for 'high resolution graphics', I chose that and a box pops up saying my PC doesn't support HR graphics! Oh yeah? I have a quad core intel i5 @3.4GHz, a 7870 Graphics card with 2GB RAM, 16GB RAM and windows 7 pro 64 bit. I play Bioshock infinite on ultra settings. Think it can handle anything. Also why do some devs insist on limiting your options? If I don't want sparkles then it doesn't automatically follow that I wish to wait aeons for the hint to fill, I can decide when to use the a hint all by myself.
Other that that it looks like a very nice game, graphics could do with a higher resolution perhaps but....

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,254 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 11, 13 1:44 AM
What an interesting game! There's a lot of stuff to do. (Edited to add comments at the end.)

The story is actually kind of unique (minus a few pieces of the usual HOPA game stories), and it does carry over from the previous game. A family friend is after a piece of equipment you have, under the pretense that he's going to hold it for your safety, because potentially someone is after you. Once you leave the mansion, it starts to get weird! Many scenes have two versions, and you can switch back and forth between the two to get things done.

Pros:
+ Great graphics. The artwork, thanks to the game's story, gives you many varied locations (mansion, military base, desert scenes, and more) all in one game.
+ Nice music. Edited to add: There's this weird noise that sometimes comes up in the music that is a bit annoying! Voiceovers are good, especially the main character.
+ Three modes of gameplay. Hard mode has zero sparkles, longer hints/skips, and less informative blackbar tips.
+ You can play a match-3 game instead of doing hidden object scenes. I like that the match-3 is harder than you'd expect, and it has frozen pieces, zapper pieces, exploding pieces, etc. Neat!
+ H0 scenes are good. They're interactive, but the downside is that the interactive parts have little gears over them, so it's not terribly difficult.
+ Achievements! Some are the usual kind, and some are a little bit different.
+ Collectibles (two kinds, according to the achievements) and morphing objects! Small spoiler alert about the second collectible type: It takes a while into the game to be able to see and find the first of this kind.
+ Jump map. Also, the map is animated (just for fun), and birds fly by, you can look into buildings if you mouse over them, etc. Very cool!

Cons:
- Puzzles could be harder on hard mode. (I do appreciate the less informative black bar tips in hard mode, though!)
- I don't like that the map tells you if there's a collectible still available in each area, but maybe that's a plus for other people.
- High definition graphics mode doesn't work on my computer, despite it exceeding the minimum requirements.

Edit: I'm kind of cheesed off that toward the end of the game there's a "placeholder" text that they didn't catch while finishing the game! No one noticed this? Really?

Edited on 07/11/2013 at 6:54:50 AM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
521 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jul 11, 13 2:36 AM
I never buy CE versions, so the problem with playing the CE demo of a new game is getting hooked and then having to wait for the SE to come out. I should know better by now.

This looks to be a very interesting game, and yes, I am hooked. I did have a technical issue which I will post in the other thread. Apart from that, I didn't like having the black screens when loading new scenes, which seemed to take an inordinately long time -- so long that once or twice I thought maybe the game had crashed. For a game of this quality, it shouldn't take so long to load a new scene.

There were some whitish pentagons floating around at times, kind of like you might get from something reflecting off a lens. Clicking on them had no effect as far as I could tell. There were extra things to find and achievements, but I really had no interest in those, because, as I said, I don't buy CEs.

I loved the first one in this series, and I think this may surpass it. Hopefully it won't be too long before the SE is released.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,756 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 11, 13 3:58 AM
This sequel was a big disappointment ---- try as they might to recreate the excitement and originality of the first game, it just falls flat. And, to me, the reason is that the story is just all over the place. There is no continuity at all, and it became boring very quickly.

The graphics are a bit flat, but even that I could overlook.

There are an abundance of HOS (too many), and the objects are either ridiculously big or eye-testing too small. They are interactive, but the little steps to secure the objects in question are entirely too vague. Head scratching, but not fun.

And the puzzles are all old school with a glaring lack of originality. Seen and done all these old puzzles. Not much effort put out here.

Between the HOS and the puzzles there is a good deal of back and forth to find this, put it here, oh wait, you need something else, go find it, come back, etc., etc. Just too much routine that we've seen so many times before.

There are things to collect, and achievements to earn, but I was already too bored by the story to care.

A CE needs to sparkle with a bit of extra polish, an engaging story, and something extra to interest the gamer. This game has none of that.

Maybe as a DD sometime down the road, but no interest at all as a CE. Uninstalled.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 11, 13 5:03 AM
If I'm disappointed when the demo ends it's a sign I enjoyed playing it...and I was! The graphics were excellent; I didn't find them flat, they were rich and detailed. The HD option worked for me (perhaps because the resolution is set to 1920x1080 on my monitor?) and the game filled my screen.

The HOS were interactive with an option to play Match 3 instead, the puzzles mostly very familiar (perhaps it's difficult to come up with new puzzles for every game!), I loved the idea of switching off the projector to reveal a completely different scene, there were collectibles to find and achievements to earn. I didn't notice any morphing objects. As for the story, to be honest if it's vaguely interesting, it's good enough for me. I don't expect great literature from a casual game.

I played on the middle of the 3 modes and there were still a lot of sparkles, even in the HOS, which I was disappointed with. I would expect only the HOS to sparkle, not everywhere there's something to do/look at. Playing on hard mode will hopefully stop this. Didn't use the map but I gather you can use it to jump to another location.

Of all the CE's that have been released recently, this one looks to be far and away the best of what has been a pretty poor selection. I'll have 2 game club credits in a couple of days and unless the CE at the weekend is exceptional, I'll be buying this game

NancySusan
Minnow
Minnow
294 Posts

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jul 11, 13 7:36 AM
I'm kind of on the fence with this one: I have the original and I liked it quite a lot. This has, at least in the demo where you're not sure exactly what's up, a fairly bizarre but interesting premise, and I liked having the two kinds of scenes to investigate. As usual with these games, there are not only anomalies, but fairly odd errors, like a soldier dressed like someone from a fantasy version of a WWI doughboy (kind of) set in a post-World War II environment, a military base on a coast where a naval base would be, and an electronic lock to something before they would have been invented. Oh, and no one other than cowboys (and maybe Jimmy Stewart?) were saying "whoa" back then. I found the HO games fine, although I sometimes used a hint at the end when I often find I become impatient. For me, because I'm somewhat dyslexic, I played through some of the mini-games and skipped 2 or so others, because I won't recall the patterns as well as some other people, so I did find some of the mini-games somewhat challenging. The game kind of filled my widescreen, but had that slightly stretched look to it, and the colors were a bit greyed/greened, which may be due to my driver. I'm intrigued by the concept, but not sure if I will purchase the CE. Have to think about it. Not as excited about this one as I was about the original, though.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 11, 13 1:19 PM
This was an ok game. I didn't really like the other that well, even though got great reviews. It's not bad or anything, just a little on the boring side. Puzzles were ok and graphics too. Had a map which I always look for now and hints reloaded fast. Maybe it's the jumping from one scene to the next? Won't buy it as a CE as I can wait for the SE. Give this 3 out of 5 stars

dancemom1
Clownfish
Clownfish
813 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 11, 13 3:05 PM
As usual, another special for a series I already have...except for this one of course. Yes, I have the first two and liked them both. This one is a bit different Don't much care for the combination of real and animated people, but not badly done.

I always demo on easy mode, so here it goes. Not much in the way of instructions on this game. Possible spoiler: (highlight to see) Does not tell you that you have morphing objects and film strips to find along the way. I just accidentally found them. There is a lot of shoe leather used in this game, as you frequently return to the same location and HOG. Good thing there is a jump map! Naturally, it only shows two chapters, which I don't care for...I want to see how many we have to look forward to.

Game play was good, music not too bad, graphics the same as the other two games. Games were simple and not "brain" taxing. HOGs simple and straight forward. Some items very small and hard to see, but mostly not bad. Had some sparkles that weren't HOGs, just sort of there for no reason. Nice, helpful hint system that fills quickly. SG was very nice as well.

Story line seemed as though something was missing. Maybe it was the lack of direction or instruction, but the story was different. I believe you weren't being transports back in time, but back into a movie. At least that's what I thought.

This game was not spectacular, nor was it particularly challenging, but I do find myself wanting to see it to the end. Yes, I have sworn off CE games, so I will put this one in my puddle and hold for the SE, unless there is a really good special on CE games coming up.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
625 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jul 11, 13 5:08 PM
daisyduck352 wrote:This was an ok game. I didn't really like the other that well, even though got great reviews. It's not bad or anything, just a little on the boring side. Puzzles were ok and graphics too. Had a map which I always look for now and hints reloaded fast. Maybe it's the jumping from one scene to the next? Won't buy it as a CE as I can wait for the SE. Give this 3 out of 5 stars

I agree, it just seemed a little dark, which I don't like. I think I'm going to pass on this one.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
765 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jul 11, 13 8:17 PM
I am disappointed with this sequel. I just finished playing the first game of this series a couple of days ago knowing that the sequel was going to come out. I liked the first game a lot because the story was a bit different and the artwork and graphics were great. I also liked many of the puzzles. I even liked the use of the live actors.

The demo of the sequel just isn't at the same level of the first. I usually play enough of the game during the demo time to get into the game, but this time I felt that I had not gone too far in the game and really didn't get a feel for the game. I only got to the part where I was making the key pattern. The bad guy also seemed to be predictable. The graphics didn't seem to be high definition and were a little on the cartoonish side. I don't remember seeing anything mentioned in the tutorial about objects to collect, but I managed to stumble across one object to collect. One of my pet peeves is having to collect all the multiples of something before you can add them to where they are needed. When I find one piece, I usually like to go back immediately and add it to where it is needed. By the time I collect all the pieces, I sometimes forget what the pieces are for or where they belong.
I am not really sure now if I want to get the game to figure out why the guy turned bad, and probably can think of how the storyline is going to play out. So, it is a no buy for the full price of the CE, and will have to play the demo again when the SE comes out to see if I will even buy the SE.

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Jul 11, 13 9:11 PM
dancemom1 wrote:As usual, another special for a series I already have...except for this one of course. Yes, I have the first two and liked them both. This one is a bit different Don't much care for the combination of real and animated people, but not badly done.

I always demo on easy mode, so here it goes. Not much in the way of instructions on this game. Possible spoiler: (highlight to see) Does not tell you that you have morphing objects and film strips to find along the way. I just accidentally found them. There is a lot of shoe leather used in this game, as you frequently return to the same location and HOG. Good thing there is a jump map! Naturally, it only shows two chapters, which I don't care for...I want to see how many we have to look forward to.

Game play was good, music not too bad, graphics the same as the other two games. Games were simple and not "brain" taxing. HOGs simple and straight forward. Some items very small and hard to see, but mostly not bad. Had some sparkles that weren't HOGs, just sort of there for no reason. Nice, helpful hint system that fills quickly. SG was very nice as well.

Story line seemed as though something was missing. Maybe it was the lack of direction or instruction, but the story was different. I believe you weren't being transports back in time, but back into a movie. At least that's what I thought.

This game was not spectacular, nor was it particularly challenging, but I do find myself wanting to see it to the end. Yes, I have sworn off CE games, so I will put this one in my puddle and hold for the SE, unless there is a really good special on CE games coming up.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

This game has one prequel only, not two as you wrote. "Death on the Silver Screen" if I remember correctly.

Edited on 07/11/2013 at 9:13:43 PM PST

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jul 11, 13 11:48 PM
i agree with cbtx and abarrett.

i really like the first game... i loved the art deco, the plot was interesting and the game was less linear.

the graphics don't seem as sharp this time, the collectibles don't engage me like other games do... and by the end of the demo i was thinking "i remember the first game being MUCH better!"

i waited for the SE last time and i will demo the SE when it comes out and then decide. right now, i'm on the fence as to whether the SE is even worth it because as far as i got in the story, it seemed jumbled and didn't make much sense.
for instance, when i climbed up to the tower and did the puzzle to open the gate, i came back down and was told "we need to open the gate"... UM.... LOOK BEHIND YOU, the gate is already open, doorknob! LOL.

i do like that we can choose match 3 instead of HOS (that was my choice) and i do like that the hardest level still has (slow filling) hint and skip buttons.

i don't care for jump maps, or even maps at all, to be honest. i love challenging games and the map takes the challenge away by presenting me with a way to get extra hints. for me, make it an option to turn off the hints offered in the map and i'd be much happier, otherwise, i'm tempted to be lazy and just continually rely on the map.

i really had high hopes for this game after the first one, but i'm kinda disappointed.

JMHO. try the demo for yourself and see what you think.

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

Flashy

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Jul 12, 13 1:20 AM
Not a buy for me, overall quality not CE standard. However I would consider buying the SE on for a freebie.

I found the graphics flashed and jolted when the game moved from one scene to another so anyone with migraines like me could find that part difficult to view.

Artwork, compared to other quality games is cartoonish and amateurish.

The constant cut scenes and chat left me frustrated and thinking ;come on' already!

The pointer doesn't always listen to where its clicked when trying to do something but I found that if I kept trying it would work on the third go.

Better luck next game I guess.

catbag8717
Clownfish
Clownfish
692 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 12, 13 3:11 AM
Well, Eipix has been making some pretty good games lately, and Final Cut: Encore is added to that list. I really enjoyed the trial, but, once again I will wait for the SE release.

The storyline is favourite kind and starts brilliantly, which is what first got me hooked. Then, near the end of the demo, there is another sick twist that leaves you desperately wanting more. The game uses live actors for the cutscenes, making it just like watching a movie.

The HOS are great. There was just the right amount for me. The HOS include extra step objects and I found them rather easy, allowing me to collect a number of HOS achievements. For those who do not want to play the HOS, there is an option of Match 3. This is very fun and also easy.
The puzzles were great. Eipix took all gamers in to account as some were easy and others a little harder. On Casual mode, the Skip recharges incredibly quickly for those who find the puzzles too hard or just can’t be bothered doing them. The Strategy Guide provides solutions for the puzzles, but only through screenshots.

The gameplay was nothing new to me, and I had no issues with getting stuck, which is a bonus. One thing that annoyed me though- You had to switch between 2 different “worlds” to get things- something which really drives me insane in games.
Something that I found to be more useful than usual was the hint. The hint acts as an interactive map, so you don’t have to waste time backtracking or using a map. Well done to the developers on this.

The graphics are excellently done. The cutscenes use real actors, and at times it’s like watching a movie. Other than that, the HOS are done really well, as are other scenes in the game. Kudos to the developers for their extra effort.
The voice-overs are nothing special, but they were done well enough to make the game interesting. There is nothing really to comment on the voice-overs.

(I will have to put my review in two posts, sorry)

catbag8717
Clownfish
Clownfish
692 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 12, 13 3:40 AM
My review continued: (forgot to mention, I gave it 4/5)

FEATURES
- Diary to keep track of events.
- Map. The map is interactive, although I did not use it as I had the hint.
- 3 modes of play- Casual, Challenging and Expert. I played Casual, as I always do when first playing a game.
- Hint and Skip- the hint and skip recharge incredibly quickly on casual and the hint is extremely useful outside HOS, acting as an interactive map.
- Strategy Guide (CE Exclusive)- Helped me solve a couple of puzzles.
- Achievements (CE Exclusive)
- Collectible film reels (CE Exclusive)
- Downloadable soundtrack and wallpapers (CE Exclusive- Bonus content)
- Bonus Chapter (CE Exclusive- Bonus Content)
- Concept Art (CE Exclusive- Bonus Content)

The demo is a solid 45 minutes and the game is packed full of CE Extras, but the file size is HUGE at 1.2GB. What’s with all the big games lately? If you have limited internet and/or computer space, I would advise waiting for the SE. If you like extras, take the CE. Either way, I recommend this game.

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on Jul 12, 13 6:43 AM
catbag8717 wrote:Well, Eipix has been making some pretty good games lately, and Final Cut: Encore is added to that list. I really enjoyed the trial, but, once again I will wait for the SE release.

The storyline is favourite kind and starts brilliantly, which is what first got me hooked. Then, near the end of the demo, there is another sick twist that leaves you desperately wanting more. The game uses live actors for the cutscenes, making it just like watching a movie.

The HOS are great. There was just the right amount for me. The HOS include extra step objects and I found them rather easy, allowing me to collect a number of HOS achievements. For those who do not want to play the HOS, there is an option of Match 3. This is very fun and also easy.
The puzzles were great. Eipix took all gamers in to account as some were easy and others a little harder. On Casual mode, the Skip recharges incredibly quickly for those who find the puzzles too hard or just can’t be bothered doing them. The Strategy Guide provides solutions for the puzzles, but only through screenshots.

The gameplay was nothing new to me, and I had no issues with getting stuck, which is a bonus. One thing that annoyed me though- You had to switch between 2 different “worlds” to get things- something which really drives me insane in games.
Something that I found to be more useful than usual was the hint. The hint acts as an interactive map, so you don’t have to waste time backtracking or using a map. Well done to the developers on this.

The graphics are excellently done. The cutscenes use real actors, and at times it’s like watching a movie. Other than that, the HOS are done really well, as are other scenes in the game. Kudos to the developers for their extra effort.
The voice-overs are nothing special, but they were done well enough to make the game interesting. There is nothing really to comment on the voice-overs.

(I will have to put my review in two posts, sorry)

I agree with all of the above. I really enjoyed this and the previous game.

Not only do you get a Bonus Game but if you finish the game try the

'Look round the Eipix Office' it's second on the 'extra's list. I think I enjoyed that even more than the game!

Edited on 07/12/2013 at 6:44:27 AM PST

Pootie49
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Pootie49 on Jul 12, 13 7:13 AM
I really enjoy Eipix games. They always have an engaging storyline which to me is the most important element. The demo had me wondering " just what is going on here?" I love that.

Lots to do, collect, achieve,etc. I also like a game where I need to keep notes of locations to return to in order to further the story. I felt very engaged in the enfolding of the plot. I will be purchasing this one.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
416 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jul 12, 13 10:50 PM
ANother scary very good CE. Interactive map, just as scary good storyline, continuation series of Final Cut, morphing objects, fun mini puzzles except that so pesky light thingy puzzle which I hated and skipped. HOS that can be switched to match 3. Great graphics, some parts scary

Shld we put PG13 on this game? It did give me a bit of a scare factor there. Its so scary good u would cry such a storm that will really scare your loved ones if u failed to buy it

Go to: