bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Strange Discoveries: Aurora Peak Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 13, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Strange Discoveries: Aurora Peak Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Strange Discoveries: Aurora Peak Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Strange Discoveries: Aurora Peak Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 13, 13 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jul 13, 13 1:44 AM
Very first thing I came across will stop me buying this game. It's in the options. If you choose not to have sparkles you lose hints and cannot skip puzzles? Why are you punished if you don't want sparkles? The game looks very nice so the hour for free is great but these stupid options will stop me buying it.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 13, 13 2:45 AM
Oh Yes, This Is My Kinda Game!

BASED ON DEMO

I could live in Aurora Peak and be a very happy girl. This LOCATION is LUSH, VERDANT, and teeming with (admittedly MUTATED) GROWTH. The atmosphere is of a PERPETUALLY MOVING & BEAUTIFUL jungle of COLOUR, yet there is SOMETHING THREATENING about this GARDEN OF EDEN right from the START.

This game’s INTRO is the first DEPARTURE from the NORM. Instead of the usual car crash, we arrive in a DOWNED HELICOPTER. Nice change. The tale is DIFFERENT, too. While it is true, we will have to RESCUE OUR BROTHER, it is more of a side story. Our REAL OBJECTIVE, as a GEOLOGIST is to discover the nature of STRANGE CRYSTALS that are AFFECTING the local ANIMAL & PLANT LIFE.

The GRAPHICS that create this special environment are SPECTACULAR HAND DRAWN art, different from the sort of art we are used to, and involving a great deal of ANIMATION. The MUSIC is DIVINE, likewise not the usual, and I could listen to it forever. There are also VOICEOVERS, again very well done.

GAMEPLAY is more PREDICTABLE, but definitely NOT BORING. The HOS come in 3 TYPES – INTERACTIVE LIST, MISPLACED ITEMS & PROGRESSIVE SILHOUETTES (get this to do that to get the other). The items are VERY CLEAR and easily seen, but sometimes tricky to find.

There are a lot more PUZZLES than HOS, so far fairly SIMPLE, and very beautifully integrated into the game. I came across at least one ORIGINAL.

The ADVENTURE gameplay is STRAIGHTFORWARD, following logical though sometimes imaginative lines. There is an INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP, which shows both GAMEPLAY & STORY OBJECTIVES.

Directional HINT is NOT AS QUICK to refill as most, SKIP is quick enough. There is a JOURNAL, with a DISCOVERIES section, where once INFO has been uncovered can be accessed directly rather than leafing through. SG shows 7 CHAPTERS for the main game.

All of this says EXCELLENT FUN GAME, but it gets even better. This game is loaded with CE BELLS & WHISTLES.

We have MORPHING OBJECTS (called SOUVENIRS, 20) which are NOT EASY to find in all that movement and colour of the LOCATIONS.

There are ACHIEVEMENTS (20, viewed in the CABINET in our SOUVENIR ROOM).

We also have the usual EXTRAS:

BONUS CHAPTER, SG, WALLPAPERS, EXCELLENT GALLERY of CONCEPT ART, MUSIC, REPLAYABLE MINI-GAMES (6 HOS & 15 PUZZLES)

I MOST ENTHUSIASTICALLY recommend this game!

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jul 13, 13 3:28 AM
Yes this game has it all, everything except what I often refer to as the WOW factor. SOmething is amiss and I just can't quite wrap my mind over it. The story is too familiar, wierd experiment gone bad making plants and animals morph into strange creatures. Graphics are OK, nothing outstanding and gameplay is your standard seek and find. There are merits to the game like interesting HO scenes that are interactive and come in variations like find the silohette and use it on a nother object. There is also a map that will allow you to travel you have morphing objects wh?ich are almost impossible to detect. Mini-games are interesting yet like I said, the gameplay just did not thrill me. What actually did thrill me is the other game that I nearly missed today, Apothecarium which I highly recommend you give it a try.

Strange Discoveries is good, just not great in my books but I may be a bit harsh here. I will get back to Apothecarium which really did WOW me instead.

Have a good week-end!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 13, 13 7:58 AM
I found this game to be beautiful and a little different. For some odd reason some of the interactions I just don't get and have to check the SG. Not bad but my logic must be slipping. That combined with the wait for the Hint to recharge are what have me on the fence. There is a Sale this weekend though so I may buy it. I like the art which is always a big factor in my purchases. I sometimes buy games just because they are "pretty" - Lol!

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jul 13, 13 8:26 AM
If this game is as just the facts states then it more of an adventure game then a hidden object. 6 HO'S and 15 puzzles is very short to labeled under the hidden object category, it should be under adventure instead............If that is the case then a no buy here....................I like hidden objects.........................not run around all the time..............I can't afford a new pair of sneakers every 5 min.............................GOOD LUCK FISHIES

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 13, 13 9:24 AM
I really like this game! This game gives a whole new meaning to the Orwellian nightmare of "better living through chemistry." These days we might want to add "computer technology" to that phrase as well. Science always improves our lives, right? Being back from vacation in sunny Pamplona and a lot of bull(s), I have been looking forward to curing my game withdrawal with a great BF CE. And....I believe this game will be it! Guess what? It is discounted as well! This time you are in the great Northwest looking for your brother (and what a sweetkittens he is) with a slight twist - animals and plants are turning into zombies. If you are into nature and weather modification, GMO food and the death of honeybees, - in other words, environmental armageddon, you should really get into this game. The graphics (and video) are very well done The games I have played are very easy. I have not seen any HOG scenes as yet. So far, there is only thing I dislike about this game. As others have stated on this site, there are those annoying sparkles. Sparkles should only be included in the casual mode. Also, the hardest level should allow you to occasionally skip games. Great job devs! Quite different from your past games. Geesh! imagine that! We now have games with a message and a new theme as well.

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by AirCoco on Jul 13, 13 9:45 AM
I did not care for this game at all, which is disappointing since I was so excited to see it available for purchase.

The music is some kind of grating, almost shrieking set of tones that repeats endlessly so I turned off the music pretty fast.

It is a ton of running around. It made little sense to me what I was supposed to do. It seemed very disjointed. In the very beginning you are in a scene where your helicopter crashes and the text says "I have to see if I can expense that to the institute" HUH?? Nearby there are flowers that glow in the dark and the text says "They must be beautiful at night". It IS night.

I played the demo and felt like I never quite got going. Lots of cut scene interruptions or sheets of paper to read that all say the same thing (you are looking for your brother) and just seemed to interrupt the game so much. I found myself kind of annoyed and impatient that I really hadn't DONE anything and was just running all over. I checked the SG three times only out of confusion what they wanted from me.

See for yourself or course but this just didnt excite me a heck of a lot.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jul 13, 13 10:15 AM
I was rather excited to see a game from V a s t Studios -- some of them have been quite good. This would not be one of their best.

In terms of game play -- 3 modes, casual has sparkles, advanced has sparkles,longer hint and skip refresh, expert has no sparkles, hints or skips. BUT, hard maintains totally spoon fed black bar info, and all available map hints.

In terms of the story, it is so disjointed as to offer way more "huh" than mystery. Does every visitor have to solve some ridiculous door puzzle to enter the resort?

Your brother summons you (you are a geologist) to your grandfather's resort. Your brother went there to do renovations and found things had definitely changed. Strange crystals now grow on the land, flora and fauna have evolved. A scientist arrived recently by yacht.

From the helicopter you are flying you see Aurora Peak open, a flash of light emerge, you crash and survive (otherwise no story ) apparently unscathed, see a stranger is a protective suit set a trap. You are not terribly unnerved by any of that or even seeing Aurora Peak collapse shortly after.

The widescreen artwork is okay but a bit fuzzy; the cut scenes even fuzzier.

There are voice overs accompanied by printed dialogue.

Achievements, morphing objects, transportable map, a box of stuff rather than a diary. strategy guide, objective "!".

The puzzles are presented in context, somewhat clever, but not difficult. Directions are not hidden. I did not see any HO scenes during the entire demo, but there must be some. CE extras offer replay of HOs and puzzles. Sorry, I don't remember how many chapters. There is Bonus game play, music, wallpapers, concept art, a room for morphed object collection.

It's just another activity with a somewhat curious story. I wish it offered more challenge.

ETA: Well, I posted my review before reading others. It appears AirCoco and I are of one mind, down to the same choice of vocabulary.

Edited on 07/13/2013 at 10:25:10 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 13, 13 12:14 PM
Didn't like the game at all. Trying to figure out why, but just didn't keep my interest. It does have a map and hints reload fast. Graphics are ok and puzzles I didn't like much. Might buy as an SE but will wait and see what's out there first. Give this 2 out of 5 stars..

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 13, 13 1:54 PM
Okay, I must be suffering from severe sunstroke or jet lag (I hate 6 hour time differences and I am tired with too many all-night fiestas) to have ever considered purchasing this game. Please be advised that I purchased this game and now that I am playing it, I absolutely hate it! It is very short as well. Again we have the whole "cutesy animal" thing going in this game. After I had to create medicine to cure "cutesy" baby bear to give back to grumpy mama bear, that was the last straw. I am so sick of "cute". "Cuteness" in these games is getting very annoying. This time you have sick animals to tend to. So, if you like playing doctor or nurse or vet or anything involved with the medical field , you will love this game. It is a definite delete for me, There are HOG scenes, a myriad of them, which I did not see until I purchased the game. The puzzles are fine, but the game moves very slowly. So, please ignore the initial posting. The storyline is quite different than initially thought.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jul 13, 13 1:56 PM
Kind of older looking and just not worth CE price....I probably won't buy it even if SE as it's a little predictable and boring

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jul 13, 13 3:31 PM
My first impression was 'not another strange plant theme' as although they are great to look at, I am not much of an outdoor person and other than the theme, this is just an ordinary HO game with the usual extras: morphing objects, easy enough puzzles and HOS's. There are achievements but I didn't look at them to see what I gained.

For me, it isn't enough to purchase but it is a good game. I thought the music was really good and didn't grate on my nerves like 'Corpatros: The HIdden Village'. I think that was the worst music in a game I have every heard.

There is 3 standard modes of play and I usually choose easy as that is what works for me. I understand that there is some difference here about the sparkles, that turning them off results in inability to skip puzzles. I don't know, since I never check that.

Happy Gaming all.......

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 13, 13 4:34 PM
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone else also thought that based on the premise of the crystals, the opportunity for a much more interesting game went begging and it turned into a ho-hum scientist gone wrong tale
I thought I would be collecting crystals, battling transformed flora and fauna (the momma bear didn't really count),but not so. My interest was piqued when we met crystal-man - aha, some real action, but no - back to the more mundane once he had been bandaged.I didin't even get a crystal cut from helping him - expected at least a purple pinkie.
Even the Bonus Game of "really cleaning up Auora Peak" wasn't exactly dedicated to that task.
CHeers

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 13, 13 6:25 PM
Nice game today. Graphics and game play are very good. I really liked the jungle atmosphere, realism and sound FX. HOGs were clean and not difficult to find items (switches between straigh HOG and silhouette). Games were not extremely difficult but do take some thought and a bit of time on some. You have a choice of cursors to use, which is really great...and they actually work as they should!

Liked that you could click through the dialogue, since I read faster than they talk. There isn't really much in the way of dialogue in this game, so other than the sound FX, it is pretty quiet. There are morphing objects, which I like, but they are not as easy to see as you think.

This is a nice game, as I said, but something is missing. There isn't much action, but there is a lot of running back and forth to the same location and scene, so put on your tennis shoes. Yes, missing brother and you are there to save him and everyone else, but the location makes it an interesting story. Even though I have sworn off CE games, I may have to get this one during the great sale and see where it goes (I'm sure I know already). Going to give the other game that came out today a try first...I may get them both.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jul 14, 13 2:27 AM
I didn't like it. I found it extremely boring and uninteresting. For my full review of the game, go to the game page (the full review won't fit on here- WHY???)

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 14, 13 2:40 AM
I agree with many here who say there just isn't any 'wow' factor in this game. It's nice enough; pretty graphics, HOS were a mix of list, replace items and silhouette, the puzzles were mostly manageable, achievements to earn, morphing objects not so easy to find, map you can jump with and reasonable CE extras.

But I stopped playing before the demo ended (although only a minute as it turned out) simply because it was all just a bit predictable and dull. It never really seemed to get anywhere, even after an hour. But worst of all, there were sparkles all over the place in the advanced (middle) mode. I expect them in casual but not in advanced. And in the hardest mode there are no hints or skip for puzzles; so your choice is to be stuck with those sparkles or have to use the SG if you can't solve a puzzle or need a hint

This ruined the game for me; I won't buy this one even as an SE.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jul 14, 13 6:20 AM
another great game, 3d photographic scenery, painstakingly rendered as though u are there, WOW! to the extreme! Fun mini puzzles, map is not interactive ( )
Hint is sometimes strange. Eg I was at the animal station, I didnt have the disinfectant but it insists I had somthing to do there. Seems there was a glitch, I am supposed to get disinfectant after open the safe, but NOPE nothing. I went back hoping to get the disinfectant still nothing!

Bummer and I was booted out with access violation error, read error etc weird error and I got 3 secs left out of the 1hr trial. I am not sure I want to start another profile and whether the disinfectant will appear again

Except for this, LOVE IT

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jul 14, 13 6:25 PM
just finished the demo of this one. i had high hopes, but it's a no-buy for me, not CE and not SE.

for one, while the scenery was very pretty, the game was just kind of flat. i played on the hardest mode so as to relieve myself of the hated sparkles (and also hints and skips!) but was horrified to see a sparkle on the toolbox in the first list-type HOS i came to! are you kidding me? i sat and watched it sparkle... then i went out to the difficulty level to see if it had somehow changed on its own... nope. still on the hardest level!

and, on the hardest level, we still have a hand holding ours with the black bar tips.

i never needed to use a hint or skip because the puzzles, while interesting, were just too easy and the gameplay too obvious.

just one note of interest.... "aurora peak" looked very much like mount st. helens in WA state, even to the collapsing of one side of the mountain and the resultant shape left after collapse.

anyway, not my cuppa tea. i DO have one skip... this game.

Go to: