bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Build-a-Lot: Mysteries

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 16, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Build-a-Lot: Mysteries ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Build-a-Lot: Mysteries page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Build-a-Lot: Mysteries

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 16, 13 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jul 16, 13 9:35 AM
Good afternoon everyone Shut the front door Build-A-Lot goes Norman Bates ! Talk about there goes the neighborhood FINALLY a creepy building game. I've been wanting a creepy building game for so long thank you dev's you hit it dead on and trust me I think most of the folks in these neighborhoods are probably the dearly departed and I know some of the folks you work for are starting with Auntie Agnes oh yeah this old girl is a sight for sore eyes not to mention she only has one good eye !

The set up is the same as all build-a-lot's but this one is set in creepy neighborhoods building some famous looking creepy houses especially that Dutch Colonial I think I saw a purple pig in the upstairs window and I'm pretty sure I heard someone tell me to "get out" just before the chandeliers started shaking and all the furniture started flying around the room. I'm loving this one it's a hoot !

The graphics are really nice the story is cool with a creepy twist. The game is fun it's fresh and something we haven't seen in a builder before and I truly welcome that being a huge fan of the supernatural and creepy so I jumped dead on this one and bought it right away. The game play is the same as the others building homes and buildings, hiring workers, buying materials, upgrading homes collecting rent and buying and selling. With this one there are little things to watch for in each level that will randomly appear on the playing field so far I've come across a mysterious map that Auntie Agnes needs to talk to the spirits about and some rune stones so keep an eye out for little things popping up.

The homes you build look like some out of horror movies such as the Dutch Colonial, and the Victorian I think I saw mother upstairs in the Victorian. There are achievements with this one. I'm not sure if there is a relaxed mode or not but you can replay the levels if your not happy the first time around. The upgrades don't change the looks of the house because they occur on the inside of the home like fireplaces, new kitchens and so on and there is a little window that pops up in the bottom left hand corner showing you what upgrades are being installed.

All in all this is a really cool game and I love the creepy twist so a huge thank you to the dev's for doing this one. Give the demo a try it's worth it. Thank you dev's for this creepilicious game and thank you Big Fish for another day of no domestic goddess duties. Have fun everybody !

CEdem
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by CEdem on Jul 16, 13 11:25 AM
My two cents:

I love and bought this entire series so of course after trial was over at level 9 or 10, I had to buy it.
PROS: Love the graphics and spooky storyline, LOVE that they didn't mess with it, it plays just as the others so easy to know what to expect.

CONS: I usually have to give a level or two an extra try for expert time.......with this one, at level 13 I believe, I am struggling. NOT for expert, but just to finish in time.
If there were a way to get rid of the timer, this would be a great game for me.

Edit by me:
Forgot to mention, this is the 9th of the series, in case you missed any. There were also monopoly and fairy tail versions.

Edited on 07/19/2013 at 2:14:06 AM PST

ronnancy
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by ronnancy on Jul 16, 13 3:03 PM

There's a Build a Lot Monopoly? How come Big Fish doesn't have that one?

Sylviald
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Sylviald on Jul 16, 13 5:47 PM
ronnancy wrote:
There's a Build a Lot Monopoly? How come Big Fish doesn't have that one?

I must have missed that one too. Who has it if BF don't?

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jul 17, 13 8:28 AM
same game different premises, kinda of tired of it, graphics is good, but I dont really know whether I got gold silver or just blanks

I thought the defaulted 1 hr trial will just go to campaign mode, which shld let me know my achievement?

Not for me guys,

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on Jul 18, 13 5:47 AM
I'm sorry I bought this. I should have realized the inability to keep going in the Mystery mode after the timer runs out is next to impossible to do. You get a list of 3 or 4 things that you need to accomplish. As soon as you get close to getting those done, they throw in another task and there's NO time left to do it. The casual mode is boring.

Dev should have allowed the keep playing feature. I quit after Level 10 and won't finish it. Too frustrating!

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jul 18, 13 2:36 PM
I like this one.

I have enjoyed the previous Build-a-lot games.

The mystery idea sounds fun.

This one goes on the to buy list.

Thanks Devs & BF!

Angel

Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Jul 19, 13 8:21 PM
I have most of the Build-a-Lot games and was pleased to see this come up. However, after opening the game and reading the comments, this is a no buy for me. There is no casual mode.

Edited to add: Well I was wrong! Completely forgot that one has to work through the first town before being eligible to play in the casual mode. I'll finish the demo just to check it out.

Have to say, that having to do the first part before going casual is getting old.

Edited on 07/20/2013 at 9:42:53 AM PST

RIHope08
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by RIHope08 on Jul 20, 13 12:07 PM
Keeping it Simple: UGGGH!!! and 13 is my lucky number and to no avail, Your out of time! Its a Mystery to me...

judyj450
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by judyj450 on Jul 22, 13 6:05 AM
why can't the designer of this and all BAL games include a strategy guide? you really need one in this game. I usually can do it even if not in the expert mode, but this last one mysteries I just can't get it and then can't go on to next level. I would gladly pay extra for a strategy guide. PLEASE!!!!!!! Show a little mercy huh? I am a big fan of BAL, but honestly I don't have a whole lot of time in this world LOL

[Post New]by byugem1 on Jul 23, 13 5:06 AM
I was excited to see another BAL game. I purchased all of the BAL so I knew I had to have this one too. Only thing ...I can't seem to get in to this one. I don't know what it is about this game that lacks the excitement for me.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jul 24, 13 7:16 AM
Just like all of the Build A Lot games, this plays with the same game mechanics. Along the way, instead of helping mayors with their towns, you are dealing with some people who are creepy (well, sort of). It's not difficult to work out what creatures they actually are. One annoying feature is the pop up dialogue during gameplay. The clock continues to tick at a fast rate during these pop ups and they can be very annoying when they appear over a house you are working on. At the very least, if you are expected to read, then the clock should be paused.

I really enjoy these types of builders so I like this one too. In the later stages it does become difficult to achieve expert and you really need to strategise to make the -200 appeal on level 30 by demolishing and re-building certain structures elsewhere.

I have a couple of gripes, though, and this goes for all of the BAL games:

I really hate it that when you complete a level a huge window comes up and you are not given a chance to pause the game, take a breather and recap on what you did so you can help others. No chance to see any of your buildings.

Secondly, why in these games, when you replay a previous level so you can help someone who got stuck, you are then forced to replay your last level? I should be on 31 now. Instead it's asking me to replay 30 (for the third time!). That's just wrong and I wish the developers would do something about this.

Other than that, these are massively addictive games and I'd still recommend them.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Sep 24, 13 1:42 AM
Bet you $20 that whoever worked on the first several games had nothing to do with making the disaster that is Build a Lot Mysteries.
I am (was) a huge BAL fan & I'm SO annoyed at myself for having bought this. In fact, BAL is one of only 2 series of games that I ever would have trusted enough to buy with out even demonstrating first. This particular one in the series, though is just awful - whereas none of the others even have a bad element to them.

Its not just the fact that I cant finish most levels at all, much less achieve gold. Its not just the fact that in-game characters pop up AFTER that "gold" point in the game has passed with additional tasks for you to do. Its not just that the scary/spooky feel that they seemed to be going for ended up feeling creepy as heck with that guy who is sort of the main character. And I don't mean creepy in a spine-tingling, exciting way. I mean creepy in an "I really wish to never have to lay eyes on this skin-crawling sex crimes dude" sort of way. Its all this combined with the fact that the charm of SO many other Build a Lot games is gone.

I am normally very good at these types of games so if I cant do it...I dunno! Wouldn't bode well for a first timer I'm sure.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Sep 26, 13 9:47 AM
I very much enjoyed this game, like all the previous quality games in the series. I like solving the puzzle set by each level. I didn't care about the mystery theme, but the captions did make me laugh a few times whilst playing, so I guess that's good. I didn't spend much more time on it than previous Build-a-lots and I'm used to the extra requirements shtick, it's there in plenty of the previous games in the series. I really liked that they put in a few slightly more difficult problems, I was quite happy to have a decent challenge, and they would have had to make them a LOT tougher to put me off. I'm happy to put in a bit of time if a game interests me.

Jexzl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Jexzl on Jan 6, 14 3:27 PM
Hello!

I love the Build-a-lot-Series, but I was rather disappointed in that one. I know a lot of people complained about the earlier parts being too difficult, but "Mysteries" (and "Fairy Tales" before) were far too easy for my taste. The gameplay itself was at its usual good quality,I still love playing it, but it's not a real challenge anymore

Furthermore I didn't like the "Mystery"-Theme, the mood reminds me of the typical HOG, and we've seen enough of those. I don't insist on the style you used in the games before (although I liked it very much and sometimes miss it) but while "Fairy Tales" had some really original buildings and even a storyline that made me smile once in a while, I felt "Mysteries" was a step back: same old buildings, without the lightness that I liked about them.

I started playing this kind of TM/Strategy-games because of "Build-a-lot", and it's the reason I'm a BigFish-member, so I still hope you're planning a next part!

[Post New]by llois50 on May 6, 14 12:49 PM
I was very disappointed in this version. It had the name and potential to be new and fun...but it was the same old game. I love and own all the build a lots...but was hoping this one would have more mystery to it....not just a story line.

I do have to say, that most levels took 2 or 3 tries...but I blue ribboned all of them. One little tip.....restart a level until you find the layout you want.

Edited on 05/06/2014 at 12:58:24 PM PST

Starchild6
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by Starchild6 on Jun 28, 14 6:45 PM
Excellent game! Every level is a challenge, especially once you get to the expert level. If you are easily frustrated, this game is probably not for you. It is definitely a game of logic. I am an average player, and I have to try different strategies to find the one that works. Some levels I must play over and over to get the blue medal, but I consider that a high recommendation for a game. If it is too easy, what is the point?

The results are hours of playing time, and a real feeling of success when you finally are successful. I have resorted to tips on a few levels, but usually someone else's strategy just gets me started. I seldom do it the same way as anyone else.

So if you are up for a real tough game that will stimulate "your little gray cells", this is the game for you! If you are easily frustrated, then perhaps you had better skip it.

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Jul 29, 14 4:56 PM
mkastor wrote:I'm sorry I bought this. I should have realized the inability to keep going in the Mystery mode after the timer runs out is next to impossible to do. You get a list of 3 or 4 things that you need to accomplish. As soon as you get close to getting those done, they throw in another task and there's NO time left to do it. The casual mode is boring.

Dev should have allowed the keep playing feature. I quit after Level 10 and won't finish it. Too frustrating!

I'm not sorry yet...but I'm on level 9, and can't make the $500,000 in cash needed to move on. AND, if I'm right, going to the "Untimed" mode, the game seems to change? Not same game, I don't think???

Go to: