bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Apothecarium: The Renaissance of Evil

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 13, 13 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Apothecarium: The Renaissance of Evil ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Apothecarium: The Renaissance of Evil page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Apothecarium: The Renaissance of Evil

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 13, 13 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jul 13, 13 3:08 AM
Seriously? How did I almost miss this game and how is this not a CE?

Our story takes place during the dark ages when the plague has struck most of Europe, causing great havoc across the land. Scientists, Alchemists and artists along with other great minds decide to come together and build a town which they name Apothecariumand use the premises for research and an exchange of knowledge. You are entrusted with a great task given by the Duke Medici; to find his daughter and granddaughter, last seen on the outskirts of Apothecarium where they mysteriously disappeared. Evil lies inthis town and it is now up to you to save them and fight the battle of your life.

Ok so the graphics are not mind blowing but you have voice overs, three game modes and that is just the beginning. You have a journal with a map that will allow you to travel. Still there is more, you have achievements and collectable, coins that you will need to purchase some power-ups. You have fantastic HO scenes that can be switched over to Match 3 game and by the way, you also have morphing objects within the HO scenes to paly. You have intricate puzzles to solve, items to combine and mini-games that are challenging. So my question is, where did these developers come from? Perhaps the game is too short but I really dont care because I am having a blast playing the demo. This is a definite buy and guess what, IT IS A SE GAME! And to think I almost missed it! There must be something wrong but who cares, I have enough free game awards and comapred to today's CE, this game has enough juice to earn a sale. Kudos to the developers!

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Jul 13, 13 4:16 AM
I totally agree with Nilosh.This could easily be a CE, it has it all, even better than a lot of CE's nowadays.
It starts out a bit confusing but after 30 min or so I was very much involved and before you know it I was hooked.
Yes, graphics are not the best but there is so much to do.
Collectables, morphing objects in the HOS, so you better be on your toes to catch the objects, You can switch to match 3 and use the coins to buy upgrades for the match 3 or HOS games.
You find little newspaper clippings telling you about the town and people.
It just blows my mind with everything that is going on here.

You have a map, journal, replayable puzzles etc. Outstanding little gem.
I can't comment on the length, I'm not done yet.
You need to use your magic glove to get by some of the monsters. Some objects found need to be combined before you can use them.
This is definitely a little gem.Very captivating and has so much variety within the game. Never gets boring. Love it.

Sforet71
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by Sforet71 on Jul 13, 13 5:09 AM
as I said in the other game review.Nilosh thanks so much for posting about this game because I would have missed it to. I never think of looking there because I only expect it to be the game that was offered early to us the day before and not another game. Can't wait to play it!!!!!

Donq47
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Donq47 on Jul 13, 13 6:38 AM
Wow. What an SE. All the above posts are right on. So easy to miss and what a shame that would be.Picked this one up right away. Almost have to wonder why a game of this quality is tucked away as an easy to miss addendum.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 13, 13 6:42 AM
Very Complex HO Game

BASED ON DEMO

This one is a very complicated little game and you’ll need your wits about you to get anywhere with it. It is not going to be to everyone’s taste, but it definitely has appeal. And there is no other game out there like it.

The STORY revolves around a plague-ridden medieval Europe suffering the ravages of an UNKNOWN DISEASE. There are rumours of a town where SURVIVING SCIENTISTS have gathered to FIND A CURE. You set off for this place, but are stopped by a STRANGE PERSON in a very ODD HELMET, and end up overturning the carriage outside the gates.

The GRAPHICS are REASONABLE, PLEASANT & CLEAR, though sometimes a bit too DARK. The MUSIC is VERY EXCITING & SUSPENSEFUL and therefore becomes a BOTHER even for me.

It is the GAMEPLAY that will tie you up in knots. There is SO MUCH to KEEP IN MIND!

It is PRIMARILY a HO GAME, with HOS being of the INTERACTIVE LIST variety. BUT they are so much MORE! Some of the ITEMS are MORPHING OBJECTS! Sometimes the HO scene is the general LOCATION, other times it is an IDENTIFIED AREA (bubble sparkles) within the location.

If you want you can CHOOSE to play a MATCH 3 game instead of the HOs, but it is a tricky game, and I found I spent less time finding the objects than erasing them.

There is roughly an equal number of HOS to PUZZLES, although halfway through the trial I still have not encountered a PUZZLE yet.

The HOS are TIMED, and depending on your time, you receive GOLD COINS. There are also TALISMANS scattered throughout the LOCATIONS, to be collected and used to get gold coins. These COINS can be used in the STORE to BUY POWER UPS, for example, FASTER SKIP. Once you have played them PUZZLES, HOS & CHESTS are unlocked, and you can replay them to improve your time and EARN MORE COINS.

CHESTS can be opened by a SIMPLE PUZZLE, and contain a SURPRISE. You can save these until you want to use them, without knowing what’s inside. For instance, I clicked on mine in an HOS, and an item was identified and removed from the list.

There are also ACHIEVEMENTS, which can be found in the TROPHY ROOM, accessed through the NOTES (or main menu). The INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP & TASK LIST can also be found there.

All up, I’d have to say that this game has a lot going for it, in terms of UNUSUAL & VARIED GAMEPLAY, but I found all the EXTRAS a bit much. I DID think putting morphing objects in the HO LISTS a really EXCITING idea.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jul 13, 13 9:42 AM
Despite some deep reservations, including some clunky gameplay (several times I clicked on something in a HOS, but it didn't register until I later used a hint, and surprise, I had already clicked on it), and getting stuck in an early mini-game (i.e. not being able to exit out of it for a while), since I have 3 punch card coupons and probably another by the end of the month, I'm going to get the game. If I had to pay for it, that would give me pause, because the clunkiness is really problematic, but even more so, the one thing that really drives me crazy is when devs. choose a particular era to set their story in and then totally ignore the things that make it of the era -- in this instance, a story set during the mid black death (I haven't seen any sign of the symptoms, just dead bodies, but that's what it's about), references to Duke Lorenzo de Medici (b. 1492, died 1519) and people dressed like the mid to late18th century mixed in with almost no one from the actual era the story is supposedly set in. Why???? We even have a top hat on someone (first top hat 1793). There were things I did like a lot, including the morphing objects in the hidden object games. Interestingly, although I'm usually very good at Match 3, I found when I got tired with yet another HOS and tried a Match 3, I would have done better to stick with the actual HOS -- I took longer to do the Match 3 and earned fewer coins. I'm finding the numerous ways to use the coins a bit confusing in terms of shortening hint time, but the hint and skip buttons in casual don't take that long to refill/fill anyway. So ultimately, other than the sometimes clunky gameplay and the really awful inattention to the actual era, there are a lot of good things about the game. Oh, it fills my widescreen only by stretching out a good bit and there's no way to do any kind of correction (like bring in black bars to even it out, etc.)

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jul 13, 13 10:59 AM
I had played the demo of the CE version on another site and was worried that the SE version might have had all the "fun stuff" removed. Not the case, at all! The storyline is rather imaginative and it has good voice overs, nice graphics, lovely music and really good HOS. We are all used to HOS where some items need an extra step to find, but these have morphing objects in the HOS. You can also switch to a match-3 instead of the HOS. The mini-games are not the ho-hum type, but most challenge those "little gray cells" a bit. To get the instructions for the mini-games, just click on the glowing green bottle in your lower right corner (serves as your hint in any other situation). You are awarded coins for completing the HOS (or match-3) and mini-games. There are special medallions to find to increase your coins. You can shop for power-ups (especially useful for those who prefer the match-3 option). There is an interactive map that shows where you are and where tasks still have to be completed. Judging by the amount of area that is still "unexplored" it looks like this will be a nice long game. Having played the demo here, this is now a definite purchase. (I'll wait until Monday and get an extra punch.) I have a PCC just spoiling to be used. I think most people will find this an enjoyable, fun game.

Edited on 07/13/2013 at 12:29:45 PM PST

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Jul 13, 13 11:50 AM
Haven't played yet, (waiting for download) but this sounds like a great game. Have been not to happy about the games that have been coming out. Seems like I get into it for five minutes and I am bored or it is to easy even in the difficult mode. So anxious to play... thank you everyone for the feedback.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 13, 13 1:37 PM
I played for about 10 minutes. Can't believe this is a SE as it is equal to some of the CE's they have been foistering on us lately. I will definitely be using one of my coupons on this game. I suggest you try it for yourself as usual.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 13, 13 2:58 PM
WOW ...am TOTALLY AMAZED...that this is an SE and not a CE, not complaining though ..so happy to FINALLY have a GREAT SE game, to use one of my free earned credits on, THANKS BF .

This one though, at least for me anyway, makes you use those brain cells , and sometimes mine are not firing on all cilanders , but I am up for the challenge.
Like another fishie mentioned, I am having an issue with the game not working when I click on certain things .
The monster battle is an example, I was using the correct item, don't want to say, to spoil it for others, and it wouldn't work, so clicked on hint, it was the same item I tried using, but after clicking on the hint, than the item did work, after I tried it again.

Besides that, love the other special touches this game offers, morphing objects in H0 scenes..AWESOME idea, COOL and interesting M3 game, coins and chest, OH YEA ...and a HUGE PLUS, totally different from other games I've played!

These developers have some COOL and GREAT idea's, VERY ENTERTAINING game IMHO !!

Am enjoying so far ... .

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 13, 13 3:57 PM
"Deo Gloria." Wow! I almost missed this one while looking at the CE for today. Actually, I am playing an adventure game right now which is very similar to this game. Very strange indeed. However, that one has no HOGS and is much more difficult than this endeavor. And, you can play it in Latin if you wish. (Just an inside for those who survived Catholic schools). I wish I had seen this one before purchasing the CE for today which is dreadful. I don't know if I can play 2 hell, fire and brimstone games at the same time. I am surprised that this one was not listed as a CE as well. A nice little game, but I may keep this for future play as I may join a religious order if I have to play two similar games about the Plague.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 13, 13 7:18 PM
Wow, interesting game! Graphics were nothing special, nice game play. Music not bad but got old real fast. HOGs were quite different and fun, but take some time to complete. There is a lot of running around, while trying to figure out your next move.

Did not care for the skip button. Found myself getting anxious when I couldn't figure out where to go or what to do and the hint was not charged. You can buy extra items, but they didn't make much sense to me. The instructions at the beginning of the game were not very helpful. This game definitely needs a walkthrough! You have way too many things going on at the same time, so you really need to pay attention.

I did not dislike this game, but it was frustrating. You need a lot of patience and an orderly mind for this one, which I usually have, but I don't have it today. I will put this one in my puddle and wait to see if there is a WT coming.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you wanted today. Thanks for the reviews.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jul 13, 13 11:53 PM
Hphmmm...interactive map when u click hint, it brings u there, match 3 was not that easy coz u had to bring down those magnifying glass. I was stuck on the HOS coz as usual I breeze thru and didnt bother to read instructions on how to play it. Unlike other HOS which offers m3, whereby u had to match certain number of items to complete the m3, here u had to get all the magnifying glasses, can be hair tearing

mini puzzles are sometimes hair tearing, but its fun. great graphics, storyline and coins to collect.

Psst: BFG is having sales on ce games, so why not buy a ce and got $ left over to get this?

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jul 14, 13 1:18 AM
The morphing objects in the HOS drove me nuts. The music got my blood pressure up and gave me a headache, and it repeats the same motif over and over, so no relief from it unless you turn it off. Trying to fight the flower monster did me in. JustTheFacts is right -- this game won't be for everyone, and it certainly won't be for me.

It's obvious the HOS haters have complained so loud and so long that developers are trying anything they can think of to create some excitement for them. Well, what about us puzzle haters? When are they going to do something about that?

I don't like to play games that you have to collect rewards to buy hints. I don't like timed games. I don't care about achievements or extras. I just want a spooky Hidden Object Adventure game with no frills and no puzzles or at least puzzles that I don't have to sit and stare at the screen before skipping. I don't think that's too much to ask!

Sorry for the rant. I don't mean to offend anyone, but there hasn't been a game lately that I wanted to buy, and I've been disappointed in too many of the ones I've bought.

ETA: I'm really starting to consider if I want to continue to be a BF member.

Edited on 07/14/2013 at 1:22:58 AM PST

bt1151
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by bt1151 on Jul 14, 13 7:23 AM
I haven't been able to find a game I wanted to buy for a long time so I was happily surprised when I tried this one today.
The developers seemed to want to try every gimmick there is so there was a bit much going on at once but it made a nice change.
I have no idea about the length but I have an almost expired coupon and at last I know where to spend it.
Let's give these devs a chance.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 14, 13 10:50 AM
A very unusual game and at first I didn't know if I was going to like it or not? I gave it another shot this morning and rather like. It has a lot of bells and whistles and think it will be one of my favorites. The graphics are quite good, has map, puzzles are different and HOG's are too. It's a strange story and the characters are quite good. Has voice overs and like them too. All in all.. GREAT.. Will Give this a 4 out 5 stars..

celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on Jul 14, 13 2:13 PM
Super great game. Interesting story line. Don't recognize the dev, but they sure have it pulled together.
Superb graphics, interactive map, lots of HOs, minigames are medium difficulty, Long game play. I took several hours over several days to finish. Only one glitch...in the room past the Labyrinth, the game play is slowed to a crawl. Cursor wont respond, minigame wont allow you to finish. Once you get past that room, everything goes as usual. The HOs have morphing objects inside them, but not in regular game play. I found this one exceedingly interesting to play. It really held my attention. Kudos to the devs and Big Fish for this one. Really nice that it is an SE. I was beginning to think my coupon credits would expire before I could find something decent to play. This is it!!!
Almost forgot....lots of Achievements to work for too.

Edited on 07/14/2013 at 2:13:55 PM PST

kittyfish51
Marlin
Marlin
8,439 Posts

[Post New]by kittyfish51 on Jul 14, 13 11:08 PM
Based on part of the demo - WOW this is a great SE. My only con is that sometimes the action is a bit clunky when using the glove. But a small price to pay for such a fun and involved game. I am a huge fan of the collectibles and other enhanced game play and this game delivers. L love the morphing objects in the HOGs and that all are not needed so you can't go just by the morphing. Would love more SE's like this.....

Go to: