bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Calavera: Day of the Dead

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 21, 13 12:29 AM
She said yes! Alan was finally going to marry his sweetheart, Catalina. She only had one small request before the wedding, to ask for her father’s blessing. The young couple travels to the small town in Mexico where her father is from, arriving just in time for the annual Day of the Dead celebration. But when he doesn’t meet them at the train station, that’s only the beginning of their problems. Is it just the heat, or did that book talk to you? And that guy is definitely wearing a skeleton mask, right? Cross the border between life and death in this festive Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Calavera: Day of the Dead

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 21, 13 1:12 AM
Hi, all...

This is a great game. I have been waiting for the SE (trying to wean myself off CEs), and here it is !!

This game has 7 chapters, and there are 3 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over - si si, there is.

There is no widescreen for my laptop, even though there is an option for widescreen.

There is a choice of a custom and system cursor.

The Hint button takes about 45 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

At the left is your MAP, which you will get a short while into the game. In Casual mode, it shows you where you are (a halo shows you where you are), where actions are needed (exclamation mark), and it can be used to jump.

HOS (hidden object scenes) are partly interactive.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 50 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

The Inventory can be locked to stay on top, or unlocked to move below until needed.

And there is this funny book at the left, which also holds the Map. The book (el libro) talks to you and helps you out from time to time.

--- --- ---

With the CE you get the following:

- Achievements

- 26 Skulls to be collected

- Documents/papers to be collected

You won't get the achievements and can't collect the skulls in the SE version, but am not sure about the documents. Don't know whether they are part of the main game anyway or just an added extra for the CE.

--- --- ---

The graphics are very well done, as are the animations, and I am strangely fascinated with this game. It's funny and witty, (el libro being the funny and witty one).

I really like the story, and am very interested to see how it continues after I purchase the game on Monday.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jul 21, 13 7:13 AM
I must be getting close to the end now but I've found a bug and can't go on. I bought the CE on sale and I'm really enjoying it. Some of the games are very challenging and some I thought were kind of silly. I don't like puzzles based on pure chance rather than logic. But all in all, a really, really good game I think.

kindergal
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,283 Posts

[Post New]by kindergal on Jul 21, 13 8:36 AM
Thank you Just The Facts and Valdy...now that I know the SE is complete and the game is good, I will get it with a PCC tomorrow.
M appreciation for all the reviewers who do such a wonderful job of helping all of us.

ark161
Clownfish
Clownfish
611 Posts

[Post New]by ark161 on Jul 21, 13 10:14 AM
mm i dont know se is not downloading for me

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 21, 13 2:08 PM
say ark161,
get in touch with TECH support and they will help you............

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 22, 13 7:30 AM
I purchased this game today, and just finished it. I loved everything about it.

I didn't find it too long (I think I played just over 3 hours), The story kept me interested throughout the game, and I never got bored once. What a refreshing change from the HOGs I often see and which send me to sleep within the hour.

Very well done.

Go to: