bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Apothecarium: The Renaissance of Evil

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 13, 13 12:29 AM
During the Middle Ages a terrifying, mysterious disease raged across Italy. It killed thousands of people, and whole towns and villages perished together, swallowed whole by this ravaging and perilous plague. Everywhere the disease touched, death followed, and the masses were consumed in hoards. There were legends of a mythical town where the secret to defeating the disease was hidden—a town by the name of Apothecarium, built by Italy's foremost scientists. The brightest minds in the country came here to conduct research and collaborate with other scientists—engineers, mathematicians, artists, sculptors, writers, and even alchemists. Survivors thrived here until a mysterious discovery fell into the wrong hands, and now it’s up to you to free the survivors from the clutches of an insane and cold-blooded lunatic!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Apothecarium: The Renaissance of Evil

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 13, 13 3:55 AM
Hello, all...

Well, well, well... What a nice surprise we have today as a Soft release.

This SE has all the bells and whistles of a CE. Well, almost. There are morphing objects to be found (in the HOS).

There are Achievements. You can find the "achievements" tab in the Main Menu.

You can search for strange talismans - each one will give you a coin. Or you will find coins in other ways, i.e. in a chest, for example.

With these coins you can pop into the Shop and buy power-ups. Yup...

The Store can be found on the Main Menu page. Here you can buy 3 different types of power-ups for the M3 games you can play instead of looking for objects in the HOS.

You can also buy additional Hints, so you don't have to wait for the one you have to recharge. Or you can buy an elixir that will reveal all hidden objects for a short time. And then there is an elixir that will speed up the Skip time for the mini games.

That's the Shop done.

There are 3 Difficulty modes. Casual, Adventure, Challenge. You can change the modes any time.

In Casual mode, the hint and skip buttons recharge quicker, and active zones are highlighted with sparkles.

In Adventure mode, the hint and skip buttons recharge slower, and active zones are not indicated.

In Challenge mode, the hint and skip buttons recharge very slowly, active zones are not indicated, and tips bar is disabled.

There is no widescreen - not for me, anyway.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. Unfortunately, the system cursor is static and will not change when you move over hot spots.

Your Notes are at the left. Inside you will also find your Achievements, and a Tasks tab, as well as the puzzles you have so far played, and your Map, which you will get a little into the game. In Casual mode, the map shows you where you are, and where actions are available (new quest).

Your Hint button (that green glass container) is at the right. The number below it shows you how many hints you have available (if you have bought any in the shop.

The Inventory (called "Items") can be locked to stay on top, or unlocked to disappear until needed.

The HOS I have come across so far are basic. The darker coloured names are, I think, the morphing objects. Not all morphing objects are clickable nor on the list.
As far as I can make out, you only get a morphing object when its shape is that of the one on the list, not when it's something else.

--- --- ---

This is a different kind of game. It is advertised as a HOG, but I would call it an Adventure light game with HOS thrown in. I didn’t do the tutorial, but when I buy this game (oh yes, I will), I will start again and do the tutorial, just so I get explained things that are a little different from other games I play.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 13, 13 4:10 AM
I really like the obvious computer generated graphics, I'd probably buy it just for that alone but Valdy's review makes it sound like a very good game.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jul 13, 13 4:17 AM
What a nice suprise! I used a PCC (finaly).
Love the HOS, only thing there is no instructies with the puzzles.
And the new CE with the sale is perfect.

Happy gaming, fishies!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 13, 13 4:32 AM
I'm really enjoying it too - though the monster-beating threw me for a while! And thanks, Valdy, for the heads up in the other thread - I had missed the soft release.

je_peche
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by je_peche on Jul 13, 13 4:50 AM
Hey Valdy - thanks for the heads up on this game, but I'm finiding it annoying. In the absense of a walkthrough - can you help?

* possible spoiler *

I'm just beyond the gate in a courtyard...there's a snakey-tree thing holding a doll's head. the hint is telling me to go round to the right of the building where I am being attacked by red, pulsing zappy flowers. when I click the hint again, it tells me to go back to the courtyard...I have a alchemist hand, an empty flask, a hammer, 1/2 a lighter, and a plague/doctor mask thingy. Not sure what to do. can you help?

thanks
Pam

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 13, 13 5:08 AM
Pam - I found that bit really weird too. I kept clicking the alchemist's glove - had no idea what I was doing - sometimes the glove showed up large and sometimes it didn't. Anyway, I just kept clicking like crazy and eventually destroyed it. But I didn't know if I was supposed to be aiming for any part - I tried the centre. Didn't enjoy that bit, cos the red flashing was not pleasant. HTH. Good luck!!

je_peche
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by je_peche on Jul 13, 13 5:11 AM
thanks - I figured it out eventually. I think I'm finding the morphing objects within the HOs to be really annoying. It's an interesting twist from the usual, but it's kind of giving me a headache. Also, I have a lag moving from scene to scene. distracting. Used a coupon to purchace so no biggie if I give up...may go DL TGT instead. :-)

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 13, 13 5:45 AM
Glad you got it!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 13, 13 6:23 AM
Hi everyone...

Sorry Pam, I was out to dinner, and didn't see your post until now.

SPOILER ALERT

That is why I want to start again and do the tutorial this time round. That glove also threw me for a moment. But I realised that I had to use it to stop that bad guy from taking the girl. We have seen similar things in other games, where you have to use an object to get rid of an enemy. END OF SPOILER ALERT

And I too found the constantly morphing objects a little distracting. I didn't know where to look, and had more difficulty finding all the items on the list than I would have had if there hadn't been all these moving objects.

Edited on 07/13/2013 at 6:56:18 AM PST

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jul 13, 13 6:31 AM
I did the tutorial and the glove wasn't mentioned. It's not a bad game, the thing that drives me bonkers though is that I can't find any mini game instructions whatsoever and that a lot of the recipes you need you can barely make out what you need.

I googled for a WT and found one on a certain video channel.

Can't say anything about music or sounds since I HATE voices and thought I had turned it off but still had some yapping so no volume at all for me.

I have PCCs piling up and need to use some.....just don't know if I want to use one on this one. Guess I'm gonna try the TGT and go from there.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jul 13, 13 8:02 AM
Wunderbar !! Finally a game that is as good or better than some of the CE's, just like we used to get "back in the day"
I thought I was seeing things when I saw an item in the hos morph, don't remember having that in a game before, but anytime they do something different, it helps me to enjoy them better.
From what I have played so far I don't think this game will be too easy but it looks like a lot of fun. I have a pcc that is expiring today so will get this game with it. All is good, and its a sunny Saturday and I don't have to work so will play when my husband and I get back from the outdoor market down the street. Yay !

Hope everyone enjoys.

ETA: Glad to have Valdy on "this side of the tracks" LOL.

Edited on 07/16/2013 at 4:25:18 AM PST

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Jul 13, 13 9:25 AM
What a clever game. I really like the way the Devs did this game and hope to see more of the same in future games. Fun and different than any of the other games we have had with a new surprise scene after scene. Thank you for a excellent game Devs and you also Big Fish for offering it. I am kinda surprised that it is not a CE and wonder why since it pretty much has all the bells associated with a CE.

[Post New]by Tartanpimpernel on Jul 13, 13 9:31 AM
Great game - off to buy. For those who have not yet found it, there are instructions to the mini games via the hint button. Have fun.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 13, 13 10:24 AM
cathyok wrote:I am kinda surprised that it is not a CE and wonder why since it pretty much has all the bells associated with a CE.

Just not at BFG; at a different portal it was released as Premium Edition = CE.
But it sounds as if many interesting things are also in the SE now.

nascatpat
Clownfish
Clownfish
749 Posts

[Post New]by nascatpat on Jul 13, 13 10:59 AM
This is a game I will definitely buy! It's creative and fun to play, and answers my wish for "something different".... thanks to the developers for this little gem!

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jul 13, 13 12:40 PM
I would have liked an explanation of the achievements in their room. I'm missing two and have no clue what they are for.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Jul 13, 13 12:45 PM
I really, really want to buy this game. But no walkthrough, no buy for me.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jul 13, 13 2:42 PM
This is a great game, with so many extras. I'm sure a lot of people will be using a PCC. My only complaint is the size and color of the type in the HO scenes. Please, the challenge should be to find the objects, not to read the small print. If you must make the print that small, at least give us better contrast. Just my little pet peeve. Otherwise, a nice surprise for today.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jul 13, 13 10:41 PM
This is a very interesting game. I was afraid that waiting for the morphing objects to morph would increase my time in the HOG scenes, but I managed to get all the coins. This is on my list for a PCC and I hope that Monday is a bonus punch day.

Go to: