bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for League of Light: Dark Omens Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 20, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of League of Light: Dark Omens Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the League of Light: Dark Omens Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for League of Light: Dark Omens Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 20, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 20, 13 1:37 AM
An excellent CE offering here involving a spooky story in a spooky castle with all sorts of mysterious things happening. Basically, you are off to rescue the town elder's daughter and see what's going on with the Dark Lord, who was supposedly defeated long ago.

The graphics/artwork is very nice with a beautiful widescreen presentation.

There is a gorgeously done jump style map that is very helpful, and the hint system is excellent. Never even had to look at the guide.

The music and voiceovers are very good.

The HO scenes are the style of finding an object, then using it in the scene to find the next ---- and they are logical and nicely done.

The puzzles are fun, and not overly difficult.

However, (SPOILER) there are NO cute little critters to find or dress up or improve their little homes. Oh, darn. LOL Instead, this game relies on a well-told, interesting story without that particular silly gimmick. After all, if the game is sound, gimmicks are unnecessary and unwanted. (But there are "other" animals)

Overall, a fine game that should at least be given a try ---- and, with this great sale in progress, it's an easy decision to buy it!!

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 20, 13 2:53 AM
Most Professional & Interesting

BASED ON HALF HOUR DEMO

This game is DIFFERENT from the START, but in subtle ways. Our INTRODUCTION to the STORY has us arriving at a castle to which we have been summoned, where we meet the LEAGUE OF LIGHT. This part is QUALITY CUT SCENE graphics, VOICEOVERS very good, almost LIP SYNCED successfully.

Further BACKSTORY is provided by way of sepia toned comic-style art, and then we are off on our mission, shown in first person, riding a beautiful white steed.

There is a lot of these cut scenes and backstory inserts but I did not find them at all annoying, there is MUCH we need to KNOW and the information is interesting. I like the story, and didn’t find it distracting to find out more of what was going on.

There is lots to do in this game. We have some PROGRESSIVE SILHOUETTE HO SCENES, with the silhouettes actually being pics rendered in GREY SCALE. The GRAPHICS are CLEAR & DETAILED, the mini-puzzles that are part of the HO scene are engaging.

The somewhat-original PUZZLES are LESS FREQUENT and so far NOT DIFFICULT, but then the HOS are NOT NUMEROUS EITHER. We do visit some of them twice.

Mostly this game is about FIGURING OUT solutions to obstacles, i.e. ADVENTURE GAMEPLAY. But it is NOT at all DIFFICULT, the progress is LOGICAL, and we have an INTERACTIVE JUMP MAP, and a JOURNAL. HINT is not much use outside the HO scenes.

The LOOK of this one is VERY PROFESSIONAL, if not mind-blowing artistically, and they have done an excellent job on the BANSHEE – she is REALLY CREEPY.

The DEMO took me only 30 minutes, which has me wondering if this is a SHORT GAME?

BONUS CONTENT

Plenty here too. As well as the STANDARD offerings, gallery items, strategy guide and bonus chapter, we have:

ACHIEVEMENTS, not many, some easy to get, some related to the COLLECTIBLES.

There are 11 BESTIARY SCROLLS to find, and the information they provide about the enemy is useful. They can be read from the JOURNAL.

There are also COLLECTIBLE OWLS (34), and they are NOT EASY to see.

One ACHIEVEMENT includes answering 20 TRIVIA QUESTIONS about the game. COOL.

Also, as we get achievements we get FRESCO PARTS, which can be put together if we get them all. I like that idea.

I’m impressed with this one, no schmaltz, no extravaganzas, but what looks like a darn good tale well told.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jul 20, 13 3:10 AM
The town was taken over by the Dark Lord. His castle had been abandoned for centuries. Now he has returned and kidnapped the daughter of a town elder. You are a member of the Order of Light, there to set things right.

The background story is told in too many cut scenes -- some in black and sepia as in a book, others in paintings that seem to come alive.As you play, you will find 11 scrolls and the beasts they describe.

Played the entire demo -- guess I was hoping it would get better, but alas, it is no more than an activity. The puzzles are insultingly easy. The HOs are interactive. Some are silhouette -- find an item and use it to find the next; unfortunately, the items are labeled. Others are lists. Inventory items get used fairly quickly, and even in Expert mode, black bar info will spoon feed the adventure at every turn.

Three game modes -- Casual has sparkles, fast refill for hints and skips.Quick travel map shows all locations and active tasks. Advanced has no sparkles, longer refills, and the map "shows active tasks after you use a hint." Not sure what that means, since the active tasks are marked when you open the map. Hardcore has no hints, no skips, no sparkles, no map indicators.

Widescreen, voice overs, decent graphics. The game play is fairly linear, and to repeat, much too easy. But it is filled with things to do, covers many locations, the collectibles are the same item but each is unique in appearance. And there are many achievements -- each with three levels to accomplish. I guess you would have to really want to know how the story unfolds to keep playing.

You won't need the Strategy Guide. Of course I do not know if the Bonus Chapter completes the core story. If it doesn't, certainly the other content is not worth the CE. Even with the BOGOF sale, this wouldn't be on my list.

CE Content:
Strategy Guide -- 9 chapters, bonus chapter, location of 34 collectibles
Wallpapers
Concept Art
Music

Edited on 07/20/2013 at 12:07:57 PM PST

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Jul 20, 13 4:50 AM
Shorenuf said it all. Beautiful to look at but not much challenge. Game play during the demo (which I finished in 35 minutes and I am a slow, careful player) was extremely linear (one of my pet peeves) -- you need it, you find it, you use it. The Ho scenes were easy -- they could have been much more but the devs took the easy way out (pun intended). You earn many of the achievements merely by playing the game. I understand the conventionsof these games -- run around and look for things until you find them. But there is no challenge here, only an interesting environment. Disappointing.

I confess that I am also tired of that nasty elf. In every game his character has so much potential that is never realized. Basically, all he does is slam doors in my face...

Edited on 07/20/2013 at 4:54:22 AM PST

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Jul 20, 13 5:56 AM
cbtx wrote:An excellent CE offering here involving a spooky story in a spooky castle with all sorts of mysterious things happening. Basically, you are off to rescue the town elder's daughter and see what's going on with the Dark Lord, who was supposedly defeated long ago.

The graphics/artwork is very nice with a beautiful widescreen presentation.

There is a gorgeously done jump style map that is very helpful, and the hint system is excellent. Never even had to look at the guide.

The music and voiceovers are very good.

The HO scenes are the style of finding an object, then using it in the scene to find the next ---- and they are logical and nicely done.

The puzzles are fun, and not overly difficult.

However, (SPOILER) there are NO cute little critters to find or dress up or improve their little homes. Oh, darn. LOL Instead, this game relies on a well-told, interesting story without that particular silly gimmick. After all, if the game is sound, gimmicks are unnecessary and unwanted. (But there are "other" animals)

Overall, a fine game that should at least be given a try ---- and, with this great sale in progress, it's an easy decision to buy it!!

Well, there's a cute little griffin that you have to return to its mother! And a couple of cute little fire critters also! I hope you're ok with that!

Edited on 10/12/2013 at 8:56:23 PM PST

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Jul 20, 13 6:29 AM
I bought this game instantly and boy am I glad I did! I just finished the main game and I have only one thing to say. It is absolutely amazing! If we're talking about the games of the year well this is definitely one of them.
When least expected, a spectacular game comes out and makes your day!
Developers must be really proud of their work!

Gill_R
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_R on Jul 20, 13 7:48 AM
I've just played the entire game (& bonus game) and while I thought that there were both pros and cons to this game, overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The linear action in the early stages DOES change as the game progresses, which I liked. Good test of the old memory! The puzzles were mostly very easy, but that doesn't upset me because I play these games purely for fun & relaxation. If other things are good, even though my preference is for a mix of difficulties, I'd rather have all easy puzzles than all hard ones.

I thought the graphics were excellent and there lots of different locations to enjoy. There was a fair bit of variety in the HO scenes which were not too frequent and the hint system was good, especially for pointing you in the right direction, to the point I didn't once use the SG.

Can't comment on music or voiceovers because I rarely, if ever, play with sound.

I enjoyed playing spot-the-owl: some of the placements & appearances did raise a smile

The bonus game did seem to be a completely different game, though, although there was some stuff in it to tie it up with the main game. Seemed a decent length too, although I have no idea how long it actually took.

I think my main complaint - and it's a minor one - is that I kept stopping to think how much the game owed to well-know fantasy novels/films: Harry Potter and LOTR in particular.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jul 20, 13 8:57 AM
I'm on the fence with this one. It does fill my widescreen but is stretched out and has a kind of gray/green tint I've been seeing when a game isn't actually sized for widescreen (or at least mine). The setting, 1866 is a total laugh, since other than the opening scene, the clothing is medieval, and the story of the start of the bad times, I believe 100 years before, is also clearly medieval. So why set the game in 1866? The villagers and locals all have Anglo-Saxon names yet live no more than 2 days journey from somewhere in Romania (Rumania in the game). The game ended for me with about 15 mins. to go, and I was thanked for playing it, just after the appearance of a large flying bird that looked like it had escaped from Harry Potter. Oh well. So far my favorite part was collecting owls. The HOS as everyone else has described are easy and quick, and I only skipped a mini-game because I knew time was running. The jump map is really terrific, yes, but overall, I'm not caring that much about the game. Perhaps it's the very linear nature of it, although someone said it gets less so as the game progresses. I have to think about this, but clearly a lot of people really love it and it's definitely worth a try.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 20, 13 11:47 AM
Okay, how many games does that creepy gremlin guy have to be in? He really doesn't add anything to the game, at least not during the demo. There are plenty of other things to keep you busy in this one and they are a lot more fun.

Very nice graphics and game play. I liked the music, which is unusual for me, very soothing. Games were the usual, not difficult and could be skipped without penalty. Hint system very helpful and fills quickly. Nice SG...easy to follow. Very nice jump map (always a plus when you have to return to scenes). HOGS are clean and clear. Find an item and then use it to find the next one. Haven't played the entire game, so don't know if they change it up or just leave the HOGs are is. There are not very many items to find in any of the HOGs either.

As usual, do not care for the fact that all chapters are not listed in the demo, so can't even guess how long or short the game may be. Demo ended much too quickly...still had 29 minutes of play, so may not be a very long game (however, I have been wrong before).

Voice overs are well done and appropriate for the setting and scenery. You need to find 34 owls, which are not difficult to see. You just have to remember to look for them. Also some scrolls to find that add to the story, which you are filled in on along the way. This was not a very challenging game, but it was a nice one. With the special this weekend, I think I will need to get this one and another that has been swimming around in my puddle for a while.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care fo this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 20, 13 12:22 PM
I played this game as a preview, and have been eagerly waiting for its release. Try it you'll like it or not. I'm off to buy, especially with the sale on now.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jul 20, 13 3:38 PM
Just finished. took me 5 hrs. Really enjoyed this one.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 20, 13 3:45 PM
Most everyone has commented on this game so I have very little to say that hasn't been said and very little time today to do so. But, I couldn't let the day pass without seeing what the CE is for the weekend. The newest commentators on these games are doing such an excellent job especially Just the Facts. I don't think we need a laundry list of features on these games - like duh - everyone knows that there is voice. Isn't this just an accepted part of a CE game? I like this game. It is rather campy and reminds me of the old movies from the 1960's? (I think) from the now defunct Hammer studios in England. Loving those old movies makes me love this game. Yes, I hate to admit I watch "some" movies from the TCM network. Actually I like the fact there are few HOG scenes in this game. Adventurer Sunny hates fine swine or any smelly HOGS and the fewer of those scenes the better! And a big thank you to BF for providing us with several weeks of savings on these CE's (and my mom's plastic likes it as well. Since this membership is a Xmas gift from her, maybe I should hit her up for more games? Forget that one! LOL). BF is doing a fine job in providing great games recently and there is a big thank you from some of us on this site. You are always going to have complainers (I am one as well). Keep up the good work!!! Big smiles to the great Big fish people. Sending rainbows and balloons for my favorite game people!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 20, 13 4:05 PM
dancemom1 wrote:Okay, how many games does that creepy gremlin guy have to be in? He really doesn't add anything to the game, at least not during the demo. There are plenty of other things to keep you busy in this one and they are a lot more fun.

Yes, I too wondered about his guest appearance, but he is a Smoggle (sp) as explained later in the game.

What a fun game. Lots to do, entertaining story with some nice extra touches such as looking through the window in the door to the torture chamber, Lady Larkin's smile, and of course the Banshee.
I'm not sure about the tag of "Easy", but the game flows smoothly and it is accessible without having to be member of Mensa. No searrching for something over dozens of scenes or carrying an item from the start to finish (as per the diving helmet in Nightmare at Sea).If you need an item, you will find it within a couple of scenes and use an item "soon" once you have found something. You even get to use a feather duster on cobwebs instead of flame etc. And the puzzles I have completed so far have been of the shorter type and quite acceptable IMHO.
Don't let your experience of the Trial/sample version determine the game's length. There is a LOT more to achieve.

Playing and viewing games for their enjoyment factor is important to me, especially at this point in time rather than testing out my frustration tolerance level. And for what its worth, this game comes up trumps.

Cheers
Edited - just met Lady Larkin

Edited on 07/20/2013 at 8:24:01 PM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jul 21, 13 7:10 AM
Another great CE, and BFG is on sale too! Great storyline, easy mini puzzles, interactive maps, Hos, owl collectibles, bonus chapters and 3d like wallpapers

Cookie cutter formula, but I am such a sucker that I love it

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 22, 13 12:07 PM
I now understand the "Guest appearance" as there is another special "Guest" in the Bonus game. That and the credits explains all

I have finished and enjoyed this game very much. I own the others so, once again, I can't enjoy the Bundle sale but I did buy it in the weekend 2 for 1.

The game has very good length and does get more difficult as you move along. I played the easiest mode and for a while thought it was too easy but it got more difficult and the puzzles a little tougher later in the game.

I enjoyed this very much, Thanks Big Fish!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jul 27, 13 6:20 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game and everything about it. The mini-games were easy, however, still enjoyable to play. The graphics were very nice, the music, not annoying, the storyline easy to follow, and finding where to use the objects in the inventory was also easy to figure out. Probably some players that like more of a challenge will not like this game, as it is fairly easy - but still FUN to play!!. I haven't read the reviews yet (not like me at all!!), but went ahead and bought the game and I am not sorry I did. NOW I will read the reviews and see whom I agree with and not!! Have Fun with this one!!

feenix

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jul 27, 13 6:22 PM
I must add to my review above, this had to be the BEST JUMP MAP EVER!!! All the Devs should learn from this format. LOVED IT!!!

feenix

MHly
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

[Post New]by MHly on Aug 1, 13 8:09 AM
I just begin to play, but I already love this game!

Go to: