bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Jewel Venture

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 17, 13 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Jewel Venture ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Jewel Venture page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Jewel Venture

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 17, 13 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

otineke
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by otineke on Jul 17, 13 2:46 PM
i found it very anoying that there is a flash going over the board all the time, like
to play a game but not wanting a migrain.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jul 21, 13 12:52 AM
This is not a zen-out type of M3 for the most part. Although the game can be played in untimed mode, some of the 10 different variations of swap M3 play require careful planning and strategy to solve, and the game has a really steep learning curve. Timed mode is very aggressively timed and three starring a board is no easy feat after the first planet. Depending on what game mode you are in you either have to play all 10 board types per planet or do an entire planet of just one board style. There is one mode where it looks like you can just zen out and swap jewels to relax.

Graphics and soundtrack were so-so, nothing particularly special. Game interface seems clumsy as there were not well thought out tutorials for how to play each board type, and there is no "help" button anywhere that I could find to explain how to get all the various powerups. It is easy to miss the bonus powerup tray at the bottom and forget to use those as they become enabled. Apparently lots of trophies to win in timed mode, but the player isn't made aware of them until some goal is reached, and suddenly a popup will appear saying a trophy was won. There is also the strange bit of the game asking if you want to continue every time you head to a new planet. Don't play it for the looks, but only if you want a serious challenge. Would not recommend this for beginners.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Aug 4, 13 5:29 PM
Please re-read "synthpopAddict's review, and read it carefully. He explained it so much better than I could ever hope to.

I am a great lover of Match-3 games, and not too shabby a player (IMHO - note the word HUMBLE).

The instructions leave more than much to be desired. There are 10 different variations/goals to achieve to move on to the next planet. Man, I was so lost - even after the instructions for that goal, I kept saying to myself: "Self, what the heck are you suppose to do here?" As far as the power ups were concerned, other than the bomb, I had no idea what they were for.

You can pretty well get away with that "unknowing" type of play for the first planet, but the second one, absolutely not. You have to realize what you are doing, use the powerups to your advantage every step of the way. Although it may not be timed (at least the version I was playing), it is not the type of Match-3 where when you make a 4 or 5 match swap, and all those jewels come flying down to the bottom, you think you have done a great thing! WRONG. In about half of the goal-oriented levels, you have to make sure you don't make any matches that are not exactly what you want, and will not cause other matches to be made that will ruin your "goal."

Way too hard for me. You do get to play a level again if you #FAIL, but if you have no idea what you are doing in the first place, it's hard to adjust your matches to meat the goal you need to meet.

The jewels are not going to give you a migraine or an epilepsy attack. I turned the music down to nothing because I love to hear the clinking of the jewels as they fall, but even that became too stressful for me.

Honestly, I was totally lost throughout the entire hour, and I did try my hardest. That is not what I want out of a Match-3 game, but some of you I'm sure will enjoy the challenge - and a challenge it certainly is. Please try before you buy.

PS - there was no other play that I came across during my hour trial, i.e., building of cities or even a chance to see the planet you unlocked. I like that kind of stuff - at a minimum. No buy for me. Feel lost and confused in Jewel Venture!

Ellaclare
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Ellaclare on Aug 22, 13 1:57 AM
There are some major gliches in the game. I only tried Adventure Mode but instructions would appear as illegible jumbles of lines and dots, and "OK/Continue" boxes wouldn't appear at all. I found I had to click all over the screen to try and guess where they were to simply move on. Eventually I couldn't even guess what I was supposed to do or where I should click so I couldn't even get to the home screen to quit. It was a case of Ctrl, Alt, Delete as my only means of escape.The game may need a little work.
Cheers.

LobsterMann
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by LobsterMann on Aug 30, 13 2:59 PM
otineke wrote:i found it very anoying that there is a flash going over the board all the time, like to play a game but not wanting a migraine

I would agree with that as well as the object in some of the rounds is not particularly clear like Time Traveller, I'm not sure what I do to win. The flashing though is horrid and the music/sound is not much better. I like the special effects but I think this game needs better backgrounds as well as getting rid of that flash.

threeds
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by threeds on Sep 2, 13 3:27 PM
this game certainly has potential with the different rounds, but with Time Traveler especially when the items with the times on them don't even appear til almost through the slim minute that is allowed it is more than frustrating.

Like other players, I can't figure out what I did to get some of the powerups, and then I don't seem to be able to place the powerups from the bottom where I want them to get rid of the boxed items..

hope there are fixes or better explanations for this as I would love to keep going with it, but the frustration is too much

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Sep 2, 13 8:10 PM
Since this is the reviews thread I hope this post won't get removed, but I've found that if playing in timed mode you pretty much just need to go fast on the Time Traveller rounds and try to get some cascades going. This brings out the numbered jewels more quickly in most cases. These boards were definitely the hardest for me to master in timed. But the untimed mode is a good way to practice these levels. The powerups from the bottom tray will get placed onto the boards randomly; there is not a way to control their placement as far as I can tell. [spoilers on powerups-click and drag to read]

making 3 regular M3s gives a radial bomb
making 3 M4s gives a remove color bomb
making M5s in L or T shaped patterns gives either the remove row (red crystal) or remove row and column (blue crystal) bombs after 2 or 3(?) of these matches respectively
I can't confirm this because timed mode is so frantic, but I think making enough M6 or M7 matches randomly awards the other powerups like time freeze, invert board, flashlight, free ride, reshuffle board, or meteor storm.

[end spoilers]

angelfiche
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by angelfiche on Oct 18, 13 12:27 AM
I just wanted to say to Synthpop thank you for your explanations of the powerups on this game, they've helped me out massively in understanding what the heck I'm doing :-)

Go to: