bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Jewel Venture

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 17, 13 12:29 AM
Jewel Venture is an exciting puzzle game that takes Match-3 gameplay to new heights! Explore the colorful Jewel Venture universe and immerse yourself in a one-of-a-kind puzzle experience. The deeper you dive in, the tougher the challenges get. Unravel the most tangled scenarios and enjoy your hard-earned rewards. Experience a new kind of puzzle game and discover the world of Jewel Venture!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Jewel Venture

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 17, 13 2:27 AM
It looks like we are having an "oldie" day or even an "oldie month"?

I don't know why I even bothered with the demo, but I never want to judge a game by its screenshots alone, so I gave it a go.

No widescreen, and every few seconds (18 at the most), there is a flash of light going from left to right over the playing field. Very annoying, very distructing, very old-fashioned.

You can play different modes, and play either timed or untimed.

Didn't care for the tiles - didn't look very nice. Right on the very first level I got tiles behind bars, and was told I can only free them with special weapons (like, I already had an arsenal right there on that very first level - not). So that annoyed me too.

At the bottom of the playing field you will see certain tiles, and a number next to them. That means you have to destroy that amount of of those shapes.

Didn't last longer than the first level. Sorry, but compared to this one, the "Old Clockmaker's Riddle" is an outstanding M3 game. Just as well it's only a soft release.

But give it a go, you might just like it. It just wasn't for me.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jul 17, 13 3:04 AM
Good morning everyone Somebody alert the media ! There is no way this is a match 3 a match of madness maybe because honestly this one made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever, granted I'm not the crispiest chip in the bag but come on are you kidding me with this one. I don't know where they were going or where they wanted to go with this one but I'm definitely not jumping on that ride nope no way no how. This was basically a fusion of confusion and I lasted about twenty minutes with it before I said if I keep playing this one I'm gonna end up in a padded room. Sorry dev's I appreciate the effort but I'm gonna have to pass on this one and even when it becomes the DD nope it just ain't happening with this one. However this is just my personal opinion so don't let that discourage you from trying it go ahead and give it a run.
Have fun everybody !

Edited on 07/17/2013 at 3:06:26 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 17, 13 3:46 AM
Gmac...

Always a pleasure to read your reviews. Love them, because they always put a smile on my face.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jul 17, 13 4:36 AM
Valdy wrote:Gmac...

Always a pleasure to read your reviews. Love them, because they always put a smile on my face.
Hi Valdy Thank you very much it's always nice to see yours as well.

romany09
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by romany09 on Jul 17, 13 5:07 AM
I was just ready to buy this because I loved the chaos and music. I was playing untimed mode and each level presents something special to do to complete it. I got to one called "BALANCE" and played it 10 times and lost each time because it's TIMED! I had to get approximately 25 of two different colors and needless to say, if I selected untimed mode to begin with, there was no way I was going to excel at a timed level. NO BUY FOR ME BECAUSE OF THE TIMED BALANCE LEVEL!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jul 17, 13 8:50 PM
I was so excited when I read in reviews that this was a difficult M3! I like to consider myself good at this kind of game and I love them for a break from Adventure/Hidden Object.

This one, however, just mad me to angry I don't even know how many times I tried to beat the Time Traveler level! I tried every different combination I could think of and read the instructions over and over. No matter what I simply could not beat it or even figure out exactly what I needed to beat it!

Since that level is very early in the game from the looks of things I can only imagine what the rest will consist of. I have played many of this type that I had to play a round 4 or 5 times and I appreciate that. I need the challenge but this stumped me.

Really wanted this to

Did anyone get very far?

hellfern
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by hellfern on Jul 18, 13 8:26 AM
Looked promising until I hit Balancing Act in the timed mode. Impossible. Luck is playing to large a role in this level.. Improve or no buy.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jul 18, 13 1:16 PM

Hi Valdy, GMAC1007, Hellfern, Bratzgram and Romany09

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only person feeling these sentiments. I don't mind difficult but this appears to be WAY OUT THERE and I'm not even sure the fastest playing teenager could get very far with this game and it has 1000 levels?!? Oi Vay

MEnr56

Edited on 07/18/2013 at 1:17:37 PM PST

Zacx
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Zacx on Jul 19, 13 11:16 AM
Valdy (and others), do you think the flash of light is a technical issue or a characteristic of the game? Does anyone but Valdy and I get that flash? It drove me crazy. I wrote about it in a review but Big Fish rejected the review saying that it was a technical issue. I don't know.

romany09
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by romany09 on Jul 21, 13 11:26 AM
MEnr56:

You're so right! I keep coming back to see if they've put a skip on the Balancing game, at least. I really would like to buy it. Sigh...Well, thanks for making me smile!

Edited on 07/21/2013 at 11:27:53 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jul 21, 13 1:17 PM
Romany09, the secret to the balancing act levels is to pay attention to the colored test tubes on the left. You have to match the stated number of jewels at the bottom of the game board, but each match of those colors adds weight to the test tube of that color. If you have too much weight on one side or the other the scale tips over and the level is forfeited. So it is a matter of pacing out the color matches (and avoiding the use of a remove color bomb on one of the stated colors). If you are playing in untimed mode it doesn't matter how long you take just as long as the scale doesn't get tipped over. Enjoy!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jul 21, 13 1:42 PM
bratzgram wrote:I don't even know how many times I tried to beat the Time Traveler level! I tried every different combination I could think of and read the instructions over and over. No matter what I simply could not beat it or even figure out exactly what I needed to beat it!

I will confess to being stuck on the time traveller level of the ninth planet in timed mode. You have to get the jewels marked with a "+[number from 1-5]" to come out, then match them or use a powerup on them. Then that number will be applied to the amount needed on the left side of the screen. It starts out at say, 0/20, and if you collect a +2 jewel for instance, the counter will then say 2/20. You have to collect enough to reach the second number (20 in this example). Time Traveller isn't hard in untimed mode, but in timed it's really insane since the timer is set at 1:00 and the number goal must be met before that minute expires. If you manage to do it, you will get a timer increase and can keep on playing until the timer expires for more stars. I haven't figured out the exact secret to getting large amounts of the numbered jewels to come out at once, but getting large cascades seem to help.

Zacx wrote:Valdy (and others), do you think the flash of light is a technical issue or a characteristic of the game?

The graphics remind me strongly of the first Bejeweled, and that game had the same across the screen flash. I think it's just part of the game.

Go to: