Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

High Definition Mode Help

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 11, 13 12:46 AM
Hi, all!

I'm taking a break to ask a quick question. Hopefully someone can answer, or maybe a mod will know the answer to this: Why can't I turn on high definition mode? It says my computer doesn't support it. I have a 1gb graphics card (an AMD Radeon HD 6670, not the latest, but workable) and 8 gb of RAM on this computer, so you'd think it would work!

Anyone know the reason it won't work? Are there specific requirements? It's not a big deal, but I'm really curious to see what the high definition mode is.

Thanks in advance!

Edited on 07/11/2013 at 12:58:01 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

Re:High Definition Mode Help

[Post New]by nomatt on Jul 11, 13 1:25 AM
I don't think it works. I have recently upgraded all my PC, have a solid state drive, very fast CPU, top notch graphics and 16GB RAM all on windows 7 pro 64bit, and it says mine doesn't support HR Graphics as well.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 11, 13 1:32 AM
Yours sounds like it has more bells and whistles than mine and it still doesn't work! That's kind of weird. I wonder why if anyone's works, and why it won't work for us?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 11, 13 1:44 AM
It works just fine on my nearly 4-year old Sony Vaio laptop. I have an ATI Radeon graphics card, with an i5 Intel Core, using Win7, 64-bit.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 11, 13 1:50 AM
Glad to hear it works for someone! My curiosity as to why it isn't working is driving me nuts! LoL

[Post New]by PaulMuadDib on Jul 11, 13 2:00 AM
What is your monitor native resolution? I think that game will only work in HD if monitor is full HD meaning 1920 x 1080, so its not really about the power of the computer.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Jul 11, 13 2:12 AM
Hi Imberis,

I agree with PaulMuadDib that the screen resolution must be set to 1920 x 1080 but, I found that it didn't work for me by changing the resolution alone.

I had to change the setting on my graphic card to maintain aspect ratio before changing the resolution to 1920 x 1080.

I usually have mine set on my graphic card to scale image to full panel size instead so I don't get the black bars for most of the games.

The directions for doing that will be different for every graphic card. If you don't already know how to change yours, you can google the name of your card with the words how to set to maintain aspect ratio and see if you can find some help page that way .

Good luck

eta: for emphasis

Edited on 07/11/2013 at 2:15:00 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 11, 13 2:12 AM
PaulMuadDib wrote:What is your monitor native resolution? I think that game will only work in HD if monitor is full HD meaning 1920 x 1080, so its not really about the power of the computer.

That's what my native resolution is: 1920x1080. And I do have "Full HD 1080" - that's what it says on my little sticker on the left of my laptop.

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 11, 13 2:27 AM
Hi folks,

After having had a look at this option here the usual advice applies, update your drivers and increase your resolution, particularly if it is running at a low level currently. The articles below will help you do that:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

Screen Resolution

It really depends on the machine running the game as to whether you opt for high resolution but checking the steps above will optimize you machine for this setting. Also, just to mention that having you D.P.I settings at default may also help matters.

Finally, even though this is a tech discussion, I will leave the thread open for now to enable you all to discuss and share what has worked best for you, more easily.

I hope this helps!

bfgBaiakl

Edited on 07/11/2013 at 2:28:53 AM PST

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 11, 13 3:07 AM
My monitor's native resolution is 1600x900, so it's set to that. It won't go any higher, probably because the monitor is older than my tower setup so it's not HD-ified. I guess that explains that! Thanks, everyone.

Edited on 07/11/2013 at 3:08:34 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jul 11, 13 11:50 PM
Yeah, that's what it is. I leave mine at 1680 x 1050. Any higher and my poundshop reading glasses crash. It's a bit misleading though.

Go to: