bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Trackers: Silent Hollow Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jul 18, 13 12:35 AM
Hi everyone!

What do you think of Mystery Trackers: Silent Hollow Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mystery Trackers: Silent Hollow Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Trackers: Silent Hollow Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jul 18, 13 12:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jul 18, 13 1:07 AM
Played half the demo. A very modern game. What I mean is it has all the things the latest games have, it's like a very trendy, fashionable game.Thing is I'm not into fashion at all, I prefer solid, old fashioned quality. I must say though the wife will love this game and it is a sure thing buy for me as well. It is very well done, lovely graphics and nice involved game play. There are little games and puzzles all over the place. A very nice map is very helpful showing you where you need to be. The audio got a tiny bit irritating to be honest, it is very dramatic, it is trying too hard and had to be turned down. A personal thing but far too many dogs, I hate the things, you even get one as a 'little helper' (fashion again). Money to spend in a shop, achievements, 'pets' to find and all the other trendy clutter fill the game up to be a very busy one. I usually find all this stuff an unnecessary distraction but here it was easy to ignore and get on with the meat of the game .Like I said, wife will love it.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 18, 13 2:17 AM
Oh Wow! Such Delightful Excess!

BASED ON FULL DEMO

This game is, happily, totally OVER THE TOP. It has everything we’ve ever asked for – um, except a JOURNAL. This 5th game of the Mystery Trackers series is definitely the best so far, and I already rate one of these games (Raincliff) as one of the BEST EVER.

We have the sumptuous graphics of an ELEPHANT EXTRAVAGANZA, vibrant colours, crystal clear realism, imaginative invention. The moment the game opens you are overwhelmed by technical expertise and artistic talent.

As a Mystery Trackers agent, you are called in to investigate the ultimate emergency, a ROGUE AGENT. Considering what we are capable of doing, and the kinds of weapons and gadgetry available to us, this is as dangerous to the world as JAMES BOND gone over to the DARK SIDE. Agents are falling victim to his attacks all over, and only you seem immune.

The STORY would have been great fun, even if the GAMEPLAY wasn’t, but of course it is! HO SCENES are bright, clear, and the objects well defined. They are INTERACTIVE LISTS, and at this stage each is visited just the once. The PUZZLES & MINI-GAMES, have all been doable to me so far, and look great.

The ADVENTURE is the DOMINANT aspect of this game and that is where it gets really interesting. We have many resources to draw on. There is an INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP, HINTFUL HINT (that is, it gives you suggestions, not directions), and 4 MODES OF DIFFICULTY, so name your own choice of SKIP, sparkles etc.

As well, from our LAST ADVENTURE, we have retained the services of our FAITHFUL COMPANION, Elf, who is also immune to the rogue agents MIND CONTROLLING weapons. We also have 3 PARANORMAL ABILITIES, which must be activated as we go.

We will run into the victims along the way, and from them we COLLECT DOSSIERS on each agent, their PSYCHIC PET, and weaponry. So in total, we have 15 PETS in our menagerie. There are also DUCATS (gold coins) to collect for purchases in the 2 SHOPS, the agency one and ELF’S SHOP.

There are dozens of TROPHIES too.

In the BONUS CONTENT we have the usual GALLERY ITEMS, plus the 2 SHOPS, the PETS, a SECRET ROOM, the SG and a BONUS CHAPTER (as well as 6 main game chapters).

If I’ve missed something I wouldn’t be surprised, the 45 minutes of the demo were ACTION-PACKED, EXCITIING and INVOLVING.

I can’t wait to get this game!

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jul 18, 13 2:19 AM
If you liked the other Mystery Trackers, you will like this one. The devs have kept sme things, added some others, and mixed the story up a bit…

This time it's trouble at headquarters. Strange masks are possessing the agents, they are falling like flies, and their animal companions are roaming the town alone. With Alf by your side, you are on the case!

Game play:
A fourth level of game mode (Detective) has been added -- absolutely no help (except for occasional black bar info), no hints, no skips, no sparkles and no hot spot indicators. Expert is the same but cursor changes and black bar info is there for all hot spots; Advanced has hints and skips, Casual has sparkles for HOs.
You will acquire 3 special abilities
No morphing objects. You do collect the stray animal companions and coins to shop for them.
Widescreen -- cut scenes artwork is less distinct that the rest.
Voice overs
Fast travel Map
Achievements
Interactive HOs -- no substitute
Puzzles outnumbered HOs in demo time; some were cleverly presented, none were difficult
Diary -- keeps track of agent info
Store -- besides shopping for the animals there is something else -- sorry, did not have more chance to find out how that worked

CE content:
Bonus game play
Replay HOs and Puzzles ??
The list of usual Fluff
Yikes -- I forgot to look at the TOC -- don't know how many chapters

TBC…

Edited on 07/18/2013 at 2:29:06 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jul 18, 13 2:21 AM
Continued…
I played the entire demo -- got involved enough to not check / remember certain things. I suppose there is a task list some where; maybe indicators on the map? There were a lot of tasks and activities. I actually didn't get very far. Still missing tools to complete several tasks. It looks like this will have decent length, and for pokey players like me, the game could be long. I appreciate that the game feels different from the previous Mystery Trackers. Play in Detective Mode as I did and you will be clicking everywhere.

Absolutely will recommend you try the demo. I cannot say it is just a simple walk in the park.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 18, 13 3:00 AM
If you enjoyed previous Mystery Trackers games, you'll probably like this one.

The story is there's something fishy going on at Mystery Trackers headquarters, and you're the only agent left that can help. Bad things are happening to other agents, so you're sent to stop the bad guy.

Pros:
+ Nice graphics.
+ Music is good Voiceovers are just ok, though.
+ Puzzles are good. Nothing too hard, but they are interesting, at least.
+ H0 scenes are interactive.
+ Four modes of gameplay.
+ Collectibles, coins to find and use, and achievements. I like the collectibles because the descriptions for them are kind of funny.
+ This one is probably just me, but I like the game's interface. It automatically takes pictures of certain things (and people) and puts them into your dossier. There's also a little tab you can click on to tell you your tasks.
+ There's a jump map. It's a little too detailed for my liking playing in hard mode, though.

Neutral:
The little helper dog, Elf, is back. I like him, but I feel like the game relies far too much on him to get inventory items. If there's a hole or a small space, Elf goes in there.

Cons:
- Achievements aren't difficult, and most you can get just by playing the game and getting to certain parts of the story.
- Some people like this, but I don't: There's a section in the extras where you can use coins you find in the game to buy things. Normally I enjoy those, especially ones where you can decorate your office or rebuild a town. I don't, however, like how one of these sections in this game is just so sickly sweet and cute. Tone it down, please. LoL

All in all, this is a pretty fun game. There's lots of stuff to do, and I found the story entertaining. I want to know who is up to what in the game!

Edited on 07/18/2013 at 3:03:06 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 18, 13 3:15 AM
Since JustTheFacts and shorenuf have done an excellent job with their reviews and listing the various modes/achievements/pets/collectibles etc., suffice to say this is far and away the best CE to be released for some time.

Graphics are gorgeous as usual with this developer; crystal clear and the gamma option in the settings is useful if you find it a touch too dark. The HOS are well thought out and not over-used; I only came across 2 in the demo. Puzzles a-plenty and none were difficult. Your pet dog Elf is along for the ride again and is handy for those awkward places you can't quite reach. And you now have 'abilities', which I won't mention here so as not to spoil it for others (but they too are very handy!).

The story is interesting, albeit wildly far-fetched but then this is a game so it can be as crazy as it likes! Nice voice-overs, transportable map and 4 modes of play; I chose casual, as sometimes this series of games can be quite hard to figure out when I've opted for advanced mode. But it wasn't sparkling all over the place, even in casual mode.

I have 2 credits and they will be used today for this excellent game

ETA: After closing the game for a break, realised I was playing in advanced mode after all. No wonder there were no sparkles!

Edited on 07/18/2013 at 6:39:34 AM PST

BronzeLady
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by BronzeLady on Jul 18, 13 6:17 AM
Others have commented on all the features in the game, so I making a comment on the game play itself. I think I just experienced the fastest hour of my life, or free trial, which ever we got. I rarely play a new game past 15 min. By then I know if I want to buy the game or not. But this time I was so engrossed in the game's activities that I had forgot to monitor the time and had timed out. The graphics are gorgeous and it's an exciting game to play.

One comment tho to the devs .. I hate having my name in all CAPS. I have never seen this subject addressed, so maybe I alone find this irritating. Thx for a gr8 game .. it's a def buy for me.

sollys
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by sollys on Jul 18, 13 7:01 AM
The download took 4 minutes. The game operated smoothly. It is a terrific game. Makes you think even with the strategy guide. I own the 4 previous Mystery Trackers which were all great playing and this 5th installment is no exception.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 18, 13 7:41 AM
For some reason, I have the feeling I've played this game before. I don't know if it was a demo or Beta, but I remember it was a great game, and Elf looks like my Chihuahua. i'll probably take a chance and buy it (Again?) Needless to say, I'd recommend it, but try for yourself.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 18, 13 8:49 AM
Yep, you guessed it...a nice special and I already have the other 4 in the series. These are really nice games, put together well and fun to play. Graphics and game play are very good. Music is nice, and I didn't even turn it down like usually do. HOGs are clean and simple, nothing is hard to find. Games are not difficult, but take a little thought to complete. Nice voice overs, which always make a game for me. Hint fills fairly quickly and is very helpful. Excellent SG (I especially like that they list all the chapters).

Elf dog is back and he has a very cute family with him. You can use coins you gather to buy them items, which is a bit of fun. You can also use the coins to buy other things, but I didn't get that far, so don't quite know what that is all about. You need to find animals again, which is different and fun for me...makes me pay more attention to each scene.

As I said, I have the other 4 and really liked them all. This one is no exception. It is not extremely challenging, but it hooked me in and kept my attention for the entire demo (I had 18 minutes left when time ran out). Yes, I'm still off CE games, but dang it, I have the need to add this one to my collection and see where it goes. Definite buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jul 18, 13 10:52 AM
Great game.. just finished the regular game. Took me 3 hours. Now off to play the bonus. No tech problems at all. Really enjoying this one.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 18, 13 12:00 PM
Liked game and if you played the other Mystery Trackers it was following in the same manner. Puzzles were fun and HOG's too. Has a map which I like and the toad that gives you hints on where you can go to get your next task done. Like the little dog and he was in the other. The new thing is you can buy things for him from the store. Like the Elephant games as they always are great to play.. Give this 4 out of 5 stars.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 18, 13 1:09 PM
Another wonderful game from the Pachyderm. This game reminds me of the song, "Who let the dogs out?" Now, that song will be in my mind for the rest of the day. Yuk! Somewhere in the world there is an ark and the devs who provide games on this site are adopting all the animals on that ark. Geesh! Personally I believe in the saying "dogs drool and cats rule!" So, although I may like this game, I am not a "dawg" (ala Randy Jackson) person. I see that "Elf" is back and personally I don't like hyper, yippy, little ankle-biters. However, other than that, I really think this dev has upped their game. A much better game to me than the last one of the series. The graphics and logistics are much better. The storyline is better as well. The puzzles and the HOG scenes are pretty much the same. There is really nothing new here except the graphics and storyline are better. So....I will purchase and begrudgingly carry around that little yipper with me to solve some of the puzzles. And can someone explain to me why many of the devs are into animals even using them in their logos? Beyond me.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Jul 18, 13 1:31 PM
I have bought the other Mystery Tracker games and enjoyed them all. This would looks like it will not disappoint me. The graphics, voice over, and useful hints are very good. I buy for me.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jul 18, 13 1:46 PM
After completing the demo, I will also be getting this with 2 game club credits. I have the other 3 in the series, and while I don't think this is as good as, for instance, Raincliff or even Black Isle, I do like it. I'm finding the insider view of the "Agency" a little strange though, and why does the frog (hint button) always tell me what to do in Advanced? For once I would appreciate just an arrow and a direction. I ended up using the map and the hint button sort of in conjunction to make up for the other's deficiencies. I fell in love with Elf when he first showed up and had to be rescued back when, but I agree, there's an awful lot of reliance on him to go into a lot of small spaces, and as much as I love dogs, I don't need to spend game time buying things for him. Did love that he's costumed with the little blue doggie jacket with what looks like a transmitter on it, though. There was one actor with a serious overacting problem (train engineer), who was obviously trying to disguise his voice and came off just badly; there's maybe a little too much explanation/ exposition and, as people have said, achievements mostly come from just playing the game, but still a good, detailed, attractive game. I checked the SG to see if I had missed whether or not there were morphing objects (it doesn't mention any and there aren't any, too bad), and I looked at it one other time when I got myself confused, but unless the bonus game is really great, I'm not sure people couldn't have a perfectly good time with the SE.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jul 18, 13 5:14 PM
Penguin29 wrote:Great game.. just finished the regular game. Took me 3 hours. Now off to play the bonus. No tech problems at all. Really enjoying this one.

YIKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEES
IS IT
THAT SHORT

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 18, 13 9:57 PM
I usually enjoy games from this dev (Elephant) very much. In fact, the "Nutcracker" game from last December was, IMO, the best game of the year. And I also understand that these devs have been very busy with the "free-to-play" game "Found".
But this game is the most disappointing offer drom this group in a very long time. While the graphics and artwork are excellent, the voiceovers, music, and transporting map are great, and the CE extras are the usual, this is the first game I've seen that collapses on itself because of the fact that the story itself is just terrible. And the reason the story fails is the manic, silly, completely overdone inclusion of pets and "cutesy" animals. Many devs seem to have lately come to believe that gamers want to see their carefully drawn, saccharine, oh-so-sugary, almost sickeningly sweet "critters" as either an incidental or, as in this game, a fundamental part of the game. I have no clue where this childish and annoying concept originated, and it's really unimportant ---- but in this game it is so over the top that it ruins the story. The interest in any semblance of a well told tale completely falls apart when you have to consistently get your little critter to fetch this or that, go here or there, do this chore over there, etc. You can't really combine a somewhat spooky tale with all the "cutesy" silliness. It just ruins the impetu s of the story being told. And this game is "cutesy" on steroids, to the poont of being such a distraction that it renders the game nothing more than silly and childish.
I'm not at all interested in collecting cute critters, dressing them, or improving their virtual habitat. I have my own cute critters in RL, thanks.
It's way past time for this trend to be retired as this silly mess clearly shows. Really, devs, enough is enough ---- time to move past the "cutesy" , and get back to crafting interesting, well told stories that do not rely on this tawdry gimmick.

No buy here, of course.

Edited on 07/18/2013 at 10:02:45 PM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jul 18, 13 10:30 PM
I rarely put in my two cents but I just had to come by and say HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!! IT ROCKS.
I don't often buy CE's unless they are SPECTACULAR and this one is absolutely worthy of the CE price.
Thank you BigFish and developers for such a great game.
The gameplay makes sense. I am not getting lost (well not much) I don't have too too much in my inventory at once. The puzzles and minis are not too difficult and fun. The graphics are amazing. Keep it up!

Go to: